Harvin and Tate test positive for weed at combine

Re: Harvin and Tate test positive for weed at combine

I mean, to each his or her own. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gambling. We all bend the rules at times....but don't get on a soapbox about the law when you're illegally betting on sporting events. Ya know?
Yeah, when I went to Catholic school they said something about throwing stones & living in glass houses.:cheers

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

ok gym time for me...but i look forward to coming back to see what other useless opinionated drivel she can come up with

i saw it....I think I'll go by what a highly reputable medical staff at the University of Michigan says over a freelance journalist with the approval of an MD says
You could have mentioned ANY other university & I would have been fine with that!:+textinb3

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

i saw it....I think I'll go by what a highly reputable medical staff at the University of Michigan says over a freelance journalist with the approval of an MD says

That's the thing though Tim, all places view it differently. Michigan just legalized Medical Marijuana, and if you read the articles in the Michigan School paper after it was legalized, there were articles arguing the same point I just argued. Everyone has done different studies and come up with different results. There's no doubt that it's not good to smoke Cigg's or Weed, but at this time both sides could be argued to be worse. I did read your article, but I've also read 100's of articles on the other side, from well respected MD's.

To each his own. I gave you at least one respected study, from a CONSERVATIVE source as well. 12io4j2w90

Yeah, it's not like he quoted a doctor who is part of UCLA's school of medicine or anything. :+textinb3

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

Wow, at least I know the laws regarding my vice. You should do the same.

can we call in the Shrink or Ray Cabino on this? It is illegal to book...not gamble offshore....dont ya think they would have been locked up by now or atleast been hit with some type of citation if it were illegal?

can we call in the Shrink or Ray Cabino on this? It is illegal to book...not gamble offshore....dont ya think they would have been locked up by now or atleast been hit with some type of citation if it were illegal?
I guess like marijuana, it depends which state you gamble in.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

It's illegal to send money to an illegal operation, that's why the processors always going down, but it's not technically illegal TO BET offshore. If the offshore books agreed to the tax that the gov't wants to inflict on them, it would be 100% legal.

It's illegal to send money to an illegal operation, that's why the processors always going down, but it's not technically illegal TO BET offshore. If the offshore books agreed to the tax that the gov't wants to inflict on them, it would be 100% legal.
FWIW, I have a prescription to make bad wagers!:shoot:

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006

Just before taking recess in 2006, Congress passed the SAFE Port Act, which was written to increase security of U.S. Port, but attached to the SAFE Port Act was the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, which prohibits Americans from using credit cards, electronic funds transfers, or checks to to finance Internet gambling activity.
It's important to note, the act deals only with how Internet gambling accounts are funded, not the actual betting.

But why do you have to gamble off-shore? Because it's illegal in the US, no? Why do some off-sore gambling sites not allow members from the US anymore? You found away around the laws, but that doesn't make it any more legal in the US, does it?

Shrink can't get locked up because of that whole "free speech" thing. He can have a website about whatever he wants.

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006

Just before taking recess in 2006, Congress passed the SAFE Port Act, which was written to increase security of U.S. Port, but attached to the SAFE Port Act was the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, which prohibits Americans from using credit cards, electronic funds transfers, or checks to to finance Internet gambling activity.
It's important to note, the act deals only with how Internet gambling accounts are funded, not the actual betting.

Okay, so either way, you're breaking the law if you're betting off shore, right? I guess that was my point. The laws are a little fuzzy around off shore betting, but I knew it wasn't completely legal.

In any case, all I was saying is that it's a little silly to be preaching laws when you break them yourself. Again, I'm not judging. I break the law every day. Hell, I have a lead foot, so I break the law before 8:00 am every day. Sometimes I pass on the right too.

felonee

EOG Veteran

My point was that only black guys get caught testing positive... for whatever reason....

My point was that only black guys get caught testing positive... for whatever reason....

Huh...you have a point there. I can't think of any white dudes that tested positive...but I also don't usually follow this stuff all that closely. Thank god for Michael Phelps or everyone would think white people don't know how to party. :+textinb3

Exactly how stupid do you have to be to test positive for weed these days? I know most tests will pick up those system cleansers, but there's always NOT smoking for a couple months. I mean, I quit smoking while I was looking for a job...why can't these guys do the same for what's really the ost important job interview of their lives? Stupid.

Huh...you have a point there. I can't think of any white dudes that tested positive...but I also don't usually follow this stuff all that closely. Thank god for Michael Phelps or everyone would think white people don't know how to party. :+textinb3
Matt Jones doesn't fuck with weed.
He needs to go 0-100 in 5 seconds flat!:snort:

Phelps never failed a drug test

I know, I was making a joke because of that picture that came out. Sorry the thread got so off track. I didn't even know both of those guys are black to be completely honest....but I know Kevin Faulk is. I think he got busted last year.

Exactly how stupid do you have to be to test positive for weed these days? I know most tests will pick up those system cleansers, but there's always NOT smoking for a couple months. I mean, I quit smoking while I was looking for a job...why can't these guys do the same for what's really the ost important job interview of their lives? Stupid.
Get Whizzinator.
I hear they are "fun for the whole team"!:+friendly

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

felonee there are about 5 black players to every 1 white player in the NFL, so I'd guess the ratio is probably similar.

Also, where does it say anywhere in there that gambling offshore is illegal?

Alexander Mundy

EOG Enthusiast

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCraig%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I would love for you to find that information where marijuana does not pose more of a cancer risk than cigarrettes.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
This (and similar remarks) is disingenuous.
Whatever side of the issue one is on, it is never helpful (or respectful toward others) to present one?s points dishonestly in an effort to ?win.?
The fallacy is in the subtle move from the claim that marijuana has more cancer causing agents than cigarettes, to the claim that smoking marijuana puts one at greater risk of developing cancer than does smoking cigarettes.
The conclusion does not follow from the premise.
It?s entirely possible for a substance to contain more known or possible carcinogens and yet to be less of a cancer risk, for a number of reasons.
1. The degree to which things are carcinogens can vary. If X gives one person in a million cancer, and Y gives one person in a million cancer, and Z gives one person in ten cancer, then a substance that contains X and Y has more carcinogens than a substance that contains Z, yet the second substance is much more of a cancer hazard.
2. The amount of a given carcinogen that things have can vary. If two substances contain the carcinogen X, it could be the case that one contains it in mass quantities and the other in barely measurable traces.
3. Different things are used in different amounts by people. Even if two substances had the same carcinogens in the same quantities, it still might be the case that one is a substance users typically consume all day, and the other is a substance users typically consume much less frequently. If beer and whiskey contained the identical amount of some carcinogen, for instance, it would be more of a concern with beer, because beer drinkers tend to consume a great deal more ounces of beer than whiskey drinkers consume of whiskey.
4. Different combinations of ingredients react differently chemically. The sum cancer risk can be more, or less, than the apparent cancer risk of its parts. For instance, carcinogens A + B + C might be no worse in combination than separately, whereas D + E might be much worse in combination than separately. Or a substance may contain ingredients that partly counteract some of its carcinogens, while another substance?s carcinogens may have no such impediment present.
5. Different things cause cancer at different rates. Let?s say X would cause cancer in one in a hundred people who use it, and Y would cause cancer in one in a hundred people who use it (or even one in fifty), but X users on average get cancer in two years and Y users on average get cancer in sixty years. Cancer is a lot less of a concern with Y, because it takes so long to develop most people will be dead of other things before it has a chance to, and even if they do last long enough to get cancer, they?ll lose a lot fewer years of their life to cancer on average than X users will.
6. Some cancers are worse than others. What if X and Y both cause cancer, but X causes an invariably fatal cancer that causes a particularly horrible death filled with much suffering, while Y causes a type of cancer that nowadays is easily curable in most cases?
So until you?ve investigated these, and other, matters, you cannot simply count up the number of carcinogens in a substance and draw conclusions about the risk its use poses to people.
In point of fact, when we apply these considerations to marijuana and cigarettes specifically, we find that not only is it possible for a substance with more carcinogens to pose less of a cancer risk, but in this case it?s in all likelihood factual.
At least some studies have indicated that marijuana contains more known and possible carcinogens than cigarettes; one I recall gave a figure of marijuana containing 150% the number of carcinogens as cigarettes. However, studies consistently show cigarette use leading to cancer vastly more often than marijuana use leads to cancer. In fact, the debate seems to be whether marijuana use increases the cancer rate marginally or not at all.
Why? It?s speculative, but one theory is that the THC or some other ingredient in marijuana somehow counteracts the carcinogens in marijuana.
In any case, cigarette smokers drop dead of cancer in great numbers. Marijuana smokers do not.
That doesn?t mean there aren?t other health risks with marijuana, such as various respiratory ailments caused by holding smoke in one?s lungs.
It?s also important to keep in mind the earlier point that substances in combination do not always have the same cancer risk as the same substances separately. Specifically, there is evidence that cigarette and marijuana use combined has a greater cancer risk than what it would be if you simply added the risks of using them separately. That is to say, the differential in cancer risk between smoking only cigarettes versus smoking cigarettes plus marijuana, appears to be substantially greater than the (near zero) differential between smoking neither versus smoking only marijuana.

felonee

EOG Veteran

I just don't ever remember EVER seeing a white guy test positive for weed in the NFL... (or get arrested with it) (or getting caught with a fake dick)..

<META content=Word.Document name=ProgId><META content="Microsoft Word 11" name=Generator><META content="Microsoft Word 11" name=Originator><LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCraig%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE> I would love for you to find that information where marijuana does not pose more of a cancer risk than cigarrettes.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This (and similar remarks) is disingenuous.
Whatever side of the issue one is on, it is never helpful (or respectful toward others) to present one?s points dishonestly in an effort to ?win.?
The fallacy is in the subtle move from the claim that marijuana has more cancer causing agents than cigarettes, to the claim that smoking marijuana puts one at greater risk of developing cancer than does smoking cigarettes.
The conclusion does not follow from the premise.
It?s entirely possible for a substance to contain more known or possible carcinogens and yet to be less of a cancer risk, for a number of reasons.
1. The degree to which things are carcinogens can vary. If X gives one person in a million cancer, and Y gives one person in a million cancer, and Z gives one person in ten cancer, then a substance that contains X and Y has more carcinogens than a substance that contains Z, yet the second substance is much more of a cancer hazard.
2. The amount of a given carcinogen that things have can vary. If two substances contain the carcinogen X, it could be the case that one contains it in mass quantities and the other in barely measurable traces.
3. Different things are used in different amounts by people. Even if two substances had the same carcinogens in the same quantities, it still might be the case that one is a substance users typically consume all day, and the other is a substance users typically consume much less frequently. If beer and whiskey contained the identical amount of some carcinogen, for instance, it would be more of a concern with beer, because beer drinkers tend to consume a great deal more ounces of beer than whiskey drinkers consume of whiskey.
4. Different combinations of ingredients react differently chemically. The sum cancer risk can be more, or less, than the apparent cancer risk of its parts. For instance, carcinogens A + B + C might be no worse in combination than separately, whereas D + E might be much worse in combination than separately. Or a substance may contain ingredients that partly counteract some of its carcinogens, while another substance?s carcinogens may have no such impediment present.
5. Different things cause cancer at different rates. Let?s say X would cause cancer in one in a hundred people who use it, and Y would cause cancer in one in a hundred people who use it (or even one in fifty), but X users on average get cancer in two years and Y users on average get cancer in sixty years. Cancer is a lot less of a concern with Y, because it takes so long to develop most people will be dead of other things before it has a chance to, and even if they do last long enough to get cancer, they?ll lose a lot fewer years of their life to cancer on average than X users will.
6. Some cancers are worse than others. What if X and Y both cause cancer, but X causes an invariably fatal cancer that causes a particularly horrible death filled with much suffering, while Y causes a type of cancer that nowadays is easily curable in most cases?
So until you?ve investigated these, and other, matters, you cannot simply count up the number of carcinogens in a substance and draw conclusions about the risk its use poses to people.
In point of fact, when we apply these considerations to marijuana and cigarettes specifically, we find that not only is it possible for a substance with more carcinogens to pose less of a cancer risk, but in this case it?s in all likelihood factual.
At least some studies have indicated that marijuana contains more known and possible carcinogens than cigarettes; one I recall gave a figure of marijuana containing 150% the number of carcinogens as cigarettes. However, studies consistently show cigarette use leading to cancer vastly more often than marijuana use leads to cancer. In fact, the debate seems to be whether marijuana use increases the cancer rate marginally or not at all.
Why? It?s speculative, but one theory is that the THC or some other ingredient in marijuana somehow counteracts the carcinogens in marijuana.
In any case, cigarette smokers drop dead of cancer in great numbers. Marijuana smokers do not.
That doesn?t mean there aren?t other health risks with marijuana, such as various respiratory ailments caused by holding smoke in one?s lungs.
It?s also important to keep in mind the earlier point that substances in combination do not always have the same cancer risk as the same substances separately. Specifically, there is evidence that cigarette and marijuana use combined has a greater cancer risk than what it would be if you simply added the risks of using them separately. That is to say, the differential in cancer risk between smoking only cigarettes versus smoking cigarettes plus marijuana, appears to be substantially greater than the (near zero) differential between smoking neither versus smoking only marijuana.
Great Post!:cheers

I just don't ever remember EVER seeing a white guy test positive for weed in the NFL... (or get arrested with it) (or getting caught with a fake dick)..
Either have I.
The law of averages says that it HAS happened though.
I understand your point. Sure alot of cases have been "swept under the rug".12io4j2w90

Alexander, that was impressive. 12io4j2w90

I didn't even pick up on the cancer causing agents vs. actual risk of cancer.

Alexander Mundy

EOG Enthusiast

The analogy with online gambling is actually a fairly good one.
Not because the UIGEA made such gambling illegal. It did not. The UIGEA authorized certain banking regulations concerning transactions to be used for gambling. That is, it told banks what to do and not do; it did not criminalize anything as regards the customers seeking the transactions.
In fact, there is nothing at the federal level making betting illegal. There are however, laws in almost all states against gambling that would apply to online wagering. These laws are never enforced against gamblers (as opposed to bookies), and in most cases they are archaic laws that everyone ignores.
But the point is, in most jurisdictions in this country, betting online is technically illegal. So if that?s all that?s relevant, if it?s all about legality, and the mere fact of illegality justifies a ?zero tolerance? policy of maximal punishment and the termination of careers and such, then the hammer should come down as hard as possible on gamblers.
On the other hand, if laws vary in how just they are, and how enforced they are, and how fitting it is for non-law enforcement third parties to concern themselves with them, and if we want to follow a principle of avoiding manufacturing adverse consequences to an act that are wildly disproportionate to the wrongness of the act, then it would be advisable instead to examine ?crimes? of gambling, or marijuana use, or anything else, on a case by case basis to decide what actions, if any, to take against them.

The analogy with online gambling is actually a fairly good one.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
Not because the UIGEA made such gambling illegal. It did not. The UIGEA authorized certain banking regulations concerning transactions to be used for gambling. That is, it told banks what to do and not do; it did not criminalize anything as regards the customers seeking the transactions.
In fact, there is nothing at the federal level making betting illegal. There are however, laws in almost all states against gambling that would apply to online wagering. These laws are never enforced against gamblers (as opposed to bookies), and in most cases they are archaic laws that everyone ignores.
But the point is, in most jurisdictions in this country, betting online is technically illegal. So if that?s all that?s relevant, if it?s all about legality, and the mere fact of illegality justifies a ?zero tolerance? policy of maximal punishment and the termination of careers and such, then the hammer should come down as hard as possible on gamblers.
On the other hand, if laws vary in how just they are, and how enforced they are, and how fitting it is for non-law enforcement third parties to concern themselves with them, and if we want to follow a principle of avoiding manufacturing adverse consequences to an act that are wildly disproportionate to the wrongness of the act, then it would be advisable instead to examine ?crimes? of gambling, or marijuana use, or anything else, on a case by case basis to decide what actions, if any, to take against them.
Too bad Tim isn't Here. Alex is throwing Haymakers!:suit:

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

marijuana has MORE carcinogens than tobacco...hell even timely's article about how marijuana supposedly doesnt cause cancer more than tobacco states that....sorry Alex, you get grouped with Sweded on the stupid factor but to a lesser degree:thumbsup nobody can top her