2009 College Football Notebook

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated
Re: 2009 College Football Notebook

VIRGINIA TECh
Hokies head coach Frank Beamer says his team needs to get back to taking care of business because there's a lot of football yet to be payed. The No.14 Hokies were ushered out of the national championship race with a loss to No. 11 Georgia Tech two Saturdays ago and step back into the spotlight tonight. That's when North Carolina comes to Lane Stadium in the first of back-to-back Thursday games for Tech. The Tar Heels are 4-3 overall but 0-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference's Coastal Division. Beamer says coach Butch Davis' team has shown steady improvement and that a weekend off to watch college football just highlighted that there are upsets every weekend. Virginia Tech (5-2,3-1) is 5-0 against the Tar Heels since joining the ACC in 2004.

MICHIGAN STATE
Spartan reserve running backs Caulton Ray and Andre Anderson have been removed form the team's active roster. Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio confirmed the move yesterday but did not elaborate. Ray is a redshirt freshman who has rushed 40 times for 156 yards and a touchdown this season. Anderson, a sophomore, had two carries for four yards. Both played on special teams and appeared in seven of Michigan State's eight games. Both had fallen behind freshmen Larry Caper and Edwin Baker on the dept chart. Michigan State is 4-4 headed into Saturday's game at Minnesota 4-4).

ALABAMA
The Tide enters its bye week knowing their defense slipped a little and its offense slid a lot in national college football statistics following a 12-10 victory over Tennessee. The unit that led the nation in total defense last week now is ranked No. 4. Bama's average dropped to 240 yards per game. It came into the game allowing 226 yards per game, but it allowed 341 on Saturday to the Vols. In holding Tennessee to 76 net yards rushing, Alabama moved up one spot to No. 2 in the nation in rushing defense (64 ypg). Texas is No. 1 at 41 yards per game. Alabama remains No. 4 in scoring defense (11 ppg). Penn State (8.88) leads the nation. The Tide now is ranked 34th in the nation in total offense (410 ypg). It was ranked 21st last week. Houston (537) leads the nation.

CHICK-FIL-A BOWL
The Chick-fil-A Bowl and the Atlantic Coast Conference have agreed to a four year extension that will keep the conference's first selection after the BCS coming to the game at the Georgia Dome. The bowl will have the first pick of ACC teams after the BCS selections through the 2013 season. The league has held that selection since 2006. This year's game will be played December 31. The bowl game matches a SEC team against an ACC team.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

NORTH CAROLINA AT VIRGINIA TECH (Tonight)

North Carolina has lost five games vs Virginia Tech, but only two of the five were by more than seven points. The Tar Heels have lost three of their last four games, blowing a 24-6 third quarter lead last time out. In their last four games, they've been outscored 53-20 in the second half. UNC has no interceptions in their last four games against I-A opponents. Virginia Tech is 2-1 as home favorites so for this year, with wins by 1-42-24-34 points. The Hokies have owned Thursday nights on ESPN by covering the spread 17-3 last twenty. ACC home favorites are 7-8 vs the spread in divisional play.

DOWN UNDER: A trio of under trends are coming together for tonight's game. The Under is 10-1 in Tech's last 11 Thursday night games. The Under is 15-5 in Tech's last 20 home games, and the Under is 4-1 in the last five meeting between UNC and VT, all won by the Hokies.

I will pass on the side but lean toward the Under. GL

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Bigdaddy, having a few beverages with some of the gang and you came up. Hope
all is well our friend. I PM The Shrink concerning your situation but he never replied.
Our gang never, ever forgets loyal posters....damn shame how things developed.

The Shrink should bust your ass with some consideration. Jesus, anyone read the
Asylum.....goddamn junk should be barred. Your charges are silly compared to that
garbage. Some mod got their panties in a wrong position. You crossed them...jesus.

Hang in there and hopefully you will join us in the near future. We miss your college
football insights. Oregon/ SC would love to know your preference.

Clover and gang, great time for our boys in Crimson to have a week of rest. We need to heal up some tired legs. I know it was ugly but any win over the big orange is a big win for Bama. Was hoping for a out come like last year but I knew they would come to play and they did, just like the last one it was a hard hitting game. Good to see some of the younger guys play well, like Nico Johnson, the kid will be a good one before he leaves, big htter !! Afew days off and then get ready for those LSU Tigers, myself I'am looking for our running game with little Big man Ingram to get the ball more. Hope our play calling gets a little better down in the red zone, think we should have stayed with the run more I thought, but thats me I like running Ingram behind those big hogs of ours and the little man can carry the rock !! I've got good some really good seats next week, it should be a good one, don't see much scoring but some damn good defense from both sides !! Take care boys and have a big week, give me some winners this week, damn I could use some !!!! "ROLL TIDE ROLL" :cheers