2009 College Football Notebook

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated
This thread is for those who LOVE college football. Please post good
information about your favorite team. Good info during the season can
equal money and that's what we are here for. This is not a thread for
(BASHING). Losers fit that category and are boring...dine a dozen. You
losers just start your own thread and leave us the hell along. WINNERS,
let's have fun this season. And we will...................

Auburn
The kickoff time for the Auburn-West Virginia football game has been set. The
September 19th game will start at 6:45 p.m. at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Either
ESPN or ESPN2 will broadcast the game. The network will decide which after
the previous weekend . The new SEC television contract means at least 11
of Auburn's 12 games this season will be televised. The only other announ-
ment has been that the Auburn/Alabama game November 27, will be tele-
vised by CBS at 1:30 p.m..

Florida International
At FIU, the economic downturn is nothing to cheer about. FIU eliminated its
cheerleading team Wednesday part of a plan to cut more than $1 million
from the athletic budget. More cuts, including layoffs and other unspecified reductions will be announced in the coming weeks. Some travel by the
football team may be restricted. (means by bus)

Washington
Old news but just like his dad, Nick Montana will wear a golden helmet in
college but won't be ND. Joe's son has given a commitment to play for
Washington. He will be a senior at Oaks Christian High School (Cal) this
fall. He told his coach Bill Redell that he just felt Washington was the
place. He also liked Alabama in the the SEC. Best wishes for the young
Montana and hope he fares better than another famous QB's son, John
Elway. His son just quit football as a highly regarded football QB.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere
Re: 2009 College Football Notebook

Look forward to this thread. Thanks for the start Clover. 91023i2ndw;l

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

TENNESSEE
Tenessee and North Carolina State will meet for the first time since 1939 when they open
their 2012 seasons in the Georgia Dome. Tennessee and N.C. State have split the only
games they have played before continuing the traditional of a Southeastern Conference
team facing an Atlantic Coast Conference team in the season opening game called the
Chick-fil-A College Kickoff. The game, scheduled for September 1, 2012, is organized
by the Chick-fil-A Bowl committee and was called "the Daytona 500 of college football,"
by bowl president Gary Stokan, who just announced the matchup. Alabama will play
Virginia Tech in this year's opener September 5th. The Tide beat Clemson before a sellout
crowd of 70,097 in the 2008 game.

KANSAS STATE
K State suspended two longtime athletic administrators recently but refused to say why. Speculation immediately arose whether the suspension with pay of Jim Epps and
Bob Cavello had anything to do with the controversial and allegedly secret agreement
to funnel $3.2 million to fired football coach Ron Prince, which the school has challenged in court. When ask by The Associated Press if the suspensions were related th the Prince controversy, athletic director John Currie referred to a one paragraph statement the school was in the process of sending out. The second sentence states, "This decision is not bsed upon any concerns about miscondut on the part of either individual."

tango papa

EOG Addicted

Tell ya something that's got me concerned, Clover: a possible attitude change in Maryland's Ralph Friedgen. Heard on an ESPN show that he's lost 80 lbs. He's always been a relatively sure bet-against early in the season (ATS). For example: he's 2-7 ATS in his first three lined games the L3Y. And he's only 1-7 ATS since '03 vs non-BCSers. My stats are based on Don Best closing lines. I'm giving him a season off to check the results.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Thanks men.

SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE
Bad news for cold weather conferences. The SEC clinched its fifth national championship of the school year this week with LSU's baseball crown, and maybe one of the prime reasons for all this success is the most obvious one: Maybe more quality recruits prefer heading to warm weather schools than ones where it snows regularly. Sure, there are other factors, such as the SEC's overwhelming interest in doing well in sports and the smart financial decisions of the league's leadership, which has allowed its member schools to build inflated athletics budgets. But sunny days help, too. It's hard to forget former SEC football player of the year Shaun Alexander's anecdotes about his recruiting trips when he was a star prospect from Northern Kentucky. He paid a visit to the University of Michigan, which had a football program he loved as a child. However, after a scary drive on snowy roads to campus, he marked the Wolverines off his list and began looking South. He chose Alabama.

AUBURN
Three Tiger football players will not return for their second season. Linebacker Marcus Jemison, defensive lineman JoMarcus Savage and safety Christian Thompson have left the team. It wasn't clear if they left of their own accord or were dismissed. Thompson was the lonly one of the three to see action as a freshman. He had one tackle but played a bigger role during the spring with starters Zac Etheridge and Mike McNeil limited by injuries. Jemison and Savage had redshirted after sustaining injuries.

SOUTH CAROLINA
Gamecock athletics director Eric Hyman received a five year contract extension Friday, tying him to the school until 2015. There won't be a raise, but the move gives Hyman a mandate to continue revamping South Carolina's facilities. Hyman was hired in 2005. His original five year contract called for $375,000 in guaranteed compensation and another $75,000 in incentives. That guarantee has risen to $422,000 since then. Hyman is also set to earn $250,000 in a retirement fund that comes due in 2010.

TANGO PAPA
Good to hear from you again. Ralph needed to lose weight. To me, he was a bad example for the players. Appreciate your input Bud.

I do not see the Auburn losses as substantial. They will have little impact on the team. That is important to a team trying to find it's identity.

This could be the end of the line for the Friedge at Maryland. James Franklin is their "coach in waiting". Maryland has a lot of youth on this team. That may not translate into wins this year, but if Friedgen decides to leave, he will leave the cupboard rather full for Franklin.

Alabama is going to appeal the punishment handed down to them by the NCAA. They may as well appeal to an Auburn fan. When are these schools going to figure out that the NCAA is a dictatorship, and the more you tick them off, the worse it will get for you in the long run.

USC has a yet another QB debate. Should they Redshirt Freshman QB Matt Barkley or not? A lot will be decided after the Ohio State game. Aaron Corp is only a Sophmore. If he shows that he can handle the team against extreme pressure (Ohio State in Columbus is as tough as it gets), there would be no reason not to redshirt Barkley. Pete Carroll is not real big on Redshirting people,but this would seem like a great time to do so, especiallyif a Sophmore QB (Corp) can show that he can handle the team.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BigDaddy, a lot of schools would love to have Southern Cal's problem at quarterback. Somehow ole Pete comes up with some outstanding talent at that position. Mustain, who started as a freshman at Arkansas may not even play at USC. Bet he wishes he was still with the Razorbacks especially with the new coaching staff. Good stuff BD.

OKLAHOMA
On Thursday, the Oklahoma Board of Regents approved a new seven year, $30.125 million contract for head coach Bob Stoops that includes incentives for remaining with the program. Should he remain with the Sooner program through 2011, Stoops would be paid close to $5 million annually.

ALABAMA
In what is typically the slowest time of the year for Alabama coach Nick Saban, talk of a contract extension has surfaced. According to published reports, Saban is in the preliminary stages of negotiating a contract extension with university officials. The coach, who last week said he was preparing to take some time off at his Georgia lake house, is weeks from entering the third year of an eight year contract worth $32 million. When Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa in 2007, his contract was the richest in the history of college football. Since then, a list of coaches that includes Notre Dame's Charlie Weis, LSU's Les Miles and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops have joined the race to be the highest paid in the business. According to Forbes, USC's Pete Carroll makes $4.4 million a season to take the top prize. Saban has a 19-8 record at Alabama and a 105-50 overall college coaching record that includes the 2003 national title at LSU.

BAMA con't
Of the four penalties handed down by the NCAA earlier this month, Alabama is preparing to fight just one. Only 21 vacated football wins and a vacated 2007 NCAA men's tennis tournament victory will be challenged, according to the official Notice of Appeal released by the university Friday. The other penalties stemming from the scandal involving textbook distribution to student athletes included a public reprimand, fine of $43,900 and three additional years of probation, and they were not part of the appeal.

Why is it that these schools want to fight the vacated wins? Don't they realize taht they can not win? By doing so only ticks off the NCAA, and that means trouble. With a dictatorship like the NCAA, you keep your mouth shut and take your medicine. Alabama was already on probation when this occurred. You can bet that the NCAA will be watching them like a hawk for protesting their decision, just like they will be watching Florida State until Bowden finally does that school a favor and retires.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

TENNESSEE
The Vol's need a quarterback for the future, according to head coach Lane Kiffin. "It's very important," Kiffin said on a radio show last week, "especially when we haven't had one for a couple of years sign." Of Tennessee's nine comitments, only two are slated to play offense. While quarterbacks are committing elsewhere, UT is still searching. Kiffin missed out on Andrew Hendrix from Moeller High School in Cincinati, who committed to Notre Dame on Thursday. UT prospect Jesse Scroggins from Lakewood (Cal) High School has some thinking to do after receiving a scholarship offer from Southern Cal on Thursday. Scroggins has said he's down to USC, UT and Florida. As UT's coaches take a summer vacation, Kiffin said he's pleased with the foundation that his staff has laid for the 2010 class. A quarterback or two would be nice though.

GEORGIA
The Bulldogs received their 10th verbal commitment and sixth from the state of Florida late Thursday night from linebacker Deon Rogers of Port St. Lucie, Florida, according to Georgia officials. Rogers (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) had 40 tackles and 12 QB sacks as a junior at Treasure Coast High last season. He is projected as a safety for the Dawgs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bulldogs season opener at Oklahoma State is scheduled for a 3:30 start. Georgia's next two games will be at night on ESPN. September 12th at home against South Carolina at 7:eek:o p.m. and September 19th at Arkansas with a kickoff at 7:45. Love those night games.

SIDENOTE: Georgia is 3-16 vs Florida the last 19 games. Maybe that explains the six signees from Florida already for 2010. By the way, know we are in the minority but like the Dawgs to beat Oklahoma State in what should be a heck of a game. Georgia will
supprise some folks this season. Bank on it!

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Forgot, there will be an opening week football contest.
One for Mods.
One for Named posters.
Format to be worked out later.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

The following posters will compete in a $200 opening week football contest.
1. diogree
2. ballwonder
3. tango papa
4. crazytrain
5. bigdaddy
6. cloverleaf
*same posters will also be eligible for any other opening week contest.

Challenge Match ($100)
Cannon vs Chuckluck (who the hell knows with these guys)

More to come.............................

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

adding:
7. Firehorn
8. Gyno (can't spell the rest)
(good guys who are loyal to EOG and have been good to us...plus good cappers)

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Challenge Match ($100)
Crazytrain (Nighttrain to us) vs Ballwonder.
Cannon was not interested and these guys have been loyal and helpful to us.

I remember a couple of years ago when we didn't like Ballwonder. Heavens, were
we wrong. One of the hardest working Mods on EOG. We would hire him in a
minute. Crazy is just one loyal SOB...love this kid. One of our favorites.

Any contest we run during college football, these two guys are in. PERIOD.
(No, thought they were good guys. No, when they were not drinking..good guys.
No, meltdown and we are sorry. Meltdown my ass....fuck you Bud. We remember.
We are old fools to some....money makers to some you dont know....Loyality is
all we care about. Thanks Crazy...thanks Ballwonder...we also like Hoffa. He still
scares the hell out of Shorty.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Noob and BigOrange....I like you guys but....................

I'm 61 years of age. I run 3 miles a day, every day. I have been up all night
and about to go out and run. People like Crazy and Ball make my life. It's called
trust. They are a small percentage of my daily life but they mean tons to me.

My background is about trust....win or die. Noob, guess I expected more out of
you my friend. No harm and no kiss ass.

New day.............let's win here at EOG....everyone is needed.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Noob and BigOrange....I like you guys but....................

I'm 61 years of age. I run 3 miles a day, every day. I have been up all night
and about to go out and run. People like Crazy and Ball make my life. It's called
trust. They are a small percentage of my daily life but they mean tons to me.

My background is about trust....win or die. Noob, guess I expected more out of
you my friend. No harm and no kiss ass.

New day.............let's win here at EOG....everyone is needed.

Bad News for N.C. State. Nate Irving, their junior starting LB was involved in a one car accident over the weekend. Aparently he fell aslppe behind the wheel, and then went bouncing off the road a couple of times, before taking out a couple of trees. He also broke his leg. It is hard to determine how long he will be out, or what further action the police will take , if any, against him. North Carolina State was quietly getting a decent amount of action to win the ACC's Atlantic division.

Georgia is becoming the "it" teamin the SEC. With Florida such a prohibitive favorite in the East, and the SEC West totally up in the air, a lot of people are starting to look to Georgia for value in some games. Remembering the results of the NC game, and the Cotton Bowl, many people are waiting to wager on Georgia against Okie State, in hopes of getting a lot of points. While nothing official is out yet, Georgia supporters are hopeing to get 3 1/2 points or more.

Thanks for the invite Clover. I most graciously accept. This should be fun.

The build up onthe West Coast for the Oregon-Boise State game is starting. Fans know that the loser is basically out of the NC race. It is payback time for Oregon, but a new HC, losses at RB on the offense and most of the defensive line, leave plenty of question marks in Eugene. Here is an interesting little tidbit for you. Oregon has covered 10 out of 11 opening away games. Their only loss came last year when they failed to cover against Purdue. Boise, is 5-1 ATS against Pac 10 teams, including a S/U and ATS win in Eugene last year.

I'm in. What's the challenge match with me and BW? We going head to head for a specified amount of plays, or are the two of us going up against someone? Anyway it is, thanks Clover. I think we have a lot of guys around here getting the itch a little early, it'll be here before you know it boys:houra

Now hearing that LSU WR Tim Molton is out for the year with a torn ACL. While not projected as a starter, LSU was very thin going in at WR,and this injury just makes things worse for a team that does not have a great air game going in.

Guys. Check out the futures. Some interesting lines. Why is Florida -16 against Georgia? Why not 17? It seems as if they are begging for action on Florida.

cloverleaf you leaving me out of the fun again, im only about foots

bqqh i think Georgia surprise a lot of people this year, so you may be onto something

I dont think they beat Florida but maybe a closer game then the lopsided game we saw last year

I would say we need to look at the Dawgs D here and what they have on the table this year..............Only way the Dawgs keep it close IMHO. The big question is, who can stop the Gators this year.

I would say we need to look at the Dawgs D here and what they have on the table this year..............Only way the Dawgs keep it close IMHO. The big question is, who can stop the Gators this year.

Nobody baby Nobody:houra

Something to ponder guys. The futures are out and posted here. Why is Florida only -16 against Georgia? That is begging people to take Florida. Lines like that make me look very hard at those types of games. The same can be said of LSU at Washington. The same -16 line. There are numerous -17 lines.

bracks7

EOG Member

My last answer to BD ?, is simple. Who they hell lays those numbers on rivalary games? I will not get into it here, I know I am "below the Mason/Dixon" line in this forum, but its just a matter of fact in sport. Because a team does 1 thing last yr, it doesn't happen the following yr, "just cause they are all back" . You need to have the drive. Maybe they will have it, but FLA in my opinion has a loss coming in the reg seaon and the SEC final

yes, I am the only one , I know.

global24

EOG Veteran

This thread is for those who LOVE college football. Please post good information about your favorite team. Good info during the season can equal money and that's what we are here for. This is not a thread for (BASHING). Losers fit that category and are boring...dine a dozen. You losers just start your own thread and leave us the hell along. WINNERS, let's have fun this season. And we will...................

I finally decided to join and am glad I did as this site is full of great information. I consider CFB my sport my tinker with others as well.

Looks like a very insightful and constructive thread. I can look forward to many intuitive discussions about the CFB coming up, although I have to admit I have to get some more reading done in my phil steele before I really know what I am talking about.

Bracks7. What does "below the Mason/Dixon line" mean? As far as you not thinking that Florida willnot make it, you certainly are not the only person who thinks that. I knowof people who think Georgia will win it all. a person who likes LSU's chances. Your message just backs my point. Linesmakers think that the Florida-Georgia game will be a lot closer than expected, so they give the public a "come-on" by making Florida a 16 point favorite instead of a 17 point favorite. They appear to want to see some early money on Florida.

Global, welcome. Cloverleaf and I go back further than this forum. We go back to another forum, where he was rudely run out, because the people in that forum have no understanding of others. They are so bad that they actually follow me around and read my posts in this, and other forums that I post in besides theirs. You will like this forum. For the most part, there are some good 'cappers in here and you can get some good information.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Clover where you at bud. Just took what you have so far and placed it on our front page for more viewing, great stuff and many thanks!

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

No guarantees in life. Lost three the past few days. My mothers favorite brother and
one hell of an athlete (89). One of my high school teammates (61). An old time mule
rider from the past (77). Good people who the lord blessed. (What families they
commanded and friends they inspired). Good and loyal persons.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

COLLEGE FOOTBALL OPENING WEEKEND

CHALLENGE MATCH $150
Nighttrain vs Ballwonder vs BigDaddy

OPENING WEEK SELECT $300
Nighttrain
Ballwonder
Bigdaddy
Tango
Diogree
Firehorn
Gyno

Ten games and ten totals for opening week. (two more will be added)

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Our gang will have some contest during the season. No 'Jonnies Lately' will be invited.

Some contest during the season with a $1000 to win Bowl Championship.

You love college football.............we love you. (maybe)

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

(FUCK THE SANDBOX) Sorry Ms. B. just didnt like the threat of that.

We appreciate you though bud! Hell of a job...........

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

OK Men....let's post.

Some of our guys have read through many posts from those we thought had any
common since about sports. Help us and others who post here. NO FUCKING
MELTDOWNS here buds.....guaranteed. Help us win money....THANKS....(and
we will).....PERIOD (and we will). Count on it....we old losers do. Year after year.

Let's do it. Our little cartel (if you will) has already gone down on 5 games. Illinois -2 1/2 vs Mizzouri. (That line is now up to 5). Florida State pk at Boston College. Bowden should retire on the spot if they can't beat B.C. this year. Oregon +3 at UCLA. You may believe what Steele thinks about those two. We do not. North Carolina +3 vs Florida State. Let's see. UNC at home. First Thrusday Night Home game ever, and getting points. Can't ask for much more. North Carolia +2 1/2 vs Miami. Why all the respect for a team that will probably have 4-6 losses? UNC is 4-1 ATS against Mimai in their last 5 games. Christmas comes early?

Happy 4th of July to all.

Clover. What do you think about 'Bama being -4 vs Va.Tech? Tough game to wager on IMO. It looks like a defesnive struggle, and who wants to lay more than 2 1/2 in close low scoring games? As far as 'Bama overall is concerned, their is only one game so far that has caught our eye, and that is their 10/3 meeting at Kentucky. 'Bama is not a good away favorite of 11 or more points (2-9) and this is a huge look ahead game, with a trip to Oxford coming up the following week. Watch the line closely on this game.