2024 Deaths (Pool)......

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Dexter Scott King, the youngest son of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., has died, according to statements from his family and the King Center.

The King Center confirmed in a statement the 62-year-old died Monday after a battle with prostate cancer.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Carl Weathers was sooooooooo smoooooooooooth. He could come up to you and your girl, take her from you, and all you could do is stand by and let it happen because you know he is sooooooo much cooler than you and she is in better hands now.
That's what fortune and fame will unfortunately do versus someone who isn't a celebrity and likely has just as equal qualities and perhaps a higher degree of caring and generosity.

Always a demerit practice in the bunch.

Heim

EOG Master
Toby Keith just performed in Vegas in December. He didn't look good but had a limited tour. I'm sure his stomach cancer was terminal, doctors gave him the ok to do what he loved. Interesting he was a Dem but went independent.

Great lyric in 'Honkytonk U'....'semi pro always means semi paid'...

Last edited:

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Died suddenly is a understatement. Did the color commentary for Detroit Mercy on Thursday, dead by Sunday.
he was on the Pistons radio broadcast on Friday as well...was supposed to by on Sunday too!

He was very visible in the Detroit sports scene. Used to see him around town from time to time at the local grocery store, UPS store, etc.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Former Reds and Yankee pitcher Don Gullett.

RIP

He was nasty! He also got very lucky. Pitched on the 1975-76 Reds WS title teams then went to The Evil Empire where he won it in 1977-78 making 4 straight but with 2 different teams. Not sure that has ever been done before

Valuist

EOG Master
He was nasty! He also got very lucky. Pitched on the 1975-76 Reds WS title teams then went to The Evil Empire where he won it in 1977-78 making 4 straight but with 2 different teams. Not sure that has ever been done before

You're right. I forgot about that. 4 straight World Series pretty impressive. I just looked him up. He only made 8 starts with the 1978 Yankees but he closed out his career with 4 World Series rings in his final 4 seasons.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
These Yankees played in and won five WS titles from 1949-1953:
  • Hank Bauer
  • Yogi Berra
  • Eddie Lopat
  • Johnny Mize
  • Vic Raschi
  • Allie Reynolds
  • Phil Rizzuto
  • Gene Woodling

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Gullet's career was cut short at age 27 due to shoulder problems. With today's medical procedures, i'm sure he would have been repaired, and could have pitched well into his 30s. His career record was 109-50, with a career 3.11 ERA. When he got to the Yanks, he signed a 6 year $2,000,000 contract. His final season, 1978, he appeared in 8 games before getting injured. I wonder if his contract was guaranteed and would have been paid out after he was injured? There's no info on what he was paid by the Reds. Oddly, Gullet served up Willie Mays' 660th and final HR, he also served up Hank Aaron's 660th career HR. Later in life, he suffered a heart attack in 1986 (age 35) and another in 1990 that resulted in him needing triple bypass surgery. He was a heavy smoker. Probably contributed to his death, even though nothing has been disclosed to my knowledge.