Navy SEAL requiremnets

railbird

EOG Master
Navy Seal Screening

Assignment to BUD/S is conditional on passing the Diver/SEAL Physical Screening Test (PST). The minimum requirements of the PST are:

* 500 yd (460 m) swim using breast or side stroke in under 12:30
* At least 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 6 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
* Run 1.5 mi (2.4 km) in boots and trousers in under 11:30

Prospective trainees are expected to exceed the minimums. "Competitive" scores are:

* 500-yard swim using breast or combat side stroke in under 10:30[9][10]
* 79 push-ups in 2 minutes[9][10]
* 79 sit-ups in 2 minutes[9][10]
* 11 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)[9][10]
* Run 1.5 miles in boots and trousers in under 10:20[9][10]

The most competitive candidates for selection to attend BUD/S as officers have a combined run and swim time under 18 minutes, as well as scores far exceeding the minimum on the other events.

railbird

EOG Master
Re: navy seal requiremnets

Any 14 yr old on any highschool swim team can do this stuff. I am in the worst shape of my life right now and Im pretty sure I can do it. I thought the requirements were tougher.

The cut to be a Huntington Beach lifeguard is tougher.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Any 14 yr old on any highschool swim team can do this stuff. I am in the worst shape of my life right now and Im pretty sure I can do it. I thought the requirements were tougher.

Get a life...:finger004:finger004

JerseyShop101

EOG Dedicated

This is just the basic physical test, to weed out the ones who don't stand a chance. There are plenty other physical and mental "tests" they must get through, of course. Some people are physically strong, but are unable to cope with the mental a psychological evaluations. Some make it past all theses evaluations and still dont make the cut.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2084090 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 04-13-09, 07:21 AM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #2 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>railbird<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2084090", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Addicted

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2084090 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> Re: navy seal requiremnets
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>Any 14 yr old on any highschool swim team can do this stuff. I am in the worst shape of my life right now and Im pretty sure I can do it.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How much, Rail? And I don't think they're giving them a week to do it which is what it would take you to finish this. It's good to see you're not just an idiot when it comes to picking winners at the Masters.

My cousin was in training for a seal till they found a heart condition that knocked him off.

It is some brutal shit, some you can't talk about

Those are just the requirement to get into BUDS....then they get into the tough shit...

Plus the swim team is in a nice warm gym pool!! These cats are thown into a cold ass outdoor pool on 50 degree mornings in some cases.

I see them out at the bars on Shore Drive in Virginia Beach during the summer....no 14 yr old boy can hang with these fuckers...their bad to the bone!! and they drink like fish as well!!:thumbsup

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Anyone notice that Rail's moved up in years? He used to talk about 12 yr old Little Leaguers and now he's up to 14 yr old swim team members. I guess his boy toy is growing up. :LMAO:doh1:shoot:

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Railbird:

somehow I picture you as Bill Murray trying to do 5 pushups for $5 in
the movie Stripes

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Demi Moore must be one bad ass chick

didnt she survive the Seals school?

I get living with ol Bruce Willis toughened her up

WVU

EOG Master

Railbird is correct. Those times are not that difficult. I would guess the average military aged guy could do it. I know I could

nhoj

EOG Enthusiast

The pass rate for seals 1986 was about 7 in every hundred that applied. Not sure what it is today. To get in BUDS is just the beginning of hell.

They're a different breed for sure....I have had the pleasure of knowing a bunch of them...I recently went fishing with an SF officer..nice guy but just a little scary..

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

when i joined the Navy in 92', after we took the standard swim test they showed us a short vid of SEAL training for anyone who did good on the standard test. I don't remember what the minimum times and standards were back then, but i seem to remember them being pretty fuckin hard. I know in just that short vid we watched in class there was tough looking things they were doing in training.
There were SEALs that also watched over the standard swim test, and some talked to guys afterwards that were interested. I overheard some of conversations, and as someone mentioned, it sounded like there was alot more to it than just being able to swim good and do some push-ups and sit-ups.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

You sir, are a damn donkey. This is just the minimum requirement to even be considered for BUDS training. There's no way on earth you'd finish the first 5 days of BUDS training.

I watched a documentary on BUDS the other day and there was a class attending that started with 89 students. Only 16 graduated the BUDS training. Now, these 89 are not out of shape slobs like yourself. These are in shape active young men and only 16 made it out of 89! You have no idea what you're talking about.

Pickandwin2

EOG Dedicated

Navy Seal Screening

Assignment to BUD/S is conditional on passing the Diver/SEAL Physical Screening Test (PST). The minimum requirements of the PST are:

* 500 yd (460 m) swim using breast or side stroke in under 12:30
* At least 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
* At least 6 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
* Run 1.5 mi (2.4 km) in boots and trousers in under 11:30

Prospective trainees are expected to exceed the minimums. "Competitive" scores are:

* 500-yard swim using breast or combat side stroke in under 10:30[9][10]
* 79 push-ups in 2 minutes[9][10]
* 79 sit-ups in 2 minutes[9][10]
* 11 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)[9][10]
* Run 1.5 miles in boots and trousers in under 10:20[9][10]

The most competitive candidates for selection to attend BUD/S as officers have a combined run and swim time under 18 minutes, as well as scores far exceeding the minimum on the other events.

I just saw this somewhere else :+clueless

Your ass would go crying to mommy after the 3rd push up you tra....never mind
Railbird is correct. Those times are not that difficult. I would guess the average military aged guy could do it. I know I could

railbird

EOG Master

Huntington Beach lifeguards have 1000 people show up for 12 jobs. I will take any Huntington Beach life guard in a run swim run against any navy seal. Thats a fact.

You my son, are clueless......you been drinking the same kool-aid WVU drinks?
Huntington Beach lifeguards have 1000 people show up for 12 jobs. I will take any Huntington Beach life guard in a run swim run against any navy seal. Thats a fact.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

You must be joking. Do you think a Huntington Beach life guard can run 20 miles or go 7 days without sleep? Do your research before you post nonsense like this.

Pickandwin2

EOG Dedicated

:LMAO:LMAO:+textinb3:+textinb3

stop kidding yourself, you sound like you live in a fantasy world

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I've been to many countries and talked to many foreign military members and the one thing they always have in common is an utmost respect for U.S. Navy Seals.

Let's face the facts though that not many of us here could become a Ranger, Pararescuman or Marine Recon. The training is way beyond what any of us can imagine.

Any seal would take Michael Phelps to the middle of the pool and have his way with him....catching him could be a problem...

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2084412 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 04-13-09, 01:11 PM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #20 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>railbird<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2084412", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Addicted

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2084412 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> Re: navy seal requiremnets
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>Huntington Beach lifeguards have 1000 people show up for 12 jobs. I will take any Huntington Beach life guard in a run swim run against any navy seal. Thats a fact.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Looks like your lifeguard handicapping is similar to your golf handicapping, Rail. Clueless in both. :LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

From the Navy SEALs' creed:

"My loyalty to country and team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans, always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own. I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men. ... In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. ... I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight."

Pickandwin2

EOG Dedicated

From the Navy SEALs' creed:

"My loyalty to country and team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans, always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own. I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men. ... In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. ... I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight."

Well, that leaves railbird out

OH my God gentlemen-go to Coranado Island where they train one time. Ask a seal about Hell Week-underwater compass tests- the training is pure hell-they run everywhere they go- watched a little while in the USMC while going thru beach assault training. It is a voluntary move on a mans part to try to make it, and I would say 1 in 100 or so get thru it. You kinda need to be an expert at at things combat related. Bless you all gentlemen.12io4j2w90

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

Rail this might be the dumbest thing I have seen written on the internet. I dont know which is worse. You might actually believe the shit that spews out of your mouth or you do this for shock factor because you are an attention whore. Either way I feel bad for you.

JerseyShop101

EOG Dedicated

These guys are the best of the best, elite ST6, 24th STS, Delta!

The training these guys go through is awesome and its much much more than just physical ability.

Pickandwin2

EOG Dedicated

OH my God gentlemen-go to Coranado Island where they train one time. Ask a seal about Hell Week-underwater compass tests- the training is pure hell-they run everywhere they go- watched a little while in the USMC while going thru beach assault training. It is a voluntary move on a mans part to try to make it, and I would say 1 in 100 or so get thru it. You kinda need to be an expert at at things combat related. Bless you all gentlemen.12io4j2w90

maybe it's the way you wrote it, but they still have Hell week at Coranado Island.
There's also a 3rd phase which is held at San Clemente Island.

My ex Bro-in-law was the baddest mother fucker I have ever met. State Cop, assigned to Governor detail for like 6 years as a body guard, black belt, Marines, you name it. Work out hound....spars 3 days a week.

He went through SEAL training twice, both times flunked out on the part where they drown you....yes drown you, then resuscitate you. Something about knowing what it feels like to drown and how far you can push yourself.

I bet this Rail cat couldn't even do 2 pull ups lol:LMAO

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Wow. Some people say the dumbest shit.

And I'll take the Navy Seal in a fight to the death.

Thanks Pick and Win - I am going back to 1970--we were taken there for training-and also to learn how to waterproof equipment-survive on lifeboats,and climb the ships nets,as well as beach assaults. The vehicles were called ducks then. We trained right next door. On Sat. nights they had what were called Smokers. They were open air boxing matches--nobody ever quit-or so it seemed. I was in San Clemente many times-via Camp Pendleton. San Clemente was the western White House. Cannot recall for which president. Anyway sir- thank you for understanding what I was referring to. Best of luck ta all here, Land of the free -because of the brave.12io4j2w90Thanks you VETS out there.

Last edited:

FuriousDrew

EOG Member

My ex Bro-in-law was the baddest mother fucker I have ever met. State Cop, assigned to Governor detail for like 6 years as a body guard, black belt, Marines, you name it. Work out hound....spars 3 days a week.

He went through SEAL training twice, both times flunked out on the part where they drown you....yes drown you, then resuscitate you. Something about knowing what it feels like to drown and how far you can push yourself.

That is pretty f'in hardcore.

JerseyShop101

EOG Dedicated

In the end, it was a single moment that brought the hostage crisis to its dramatic finish.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript _extended="true"> var CNN_ArticleChanger = new CNN_imageChanger('cnnImgChngr','/2009/WORLD/africa/04/13/somalia.rescue.breakdown/imgChng/p1-0.init.exclude.html',2,1);//CNN.imageChanger.load('cnnImgChngr','imgChng/p1-0.exclude.html');</SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude-->Three gunshots. All three fatal. Fired in the dark by three specially trained U.S. Navy SEALs as the pirates' boat rocked in the water off Somalia.
"Phenomenal shots -- 75 feet away," said Navy Vice Adm. Bill Gortney, who oversees the region.
A senior defense official told CNN that each was a shot to the head.
Gortney, in an interview Monday with CNN's "American Morning," described critical steps that led to the rescue of U.S. Capt. Richard Phillips, who was taken by pirates after they boarded his merchant ship, the Maersk Alabama, east of Somalia on Wednesday.
Four pirates had been holding Phillips in a small lifeboat, which had run out of fuel. "One of their pirates had left the lifeboat, needed medical attention and jumped onto one of our inflatable boats," Gortney said. Watch Gortney describe how SEALs shot pirates ?
The pirate's need for medical help was a credit to the Maersk's crew. When the pirates first boarded their vessel, a tussle ensued, during which one of the crewmen stabbed the pirate in the hand. Four days later, the pirate's departure from the lifeboat to accept U.S. medical help -- and try to negotiate the captive's release -- left only three for the U.S. snipers to keep their eyes on.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->The three were "tired," Gortney said. "The sea state was picking up. They agreed for us to tow them into little better waters as the ship was bouncing around. It was very tense."
The on-scene U.S. commander of the USS Bainbridge, which had come to try to negotiate the captain's release, could see the three remaining pirates "were very, very intense. One of them held his AK-47 in the back of the captain. We were always concerned about the imminent danger to the captain."
The pirates had repeatedly threatened to kill Phillips, Gortney said.

A Navy SEAL team had parachuted in and taken up positions on the Bainbridge's back deck.

The military had orders from President Obama authorizing lethal force if there was imminent danger. Watch how rescue played out hour by hour ?
"At one point, as uncomfortable as the pirates were, they exposed themselves where there was an opportunity," Gortney said.
He gave details of that "exposure" at a news conference Sunday. He said two of the pirates had their heads and shoulders exposed, while the third was visible in the boat's pilot house, through a window.
"The on-scene commander saw that one of the pirates still held that AK-47, was very, very concerned for the captain's life -- and he ordered the shots to be taken," Gortney told CNN on Monday.
Even with the small boat "moving up and down a couple of feet," the SEALs hit their targets. "Remarkable marksmanship," Gortney said.
The moment came at 7:19 p.m. (12:19 p.m. ET) Sunday -- after sundown, military officials say.
In the minutes after, a special operations team shimmied along the tow rope to the lifeboat, confirmed that three pirates had been killed, and took Phillips back to the Navy ships that had gathered nearby.
The fourth pirate was taken into custody.

These guys [the SEALs] are very well trained, they have a lot of experience and there has to be a lot of communication between the shooters and the people making the decision that they all three had shots, that they could make their shots successfully," retired U.S. Navy SEAL Dick Couch said on "American Morning."
He added, "Credit that on-scene commander with making a timely decision."

Just a little bit more than being a fast swimmer.
:cheers <!--startclickprintexclude-->