2023 MLB

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
White Sox and Angels just 2 completely dead teams now. At least the A’s, Royals and Pirates are trying.
fading the White Sox and Angels the last few days would have been a nice bankroll booster. Sox were up 6-0 with Cease last night. They lost on a walkoff balk.

Valuist

EOG Master
Kane,

Our Arraez leading the league in hits at big odds is no slam dunk anymore. Arraez' BA has fallen to the .350s, and Acuna has caught him and they are both tied with 185 hits. Freeman is 3rd with 182. It's many lengths back to the rest of the field.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Kane,

Our Arraez leading the league in hits at big odds is no slam dunk anymore. Arraez' BA has fallen to the .350s, and Acuna has caught him and they are both tied with 185 hits. Freeman is 3rd with 182. It's many lengths back to the rest of the field.
So if acuna plays great that makes Arreaz worse? it's possible to have multiple great players at one time.

Valuist

EOG Master
So if acuna plays great that makes Arreaz worse? it's possible to have multiple great players at one time.

This is not a subjective opinion. This is about a bet both Kane and I made. Either Arraez leads MLB in hits or he doesn't. We both win if he does.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I would assume a guy who plays almost every day like Arraez will have the most hits if he wins the batting title, which he will. obviously it's close/tied at this point.

kane

EOG master
I would assume a guy who plays almost every day like Arraez will have the most hits if he wins the batting title, which he will. obviously it's close/tied at this point.
Here's the problem, Arraez has played in 133/139 games and both Acuna and Freeman have played in every game this season, those guys never sit out a game, nothing wrong with Arraez missing only 6 games, but those 6 games are big seeing as how the other guys play every day. Another problem for me and Val is, even though Arraez hits leadoff, so does Acuna, and Freeman hits in the second spot, and the Braves and Dodgers have the two best offenses in the NL, the Marlins offense doesn't compare to them, so most of the time Arraez is getting 4 AB's in a game, whereas the other two are getting 5 AB's as often as not, Acuna and Freeman have played 6 more games than Arraez, but Acuna has 76 more plate appearances than him and Freeman 61, that's due to the lineups they're in, all those games where they get 5 AB's to Arraez's 4 add up over the course of the season, that's why it doesn't matter how much higher Arraez's batting average is, imagine if Arraez had the same number of plate appearances, the hit race would be long over as Arraez would have a big lead. The one thing me and Val have going for us is, hopefully as the season draws to a close, the Braves and Dodgers rest those guys a few games, but with the Marlins fighting for the playoffs I expect Arraez to be in the lineup every day from now till the season ends, if Acuna or Freeman play all 162, the likelihood is one of them will end with the most hits

kane

EOG master
Kane,

I've been following this close all year, our bet hasn't been a slam dunk for quite a while now, Arraez is in a good groove of late, he's 10 for his 20, but like I pointed out to Comrade Merlin, every game he gets 4 AB's while the other two are typically getting 5, and it's amazing to me how between them they haven't missed a game all year, how do you not give Acuna and Freeman a day off every now and then, it's not like these games are crucial to either team. Right now I'd say we're in trouble unless Arraez stays hot, we also need the other two to sit a game or two down the stretch

kane

EOG master
The award was Acuna's from the start of the season, after the AS break Mookie and Freeman went nuts and put themselves in the mix, but at this point Acuna has it wrapped up, no way he doesn't win it

mr merlin

EOG Master
The award was Acuna's from the start of the season, after the AS break Mookie and Freeman went nuts and put themselves in the mix, but at this point Acuna has it wrapped up, no way he doesn't win it
Yup, too late to lose it no matter how cold he might get the last 16-17 games(which he wont anyway).

Heim

EOG Master
For the first time Halos will listen to offers regarding Trout. I think Trout is open to being moved. I think both are frustrated
with each other.

mr merlin

EOG Master
For the first time Halos will listen to offers regarding Trout. I think Trout is open to being moved. I think both are frustrated
with each other.
it would help if he'd actually F'N play once in awhile.

Missing half or more of every season with weird/fake injuries gets old.

Heim

EOG Master
Tampa Bay bullpen hasn't given up earned run in 36 innings. Naturally they'll be some regression but enough to keep them in first imo.

Valuist

EOG Master
Took a break from college football for a bit and put on MLB Network for the Phillies/Cardinals. John Kruk is one of the announcers for Philly. The play by play guy asks Kruk if he'd ever been on the Gateway Arch. "Never, said Kruk. "I'm scared of heights." Schwarber was coming up, and the play by play guy mentioned that Schwarber, for all his HRs, had never homered off Mikolas. "If Kyle homers in this at bat, I'll go up on the Arch," said Kruk. The very next pitch, Schwarber hits a 114 mph laser into the RF seats. One could sense the sheer fear in Kruk. "We've got a day game tomorrow....I can't go". The play by play guy and crew were not going to let him out of this. The crew did their best, and to this point, are still trying to get comped tickets for Kruk to go Sunday morning. He already is saying he will skip the St Louis trip next year.

mr merlin

EOG Master
This thing with Ohatani emptying out his locker and leaving in the middle of the game is weird. i wonder if he wanted to play, said he's ready to play and the angels said no?

He wasn't on the DL, leaving after the game or simply not coming in for the next game would make sense, what happened doesn't.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
This thing with Ohatani emptying out his locker and leaving in the middle of the game is weird. i wonder if he wanted to play, said he's ready to play and the angels said no?

He wasn't on the DL, leaving after the game or simply not coming in for the next game would make sense, what happened doesn't.
Possibly. They wanted him to get looked at when he had arm fatigu, and he refused.

Valuist

EOG Master
Kane,

I see Acuna was not in the starting lineup today due to "calf tightness". Yep, I think Atlanta should give him several days off to get healthy for the playoffs. Here's an update:

1. Acuna 201 hits in 685 plate appearances
2. Arraez 199 hits in 601 plate appearances
3;, Freeman 195 hits in 668 plate appearances

mr merlin

EOG Master
Kane,

I see Acuna was not in the starting lineup today due to "calf tightness". Yep, I think Atlanta should give him several days off to get healthy for the playoffs. Here's an update:

Arreiz heating up lately, he's got a little babe ruth in him too, 2 HR games, popping them right and left.

1695007518604.png

Heim

EOG Master
The Halos are really playing dirty with Rendon, hiding a broken tibia...making his release look like a unwillingness to play with a bone bruise. Nonetheless, stuck with the majority of his contract.

kane

EOG master
Kane,

I was watching the first game of the Marlins/Braves series, Acuna hit a grounder and came out of the box a bit funny, he didn't run hard to first, I was hoping for an injury, not anything serious, just hoping he tweaked something that might force him to miss a few games, the next inning there he is in the outfield, so I assumed he was fine, but before a pitch was thrown he called for the trainer to come out, he was removed with what they called a calf strain, he missed the next two games and he's listed as ? tonight, with as good as he is, him missing some time is giving us our only chance, Arraez has been hitting well of late, we need him to stay hot, and it looks like the Marlins playoff hunt should last until game 162 so I expecxt to see him in the lineup every day, we need the Braves to keep winning so they clinch home field, right now they have like a 6 game lead over the Dodgers, hopefully they can clinch soon and Acuna gets some rest, same thing with Freeman, the sooner they can't catch Atlanta the better, maybe Freeman gets some rest. If you gave Arraez the same amount of PA's as the other two, the hit race is over and we cash easily.

kane

EOG master
In the lineup and batting leadoff, we're fucked, he's just too good, we need him to tweak his calf again

kane

EOG master
Took a break from college football for a bit and put on MLB Network for the Phillies/Cardinals. John Kruk is one of the announcers for Philly. The play by play guy asks Kruk if he'd ever been on the Gateway Arch. "Never, said Kruk. "I'm scared of heights." Schwarber was coming up, and the play by play guy mentioned that Schwarber, for all his HRs, had never homered off Mikolas. "If Kyle homers in this at bat, I'll go up on the Arch," said Kruk. The very next pitch, Schwarber hits a 114 mph laser into the RF seats. One could sense the sheer fear in Kruk. "We've got a day game tomorrow....I can't go". The play by play guy and crew were not going to let him out of this. The crew did their best, and to this point, are still trying to get comped tickets for Kruk to go Sunday morning. He already is saying he will skip the St Louis trip next year.
I got a similar story but better, I'm going back a long time so the details might be sketchy. The Pirates are playing the Phillies in Philadelphia, the Pirates have a huge lead in the game and their announcer says if the Pirates lose this game, I'll walk home from Philly, well the Phillies rally and end up winning the game, now of course the announcer isn't walking from Philly to Pittsburgh even though that's what he promised, but the following offseason he put together a walk from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and made it a big event to raise money for charity. Like I said, I'm going back many years and I might have some details wrong, but that's how I recall it

ouch

EOG Dedicated
I got a similar story but better, I'm going back a long time so the details might be sketchy. The Pirates are playing the Phillies in Philadelphia, the Pirates have a huge lead in the game and their announcer says if the Pirates lose this game, I'll walk home from Philly, well the Phillies rally and end up winning the game, now of course the announcer isn't walking from Philly to Pittsburgh even though that's what he promised, but the following offseason he put together a walk from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and made it a big event to raise money for charity. Like I said, I'm going back many years and I might have some details wrong, but that's how I recall it

Great story. You are thinking of Jim Rooker, a former Pirate pitcher who was doing color commentary for them in 1989.

From Wikipedia:

Rooker's most famous moment as a broadcaster came on June 8, 1989, during a Pirates’ road game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Veterans Stadium. The Pirates scored 10 runs in the top of the first inning, including three on a Barry Bonds home run. As the Pirates' cross-state rivals came to bat in the bottom of the first, Rooker said on the air, "If we don't win this one, I don't think I'd want to be on that plane ride home. Matter of fact, if we don't win, I'll walk back to Pittsburgh." Both Von Hayes and Steve Jeltz hit two home runs (the latter would hit only five during his Major League career) to trigger a Phillies comeback. In the eighth inning the Phillies, now trailing only 11–10, scored the tying run on a wild pitch, then took the lead on Darren Daulton's two-run single and went on to win 15–11. Rooker had to wait until after the season to make good on his "walk home" promise, conducting a 300-mile-plus (480 km) charity walk from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.[5] The entire event was documented by Jon Bois and Alex Rubenstein of Secret Base in 2022.

Valuist

EOG Master
I vaguely remember that story. Jim Rooker…used to pitch for the Pirates.

I wonder if Kruk went up on the Arch. The crew was not gonna let him get out of it.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Who in the hell wants an aging, PED infested high payroll player who is not capable of 120 games per year.
remember he was close to coming back shortly after the all star game? he stayed close for another 5-6 weeks then played once i believe, Poor baby said it still hurt, lol.