Off to a local bar next Saturday night

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Or chilis or something.

Burger a chips and unlimited diet for 11 bucks. NFL wants to stream? Better have me a helluva reason. Cheaper and cheaper that what, just to make history?

Stick your peacock where the sun don't shine.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
A lot of bars wont have it, Peacock’s commercial pricing isn’t cheap - awful for the fans. I know we won’t have it, so I’ll have to deal with pissed off customers. Hope they like Hockey Night in Canada because that is what will be on.

jimmythegreek

A lot of bars wont have it, Peacock’s commercial pricing isn’t cheap - awful for the fans. I know we won’t have it, so I’ll have to deal with pissed off customers. Hope they like Hockey Night in Canada because that is what will be on.
Already asked if they were showing it.

Valuist

EOG Master
I guess I won't be seeing the game. Oh well, I'm guessing my life will go on.

But there will be plenty of college basketball to watch.

Valuist

EOG Master
You can’t get Canadian TV?

Never tried. Maybe if SCTV came back. I can already see Shitt's Creek on US TV.

Funny you mention it. I live about 75 miles from Canada. Lots of Toronto radio but no Canadian TV. Probably too far from Toronto or Windsor for TV. Or does Windsor just pirate Detroit TV?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Never tried. Maybe if SCTV came back. I can already see Shitt's Creek on US TV.

Funny you mention it. I live about 75 miles from Canada. Lots of Toronto radio but no Canadian TV. Probably too far from Toronto or Windsor for TV. Or does Windsor just pirate Detroit TV?
Windsor has their own channels. They have CTV that will show the game.

blueline

EOG Master
the nfl wants this.....the companies buying the TV rights to the nfl want this

In moving a prime-time playoff game away from linear television, where it would surely garner big ratings, the NFL is beginning to “habituate its audience to watching big games on streaming,” said John Kosner, a former digital media executive at ESPN who now heads a media and sports consultancy. “The NFL has long been the king of broadcast television and has long prioritized reach,” said Kosner. “Now they’re trying to train their audience to understand that they can find the product on streaming.”

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Maybe 30-40 years down the road. Not everyone has Peacock. And of those who don't, many don't want to pay to have to watch. Its still just one sporting event.
A - peacock sucks (basically all of them do)
B - it limits your corporate customer.

If this is such a great idea, how come the other countries are showing it for free?

mr merlin

EOG Master
you can get peacock on a free trial right, just about every credit card I have has it offered - usually 2-3 months free, etc. They might get sign ups but i doubt they stick.

jimmythegreek

This is a one time thing. Why should I have to deal with the nickel and diming of the he said she said when you try to cancel and they try to sabotage the customer. Lord knows these companies bait and switch when it comes to cancellation policies.

Heim

EOG Master
There is a free side to Peacock, are NFL games free or do you have to pay for their premium service to get NFL?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
This is a one time thing. Why should I have to deal with the nickel and diming of the he said she said when you try to cancel and they try to sabotage the customer. Lord knows these companies bait and switch when it comes to cancellation policies.
It’s a one time thing - this season. It’s a real PITA to look for these games on obscure channels now. All the sports leagues stick it to the people paying the freight in search of expanding their brand.

Heim

EOG Master
It’s a one time thing - this season. It’s a real PITA to look for these games on obscure channels now. All the sports leagues stick it to the people paying the freight in search of expanding their brand.

How about the CFB championship on cable only for the sake of getting subscriptions.

Cable and streaming all live by the greed is good mantra.

jimmythegreek

If it's on the way each postseason in the future to continue do this, I for one will not continue to support it. I'd rather miss the game like everyone is saying. This is just one of another interesting matchup that for once isn't taking place overseas.

jimmythegreek

For those that can avoid regular local programming and the web, the game could be seen in its entirety on tape delay at Midnight est on NFLN.

Reactions: E$

cheapseats

EOG Master
Ticket prices as low as 35 bucks. Extreme cold, no one wants that. Probably should of tested the bird with a closed stadium.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Ticket prices as low as 35 bucks. Extreme cold, no one wants that. Probably should of tested the bird with a closed stadium.
Nothing wrong with a cold weather game, WTF happened to people? Was there ever the slightest thought back in the 60's-80's that "gee, it's cold in MN, GB, or cleveland, lets move the game somewhere warm"?

Even talking about it is insane.

blueline

EOG Master
its the future of watching the nfl like it or not

nba is expected to join the streaming party in 2025 and there's this :

Though ESPN and Fox have so far resisted moving their most valuable content to DTC in order to protect their traditional revenue streams, the former has indicated it will do so from 2025, while Fox will inevitably have to consider such a move given the prevailing market trends.

Heim

EOG Master
The NFL is negotiating to buy a piece of ESPN ...I can only imagine where this is going. 🤔

mr merlin

EOG Master
nba is expected to join the streaming party in 2025 and there's this :

Though ESPN and Fox have so far resisted moving their most valuable content to DTC in order to protect their traditional revenue streams, the former has indicated it will do so from 2025, while Fox will inevitably have to consider such a move given the prevailing market trends.
That's funny, we have a team that this year is one of the best in the game(timberwolves) and no bar has the game on. that's for free.

Valuist

EOG Master
Those watching the NFL game missed the end of the Houston/TCU game, won in upset fashion by TCU. Houston finding out the B12 is a big step up from the AAC.

What is the deal with "Super Wild Card Weekend" anyways? Is Goodell going after the gay audience?

jimmythegreek

Heard there were a lot of national fans complaining about the quality of service and clarity issues determined during the game, as well as a huge demand for a refund. NBC and peacock come up winners again. Tons of complaints from the public who spent the extra $6 demanding never for NBC and peacock to offer a garbage package like this again.

Heim

EOG Master
Fact....93 out of the 100 top rated shows were either college or pro football in 2023. In other words, a paywall will have little effect.

MrTop

EOG Master
the nfl wants this.....the companies buying the TV rights to the nfl want this

In moving a prime-time playoff game away from linear television, where it would surely garner big ratings, the NFL is beginning to “habituate its audience to watching big games on streaming,” said John Kosner, a former digital media executive at ESPN who now heads a media and sports consultancy. “The NFL has long been the king of broadcast television and has long prioritized reach,” said Kosner. “Now they’re trying to train their audience to understand that they can find the product on streaming.”

i looked for 10 minutes to find it then i found out

Valuist

EOG Master
I watched the game this morning on NFL Network.

It's not the $6. Its how easily one forgets to cancel it, or something in small print that you can't cancel for 6 months unless you pay a $200 cancellation fee. No thanks. One can survive one night without the NFL.

blueline

EOG Master
buckle up :

Peacock scored a touchdown Saturday for its first NFL playoff game exclusively shown on the NBCUniversal-owned streamer, registering record ratings and internet usage for the matchup in the freezing cold between the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins.

The “Peacock Exclusive Wild Card” game garnered 23 million total viewers, according to Nielsen. NBC said in a release that the game sets records for the “most-streamed live event in US history” and was also responsible for the most internet usage ever in the US on a single date, consuming 30% of internet traffic during the Saturday night game.

blueline

EOG Master
Peacock game did 23 million

these are highest rated game from last week of NFL season

• Dallas 38, Washington 10, 21.73 million viewers
  • Buffalo 21, Miami 14, 21.18 million
  • Green Bay 17, Chicago 9, 21.00 million
  • Pittsburgh 17, Baltimore 10 (Saturday), 19.78 million
  • Houston 23, Indianapolis 19, (Saturday) 19.70 million