Well, How Do We Compare With????

COVERS?????!!!!!

I told many people that EOG would model itself a lot like Covers and NOT like The Rx!!!

Have we?

What do we do better?

What are we lacking?

Do we indeed deserve to be compared to Covers' Model at this early of a time?

Mind you, I realize COVERS has been around forever and their traffic is through the roof, but was I true to my word or not about this comparison?

THE SHRINK

Well first off it might already be busiest forum on net

Need more bandwidth as slight is a little slow at times

Stats need a lot of work, IMO no one can touch statfox right now

Your main traffic will be forums as it is very difficult to dent Covers or statfox for stats unless you have a whole different look for stats that is unique and formatted beautifully.

Scores are solid

Line are nice and I do beleive you should merge with SBR with his new line service as it is real deal.

Kenny your doing a nice job and it is only day one and remember your bread and butter is going to be the forums as you are the master of that arena.

Sbr's bread abd butter are his excellent ratings and his new line service coming out.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Things look fine for now, more ideas will come to mind for you as time goes by.

Maybe you can possibly add a "Top Posters This Week" as Covers has. I believe it could help immensely, if you know where I'm coming from with that. Of course, mods would have to be excluded from that particular area, simply because nobody will be able to compete with General's 2500 posts per week! :D

jj,

I have seen a BIG CHANGE in you ever since you started posting at SBR...:)

I appreciate it and wish you well...

So, are you saying our DESIGN on our stats isn't that good?

We spent a lot of time and money to lay it out nicely on one page...

That's why I was interested in hearing feedback from some gamblers who are starting to look at other sections on this site..

Hache Man,

We originally had the TOP 10 POSTERS on our Home Page but had to shut it down right before we launched because it was slowing down our Home Page a lot...

We still might be able to add that back...

We also have a BIG SURPRISE coming soon that I believe many of you avid gamblers will LOVE...

Thanks,
THE SHRINK

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I hope all the readers will take time to visit other areas of EOG and give us feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Hache Man said:
Things look fine for now, more ideas will come to mind for you as time goes by.

Maybe you can possibly add a "Top Posters This Week" as Covers has. I believe it could help immensely, if you know where I'm coming from with that. Of course, mods would have to be excluded from that particular area, simply because nobody will be able to compete with General's 2500 posts per week! :D

Hache that is already a feature, I believe it was just turned of in the beginning until some posters built up some numbers .... you will not be seeing employees of EOG on the list however...just the people who make this place rock ... THE POSTERS.

And what SHRINK said..LOL.

Hache Man

Sounds good, hopefully it will be active in the future.

I believe it could have a huge impact on postings (if you think about the reasons why)

So, are you saying our DESIGN on our stats isn't that good?

We spent a lot of time and money to lay it out nicely on one page...
Layout and design are great. I mentioned this in another thread but you need predicted game time weather to go with current. Also need SP info and stadium direction.

Thanks Kenny, I really am a sports/gambling type poster at heart

Well I looked at Football layout and it is ok. I am spoiled though with Statfox. The football dat here is kind of generic and plain looking. Is it useful?? Yes of course it is and has very relavant info in there. I think it is not that easy on the eyes also and was never a fan of Stats Inc as their data is not driven for the sports bettor. You must first off color code areas that are important so the reader goes right to it and I think the alignment of the stats here are not too good as it should be in little boxes of some sort. Also too many abbreviations for categories which makes the reader have to think too much to see what it means. Most people here are gamblers so you need categories that are very relevant to the sports better. I would also think the game previews should be handy from the wire service you choose.

Hey its the first day so plenty of time to go.

Raiders,

Thanks for the feedback. I will talk with some KEY people and get back to you on whether we can add more Starting Pitching info and the direction of the wind (which might be more challenging)...

Furthermore, do you find the Sports news that we cover IN HOUSE, as well as the Industry News and Handicapping columns to be worthwhile or not?

We tried to stay away from the generic AP articles by hiring a lot of writers...

THE SHRINK

Hache Man

THE SHRINK said:
Raiders,

Furthermore, do you find the Sports news that we cover IN HOUSE, as well as the Industry News and Handicapping columns to be worthwhile or not?

We tried to stay away from the generic AP articles by hiring a lot of writers...

THE SHRINK

I suppose it actually matters how much you're having to dish out to these "In House" writers Shrink.............

The thing about generic AP writers /ect they have way more access to news data than regular guys but I guess its a matter of opinion.

Sportsnetwork by far has the best un biased sports previews

jj,

I guess we differ on our opinion of AP stories, which I can find anywhere and everywhere...

We do however subscribe to their PHOTO shop...

THE SHRINK

I liked the articles and found them informative. All levels of gamblers can get something out of them. It was interesting to read the affect that the temp of a ball has to the distance it will travel. I know it's tough but I hope you guys can keep pumpimg out the in house articles.

Shrink the Match up threads are great, lBefore you even you started this thread I thought you look alot like covers.

I think you will become the Google of the sports forums with everyone else trying to fight for second.

X

xpanda

Hache Man said:
Sounds good, hopefully it will be active in the future.

I believe it could have a huge impact on postings (if you think about the reasons why)

Hache: this was actually a feature until about an hour before our launch. The home page was loading realllllllllly slowly (40 seconds plus) and we finally figured out that it was the Top 10 Forum Posters segment that was causing it. We're not sure if it's an incompatibility with our SQL server or if it's because we emptied the thread/poster database yesterday afternoon and it was trying to find data. We're going to do a test on the feature next week and see how it goes.

The matchups have to get an overhaul. Badly.

Either I'm stupid, which is always a possibility....

Or you have no hitting/pitching breakdowns.

You need to have an in-depth listing of the starters' last 5 (at least) pitching performances with hits, walks, earned and unearned runs, homers, etc...

Same goes for hitting.

Just a made up example: The Braves might be listed as scoring 7.3 runs per game the last 5 games but if you are not able to tell that some runs came from errors and maybe Randy Johnson and Johan Santana left in the first inning with injuries, then you won't have a very good grasp of how the offense is really producing.

Covers does not have all the things I'd like in the matchups but as far as comparing between the two sites, at this point they are schooling you.

Another thing... the transactions are borderline useless in capping a game, plus they take up alot of space.

Anyway, just a few things you could improve on that I didn't see in the MLB matchups.

Those guys are good and give a different look but I do not think you can compare to like espn insider as they are in locker rooms, talk with owners, ect but it is unfair to compare with a huge billion dollar corp like ESPN or CBS.

Kenny the guys you have are fine, I am just getting a little technical now

You should be unique in some ways like that so it is good. Also I want to go to the baseball data page and see how the favs did last night. Were they a -$560 if you bet the Board?? What did the combined over/unders do yesterday in bases?? Were the overs 6-8 for a -$230? No site has this Data so be unique as I am certain one of your guys can put it up everyday for mlb and then folow through for all usa sports. It is a unique feature, league data is very important and is ignored as all thse sites just gear it to individual teams.

GL

Raiders is this what you are asking for .....

Raiders is this what you are asking for .....

Game Forecast

<TABLE class=Basic cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- insert left side --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=443 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=240 bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#d2d7e4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText10 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-TOP: 11px">Sun., Aug. 21, 2005

First Pitch: 1:05 PM MDT
Coors Field
Denver, CO
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><!-- insert correct bgcolor --><TD class=MLBblue11 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #bbc3d6 0px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #bbc3d6 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #bbc3d6 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbc3d6 1px solid" bgColor=#f4f4f4>Event Day Forecast</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff><!-- event day fcst --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="30%">

Partly Cloudy
</TD><TD bgColor=#bbc3d6 rowSpan=2> </TD><TD class=blkVerdanaText10 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top width="70%">Forecast : 79?F

Feels like: 79?F

Sunset: 7:49 PM

Probability of Precip:30 %
Spectator Index: 8
UV Index: Very High
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><!-- wind direction --><TD bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=MLBblue11 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #bbc3d6 0px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #bbc3d6 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #bbc3d6 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbc3d6 1px solid" width="50%" bgColor=#f4f4f4>Wind Direction</TD><TD class=MLBblue11 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #bbc3d6 0px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #bbc3d6 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 21px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #bbc3d6 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbc3d6 1px solid" width="50%" bgColor=#f4f4f4>Wind Speed</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 15px" align=middle width="50%"><!--insert wind direction swf --><OBJECT id=wind_direction_enedemo codeBase=http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0 height=88 width=88 align=middle classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

</p>&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
<embed src="http://image.weather.com/web/flash/wind_direction_sse.swf" quality="high" width="88" height="88" name="wind_direction_enedemo" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></OBJECT></TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 15px" align=middle width="50%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText10 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 15px" align=middle colSpan=2>Wind: From the NE at 6 mph</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Its at the weather channel under events-sports....It has a stadium diagram with a live weather vane but it won't post at this time do to editor problems</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Big Al,

Thanks for the kudos, but we are far away from that right now, though it is a REALLY MONUMENTAL goal...cocktail

THE SHRINK

X

xpanda

raiders72001 said:
I liked the articles and found them informative. All levels of gamblers can get something out of them. It was interesting to read the affect that the temp of a ball has to the distance it will travel. I know it's tough but I hope you guys can keep pumpimg out the in house articles.

I get to work really closely with the writers and Michael Murray (whose article you're referencing) is hands down my favourite. Really smart guy.

He'll have his own column shortly, methinks.

Glaken- That's perfect. The only thing that I would add is which way the wind blows in connection with the stadium. You can either show the way the park faces or say out to left 10mph. In the example I used yesterday if the wind is blowing out of the Souht at Wrigley it's blowing straight out to left.

Covers use to have a section that showed how the parks faced. The only thing is that it was incorrect and I haven't checked in a while. Most guys already know that if the wind is out of the SW in Chicago that it's blowing straight out. For thosethat don't there should be a section for stadiums listed or the first page showing that it's blowing in , out etc.

I do like how comprehensive that first page is.

raiders72001 said:
Glaken- That's perfect. The only thing that I would add is which way the wind blows in connection with the stadium. You can either show the way the park faces or say out to left 10mph. In the example I used yesterday if the wind is blowing out of the Souht at Wrigley it's blowing straight out to left.

Covers use to have a section that showed how the parks faced. The only thing is that it was incorrect and I haven't checked in a while. Most guys already know that if the wind is out of the SW in Chicago that it's blowing straight out. For thosethat don't there should be a section for stadiums listed or the first page showing that it's blowing in , out etc.

I do like how comprehensive that first page is.

vegasinsider.com is the best site I've found for ballpark wind. Wind is overrated though. Wrigley wind is about all that matters 99% of the time. SF wind is always blowing out to left at 15-20 MPH and it's still a pitchers' park.

Wind is overrated though.
I think that it's overrated at times but put Peyton Manning and Indy in Buf when the wind's blowing 30mph and I'm all over Buf as soon as I get that info. Plus it helps those that want to middle. As soon as word spreads about a windy day that total falls like a rock.

It looks to me as though EOG has taken the best from each site and put it together. EOG is modeled after Covers. It looks like owners here learned from the mistakes at the RX. Questionable books aren't advertising here and that will alleviate many problems. Shrink and General will not have to deal with slow pays and no pays from advertisers. The forum looks like it's going to be run like OGD where free speech is allowed except for extreme cases.

Raiders,

You pretty much summed up our vision. While we don't necessarily have to be the BEST in the industry in any specific category, we are hoping that we'll be pretty damn competitive in each one and offer gamblers much more to choose from than most other gambling information sites...

In fact, I dare you to name one other which covers (pun intended) as many different area of gambling like we do...

I tried to imagine a TOY STORE for an avid gambler when designing the site, and we wanted to have as many toys in here as possible for gamblers to play with...

If it weren't for the HARD work from our designers, IMAGINATION PLUS and EXPANDA, none of this would be possible...

And REAL soon, we will announce something else that most sites don't have, including Covers...

THE SHRINK