Vinny Testaverde To QB The Jets !!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><!--change--><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=440><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Vinny Jets in to the rescue

</TD></TD><TR><TD>Testaverde, 41, answers Edwards' call

</TD></TR><TR><TD>BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Component: NYDailyNews : component/story/picture.comp --><TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=50 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>[size=-1]Vinny Testaverde has mentored Chad Pennington, but now the 41-year-old veteran will turn to his former protege for tips on Jets' new offense. [/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10 height=10><!-- /images/shim.gif --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Component: NYDailyNews : component/story/picture.comp -->The Jets redefined the meaning of "morning rush hour" yesterday.

Around 7:40, as Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler prepared to board a flight to Birmingham, Ala., where their severely damaged right shoulders would be examined by renowned orthopedist James Andrews, the Jets called Vinny Testaverde at his Long Island home and offered him a job. They caught him just as he was about to drive his kids to school.

On the same day their top two quarterbacks went south, the Jets, trying to prevent their season from doing the same, re-signed the popular Testaverde. In a move colored with nostalgia, public relations and, yes, desperation, the Jets gave the 41-year-old quarterback a playbook and the No. 2 job.

Brooks Bollinger is the starter Sunday in Baltimore, Herm Edwards reiterated, but it wouldn't surprise anybody in the organization if Testaverde sees some playing time. Ostensibly, Testaverde signed to be a backup, but considering he has passed for 44,415 yards more than Bollinger, it might not be long before he's the starter. "I hope I can lift the spirits of the team and the city," said Testaverde, who wore a perma-grin as he met the media at Weeb Ewbank Hall.

It was a bittersweet day for the reeling franchise. It was a warm homecoming for Testaverde, who said he always figured his next trip to the Jets' complex would be to announce his retirement, but there also was the sobering reality about Pennington and Fiedler. Pennington tore his rotator cuff and will miss the remainder of the season, Edwards confirmed. The only bit of news was the location of the tear, with Edwards revealing that it's "a different tear" from the one that required surgery last February.

Fiedler's right shoulder is dislocated, according to Edwards, adding that he suspects his veteran insurance policy also will miss the rest of the season. To fill out their depth chart, the Jets signed journeyman Kliff Kingsbury, a source said. Kingsbury was cut recently from the Broncos' practice squad.

The Jets contacted the Redskins twice Monday to inquire about a trade for Patrick Ramsey, but they were rebuffed. As of yesterday, they hadn't placed any calls to the Titans about Billy Volek, Titans GM Floyd Reese said. Volek is familiar with the Jets' system, having played under coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. "It would take a lot of firepower for us to think about trading him," Reese said.

For the Jets, it's Bollinger and Testaverde or bust.

In 2003, when Pennington broke his hand in the preseason, the Jets hoped Testaverde would ride in on a white horse and save the day. He didn't. This time, the horse is more gray than white, but Edwards believes the old QB can win. "It's a good fit," Edwards said. "He's in his comfort zone here. He can get up at 3 in the morning and still throw the 'out.'"

Testaverde, who signed a one-year contract for the minimum salary ($750,000, plus a $25,000 signing bonus), said: "It's like coming home again. For the second time. For the third time."

It's twice, but who's counting?

How Testaverde, who played with the Jets from 1998 to 2003, ended up back with his old team is a story in itself. He placed the first call, contacting Edwards Monday night to tell him he'd be interested in returning. According to sources, the Jets were leaning toward journeyman Doug Johnson at that point.

Curiously, the Jets ran a change of direction. Edwards indicated that Heimerdinger and GM Terry Bradway had compiled a list of younger candidates, but the coach added, "I told them I wanted to sleep on it. I called Vinny in the morning and told him I needed him here."

Testaverde, who started 15 games last season for the Cowboys, is interception-prone and lacks mobility. He wasn't in a training camp, so he'll be rusty. He's so old that the Jets' quarterbacks coach, Jeremy Bates, was a ball boy for the Browns when Testaverde played in Cleveland.

But Testaverde still has that breathtaking arm and that aura, and and he's well-respected in the Jets' locker room. And still a confident dream chaser. "My dream is to win the Super Bowl," he said. "I came close one year, but haven't tasted that yet. I'd like to try to do that here." The Jets auditioned seven quarterbacks yesterday: Kingsbury, Johnson, Jesse Palmer, Andy Hall, Brock Berlin, Jonathan Quinn and James Kilian.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jam

EOG Veteran
I hope they sign Quinn, so Jets fans can get a taste of what Bears fans had to endure.