The Official ZzyzxRoad 2023 Baseball/Geoguessr Contest

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
when are the new photo coming, so fun

I'm very delighted you enjoyed getting to see them.
I'll never understand why you and Winkyduck don't respect me, but some things weren't meant to be understood.
I will post the final standings and format.
It looks like Howid, Cholasme, and Kane will be involved in a threeway playoff starting Tuesday depending on if they want to. Dell Dude is first alternate. John Kelly is disqualified for not bothering to finish.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
And now to reveal the correct answers

Location 1: (Shockingly) Wells, NV

Location 2: Haley, ND

Location 3: Wibaux, MT (Movie in clue: Knockaround Guys)

Location 4: nearest town: Belmont, NV. Ghosttowns.com says the ruins are Stone House, NV, but Google places Stone House as being in Humboldt County.

Location 5: Spokane, South Dakota. Keystone, SD is I believe the nearest town. Not Spokane, Washington. The landmark in the clue was Mount Rushmore.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
We have arrived at Phase 2.
Kane, Cholasme, and Howid are the finalists.
There will be two photos everyday. And each contestant will post a pick on a baseball game where the line is -120 or less. We will use an unscientific method to eliminate one contestant today, and proceed till tomorrow.
Please post picks by the first pitch of the last game today. You should make one post that clearly states 1) Your baseball pick for the day. 2) Your guess on the city/state of both pictures 3) The Charity you want your winnings to go to.

NO GOOGLING OR IMAGE SEARCHING FOR THIS ROUND.

Last edited:

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Location 1

1681229546984.png

A scene from a recent academy award winning movie was filmed here. I found it by accident last summer. It's listed on ghosttowns.com, but Wikipedia has the population at 58.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Location 2:

1681229937997.png

This wins the prize as the hardest to reach town I've been to in the lower 48. According to Wikipedia, there are no paved roads within twenty miles of it. The unpaved roads in are all "unimproved", so if you want to visit, you have to drive a four wheel drive vehicle with high clearance on a jagged unpaved road where it's impossible to go more than fifteen miles an hour for two hours. And your reward is that you get to visit a town of about thirty people. If you get the state right, I'll be amazed. Here's a fake hint: It's in the Mountain Time Zone.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
1) Black Hills, SD

2) Darwin, Cal

Not sure how to grade.
I don't see Black Hills listed as a town. You have until first pitch to change your answer, otherwise, you get defaulted to the geographic center of South Dakota.
Also, please state your charity

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Correct answers:
1) Scenic, SD
Warning: Nudity in clip

2) Jarbidge, NV
Fun fact 99.999 percent of Nevada is located in the West Coast time zone, but a very small portion of Elko County is in the Mountain time zone. Hence, it's a fake hint.

Standings
1) Cholasme 445 pts.
2) Kane 1051 points
3) Howid 1120 points

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Based on yesterday's results, I have Cholasme as the winner. I had initially wanted to run the contest at least one more day, but based on the level of participation, I'm willing to call it quits, unless Cholasme and Kane want to run it another day. Let me know.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Sure let's go again today.

Willson Contreras OVER 1.5 total bases (must start) -113

Rough start to the season but hoping this is one swing at Coors from cashing.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Today's Geoguessrs

I hadn't planned this out, so only one location today.

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_171521.jpg
    IMG_20220920_171521.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220920_171406.jpg
    IMG_20220920_171406.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 3