Tennis Gossip !!

Monday 12-5-05

Monday 12-5-05

TENNIS-X NEWS, NOTES, QUOTES AND BARBS
How good are today's top players making the career of John McEnroe look? Roger Federer's loss in the Masters Cup final brought him just short of McEnroe's top seasonal win-loss record from 1984, and Ivan Ljubicic's singles loss Sunday in the Davis Cup final left him one win short of McEnroe's 1982 best 12-0 seasonal Davis Cup record...Martina Hingis speaking with Fox Sports on her impending comeback: "The last few years I've gained some confidence in my life outside of tennis. I hope I can handle it. It's not only tennis in my life anymore. But I still love the game and I want the challenge. But there are worse things in the world than losing a tennis match."...The International Tennis Hall of Fame and the International Tennis Federation announced that Croatia's Goran Ivanisevic and the Slovak Republic's Miloslav Mecir are the 2005 recipients of the Davis Cup Award of Excellence. "The Davis Cup Award of Excellence represents outstanding achievement in international competition," said Francesco Ricci Bitti. "Goran and Miloslav have been exceptional, spirited competitors for their countries, and as they both continue to pursue excellence in tennis, we are proud to honor them as this year?s Davis Cup award recipients." The purpose of the award is to recognize the importance of Davis Cup international team competition and its mission by honoring individuals who represent these ideals...Jelena Dokic tells Fox Sports she will make Melbourne her base for 2006: "Jelena Dokic will today return to Melbourne Park for the first since a troubled exit four years ago. Now ranked 349th in the world, Dokic will practise at the Australian Open site with South Australian teenager Olivia Lukaszewicz. Dokic travelled to Australia on Saturday from Croatia for the first time since the controversial departure ordered by her father and coach Damir in January 2001. The Wimbledon semifinalist and former world No. 4 is determined to forge a fresh start in her adopted country despite resistance from a small pocket of players and spectators. "I was a little bit nervous coming here," Dokic said on her arrival at Melbourne airport on Saturday. "I'm even happier with my decision now. It will be tough, not everyone will agree with my decision. "I'm really excited about coming here."

Concorde

EOG Member
Glaken,

When i read tennis gossip i though to find "love gossip". I know these players that play doubles "off courts" ... Verdasco with Gisela Dulko, Maria Kirilenko with Nadal ( but it seems they split a month ago ) , Moya with Flavia Pennetta, do you know any other? Do you know James Blake's blonde girlfriend name?

Concorde

Concorde said:
Glaken,

When i read tennis gossip i though to find "love gossip". I know these players that play doubles "off courts" ... Verdasco with Gisela Dulko, Maria Kirilenko with Nadal ( but it seems they split a month ago ) , Moya with Flavia Pennetta, do you know any other? Do you know James Blake's blonde girlfriend name?

Concorde

Concorde,

I could not find the name of Blake's girlfriend anywhere .... sorry buddy.

Friday 12-09-05

Friday 12-09-05

DECEMBER TENNIS-X NEWS, NOTES, QUOTES AND BARBS
The women's Qatar Open in February is getting set to throw a ton of money at Martina Hingis to make an appearance: "She was the winner of the inaugural women's Qatar Open in 2001, so wouldn't we be happy to have her in Doha?" said Qatar Tennis Federation chief Sheikh Mohammed bin Faleh al-Thani...From Reuters: "The wrinkle-fighter Botox may serve up a new therapy for the chronic pain of "tennis elbow," a new study suggests. Researchers in Hong Kong found that among 60 adults with stubborn cases of tennis elbow, a single injection of botulinum toxin type A relieved some patients' pain for up to three months."...The British Lawn Tennis Association named Andy Murray Player of the Year...The International Tennis Writers Association (ITWA) named Kim Clijsters' Player of the Year and also honored her with ITWA's Ambassador for Tennis award, which salutes players who go out of their way to advance the sport at a global level. "Working with the media is the best way of reaching out to the fans so that they get to know you and understand you better," said Clijsters. "It's a really important part of the job for me because the media really helps tennis."...From the trial of the Williams family, who are being sued for allegedly not complying with a "Battle of the Sexes" tennis event, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "It was one of several light moments while [Venus Williams] was on the stand. She bantered with the attorneys during questioning and balked coyly before revealing her age of 25. At one point, when Romano asked if Venus Williams knew if anyone else was an officer or board member in her father's company, Richard Williams Tennis & Associates, she burst out laughing uncontrollably. "I think my mom used to work for him," Venus Williams said before cracking up again, saying something about divorce in between laughs. "I think she used to work for RWTA," she said after composing herself. Her father and sister smiled as Venus Williams laughed, while some audience members looked confused."...Jelena Dokic says she takes heart from Mary Pierce also bouncing back from nutty-dad syndrome: "Mary Pierce has done that so she has been a very big inspiration for the last year because she's done exactly that and maybe having a similar situation to me. I've already proved that I can play well, I've had good results so now I can just enjoy my tennis, enjoy every shot I play."...Taylor Dent closed on his new house this week in Bradenton, Florida...Vince Spadea has collaborated with Tennis Week contributing writer Dan Markowitz to write a behind-the-scenes look at life on the ATP Tour. Titled "Break Point: The Secret Diary Of A Pro Tennis Player," the book will be released in either the spring or early summer of 2006...From the Kim Clijsters website: "I've just come back from England where I was awarded two trophies by the international tennis press. And this morning I've been to the hospital to get two wisdom teeth removed. The event in London was rather posh. The International Tennis Writers Association awarded me the trophy of tennis ambassador of the year 2005 and I was elected the player of the year. So I had to deliver a speech in front of an audience of about 1000 people. Stress!"...Lindsay Davenport has split with coach Adam Peterson...From Tennis Week: "I've been quite shocked by how dismissive and critical both tournaments and players are of one another, and how collectively you are dismissive of the ATP," [Etienne] de Villiers wrote in an email to tournament directors obtained by Tennis Week. "Now, I recognize we all have to do a lot better and that is my stated aim, but 'dissing' each other, especially in the media, is no way to go. We should be open and honest about our failings and shortcomings, debate solutions fiercely, disagree passionately in private, but once we have decided to do something we should support each other and never harm our game by criticizing each other. I am going to refine and strengthen our code of conduct rules and sanction anyone who violates them."...Aussie Davis Cup captain John Alexander has stepped down as Fed Cup captain...Will the Mariano Puerta doping judgement come down this week as predicted?

Friday 12-16-05

Friday 12-16-05

DECEMBER TENNIS-X NEWS, NOTES, QUOTES AND BARBS
From the ITF: Following Donald Young's defeat at the Orange Bowl to Robin Roshardt, Marin Cilic has decided not to let his dreams of becoming ITF Junior World Champion die. Both players are now heading to the Yucatan Cup in Mexico to try to capture the points needed to secure the title. Cilic had not planned to play the Yucatan Cup, therefore after his own defeat at the Orange Bowl had given up the challenge. However, as Donald Young did not go on to take the title, which would have given him enough ranking points to secure the Year End No. 1 position, Cilic has decided to resurect the fight. As the situation is still complicated, based on how far each player progresses in the tournament, in both singles and doubles..."...Tracy Austin on the WTA injury problems: "It's not a coincidence there are this many injuries," Austin told BBC Sport. "If the WTA and (their chief executive) Larry Scott don't take this as a big warning that something needs to be done, then they have got a problem. The players are crying out for the season to be shorter. During the summer hardcourt season, Kim Clijsters played four weeks in a row and really saved some of the tournaments. But some of the tournaments still didn't do as well as they should because a lot of the top players were injured. The WTA needs to shorten the season, because the biggest factor in the injuries is over-use."...Australia's The Epoch Times' Darrell Halim on the state of Aussie tennis: "With the 2005 tennis season coming to an end, the year-end ranking for Australians competing on the professional circuit has confirmed the current lack of depth in Australian tennis. In singles, the current crop of Australians only yields three active players finishing the year in the Top 100 in the world. Australia's most recognised player, Adelaide-born Lleyton Hewitt, will finish the year at number four in the world on the men's ATP Tour, while Queensland local Samantha Stosur finishes the year at number 46 on the women's circuit, the WTA Tour."...Andy Murray says he and his brother Jamie will shoot for a Wimbledon doubles wildcard in 2006...Australian Open officials say they will consider the ATP's abbreviated doubles scoring for 2007...Andy Roddick says he will flail away in 2006 with a more aggressive attitude, speaking to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "Constant aggression. That's going to be my mantra in 2006. My biggest problem is when I get passive. When I have a mindset of constant aggression, I get better."...Monica Seles says she will officially hang it up if she can't make a comeback in 2006: "I'm still training and still trying, but at the same time I'm realistic. After 2006, if not, then it's pretty sure. You have to move on...My game is not at the level that I personally feel comfortable playing against the girls. It's my foot, it's giving me not as much time to train, to put in my many hours. The consistency is just not there."...James Blake has signed with Prince racquets...After getting worked 6-1 in an exhibition by Martina Hingis, who is herself expected to take her knocks when she returns to the WTA Tour in 2006, don't expect much from the hopeful comeback whispers about Anna Kournikova...Michael Chang will make his senior tour debut on the Jim Courier-sponsored U.S.-only Champions tour...From tennisvegas.com: "The Barry Levinson Law Classic is one of the largest and most competitive tournaments in Nevada history. The tournament boasts such famous former entrants as Andre Agassi, his sister Rita and brother Fillip, former # 1 ranked junior Joey Blake, Christain and Catrina Thompson (now NCAA ranked #1 in doubles) and many others. Never in the history of the event have three sisters swept the 12's, 14's and 16's age division. This past weekend the Eslami family from California came into town and did just that. This tennis town was created by the superstar Andre Agassi and his father who coached him to stardom."...Check out the classic photo at www.tennisreporters.net of Matt Cronin and Kim Clijsters with her Halloween costume on...Stuart Smith was confirmed as the new president of the Lawn Tennis Association at the organisation's annual meeting on Wednesday...SI.com's Jon Wertheim named Nicole Vaidisova women's Newcomer of the Year for 2005? The same Vaidisova who won two titles last year? C'mon...Will Martina Hingis wisely begin her season against lesser talent at some WTA events, or go for the cash at the Hong Kong exhibition and be hammered by the likes of Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Elena Dementieva and Nicole Vaidisova?...From smh.au: "The murky world of tennis gambling is back in the spotlight. One of Victoria's largest sports betting agencies has been granted protection against suspicious injury defaults, in new rules to come into effect the week before the Australian Open. Various agencies have long been concerned about betting plunges ? both locally and internationally -- they believe to be based on insider knowledge of player injuries. For more than 12 months they have been negotiating for incomplete matches to be declared void, and refunds paid. Tennis has thus been singled out by the new TAB Sportsbet rules, approved by the Victorian Commission for Gaming Regulations, and effective nationally from January 8. For withdrawals in other sports -- for example, one-on-one matchplay golf -- results will stand regardless of injuries. The first major local tournament to be affected will be the Sydney International, as well as minor women's events in Canberra and Hobart. Betting on matches in the first week of the season, including tournaments in Perth, Adelaide, Auckland, Chennai and Doha, will operate under the old system."...From the Herald Sun: "Tennis Australia has made a $293,361 loss for the financial year ending June 30. A downturn in income from Davis Cup and Fed Cup ties -- a drop from $7.7 million to $1.3 million -- was a contributing factor. Australia won the 2003 Davis Cup, but lost in the first round to Sweden in Adelaide last year, robbing TA of vital ticketing and promotional opportunities. Under a revamped hierarchy, led by Steve Wood and Craig Tiley, the sport is thriving, despite worrying elite performances."...From the Adelaide Adviser: "Todd Reid, the forgotten man of Australian tennis, will today take another important step in a long-awaited renaissance. The 2002 Wimbledon junior singles champion will contest the Australian Open training camp wildcard playoff at Melbourne Park. Ranked 104th in September last year, Reid has slipped to 386th after succumbing to glandular fever and ankle injuries. "Hopefully I can get back near the Top 100, that's my goal," he said. "I'm only 21 and I know I've got a few good years left."...WTA President Stacy Allaster with a backhanded compliment to news of Anna Kournikova not ruling out a comeback: "I can't say Anna did damage to our sport. She attracted predominantly a young male sports fan we hadn't been able to capture yet. Whether she's a rock star or tennis player, she's an entertainer. Maria [Sharapova] wants to be No. 1 in the world first and foremost. Being a model is secondary."

Saturday 01-07-06

Saturday 01-07-06

Serena Williams
withdrew from the Hong Kong exhibition Friday citing her ongoing knee problem: "I've developed some swelling in my knee and was advised that I shouldn't play. I don't know what to say. I feel really, really awful, it's ruined my whole day to say the least -- my whole week."...Feb. 5 is the deadline to register for WTA Tour Whirlpool Fantasy Tennis...Let's run down the list of top women's players suffering the "fluke" (as WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott has described it over the last few years) injuries plaguing the WTA Tour entering the Australian Open: Maria Sharapova (pec, shoulder), Martina Hingis (hip), Venus Williams (hip, back), Serena Williams (knee), Nadia Petrova (groin), Jelena Dokic (abductor muscle), Mary Pierce (leg), Ana Ivanovic (pec)...Aussie Rennae Stubbs speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald on her pal Jelena Dokic: "I support her coming back and trying to get her tennis career back on track, but all those people who put so much time and effort into her, she'd better not let them down again. If Jelena doesn't want anybody to think, 'You've just come back here for the money,' then she'd better show it, and she'd better not go running off when things don't go so good. She has to grow up a lot and put her best foot forward, and I don't think that's going to be easy for her...My heart just breaks for her. It shouldn't happen to somebody who's such a good person and who's worked so, so hard, and I don't know if she's ever going to come back. It's definitely wait and see, but every now and then I think, 'God, I hope she can come back.' This is as big a loss to Australian tennis as what Monica Seles was to women's tennis in the '90s."...Martina Hingis on her loss at Gold Coast: "It was just a lot of tennis this week, you know, I'm not used to that, and with the doubles as well, I probably just didn't expect myself to come that far. You can't expect always everything to be perfect with your body when you just haven't done that much in three years. I just have to go on positive with the head up, chin up, and compete as well as I can in Sydney (next week)...You just have general doubts about yourself when you see those big, strong girls. I'm probably half the size of most of them -- they are all much more muscular, but I've got the skills and the game and I showed that this week, so I'm very proud and happy about it."...The American team of Taylor Dent and Lisa Raymond won the Hopman Cup exhibition, defeating the Netherlands in the final...Tommy Haas has a new coach in Thomas Hogstedt...India's Sania Mirza says she needs time to develop: "I think everyone expects me to do all kinds of things, probably things I can't even do, but that's just the part of the package that comes with playing well. You have to take it in your stride. In some ways it does motivate me too. I like the pressure, and I think the day I stop liking the pressure will be the day I'll say I don't want to play any more. I like playing when people are expecting things."...Reuters with the latest from the hilarious world of Chinese tennis: "China's top player Peng Shuai will have to give a written guarantee of a gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics if she wants financial help from her country to turn professional, Chinese media said on Friday. The hard hitting 19-year-old amateur, who reached a career-high ranking of 31st in the world in August, said in December she wanted to leave the national set-up and strike out on her own. National Tennis Management Centre director Sun Jinfang said on Thursday that Peng had approached her about leaving the team and she had agreed on condition the teenager took full responsibility for herself, Titan Sports reported. "Later she came back and said she wanted financial support so she could go out on her own," Sun said. "I said fine, but first you have to sign a promise that you will win gold at the Olympics. "Our budget is completely aimed at the 2008 Games. Who could agree to letting you give up your Olympic duties to go professional?" Peng, who trains most of the year in Florida, has had the most success of China's emerging women tennis players."...From Matt Cronin at tennisreporters.net: "Maria Sharapova is none too thrilled about [Martina] Hingis' comments that she has "nothing special." The feeling around the Sharapova camp is that what goes around will come around, probably in the form of Maria having a "special" snack on Hingis' second serves."

Monday 01-12-06

Monday 01-12-06

The International Tennis Federation announced Wednesday that 16-year-old Bulgarian Sesil Karatantcheva has been suspended for two years for doping: "...an independent Anti-Doping Tribunal convened under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme has found that Sesil Karatantcheva has committed a Doping Offence under the Programme. The independent Anti-Doping Tribunal has ruled that Ms. Karatantcheva, a 16-year-old Bulgarian, has committed a Doping Offence under Article C.1 of the Programme (presence of a prohibited substance in a sample) in that a sample that she provided on 31 May 2005 at Roland Garros, and another conducted out of competition in Tokyo on 5 July 2005, tested positive for a steroid (nandrolone), a substance prohibited in competition under the WADA Code and the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme...The Tribunal declares that the player shall be ineligible for a period of two years commencing 1 January 2006."...Nathan Healey and Lauren Breadmore have received the final two wildcards for next week's Australian Open...From The Herald Sun on Tommy Haas beating Roger Federer at the Kooyong exhibition: "It was almost as if Haas had employed the services of a voodoo witch doctor at times as Federer, who won this invitational event at a canter 12 months ago, miss-hit several shots when belting winners would have been the easier option. While nobody will suggest this defeat is anything other than a minor speed bump as Federer prepares for the Australian Open that begins next week, his seemingly lacklustre efforts at certain points could be a concern...For Federer, it's back to the drawing board, which looks a little sketchy now after displaying nothing other than masterpieces for so long." -- Nice insight, 'Why didn't he just hit winners instead of mis-hit the ball?' That's why it's called an "exhibition," as in "the players don't really care that much." And by the way, exhibition losses don't end winning streaks Herald Sun. Federer said: "With all the injuries in men's tennis, I'm just happy to be standing. I'm happy I arrived OK and played through the match without any pain." Translation: 'Who cares.' Andy Roddick later put things into perspective: "I wouldn't read too much into it. I want to stress this is a tune-up week, a warm-up week. We're trying to get ready to go next week."...David Nalbandian withdrew from the Kooyong exo with a stomach ailment...From The Herald Sun on the super-sized Serena Williams: "Fat or fiction? That is the question hovering over defending Australian Open champion Serena Williams, who has become the butt of jibes about her weight two days into her Melbourne Park training regimen. Williams is clearly heavier than she was this time last year and would tip the scales at significantly more than her official weight of 61kg, as listed in the WTA player guide. Fitness guru Dr. John Tickell, who puts overweight stars through their paces on Channel 9's Celebrity Overhaul, simply said "wow" when he saw photos of Williams in yesterday's Herald Sun. But given the 24-year-old superstar won the 2005 Australian Open after entering the event underdone, Tickell has joined other medicos and leading tennis figures in refusing to write off Williams. "One wonders when you look at the pictures. How much of that thigh is muscle or fat? It's a bit hard to tell," he said. "If it's all muscle, then good luck. But my next question is how does a female get that much muscle and do they need that much muscle? I'm not going to recommend her for Celebrity Overhaul on one photo." Leading sports medico Dr. Peter Larkins took a close interest in the latest Williams shots, using a piece of paper across the waist to split the photo of her body in two. "If you look at the upper half, gee she looks in good shape," Larkins said. "If you put a sheet of paper over the top half and look at the bottom, you'd think that person couldn't be an athlete." But Larkins said it was a case of genetics as much as anything. "It is the African-American race. They just have this huge gluteal strength," Larkins said. "Jennifer Capriati was clearly out of shape and overweight (in Australia in 2003). With Serena, that's her physique and genetics. "She might be carrying a little bit, but I don't see it as a huge risk. Look at (sprinting superstar) Merlene Ottey and look at the size of her backside. Those sprinters always look like they've got big backsides even when they're breaking world records. It is a factor you have to take into account."...Andy Roddick on the out-of-control injuries: "I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out why people are getting hurt. It's a different game now with the physicality of it and the players becoming bigger and stronger. It's just tougher on the body. Someone is going to have to give a bit. The tournament directors, the ITF, the Davis Cup, the grand slams."...Roger Federer on the injury plague: "I think it's just unfortunate at the moment. How often does it happen that half the top guys are injured? It's never really happening, and if you look at the injuries they have, they have been coming for a long time. We all think it's the tour in the end. I don't quite agree with it because it's been like this for years and years and years...but I think if you're playing carefully, and you're fit, you shouldn't have too many injuries because you can always plan if you want to play more or less, you can always take wildcards, you can always pull out."...Sorry, but didn't we all know in December that the WTA was making Miami a must-play event and getting rid of bonus points? Why is this news? And why is BBC Sport just now reporting the ATP doubles scoring changes?...The U.S. Fed Cup team will travel to Germany to play on clay in April...The Tennis Channel has signed a two-year programming extension with the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour to maintain exclusive American telecast rights to 14 international tournaments through 2007...Roger Federer on his plans for the first round of Davis Cup in 2006: "I don't know yet -- after the Australian Open I will decide. It depends on the result at the Australian Open a little bit. I want to see how that goes, I wanted to first see how the foot goes. I'm sort of over it now but now that I'm heading into the Australian Open, I don't want to make a decision on the Davis Cup."...Kim Clijsters on American basketball boyfriend Brian Lynch: "If Brian had been someone who worked at the supermarket I still would have fallen in love with him I think. I think it's good. We do so many things together. We play every sport together. So that's fun. We do so many things together and, yeah, it's great I think."...Martina Navratilova on the short off-season and all the injuries: "It could take someone dying before things will change but I firmly believe the Australian Open should be put back a month until at least February."...Tommy Haas is into the Kooyong exo final against either Nicolas Kiefer or Andy Roddick.

Sunday 01-16-06

Sunday 01-16-06

Mark Edmondson
was the last Aussie to win the Australian Open 30 years ago...Andy Roddick beat Tommy Haas in straight sets in the Kooyong exo final...Could ESPN producer Howie Schwab's Australian Open "insights" on first-round matches be less insightful on the ESPN tennis website? Ugh. Quit it...Jim Courier is doing commentary for Channel 7 in Australia during the Aussie Open...Andre Agassi's Aussie Open withdrawal with an ankle injury means he is unable to extend his Open Era record of 59 Grand Slam events played...There are five former Australian Open boys junior singles champions playing in this year's main draw: Nicolas Kiefer (1995), Andy Roddick (2000), qualifier Janko Tipsarevic (2001), Marcos Baghdatis (2003) and Gael Monfils (2004)...From the New Zealand Herald: ""Size up Serena Williams at your own risk" smacked one headline in Australia last week and the general aspersions on Williams' weight prompted Venus to leap to the defence of her younger sister and say her determination would see her do well in Melbourne even if she wasn't 100 per cent fit. Serena also told a press conference that she was "absolutely" fit. The younger Williams sister, more so than the less demonstrative Venus, has had a curious relationship with fans, media and fellow competitors, largely because she is such a curious individual. Undoubtedly one of the most talented tennis players on the modern circuit who has ushered in a new era of power play, she has seemingly become more distracted by fashion, interior design and celebrity than adding to her haul of 26 career singles titles, including seven grand slam titles. While Venus' commitment to the game is not in question, a women's circuit without Serena would be less colorful in many respects."...Andy Murray writing for The Sun: "My only possessions in the world are an ipod, a laptop, my PSP, a pair of boxing gloves and a few clothes -- and of course my tennis rackets. I would not mind a car but have not even had time to take any driving lessons. A lot of people might think tennis players lead a glamorous life and maybe that's true if you've reached the Top 20. For the rest of us, it's a real hard slog. An incredible amount of travelling is involved but even now -- despite having a little bit of money -- I still prefer to sit in economy on a plane. Until coming to Adelaide two weeks ago, I had never travelled business class in my life, apart from when the LTA booked travel for Davis Cup matches. In Thailand, after I reached the final against Roger Federer, I got an upgrade from economy to World Traveller, which is basically premium economy. That was only because the bloke in check-in recognized me! I think I'm pretty much a normal teenager but I don't do trendy bars or nightclubs. You're more likely to find me in Pizza Express and Starbucks." And Murray lapsing into his big-event don't-expect-me-to-win speech: "I think everybody just has to keep everything in perspective. I had a great year last year but I'm still only 18 and I'm playing against guys who are still higher ranked than me and have much more experience. It's not the end of the world if I lose to them, it's just a better experience for me." You and Sania Mirza should start a club...ESPN2 will now apparently broadcast the Aussie Open live beginning at 7pm (EST) Sunday.

While it was reported Friday that Andy Roddick would enter the weekend qualifying at the ATP stop in Delray Beach, the American changed his mind Friday night: "Andy had informed us that he was considering playing in our qualifying tournament, as direct entries were closed and our wildcards had been distributed weeks in advance," said Tournament Director Mark Baron. "However, he did not commit and after careful consideration following training today, Andy told us that he would not participate in the qualifying tournament. He instead will remain in South Florida and resume training for the upcoming Davis Cup tie. We were obviously looking forward to Andy's participation, we wish him good luck next week and we hope he will play next year."...WTA Tour sponsor Sony has announced it will lay off 10,000 workers...James Blake has pulled from Delray Beach...Why did Brad Gilbert do the check-mark-strengths in ESPN U.S.'s opener before the Aussie Open women's final? Mauresmo a better volleyer than Henin-Hardenne? Leave the women's analysis to Mary Carillo...Great that ESPN showed the doubles final, not great that Dick Enberg and Luke Jensen talked non-stop throughout it...Pete Bodo writing for Tennisworld: "Justine Henin-Hardenne committed the most significant and flagrant act of poor sportsmanship I've witnessed in nearly 30 years of covering pro tennis today. I urge you to read the interview transcripts when they're posted on the Australian Open website...All I can make of any of it, here in Melbourne, is that Justine had a bellyache, and she was being badly outplayed by an Amelie Mauresmo who was in full control of her game and emotions. So Justine decided to quit, because...well, because it's all about Justine, all the time. It was a disgrace. Justine's interview transcript is very telling, because there's not even a smidgen of volunteered sympathy for Mauresmo, not an ounce of compassion for the way she was robbed of the finest moment of her career -- watching her match point called as she earned the first Grand Slam title. In a post a long time ago, I called H-H a "demented dwarf;" in fact, this week, a comment poster somewhere along the way chided me for having done that. I had second thoughts for a moment. Adios, second thoughts."...ESPN USA's early-morning Australian Open coverage (after midnight) is up 50 percent over last year...Justin Gimelstob blogging for SI.com: "Mauresmo's opponent in the women's final, Justine Henin-Hardenne, is far stronger. With four Grand Slams and an Olympic gold medal under her belt, she's not the type of player to flinch when victory is in her grasp."...Greg and Lucy Rusedski have had a daughter...Marcos Baghdatis' parents have refused to fly to Melbourne for the Australian Open final, not wanting to jinx their son.

Tuesday 1-31-06

Tuesday 1-31-06

Roger Federer
on his tearful breakdown accepting the Aussie Open trophy: "I think after seeing, you know, he was struggling all of a sudden with the cramp on his calf muscle, I knew I was in very good shape, but I had to stay focused. So many things go through your head about the win already because you think, "Well, now nothing can go wrong." But as we saw, it was still quite a long way to the finish line. I was getting I think emotionally ready for that sort of, which normally you shouldn't, but I can't block it out. I'm also just human. And I guess, you know, when I won, I was so relieved that I got it through. Wasn't emotional in the first minute, except the relief. It only came out later when I was standing there with Marcos waiting for the ceremony. I was very relaxed. Once I got up on stage, it all changed." Coming off his Aussie Open win, Federer is on the verge of potentially letting down his legion of fans, announcing in the next couple days whether he will pass on representing Switzerland in the Davis Cup first round against Australia. With Lleyton Hewitt already announcing he is too injured to play, a Federer-led team would be a virtual lock to advance into the second round...Boo-birds to ESPN USA Sunday in their re-broadcast of the Aussie Open men's final that was originally shown at 3:30 a.m. (EST), fast-forwarding through the third set then failing to show Roger Federer's tearful acceptance speech...Martina Hingis on Amelie Mauresmo's Aussie Open win: "Well, I think Amelie deserved it, even though she made the opponent always -- she had the ability to finish off the matches. She didn't show any nerves. She end up winning. Doesn't matter how, she's going to be the champion hanging on the poster next year."...Jelena Dokic is basing herself in Monte Carlo...Amelie Mauresmo revealed she suffered through a neck injury during the second week of the Australian Open: "I couldn't move my neck for three days. But it didn't show, so that's good. I guess my physio did a great job during this week because I was pretty bad at some point and he did some good work. I started feeling that a little bit against [Nicole] Vaidisova. It was strange because that day I couldn't move," she said. "I woke up and I couldn't move my neck. So I had to use different things to work things around. So I thought 'Yeah, mentally you're capable of doing that, you're capable of using other strengths that you are used to.' I think it helped me to get past the other rounds. I didn't panic at any time. I was really struggling in my first two matches here and then things got better and better. I really felt my rhythm was coming pretty strong in the fourth round and then the quarterfinals."...Jon Wertheim scribing for SI.com: "I think it's always dangerous to question decisions athletes make about their bodies. Too many tennis players have harmed themselves playing through pain. (see: Clijsters, Kim.) And while other players have "booted and rallied" or gritted out heroic comebacks -- Mauresmo said she was prepared "to die" on the court -- we have no way of knowing just how lousily JH-H felt. I suppose it would have been nice had she gone through the motions for 14 more points so Mauresmo could have won conventionally. But would we then be chastising her for tanking?"...The retired Brenda Schultz-McCarthy won a qualifying match at Tokyo before getting knocked out...From The Australian: "Punters who staked their hard-earned money on Amelie Mauresmo to win the women's singles final on Saturday got a rude shock when it came time to collect from TAB Sportsbet. Even though Mauresmo's name is on the Australian Open trophy, all that unsuspecting punters got for their outlay was their original stake. "The rule states if a match is not completed all bets on the result are null and void and their original stake money is automatically refunded," TAB Sportsbet spokesman Glenn Munsie said yesterday."...Nice of Andre Agassi to swing wildcards for the formerly-retired Sargis "Sarge" Sargsian at Delray Beach and San Jose...Socket on the X-Discussion board: "Hewitt knows that TA won't change the Rebound Ace surface for him. But he's also miffed about the fact that they won't sell the Fanatics blocks of tickets for RLA, which means that either Lleyton has scrounge around for, and pay for, the tickets (which he did last year) or the Fanatics don't get to sit together on RLA. This year, TA wouldn't accommodate the Fanatics, but they did accommodate Baghdatis' fans, which is what supposedly really ticked Hewitt off. I think that if TA promises to accommodate the Fanatics in future years, Lleyton will be back playing DC. However, that's likely to be a relegation round."...Whit Sheppard writing for ESPN: "While Federer is clearly a sentimental man, there's no trace of it in his game. He has an uncanny ability to block out distractions and mercilessly hone in on the weaknesses of his opponent. Next up: Roland Garros in late May, where he'll attempt to conjure up the tennis equivalent of the Tiger Slam, winning four consecutive majors spanning two calendar years. It would take a brave soul, at low-yielding odds, to bet against him." Wrong. Take it easy Whit. We'll take a healthy Nadal over Fed at Roland Garros in a New York minute. But not according to Bud Collins: "Any Australian Open winner could potentially win the Grand Slam in a calendar year. But I agree that Roger Federer will take his triumph here in four sets over the upstart Marcos Baghdatis and become the first man since the legendary Aussie Rod Laver in 1969 to accomplish the feat."

Wednesday 2-1-06

Wednesday 2-1-06

From Reuters: "Slovak tennis player Karol Beck has tested positive for a banned substance, Slovak Tennis Federation General Secretary Igor Moska said on Tuesday. Moska said the positive test came last year, but he did not say which substance was involved nor give any other details. "I have known about this for quite some time. I believe the substance was taken unknowingly," he told Reuters. "We have not yet received an official notification, but we are expecting to receive it later today or tomorrow." The International Tennis Federation, the sport's governing body, declined to comment on the report when contacted by Reuters on Tuesday...Roger Federer has won seven of his last 11 Slams contested...Bob Bryan on the new ATP doubles scoring: "I think we're all going to try to get behind this scoring system for a year and see if it can make doubles better. Who knows, it might happen in the Slams in a couple years."...Czech brothers Ivo and Jan Minar make their ATP doubles debut this week in Zagreb, an event which returns to the ATP tour after an eight-year absence...Both of Tommy Haas' losses this year have come to Roger Federer, a feat which won't be repeated this week in Delray Beach...17-year-old Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro, making his ATP debut this week in Vina del Mar, finished as the youngest player in the year-end Top 200 last year, raising his ranking by over 900 positions...Former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt has dropped out of the Top 10 to No. 11, while Aussie Open semifinalist Nicolas "The Tosser" Kiefer rises to No. 12, and Marcos Baghdatis to No. 27...Swede Robin Soderling won the Heilbronn Challenger last week...Unseeded Canadian Frank "You Can" Dancevic won the Waikoloa Challenger, where Jan-Michael Gambill lost in the first round and Vince Spadea pulled with a bad back...Former Ecuadorian riser Giovanni Lapentti lost first round at the Santiago Challenger...Kim Clijsters returned to the No. 1 ranking this week for the first time since 2003, with former No. 1 Lindsay Davenport tumbling to No. 3 behind Aussie Open winner Amelie Mauresmo, with the out-of-retirement Martina Hingis climbing to No. 117...From the AP: "The mother of tennis player Marcos Baghdatis had minor surgery Monday after falling ill while watching her son play in the Australian Open final, her brother said. "She's out of surgery and she's fine," Pambos Charalambous told The Associated Press. Androulla Baghdatis fell ill on Sunday during her son's loss to top-ranked Roger Federer. "She will be fine by Friday when Marcos arrives (home)," Charalambous said. Charalambous said his sister had gall stones and her condition worsened in the days before the final. Local authorities in Limassol, his hometown, have already announced they will name a street after Baghdatis."...Whose tears were more heartfelt over the weekend, Roger Federer's for winning the Australian, or Andy Roddick's when Delray Beach organizers wouldn't take a wildcard away from another play to give to him?...Alix Ramsay writing for the Scotsman: "Henin-Hardenne had been taking anti-inflammatory tablets to help her sore serving shoulder and, in the past few days, the doctors advised her to increase the dose. That helped her shoulder but hurt her stomach and she spent most of Friday night doubled up in pain. Deciding to try and play in the final, she immediately knew that she did not stand a chance and after a 33-stroke rally in the second set, she called for the doctor. The game was up."...From Tennis Week: "Holger Fischer got caught with cannabis in his cookies and is feeling a fine now. The 873rd-ranked German tested positive for cannabis during a Swiss Tennis Satellite Circuit event in Montreux on September 22nd after eating cannabis-laced cookies at a local club and voluntarily withdrew from competition for three months as part of his penalty, the International Tennis Federation announced today."...Jelena Dokic has rocketed up eight spots to No. 362 in the latest WTA Rankings...Lindsay Davenport, who this week gave up the No. 1 ranking, has not won a slam in six years...ATP Delray Beach Tournament Director Mark Baron on Andy Roddick saying he would play the qualifying then bailing: "For what reasons he made his decision not to play, I don't know. But I understood it."...Both Venus and Serena Williams will play the claycourt Family Circle Cup in Charleston in April...Tennis Australia says Jelena Dokic will be named to their Fed Cup team this week...During the second week of the Australian Open the Seven Network in Australia had triple the eyeballs of its nearest network competitor...ESPN commentator Pam Shriver on the H-H fall-out: "In regular tournaments, players throw in the towel occasionally for one reason or another. Clearly Henin-Hardenne was sub-par, but that doesn't matter. There are certain caliber events -- Olympics, major finals, Daytona 500, the Masters, Super Bowl --- where you just suck it up. Can you imagine how many of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks are going to have massive physical problems in the Super Bowl? And they are going to suck it up. I got to one Grand Slam final, and that's what you shoot for as a player. Henin-Hardenne just wasted one because her stomach was hurting a lot?...I think Henin-Hardenne's reputation is tarnished forever. The tennis beat writers will never let her forget this. And it's not a first. Remember there was the 2003 French Open serving incident against Serena Williams, when she held her hand up on a Williams serve to signal she wasn't ready, then pretended like she did nothing."...James Blake is getting the nod over Robby Ginepri for the No. 2 singles spot on the U.S. Davis Cup team versus Romania...Pete Sampras speaking to the Times Online on Roger Federer: "I don't like to be reminded of the time we played at Wimbledon -- he beat me fair and square and though it hurt, I knew he was a real talent. From what I see, he is able to play at a higher level with less effort than the rest -- a bit like me. You see Andy Roddick and it is work. Roddick's out there grinding, but it doesn't take a lot of effort for Federer to play great. He is the complete package, head and shoulders over the rest. I put up the records and I know that is the most that I could give. If someone breaks those, my hat is off to them because I know what it takes. It seems that Federer has the temperament to stay at the top for as long as he wants."...French Davis Cup captain Guy Forget has left Fabrice "The Magician" Santoro off the French Davis Cup team for their upcoming tie.

Thursday 2-2-06

Thursday 2-2-06

U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe on choosing James Blake over Robby Ginepri: "It's like going with the hotter hand. James is playing a lot smarter now. He was a go-for-broke player, but now he is playing with a little more intuition and smarts. He is playing percentages better. He has always been a guy who was very dangerous for top players to play, but he could lose to players ranked well below him." A ringing endorsement...Marat Safin and Rafael Nadal are reportedly planning their comebacks from injuries at Marseille on Feb. 13...Guy Forget on passing over Fabrice Santoro for France's upcoming Davis Cup match: "Fabrice was my first choice after his performance at the Australian Open and the role I wanted to give the doubles team for this encounter with Germany. He declared he wanted to be back with us and that the Davis Cup was important to him but he's decided to play an exhibition event in Tarbes against (Rafael) Nadal. He ruled himself out. When I tell a player that I want him on the Saturday and he replies he will only arrive on the Sunday, we cannot understand each other." Take it easy Guy, he's doing the exo for the kids -- won't somebody think of the children!...From Sportinglife: "Slovakia's Davis Cup team will be without captain Miloslav Mecir for their opening World Group game against Chile later this month. Mecir has been advised against making the long flight to South America and Tibor Toth will take over for the match, which is to be played between February 10-12 in Rancagua. "I have had a big problem with my back since Christmas. Doctors gave me some infusions but it did not help me a lot. I started with special exercises but doctors do not recommend a long flight," said Mecir."...From the AP: "Injured Kim Clijsters will offer every fan at her Diamond Games home tournament this month a bottle of champagne to celebrate her No. 1 ranking. "Kim has taken the initiative to thank her fans," tournament organizer Bob Verbeeck said. The Sports Palace in Antwerp can hold up to 10,000 fans and, considering one bottle sells for about $30, Clijsters should consider herself lucky she is one of the biggest earners on the WTA tour." We're thinking Kim can probably swing the bulk discount there...No. 76-ranked Karol Beck has met with ITF officials and is awaiting his punishment after testing positive for doping: "Karol Beck informed us he attended a hearing at the International Tennis Federation 10 days ago, and we are expecting a verdict within the next couple of days," said Igor Moska, general secretary of the Slovak Tennis Association, as reported by the AP. Moska declined to identify the banned substance. "The fact Beck was called to the hearing indicates a positive test, that's all we can confirm."

Friday 2-3-06

Friday 2-3-06

Tennis Week attributing this year's overall Aussie Open ratings staying the same as last year (not counting ESPN's added early-morning coverage this year) in the U.S. to poor performances by the Americans: "One reason for the lack of ratings rise was the fact that Andy Roddick was the only American man to reach the fourth round this year, whereas four-time champion Andre Agassi was a quarterfinalist and Roddick reached the final four a year ago. Additionally, the Australian Open women's draw was devoid of an American in the final four this year compared to last year when Serena Williams defeated Lindsay Davenport in an all-American women's final that proved to be the network's highest-rated women's match in history. In contrast, Venus Williams was upset in the opening round and Serena succumbed to Daniela Hantuchova in the third round marking the earliest Grand Slam exit for the sisters at a major in their careers...the ratings for the final fell significantly...further supporting ESPN2's assertion that American viewers will tune into tennis in great numbers when American players, particularly the Williams sisters, Agassi and Roddick, are playing." -- Why write a story skewing U.S. viewership after removing the early-morning coverage, which approximately doubled that of last year? Why not just average the hours/coverage? But then you wouldn't be able to write a negative Americans-only-watch-Americans-and-ESPN-is-right story? The doubled early-morning ratings rarely showed Americans anyway since they all lost early. The article added: "On the plus side, ESPN2's 3:30 a.m. telecasts nearly doubled the network's audience for that time period, reaching 182,000 homes compared to the 96,000 homes it typically reaches. Roger Federer's four-set triumph over Baghdatis in the men's final generated a 0.4 rating, up from 0.3 for the Marat Safin-Lleyton Hewitt 2005 final with the total number of households tuning in up 20 percent to 319,000 from 265,000 for the 2005 final." ...Tennis magazine's Peter Bodo, not a big Kim Clijsters fan: "One last thing about Clijsters. Remember, this girl has been a major-league choker. I think that if she enters a tournament without an injury, she's going to come up with one very quickly. She needs the crutch of injury to take pressure off herself. And it gives her a built-in excuse in the event she does lose. Clijsters baffles me. Sure, she's a "nice" girl. But she's running scared, she doesn't really give much away. If Kim is thoughtful, she doesn't really show it. Has this woman ever made an interesting observation (something about the weather doesn't count!)? I think this niceness, while real, is also a tool Kim uses expertly to fly under the radar." -- Yikes, did Kim spit in Pete's coffee, after the Belgian suffering an ankle-turn (apparently not self-induced...) on the Rebound Ace in Melbourne and recently returning to the No. 1 ranking? Being "nice" is a "tool"? The WTA will never have to do anything to protect top players against the out-of-control injuries when journalists start blaming players for their twisted ankles and pulled muscles...World No. 1 Roger Federer is once again a leading contender to pick up a nomination for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award. The Swiss star won the honor in 2005, edging out previous winners Lance Armstrong and Michael Schumacher...The Tennis Channel will show six hours live of the ATP Delray Beach event on Saturday in the U.S., and both the singles and doubles final live on Sunday...From The Guardian: "Henin, four times a slam champion, has pushed herself so hard that injuries and viral problems have become commonplace for her. She is not alone. Kim Clijsters was hurt before the tournament began, Lindsay Davenport injured an ankle in the first week, Maria Sharapova had either a shoulder or rib problem depending on which source you believe, and the Williams sisters, who between them have won 12 of the slams in the past seven years, arrived woefully underprepared and proved they can no longer get away with it. The level of hitting in women's tennis has become so fierce that their bodies are simply breaking down under the strain. The fact that Clijsters has risen to No. 1 in the world, but will be missing from the circuit for several weeks because of injury, underlines the problems inherent in the sport. It will not matter to Mauresmo that she won this title by default, nor should it, but in the broader picture the women's game is either ignoring or failing to address a continuing stream of disruptive injuries."...Spanish Davis Cup captain Emilio Sanchez on taking his "C"-team, sans Rafael Nadal, Juan Carlos Ferrero or Carlos Moya, into Belarus for their upcoming tie: "The surface they have chosen (Taraflex) doesn't allow you to play tennis. If it's new it's fine but if it's old...it is like ice. But it is natural for opponents to choose a surface that will make it as hard as possible for you. It will be the players' desire to win that is fundamental to us making it through the tie." Sanchez will face Max "The Beast" Mirnyi and Vladimir "The Vladiator" Voltchkov with some combination of David Ferrer, Tommy Robredo, Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco....Vince Spadea in Delray Beach: "I would say I've had a career that started out with high hopes, struggled a little bit, but a taste of what it was like at the top. I went to the Top 20, beat some top players and had a chance to go to the Olympics. But I didn't win the Grand Slams or a bunch of titles as I expected or would've liked. Maybe my career as compared to other Americans was in the shadows, but it was much better than 90 million other people who were playing and quit. I think I can be Top 20 again. I've been there before. It will be another challenge."...From the BBC: "Scotsman David Kinnaird is swapping his tennis racket for a railgun. A keen gamer, Mr Kinnaird has packed in life as a pro-tennis player to try and make it in the world of professional computer gaming. He has become one of the latest recruits to the Quake IV squad of the UK's leading pro-game team Four-Kings. Explaining the decision, Mr Kinnaird said the rewards for pro-gamers were far better than those available to pro-tennis players." Nice. Kinnaird went on to say he saw it as more lucrative than tennis with more sponsors...The Tennis Channel CEO Steve Bellamy touting tennis and Roger Federer on ESPN News: "Professional Tennis is played better than any other professional sport right now -- nothing comes close it's level. To win in tennis you have to beat the best players and athletes from nearly every country in the world. To win in most sports you get to depend on a team, only have a short season, have a coach during the contest, have to beat a competitive field from mostly one country and a field that filters out most of the people under a certain size. Professional tennis is mano y mano, the performance bar never resets itself as it is a year-round sport and you are pushed by the best players from every country in the world. Our players are the most skilled and talented athletes in the world and the professional tennis product on-court is without a doubt the best sports product there is, even though on the whole we have done a crappy job of exploiting and monetizing it as well as football, basketball, baseball or golf. I would say that our premiere athletes are the best there are in sports and top guys are up there with the best athletes in the history of sports. Although he hasn't played long enough earn it on a relative basis, on an absolute basis Roger Federer is one of the Top 5 athletes in the history of sports."

Sunday 2-5-2005

Sunday 2-5-2005

The Tennis Channel says it will now show the WTA Tokyo Martina Hingis-Elena Dementieva final on tape Sunday, previously not on their schedule -- check the TTC website for more info. TTC will also show the ATP Delray Beach and Vina del Mar finals...Vince Spadea's sport psychologist, Dr. John F. Murray, on his student in Delray Beach: "Vince is striking the ball down here cleaner and earlier than I have ever seen before. It is amazing. This is the result of many months of increased work ethic and seriousness, and in part due to the determination that comes from wanting to make good on a contract he signed with me last year to guarantee to reach Top 10 with sport psychology. This exemplifies the power of goal setting and commitment -- basic tools in psychology 101. I am confident that Vince will indeed make Top 10 if he stays injury free and doesn't waver in his focus. He might even make Top 5 playing this well."...X-Discussion Board member Funches: "Last year during the Australian Open, SI.com took tennis off its main page and relegated it to the category of other sports like boxing and rugby. In the last few weeks, ESPN.com and CBS.sportsline.com have done the same thing. I think CBSsportsline may have done it today because the last time I checked, tennis still had a heading on the main page, but no more. The good news is that with Americans like Roddick, Blake, Ginepri and Agassi playing so well right now, it's only a matter of time before tennis is back in the mainstream. I'm thinking there's an outside chance one of them might make it to the second round at Roland Garros."...From The Australian: "The row between Lleyton Hewitt and tennis officialdom has escalated, with the management of the former world No. 1 instructing Tennis Australia to limit the use of his image in promoting the game. Hewitt, who will miss next weekend's Davis Cup tie against Switzerland, has made the stance following a summer of feuding with Australian Open tournament chief executive Paul McNamee over the courts at Melbourne Park. Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood confirmed that there had been a directive from Hewitt's camp restricting the use of the dual grand slam singles winner's brand late last month."

Hingis Housed at WTA Tokyo; Haas Hot-Handed at Delray

<SMALL>Posted on February 05, 2006</SMALL>

Dementieva Thrashes Hingis for WTA Tokyo Title

Martina Hingis' magical run came to an end Sunday in the WTA Tokyo final where the former No. 1 was thrashed 6-2, 6-0 by Russian Elena Dementieva.

Dementieva had also beaten the Swiss in Filderstadt in their last meeting in 2002.

"Martina's my favourite player so I never expected to beat her like this," said Dementieva after overpowering the Swiss from the back court. "I have never had a 6-0 second set, only against me, but I think the match was closer than the score."

For Dementieva it is her first title since 2004, and will lift her from 9 to No. 8 on the WTA Rankings.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=305 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=3 height=1> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc height=21> </TD><TD align=left width=100 bgColor=#ffffff height=20><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- google_ad_client = 'pub-0831061926577484'; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = '300x250_as'; google_ad_type = 'text'; google_ad_channel ='6477197014'; google_color_border = 'FFFFFF'; google_color_bg = 'FFFFFF'; google_color_link = '003366'; google_color_url = '999999'; google_color_text = '000000'; //--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc height=21> </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=3 height=1> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
In the doubles final No. 2 seeds Lisa Raymond and Sam Stosur ousted top seeds Cara Black and Rennae Stubbs 6-2, 6-1.

Haas, X-Man Battle for ATP Delray Beach Crown

With both his losses to No. 1-ranked Roger Federer in 2006, former world No. 2 Tommy Haas seems to have few players who can stop him, as was the case Saturday at the ATP event in Delray Beach where the No. 4-seeded German rolled over No. 8 Vince Spadea 6-3, 6-2 to gain the final.

"The conditions were tough but there were some really good rallies," Haas said of the wet weather. "I served well when I needed to. It was an important match to get back into a final."

In the final Haas will face No. 3 seed Xavier "X-Man" Malisse, who stopped Andre Agassi's conqueror Guillermo "G-Lo" Garcia-Lopez 7-6(4), 6-1.

"It's relaxing to come here and play because it's nearby," Malisse said of his easy South Florida commute, weathering a long rain delay. "I like the courts. It was tough conditions tonight but it was the same for the both of us."

Haas has won eight of his 11 match-ups with Malisse, but lost their most recent last year at Los Angeles. The contest will be a battle of two practice partners who hit together frequently at their training facility, the Bollettieri Academy in Bradenton.

Sunday will see the resumption of the rained-out doubles semifinals with South Africans Chris Haggard/Wesley Moodie vs. Garcia-Lopez/Spadea, with the winner to face top seeds Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor.

Ljubicic Meets Qualifier in ATP Zagreb Final

Top-seeded Croatian homecountry favorite Ivan Ljubicic and unseeded Austrian Stefan Koubek advanced to what will be a preview of next weekend's Davis Cup encounter between the two countries, on Saturday moving into the final of the ATP stop in Delray Beach.

Both players overcame hurdles in the semifinals, with Ljubicic coming from a set down to edge rising Serb Novak Djokovic 6-7(6), 6-3, 6-4, while Koubek outlasted fellow un-seed Tim Henman 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.

"It's a special win for me," said Koubek, who had to qualify into the main draw. "Out of nowhere, I'm in the final."

Like Koubek, Henman was appearing in his first semifinal in roughly a year.

"It's obviously really frustrating," said Henman, who had a flare-up of his back injury. "My back was sort of getting worse and worse as the match went on. But, you know, Koubek was making life difficult for me, so I feel like I've had a positive week and get my back right and hopefully build on this."

Ljubicic trails Koubek 2-3 in their career meetings.

"I knew this was going to be a difficult match," Ljubicic said. "I wasn't surprised by anything. But I was completely confident about my game. About playing Koubek in the finals -- I hope I will pay him back for some of his past victories."

The doubles final will be the unseeded Italian pair of Davide Sanguinetti and Michal Mertinak vs. the Italian/Slovak No. 2-seeded combo of Andreas Seppi and Jaroslav Levinsky.

Massu Beats Gonzo to Reach ATP Vina del Mar Final

In a match-up of Davis Cup partners, No. 5 seed Nicolas Massu upset No. 2 Fernando Gonzalez 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-4 Saturday to advance to the final of the ATP Chilean stop in Vina del Mar.

In the final Massu will face No. 3 seed Jose Acasuso of Argentine, who defeated unseeded Spaniard Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 6-2, 6-4 in the other semifinal.

Massu owns the career advantage over Acasuso, winning two of their three career encounters, but the Argentine won their most recent meeting in Basel last year.

In the doubles final, Acasuso and Sebastian Prieto won their first title of the year when they upset top seeds Frantisek Cermak and Leos Friedl 7-6(2), 6-4.

Andy Roddick
announced on his website that he has canned coach Dean Goldfine: "After heartfelt deliberations last Thursday with Dean Goldfine, Andy has decided to bring his older brother, John Roddick, on the road as his traveling coach. Dean, who has traveled with Andy since December of 2004, will remain an integral member of Team Roddick, contributing to Andy's growth in a consultant position. Dean currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two young children, not far from the Roddick's home in Boca Raton. The specific responsibilities of Dean's new advisory role in Team Roddick are to be determined but Andy is very enthusiastic and appreciative for Dean's continued guidance." Sounds like Dean will be fetching water during practices, ouch...Do Minh Quan rose to No. 1007 this week with a bullet, the highest ranking for a Vietnamese player in the history of the ATP Rankings, on target to pass Mark Philippoussis...Rafael Nadal, who hasn't competed since October but is scheduled to return later this month, on being sidelined with the foot injury: "You think of everything, including that at the very worst you won't be able to return to play tennis again," he told sports daily Mundo Deportivo on Tuesday. "I have cried many times at home especially when I saw that I couldn't play and the pain wouldn't go away. I would leave it a few days and try again but the pain would come back. It was a really bad time. I am pleased that we have located the problem and have now taken measures to solve it. They have made new soles for my shoes and changed the supports for my foot and that seems to be working because I don't have the same kind of pain as before. I am still a little worried but that is only normal. That won't disappear until I have played a few tournaments."...From Sportinglife: "France's Davis Cup squad have backed captain Guy Forget's decision to drop veteran Fabrice Santoro for this weekend's World Group first-round clash against Germany. Santoro enjoyed the best Grand Slam performance of his career at the Australian Open when he reached the quarterfinals. Forget then called him up for the Davis Cup match in Halle but reversed his decision at the last minute after Santoro committed himself to an exhibition tournament in Tarbes last weekend. Forget accused him of choosing money over the chance to play for his country in a competition where his contribution has proved essential in recent years. Santoro expressed his disappointment at his skipper's decision but other players -- Sebastien Grosjean, Arnaud Clement and Richard Gasquet -- have taken Forget's side. Clement said: "All the players had agreed to gather on Saturday, Santoro knew that would happen. So why did he commit himself to doing this exhibition in Tarbes? We were all very disappointed and surprised when we found out. I don't even understand why Guy is trying to justify himself. This is not between Fabrice and Guy, but between Fabrice and the whole team. No one would have done what he did."...This weekend The Tennis Channel will show Friday's U.S. vs. Romania Davis Cup tie live, while OLN will pick up the Saturday doubles and Sunday singles live. TTC will also show Germany vs. France live beginning at 8 a.m. Friday (EST), then 9 a.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday...Mary Pierce on her goals this week in Paris: "I don't know. We'll see. I guess I'll simply try to enjoy myself on the court and proceed match by match." Set that bar high Mary...The ATP Tour of Champions (senior tour) will expand to 12 events in 2006 after agreeing to a three-year title-sponsorship deal with Merrill Lynch Investment Managers. Former No. 1 Marcelo Rios will make his senior tour debut in 2006, with this from the official release: "The arrival of Rios on the Tour will provide the Chilean with his first competitive action since he retired from the ATP circuit in 2004. A stylish left-hander with a magical touch, Rios was also renowned for his waspish personality, and matches between the Chilean and John McEnroe could spark fireworks."...From the Daily Telegraph: "Special Olympics organisers are seething after Australian tennis star Lleyton Hewitt failed to turn up to a fundraising Harbour cruise held especially in his honour last week. A global ambassador for the Special Olympics, Hewitt agreed to host the Sydney Harbour cruise on Friday, which was aimed at raising funds for people with intellectual disabilities to get to the Special Olympics World Games in China next year. But Hewitt pulled out just 24 hours before the event citing a sore foot. "The whole event was timed around Lleyton and everyone else fitted in," Special Olympics sponsorship manager Daniel Lewis said yesterday. "We were so embarrassed. As a global ambassador, we expected a lot more...The kids were really looking forward to it. It was a big thing for them. Money, money, money -- that's all it's about. When people like him get to the top they suddenly forget where they came from. He didn't have to say a speech, he could have sat in a corner if he wanted to." -- So between that and the unexpected baby and bailing on Davis Cup with the row with Tennis Australia and your ranking plunging out of the Top 10 and your suing a restaurant for giving pictures to a newspaper and Australian fans seething, how are things going Lleyton?...Las Vegas oddsmakers have the U.S. Davis Cup team as a 92 percent favorite to beat Romania this weekend...Pat Rafter tells The Australian there is a flip side to Lleyton Hewitt not playing in this weekend's Davis Cup tie for Australia against Switzerland: "If Lleyton played I think [Roger] Federer would have made himself available in a heartbeat. It's a catch 22. Lleyton's a big loss but so is Federer."...David Taylor, former coach of Alicia Molik, Martina Hingis and currently Russian Maria Kirilenko, will be appointed the new Aussie Fed Cup coach...From the Ventura County Star: "Mike Bryan grabs the bottle from the refrigerator, untwists the cap and takes a swig of the liquid. He quickly reaches for a glass of water to mask the unpleasant aftertaste -- a small price to pay for what the elixir has done for the 27-year-old. It was only a little more than a year ago when Bryan was contemplating an early retirement, and wondering if his twin brother, Bob, would be better off finding another partner. His hips constantly ached, and surgery was strongly considered. But fellow tour member Jeff Salzenstein recommended Bryan try taking "Rapid Response" -- a formula touting its ability to stimulate the immune system and provide anti-inflammatory relief. "It's been a miracle," said Bryan, who also eliminated wheat from his diet after being tested for food allergies. "Jeff sent along a bottle while we were on our bus tour last year going through Denver. He said to have an open mind and give this stuff a shot." Bryan considers the dietary changes as key contributors in the recent string of success by the brothers. Eliminating pain has provided him with a more positive mind set, and translated into more positive results on the court."...From the Times Online: "Yannick Noah, the tennis star turned singer, is one of several well-known figures to have fallen victim to a frenzy of salacious tabloid journalism in Cameroon. Noah, 45, a Frenchman of Cameroonian descent, who is known for his winning ways with women as much as for his success with a tennis racket, is among more than 50 politicians, entertainers and sports figures named in an anti-gay campaign that is sweeping the country. He is joined by the popular musician Manu Dibango, the singer Rosine Ebessa, and two Cabinet ministers. Most of those "outed" vehemently deny the allegations, which they say are based on rumours spread by enemies."...From the ATP: "Roger Federer is celebrating his 106th consecutive week as world No. 1 with the highest-ever points total in INDESIT ATP Rankings history. The Swiss has compiled 7,275 points to beat his own record of 6,980 points, set on June 6 last year."...Aussie Sam Stosur this week became the 21st player to rank No. 1 in doubles on the WTA Rankings.

2-9-06

2-9-06

Call Andy Roddick "Pie Crust," because the actions of the former No. 1-ranked American just keep getting flakier and flakier. Last week it was unexpectedly showing up to play the Delray Beach qualifying event, then leaving in a huff with coach Dean Goldfine telling the local press that the tournament director had broken a trust by notifying the local media. Then yesterday Roddick's official website posted the story that Goldfine had been canned in favor of his brother John becoming his traveling coach, with Goldfine now in some vague supporting role. But by noon yesterday the story had been pulled from Andy's website, and Andy wasn't making himself available for comment -- nor was his website returning inquiries. Oops. The flaky-goodness Pie Crust saga continues today with one day remaining until Andy, James Blake and the Bryan brothers take on Romania. Is the best preparation for a big match firing your coach mere days before? "Andy felt that basically I wasn't able to help him play his best tennis," Goldfine told Charlie "Brick" Bricker of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I think, in general, coaches a lot of times get too much credit and too much of the blame. We can't hit the balls for them."...John McEnroe will be calling the U.S. Davis Cup action with Leif Shiras this weekend on OLN/The Tennis Channel: "John McEnroe is the most recognizable face in tennis commentary and his legacy in Davis Cup is in a league of its own," said Steve Bellamy, president and founder of The Tennis Channel. "It is our goal to make every broadcast spectacular and John is a perfect addition to a wonderful venue and an incredible U.S. team."...Brad Gilbert speaking to the BBC on Andy Roddick: "More than anything, his situation is about how much better [Roger] Federer has been since 2003. He's like the Tiger Woods of tennis. Without Federer, Andy would be winning a whole lot more tournaments." -- That may apply for the eight times they have faced each other from 2003-05, three times at Slams (all at Wimbledon), but what would account for all of Andy's other event/Slam losses? That's some Andy apology-PR going a little far -- you're not his coach any more Brad, get a little objective. His last four losses to Gilles Muller, Ivo Karlovic, Ivan Ljubicic and Marcos Baghdatis haven't had anything to do with Club Fed...Brother John is the third coach in the last 14 months for Andy Roddick...Murphy Jensen blogging for The Tennis Channel website: "Tommy Hass [sic] attended Delray for the first time with high school sweetheart Sandy who is currently a jewelry designer and hopes to launch a new line anytime. I don't think it will be called Tommy. He has been traveling with her since Australia and they seem to be the hot combination because Tommy acts and sounds happy and looks healthy again after a couple of years of nagging injuries."...Andy Roddick on the court speed and setting for the U.S. Davis Cup tie this weekend: "It's a very, very average court in every aspect. I don't mean 'average' as bad. I'm saying the speed, the balance, everything about it. I think it's a pretty intimate court out there, environment. Should feel pretty loud."...Worst/creepiest "question" from the U.S. Davis Cup press conference: "I got to the watch the match in Belgium that Andy [Roddick] played, brought terrific intensity to that match. Truly elevated your game. I hope you're going to be able to keep that intensity. You played a terrific match. Hope to see that intensity continue."...From the AP: "Argentine tennis player Mariano Hood has been suspended for one year after testing positive for a banned drug at the French Open. The International Tennis Federation -- the sport's world governing body -- announced the ban on Wednesday. The ITF's Anti-Doping Tribunal rejected Hood's defense that he was taking the drug finasteride to prevent hair loss. Finasteride can be used as an agent to mask the presence of other drugs and is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list." -- You've got to hand it to the doubles specialist Hood though, hair loss, that's a good effort. The ban is effective from last October...From Justine Henin-Hardenne's website: "Last October Justine revealed that Fed Cup was a huge possibility, but the decision was going to be made after the Australian leg of the tour in 2006. Justine has pondered this question, and has decided to be available for the Belgium squad on the condition that she must be in good health at the time of the Fed Cup meetings. Justine will be working with Fed Cup captain Carl Maes, and the French-speaking region's tennis president, Andrew Stein during the sessions. The first Fed Cup tie (or matches) for 2006 squad will be played in Belgium on April the 22 and 23, in Country Hall of Sart-Tilman, Southern Belgium at Liege. The Belgians will face off with the reigning title holder champions, the Russians."...Martina Navratilova plans to play a full schedule of doubles tournaments in 2006, including the three remaining Grand Slams, and may even play some singles: "I just feel like I'm not quite done yet," Navratilova said Wednesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "When I feel like I'm done, then I'm done. And I don't know when that will happen. We'll see how the body's going...I might get on the grass again (in singles). Right now, that's so far away, I'm not worried about it or thinking about it. If it happens, it happens. If I'm ready, then I'll play. If I'm not, then I won't...I'm going to start patting my own back a little more, saying, 'You know what? What I'm doing is amazing.' It's maybe about defying age and showing Father Time, 'Hey, I'm still here.' I've always been the defiant type. That's why I left the country. I couldn't deal with the Communists." Navratilova had knee surgery at the end of last year, and looks to return later this month at Dubai and Doha where the under-the-table guarantees are bound to be delicious...From tennisreporters.net: "It appears that Aussie Lleyton Hewitt will definitely play San Jose, despite the heat he is receiving Down Under for opting out of his country's Davis Cup tie against Switzerland in Geneva. Hewitt's camp has made full arrangements with the tournament to take care of his wife, Bec, as well as their baby, Mia. Some members of the Aussie press are claiming that Hewitt's bum ankle is healed and that he's skipping the tie in protest of Tennis Australia's failure to speed up the courts at the Aussie Open." Ya think?...From Jon Wertheim at SI.com: "I wonder if the folks from JHH's camp and at the WTA -- make that the SONY ERICSSON WTA Tour -- have grasped the dimensions of this p.r. crisis. I easily got 250 emails from you guys, and they were running 95 percent against Henin-Hardenne. Tennis Nation is really cracking on her. This isn't the usual partisan rooting. These are sentiments like Ted's. "I used to admire her pluck, but I simply can't support [her] any longer."...Yahoo! Sport's tennis page is still running the ATP "Champions Race" standings, dubbed the "Latest World Rankings" at Yahoo!, where Marcos Baghdatis is No. 2 "in the world," and Nicholas Kiefer No. 4. Thanks ATP! Keep feeding them that outdated data, after pulling the Champions Race from the ATP site...Pat Rafter says he's going to do more junior coaching: "I'm looking forward to that. I've got to do something, I'm not doing a lot."...Next week's ATP San Jose event has taken away Sargis Sargsian's main draw wildcard, giving it to Mardy Fish and bumping Sargsian to the qualifying. Guess Andre Agassi's pull only goes so far...Henri Leconte says he wants to return to the tour to play doubles with Boris Becker...Best weird headline goes to the San Diego Union-Tribune for their U.S. Davis Cup coverage: "Romanians not here for us to patronize"...Mary Pierce has taken a wildcard into next week's strong Antwerp field...From the Sydney Morning Herald: "Lleyton Hewitt says accusations that he snubbed a Special Olympics fundraiser feel like a knife in the back given his commitment to Australia. He says he didn't know about the event, and couldn't have gone anyway because, had he not been sidelined by injury, he was due to be playing Davis Cup tennis in Switzerland. Special Olympics Australia has unreservedly apologised to the tennis champ for a misunderstanding that fueled reports in News Limited newspapers and on the Seven Network."...Sjeng Schalken is back in the quarterfinals this week of the Bergamo Challenger after being out for an extended period with illness and a foot injury.

2-10-06

2-10-06

Marat Safin
has pulled from Marseille with his ongoing knee injury...From the Washington Post at Fashion Week: "Serena Williams came in wearing this tiny, short silvery little halter dress that she had no business even thinking about, let alone wearing in public." Serena, who needs match play more than any player out there right now, skipping Paris for Fashion Week -- that's where the priorities are...Controversy continues to swirl around Andy Roddick, who Friday won the first two sets in his Davis Cup match against Andrei Pavel of Romania. In the third set Roddick joked with the U.S. fans, apparently confident of cruising to victory, but upon losing the third set in a breaker started throwing up during changeovers, and lost the next two sets. In the fifth set the American promptly went down 1-5, but then got a second wind to bring it to 4-5 before the shaky Pavel eventually closed it out. How bad is Pavel at closing out matches, the worst since Carlos Moya? To Roddick's credit, doubled over in pain during the fifth and sitting over a puke bucket during changeovers, the American did an anti-Henin-Hardenne, refusing to quit and almost stealing the match back from Pavel. Roddick says nerves played no part in the result: "If it were nerves, I'd be puking a lot more in matches, like during the Wimbledon final. Nerves probably don't help the situation, but if I puked every time I was nervous, then we'd have a lot of dirty courts." We all change as we get older Andy...Former No. 1 and three-time French Open winner Gustavo "Guga" Kuerten says he will hang it up at the end of the year if cannot recover from his hip surgery and other injuries and become a force again on tour: "I am 29 and if by the end of the season I haven't rediscovered my top form, I will stop playing."...The U.S.-Romania Davis Cup doubles will be shown on The Tennis Channel at 4 p.m. (EST) Saturday...Marat Safin's website on his pull from Marseille: "Please note, there is nothing wrong with (Safin's) knee, it was just felt that his level of fitness was not sufficient to enable him to know he can not only enter, but also win a tournament. As such he feels that another week will just fine tune his level of performance. Marat is still very determined, but does not want to start until he knows he is 100 percent fit."

2-12-06

2-12-06

From DavisCup.com: "A full-time Russian tennis channel made its first broadcast recently, with Yevgevy Kafelnikov commentating at this [Russia v. Netherlands] Davis Cup by BNP Paribas tie. "What we miss are fans like the Dutch have," said [Igor] Andreev, who may have taken some diplomacy classes from his captain. "Tennis is getting ever more popular in Russia, but the support the Dutch guys got from their crowd is something else. Even when they were losing, the crowd kept going. I've never seen that before."...Andy Roddick says he doesn't know what made him sick Friday during his first Davis Cup match, but he refuted it was nerves, or even due to his recent coaching change: "Yeah, the thing is, if it were nerves, I would be puking a lot more in matches. If it was nerves, I'd be puking during Wimbledon finals and that whole thing. Nerves probably don't help that situation, but if I puked every time I was nervous, then we'd have a lot of dirty courts (laughter from media)...The coaching change hasn't been weighing heavily on my mind. I talked to Dean [Goldfine] yesterday. It's not causing me a lot of, you know, personal conflict. Dean and I are still great, great friends. You know, I got a text message from him today after the match, seeing how I was doing. I don't think that made me puke (more laughter from media)."...After Victor Hanescu retired with injury after a set in the Saturday USA vs. Romania Davis Cup doubles, fans were treated to exhibition play when match commentator John McEnroe came out of the booth to pair with brother and U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe against the Bryan brothers in an eight-game pro set...Nice classy intro before the USA vs. Romania Davis Cup doubles yesterday, with U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe speaking to the crowd about being supportive but respectful, and giving a little Davis Cup history of the competition between countries, and Romanian Davis Cup captain Florin Segarceanu also addressing the crowd and the two teams exchanging gifts...Miki Singh writing for ESPN.com on the tour reemergence of John McEnroe: "For someone who rarely comes up in conversations concerning the all-time greats in men's tennis, John McEnroe's name is getting a lot of play of late. McEnroe, who returns to ATP Tour doubles play Wednesday night at the SAP Open in San Jose, Calif., still enjoys several tennis records that seemingly can't be topped."...Lots of e-mail and message-board hammering when we wrote that Andy Roddick's sickness Friday in his Davis Cup loss to Andrei Pavel was a result of nerves, but less since ESPN commentators John McEnroe and Bud Collins came out on Saturday saying Roddick's gakking in a bucket courtside was from nervousness. Roddick should at least be on the upswing after today when he will likely face a non-Top-100 ranked Romanian opponent subbing for the injured Victor Hanescu in the Sunday reverse singles. Roddick on Friday: "I'm going to play. We're going to do everything in our power. I'm going to go. We don't have any other option. Yeah, I'm going to go. I'm going to try to take the best attitude possible throughout and really try to get through it and try to get a win on Sunday. I think that will make a day like today (Friday) forgotten in a lot of minds, including my own. I'd love to get out there." Roddick practiced for 45 minutes on Saturday. Remember when Pete Sampras puked against Alex Corretja at the US Open? Pete admitted he was nervous after that one...Venus Williams has pulled from Antwerp citing a strained ligament, but Kim Clijsters is scheduled to return from her ankle injury sustained at the Aussie Open...Vince Spadea blogging for tennis.com: "Where's 'Mackdatis' this week? Probably eating a gyro on the beach with his pretty blonde within reach. I'm sure he's training hard somewhere. When are you coming back Marat? At least gives us The Terminator quote. What about you, Serena? Venus? Rafael? This is like having Superman, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman disappear all at once. It's just not the same. Spadeaman might have to save the day (lol)! Plus, Johnny Mac is coming back in San Jose? I'll be in touch, cause I will be live Valentine's week from NoCal with the scoop."...Kia Motors Corporation has renewed its sponsorship agreement with Davis Cup for the next three years...Ivan Ljubicic on the Austrians blowing their court choice in putting the Croats on clay: "Result will tell you everything. I know it's easier to talk now, but it was too slow for the home players. Jurgen Melzer is a better player of faster surface, [Stefan] Koubek also. And the doubles team."

2-16-06

2-16-06

Ivan Ljubicic
on acting as player/captain for the Croat Davis Cup team last weekend: "It was extremely strange at the beginning. I found myself sitting on the bench with Mario [Ancic] during the first rubber, and I didn't know what to tell him, as it was my first time. But I think it's possible to be captain and play at the same time, as long as you don't get too emotional on the bench. I felt fine for my own match and it went well. I spoke to Goran [Ivanisevic] a couple of days ago, and he said he was thinking about (becoming captain), which is better than a straight 'No.'"...From the Sydney Morning Herald: "Tennis legend and Perth evangelical church founder Margaret Court regrets saying Muslims were bearing children on a production line. She reckons she should have just said they were multiplying. The founder of the Christian Victory Life Centre was referring to a comment she made in a West Australian newspaper article in defence of former federal veterans affairs minister Danna Vale. Ms. Vale sparked controversy this week after claiming, as part of her contribution to the debate on the abortion pill RU-486, that the rate of pregnancy terminations meant Australia could become a Muslim nation in 50 years. Ms. Court said that Muslims were having more children than other Australians because they did not believe in abortion. But she said she regretted her choice of words in the newspaper article. "I probably, in the paper, shouldn't have used the words production line," Ms. Court told Southern Cross Radio."...Hey French teen Richard Gasquet, get in shape, eh? Complaining about being tired Wednesday in San Jose after playing one Davis Cup match over the weekend? Nice mentality/work ethic...Andy Murray on the ATP schedule: "I don't think the schedule is too long. Why not play just 15 events instead of playing 22 and saying you're tired at the end of the 22nd one? Maybe the Masters Series events should not be back to back, especially at the end of the year (in Madrid and Paris), but that's about it."...Javier Piles, the coach of David Ferrer, on Spain's Davis Cup loss on the slick Belarus indoor courts: "Having the players practicing on these courts three weeks beforehand was an error. Mentally, they were exhausted from the anxiety. After a week they were thinking only about the matches and each day they became more tense." Or maybe the Spanish "B"-squad without the big-match experienced Rafael Nadal, Juan Carlos Ferrero or Carlos Moya just choked it...San Jose Tournament Director Bill Rapp before John McEnroe's doubles match Wednesday: "We don't even know where we're going to put all the players. We've only got about 30 player tickets and they all want to come."...The Tennis Channel Open will hold a "Shotgun 21" pre-qualifying event, where recreational players can actually earn wildcards into the men's ATP event and women's challenger event qualifying tournaments in Las Vegas during the week of Feb. 27. The Shotgun 21 event features men and women in the same draw with no serving -- instead points start with a feed like a groundstroke game, with a game played up to 21 like ping-pong. The format was created by Steve Bellamy, president and founder of The Tennis Channel, and the pre-qualifying is open to all who sign up. "We've said from the start that the Tennis Channel Open and our accompanying Tennispalooza festival will present an event like nobody has ever seen," Bellamy told Tennis Week. "People who have played this unique format love it, as will those who try to earn a spot in the main Vegas tournament draws. 'Shotgun 21' is just one of the many things we are doing to make 'Panasonic presents The Tennis Channel Open' special for players, fans, our television audience and the entire tennis community."

2-20-06

2-20-06

So what got more attention for doubles this week, getting the Bryan brothers to play tennis in the street and watch some guy spay-paint graffiti in New York, or simply getting John McEnroe to play the tour event in San Jose, which captured even the attention of non-tennis broadcasts, websites and publications? Hey ATP, we'll say it again, and it's so simple -- give McEnroe, Boris Becker, Pete Sampras and all these active-tour retired senior guys who are still playing some wildcard doubles opportunities to play ATP events. Go to them instead of waiting for guys like McEnroe to come to you...While The Tennis Channel's Barry MacKay gushes that John McEnroe is playing even better than his tour days, McEnroe himself admits he is playing at only 60 percent of his prime, which is apparently enough to beat a handful of "B"-level doubles specialist to win an ATP title. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Unless you're on the other side of the court from McEnroe, and your job was just done better by a 47 year old..The Times Online on Andy Murray: "The sport has never had anyone like him to contend with. Somnambulistic one minute, surging the next, he is a freak in British terms -- just as Henman was -- but with his head screwed on to such an extent that he knows exactly what he is going to say and has a decent idea as to the impact of his words. When he gives Roger Federer, Marat Safin, Ivan Ljubicic and David Nalbandian extremely decent runs for their money and sends Andy Roddick, the former world No. 1, into a lather of self-defeating angst, he becomes a very dangerous property, indeed."...Why was Andy Murray trying to tongue his girlfriend in the crowd after the San Jose win? Ewwww...Amelie Mauresmo has won 15 matches on the trot...From tennis writer Matt Cronin: "Isn't it great when you read on tennis.com that a Tennis magazine editor is asking for Maria Sharapova's autograph at a swimsuit party? Aren't they teaching Journalism 101 ethics at the Tennis mag headquarters anymore?" -- Buh-bam!...Has Amelie Mauresmo shed the big-match-choking monkey off her back, or has she been lucky by meeting sub-par and injured players in finals? The Frenchwoman tells Reuters that now that she has won her first slam, she can see herself winning all four in 2006: "It's certainly within my grasp. I am still not firing on all cylinders just yet, so there is certainly better to come from me. Having been world No. 1, being No. 1 is not that important. Winning another grand slam is more important to me. Winning Roland Garros in Paris of course for me as a French person is the pinnacle, but I want all four. I think the way I handle things now having won in Australia and (the Tour Championship in) Los Angeles gives me a lot of confidence and I am much more relaxed on court which is good." Mauresmo will re-take the No. 1 ranking this week if she reached the final in Dubai...Andy Murray's not-so-media-shy mom Judy after his San Jose win: "It was not just that Andy beat a player in the Top 10 for the first time, but also that he beat a player as well known as Roddick, previously ranked as the best player in the world who won a grand slam title at the US Open. Beating Roddick was undoubtedly the biggest win of his career, and was just what Andy needed right now. Andy has shown that he can play his best tennis against the top players, and is inspired by the big occasion, and that's what you need if you want to be a top player." -- thanks for the PR summary Judy...John McEnroe looked much closer to 47 years in the San Jose final, getting broken in both sets leading to the deciding match tiebreak which he and partner Jonas Bjorkman edged through. It was an amazing ninth title in San Jose for McEnroe, who is now 78-23 in career doubles finals, while Bjorkman rose to 43-38...Australia's Davis Cup quarterfinal in April against Belarus (including Lleyton Hewitt?) will be played at Kooyong in Melbourne...Andy Murray is the youngest British player to win a title in the Open Era, and the youngest to win in the Bay Area since a 16-year-old Michael Chang won San Francisco in 1988...Lleyton Hewitt was 8-0 in finals against opponents ranked outside the Top 50 before losing to Andy Murray. Props for that stat from Greg "The Remorseless Eating Machine" Sharko from the ATP...John McEnroe has now won doubles titles in four different decades...Andy Murray on the absence of his coach Mark Petchey in San Jose: "I spoke to him last night, and he was a bit worried I was going to sack him and hire my girlfriend. No, he's been great."...Lleyton Hewitt on Andy Murray: "I guess there haven't been too many 18-year-olds in the last five years or so with that kind of skill. He hits the ball extremely well, he mixes it up extremely well. I think he mixes it up like (Miloslav) Mecir does. He can dictate when he wants too, but he is also very good on the defense."

2-21-06

2-21-06

From the WTA: "In a scene more reminiscent of the Winter Olympics than the Dubai Tennis Championships, former world No. 1's Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova took time out on Monday from their preparations for the Dubai Duty Free Women's Open to enjoy a unique "practice session" at Ski Dubai, the world's first indoor alpine ski resort located in the Mall of the Emirates, one of the largest shopping malls in the world. Playing in minus two degrees Celsius and surrounded by snowy slopes and chalets, the world No. 3 and 4 rallied on a specially-built tennis court at the recently opened Ski Dubai. The court was surrounded by five runs that vary in difficulty, height and steepness, the longest being 400 meters with a height of over 60 meters. Real snow covers the slopes all year round, and fresh snow is created daily to ensure perfect conditions at the resort, which spans 22,500 square meters -- the equivalent of three football fields. Ski Dubai is located in the Mall of the Emirates, one of the largest shopping malls in the world." -- Must be nice to have so much oil money you don't know what to do with that you combine a shopping mall with an indoor ski resort...Coach Mark Petchey sees a slam win in ward Andy Murray's future: "I personally don't think he has a chance of winning a slam at the moment on grass," Petchey told Sky Sports. "I think [Roger] Federer's shown how complete he is on that surface. I would have to say the US Open if you were looking at one that is going to be his best chance. It's hard to keep a lid on it with how well Andy's done. But the next goal, once he's broken the Top 50, is try to get him in the top 32 before the French Open so that he gets seeded. Then I hope he can avoid some of the bigger names in the opening couple of rounds. I said a week ago that I still believe you're going to see Andy's best tennis in his 21st year -- and I still maintain that. It's a phenomenal effort to go and beat two former world No. 1s, especially [Andy] Roddick in a tournament he loves. Then to beat [Lleyton] Hewitt in the final of any event underlines Andy's potential."...From Dale Robertson at the Houston Chronicle: "A record seven black women are ranked among the Top 20 players in the U.S. They are Venus and Serena Williams, plus Jamea Jackson, Mashona Washington, Shenay Perry, Asha Rolle and Angela Haynes. Washington, a familiar face at Westside, finished 2005 ranked No. 99 in the world. Jackson, Perry, Rolle and Haynes are 21 or younger. "The U.S. is currently experiencing the greatest depth of African-Americans in women's tennis ever," said U.S. Fed Cup captain Zina Garrison. "The impact that Venus and Serena have made is obvious." A recent USTA survey showed that one-third of all new recreational players are black or Hispanic."...After the release of Monday's ATP Rankings, Brits Greg Rusedski, Tim Henman and Andy Murray are within eight ranking spots of each other...From the ATP: "World No. 1 doubles team and Memphis top seeds Bob and Mike Bryan found themselves on opposing sides of the net Monday night during the Cellular South Charity Challenge with Anna Kournikova and Tracy Austin. Bob partnered Kournikova to a 7-6, 7-6 victory after an entertaining duel that entertained the enthusiastic crowd on hand. At one point Bob fired a 130 mph ace by Mike. In the next game Austin's serve was clocked at a more sedate 60 mph, prompting the former world No. 1 to ask aloud "Can we turn that thing off?" Money raised from the event benefits the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, the Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center and the Katrina Relief Fund."...More from Tommy Haas on his coaching switch from "Red" Ayme to Thomas Hogstedt: "Red and I are like brothers, but I just felt it was time for a change," Haas told the Bradenton Herald. "Thomas was ranked 35th in the world, and he traveled with guys like Bjorn Borg and Mats Wilander. He is also someone I can practice with on the court. He had all those components, so I'm going to give it a try and go from there."...The bookmakers William Hill having slashed the odds of Andy Murray winning this year's Wimbledon tournament from 25-1 to 10-1...Marat Safin is practicing in Valencia and plans to fly to Dubai on Friday for next week's event to make his 2006 ATP debut coming off a knee injury...From Tennis Week: "Doubles celebrates its own Valentine's Day on March 19th as the Bryan brothers, Mark Knowles, Daniel Nestor, Graydon Oliver and Jonathan Stark are among the players who will participate in the third annual Love Doubles.Net event. A two-hour pro-am round robin will be followed by a doubles clinic and USA vs. The World doubles event at the 2,500-seat Racquet Club of The South in Norcross, Georgia."...Pat Cash and his son Daniel lost first round in doubles in a Futures event...Eric Gilmore of Knight Ridder under the headline "McEnroe, Murray liven up a dying sport at SAP Open": "We hear it all the time. Tennis is dead in America. It's an afterthought. Irrelevant. So far down the sports food chain behind football, baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, NASCAR -- name a sport -- that you need binoculars to spot it. At times, it's hard to argue. Then you watch the finals Sunday -- singles and doubles -- at the SAP Open, a spectacular show starring 18-year-old Andy Murray and 47-year-old John McEnroe, and you remember what a great game tennis can be and why it used to be so popular in America. Scotland's Murray, a precocious star in the making, upset Lleyton Hewitt, 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (3), to win his first ATP title in thrilling fashion. Then it was time for McEnroe to give Bay Area tennis fans a blast from his glorious past. Teaming with Jonas Bjorkman, McEnroe won his 78th ATP doubles crown and first since 1992." -- See, throw former stars like McEnroe in the mix and even the dusty part-time tennis reporters and outlets wake up...Mardy Fish blogging for the ATP website: "James [Blake] and I beat Ashley Fisher and Tripp Phillips in a match tie-break. I haven't played doubles in a long while. That was my first win since Indianapolis last year. Even in doubles it's nice to get a win. If James and I strategize before a match it's usually right as we're walking out to the court. We never talk strategy during the changeovers; we always talk about something else. The weather has 'warmed up' to around 35 today, but it's still pretty chilly and it's supposed to get cold again tonight. It's way too cold for my liking! We were going to go bowling tonight but my bicep is a little sore. I'll need my arm in good shape tomorrow against Andy, so I may have to pass on that. I saw Andy [Roddick, his first-round opponent] for the first time today. We said 'hi' and then we said, 'Okay, don't talk to me anymore.'"...Justine Henin-Hardenne shedding more light on her stomach-illness retirement in the final of the Aussie Open: "Now I can think about what happened in Melbourne I have the feeling I should never have walked on the court because it could have been dangerous for me. It's not good to play with your health because you just have one life and you have many tennis tournaments. I'm upset with myself that I didn't call anyone that night before the match. My stomach was in so much pain and I have regrets I should have made the call [to a doctor]. I cannot stop people thinking something about me, but I know the way I am and I'm totally fine with the fact that I left the court. Some people understand and some don't. That's life. You can't make everyone happy and can't make everyone like you."

2-22-06

2-22-06

We're not making this up, because we haven't fallen and hit our heads enough or smoked enough grass. From the Prince press release for their new virtual marketing campaign: "The new campaign is based on the virtual adventures of the "Ubertwins," Rolf and Rebekka, two highly-regarded, competitive tennis players whose game is significantly enhanced by Prince's equipment. Rolf and Rebekka, who are from the fictional country of Skolvia, live in an online microsite (www.ubertwins.com) and represent the epitome of young, aggressive tennis players who are fearless on the court and driven to win. On the Web site, visitors learn about their lives through a series of video Uberinterviews following tournaments, by peering into their uberlockers and even by challenging the two tennis phenoms to a game of online uberpong. Visitors to the site quickly learn that Rolf and Rebekka crave the best equipment and are very successful in their tennis careers, even garnering a variety of fictional product endorsements. Visitors to the site quickly discover that Rolf and Rebekka have a language and lifestyle all their own. For instance, Rolf, in his native Skolvish tongue, "rjules" the court, devours fish popsicles, is a 12th level Dungeon & Dragons master and always wears an orange shirt (because the "Gods," Norse, of course, favor this color). Rebekka has her own charming idiosyncrasies: She always brings her dog, Boris, to matches, is perpetually followed by an entourage and likes to meditate, but is quickly distracted by her shopaholic friends when they call on one of her five cell phones. Prince's Ubertwins program will launch February 25 with a teaser poster campaign that will appear in tennis retailers around the country." -- Sounds like the guys in the Prince marketing dept. have been "rjuling" the Uber-bong a little too much...Andy Murray in a conference call after winning San Jose: "Yeah, it was great, you know, to get respect from the players, which I think I have ever since I kind of came on the scene at Wimbledon, everybody's been saying a lot of nice things about me. It's more the ex-players and various other people who are the ones that are being a little bit negative about it. You know, they're the ones that I listen to. I listen to the Hewitts and the McEnroes and Connors and Navratilova, those sort of people, when they're saying nice things because they clearly know what they're talking about. If you get respect from players like Hewitt and Roddick, it's obviously great because they play against all the best players in the world, they've won Grand Slams and been the best in the world and they know what it takes to get there. If they're saying nice things about you, that can only be a good thing."...The age of tennis streaming on the net is upon us: last week at Marseille, this week at Rotterdam at http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/live/stream.html ...Neil Harman writing for The Times: "Nine years after he was first overlooked for the role of chief executive of the LTA, David Lloyd learnt yesterday that he had once again failed to land the job he has long craved in a sport that he loves with a passion. His reaction suggests that the governing body would be wasting its time approaching him again. Lloyd, the former Great Britain Davis Cup captain, was "heartbroken" and apoplectic when news reached him in Florida that Roger Draper, the chief executive of Sport England, will succeed John Crowther. "They had one final shot at appointing me and this was the time," he said. "Ask anyone in the sport. Phone Tim Henman, phone Greg Rusedski, phone Andy Murray, speak to anyone in the world. Who is the only person who can really do something and not worry about people throwing stones at them? Who would have the balls to make the changes that are desperately needed? There's only one person. Me. There aren't many people in life who have the credentials to run a sport as a business, to pick it up from rock bottom -- because that's where tennis is -- to make the wholesale changes that are necessary."...Simon Barnes writing for The Times on Andy Murray: "You can say what you like about Murray, but he's not Tim Henman. Murray, rightly and wisely, speaks eloquently of his debt to Henman, but more and more he is showing that he is not only Henman's successor but is his antithesis. Henman, at his magisterial best, was cold. Murray is hot. He has a singed-barbed-wire haircut, he does wild expressions and Celtic yells, he is always passing out or vomiting, he is usually in a ferment and in the moment of triumph, he fought his way through to his girl for a triumphant, public kiss. Not very Henman, no."...Anna Kournikova says you won't hear a retirement announcement from her (not as long as there's money to be made on her exo fame), playing an exhibition this week in Memphis: "Who knows if I'll come back. That's why I would like not to make a retirement announcement. You never know. I would not come back unless I feel 100 percent, whether it's mentally or physically. All those factors have to come together for me to come back. I don't want to come back and play half-effort."...Dubai Tournament Director Salah Tahlak says hell to the yes, he backs tournaments giving out under-the-table appearance money, especially when you've got tons of oil cash you don't know what to do with: "It is money well spent and a perfect return on investment for Dubai," Tahlak told Gulf News. "Players like Agassi, Navratilova and Sharapova have this appeal. Therefore, we don't have problems paying them appearance money. The Top 10 players normally do (receive money). The payment is more like a Persian carpet, each one has a different pricing." And on getting Roger Federer and Andre Agassi to hit tennis balls on the Burj Al Arab hotel helipad last year: "That stunt was valued at $9.5 million, while the marketing and public relations returns for the entire event was pinned at $24.5 million. This is sound return on the investments."...Is James Blake still a "lock" for the April U.S. Davis Cup meeting with Chile after losing in the first round in his last two events, and seeing Mardy Fish take Andy Roddick to a third-set breaker? Now coach Pat Mac may have problems over the next month he didn't anticipate, depending on how his boys fare at Indian Wells and Miami...Word is that Sania Mirza will pull from Doha with a sore elbow...The hot ticket for publicity now is obviously getting John McEnroe to play your doubles event, and Indianapolis Tournament Director Kevin Martin says sign him up: "It's something we'll investigate and see what the realities are from a scheduling and a financial standpoint," Martin told the Indianapolis Star. "I was fortunate to be there when McEnroe won the (singles) title here in 1989 and it would be fun to have that energy back here in Indianapolis." Good luck and hope you have plenty of cash, the ATP senior tour guys are just getting a sniff of how lucrative (and popular) some tour doubles appearances can be...Justin Gimelstob, blogging for SI.com, with the I-told-you-so concerning the tour doubles success of John McEnroe: "Players scoffed at me. They said he was too slow, that his second serve would get killed, that he couldn't generate enough pace. I was bemused by their ignorance then and even more so after I watched Johnny Mac dissect the second-seeded team in the first round of the SAP Open in San Jose last Wednesday night before proceeding to win the tournament, his first doubles title since 1992."

2-23-06

2-23-06

Early highlights from next week's "Tennispalooza" at the ATP stop in Las Vegas, the Tennis Channel Open: a $1 million Kwiat Diamond Wilson tennis racquet symbolizing the "Grandeur of Professional Tennis" (can we win it? raffle?) -- a women's event featuring top seeds Jelena Dokic and Alexandra Stevenson -- the men's event featuring Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Fernando "Hot Sauce" Verdasco, Fernando "Gonzo" Gonzalez, Xavier "X-Man" Malisse, Tommy Haas, Robby Ginepri, Vince "Rappin'" Spadea James Blake, the Bryan brothers and Mark Philippoussis among others -- the Wilson World Stringing Championships ("Feel the Finger Burn!") -- a fast-serve competition where the amateur winners get to compete against the pros on Stadium Court -- the world's first non-gender discriminatory pre-qualifying tournament where men and women compete against each other in the same draw, "Shotgun 21" -- an in-the-works player/media/special guest veggie hot-dog eating contest (Tournament director/circus manager Steve Bellamy is a vegetarian) -- and an international paddle tennis event with wildcard entrants the Jensen brothers...Speaking of the bald-pated duo, here's Murphy Jensen blogging for The Tennis Channel website on the return of John McEnroe: "What I admire most about this comeback is that he is traveling with his Dad, just like the good ol' days. That is extra special for me because it takes me back to all those epic Grand Slam finals when John always had his family in the players' box. John Sr. is just as much a legend of the sport as John Jr. I have always felt that he called the shots and represented the tennis parent the best way one could, rooting and supporting his son and yet letting him be who he is and without getting in the way or looking for a way to benefit from his success. If there ever is a tennis parent hall of fame, it would include Mr. McEnroe. He raised a great family in and out of tennis and yet was able to always be a symbol of excellence and dignity in whatever he did. I admire him greatly. I want to ask you one simple question, though. Is John McEnroe going to become tennis' George Forman? Will he knock out all young competitors and send them crying home to Mom? Will there be a Johnny Mac Grilling Machine or meat cleaver?"...The retired Brenda Schultz-McCarthy won a round in the qualifying this week at the WTA stop in Memphis...The WTA Memphis final will be Saturday at 8 p.m. (EST), shown live on The Tennis Channel...Kim Clijsters, coming back too soon from injury last week in Antwerp, says she has aggravated her ankle to the point where she will now pull from Indian Wells...Boris Becker won damages of $1.4 million Wednesday from the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung that used his image for an advertising campaign without his permission in 2001...Jon Wertheim writing for SI.com: "Last summer, the head of ATP Europe made the stunningly distasteful analogy between men's doubles and cancer. A doubles player responded in kind, referring to the executive as "Hitler." Around the same time, the doubles specialists hired lawyers and announced they were suing the tour. It was shaping up to be a typical mindless, mutually destructive tennis turf war when, against all odds, reason and compromise prevailed. Here we are six months later, and doubles is suddenly a hot property. The Australian Open doubles final may have been the match of the tournament, one that sent fans away happy after the ugliness of the preceding women's final. Men's doubles has its own blue-chip sponsor in Stanford Financial. John McEnroe's return last week in San Jose gave doubles an extra jolt of publicity." From Mike Bryan: "My dad sent an e-mail to all the doubles players asking, "Do you think McEnroe and Bjorkman will beat Arthurs and Huss?" I'd say at least 80 percent said McEnroe and Bjorkman would win. John is so sharp, he's playing so well, and Bjorkman is Bjorkman. John played well in that exhibition and so I said it would be four and four. They won three and three, so I won the pool." Mike on if they were to face Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi in doubles: "I'm going to say we'll win eight of 10. I mean, we played Agassi and Blake in an exhibition, and Agassi was playing great, and we hadn't hit a ball in a while. He clipped us. He comes in hot. Afterwards, he gives us crap: "It's great beating the Number 2 team in the world." Next time we play Agassi we're getting ready."...Mardy Fish blogging for the ATP website on coaches Todd Martin and Scott Humphries: "Todd is a little more hands on; he wants to talk about everything. He likes to write everything down in this little book during a match and analyze...and sometimes overanalyze things! Todd's got a lot of knowledge and we play very similar games, so I knew we would be a good fit. I've never seen the book, so I don't know what he's jotting down during a match. He likes to talk a lot during practice and I get a little agitated with him at times. He'll want to work on one thing and I'll do it wrong and he'll want to talk about it. I'll be like 'Just let me get back there and let's do it again.' So we get into little arguments. When Todd's not here Scott takes over the role and we'll talk about things I need to accomplish in a match."...Sania Mirza says she is in a transitional phase of her game with coach Tony Roche: "There are a few things that we've worked upon at the end of last year. I've been slicing the ball as often as I can. I've also changed the action of my serve. But I suppose it will take some time for me to effect the changes in the serve. It may be in the next one month or it may take six months."...Svetlana Kuznetsova likes Dubai: "It's almost like Russia. This place is so multi-racial. It's so amazing. There seems to be more Russians here now. The difference is Dubai is safe. It's safe to go out and look around."...Tennis writer Peter Bodo on Sania Mirza: "Mirza refuses to play with a girl, a friend no less, because she's an Israeli. A Jew! It's a sad, sad story, this one, and, I suppose, a sign of the times. I have to confess, I really liked Sania Mirza when she first popped onto the scene last year. Since then, just about everything this girl has done has rubbed me the wrong way. But until now, it's just been silly, transparently self-absorbed stuff. At the very least, it seems to me, Mirza could have chosen not to play doubles at all. Instead, she capitulated, and gave the fanatics a PR coup. It's a sad day for women's tennis and the WTA. Mirza, I guess, will work it out for herself."...The ATP, which showed they are pros at taking what should be internal conflicts like the doubles changes and blowing them up into public PR nightmares, are now at it again as Tennis Week reports on another ongoing conflict the ATP refuses to resolve quickly and privately: "Ray Keldie is a former Australian doubles finalist who now finds himself in a singles fight with the ATP in the Florida court system. Former Australian pro Keldie was one of the 79 founding members of the ATP Tour and remains the only founding member who is not receiving pension benefits from the ATP. Grand Slam champions and Hall of Famers Roy Emerson and Fred Stolle have both written letters on Keldie's behalf supporting his petition for pension benefits. However, the ATP has denied Keldie's petition. The ATP has informed Keldie's attorney, Lawrence D. Bache, there are two primary reasons for Keldie's exclusion from pension benefits: The ATP asserts Keldie failed to timely pay his membership dues. The ATP asserts Keldie failed to pay a $1,000 fine (previously thought to be $2,000) assessed against him for not honoring the ATP's 1973 Wimbledon boycott. New information obtained by Bache and Keldie -- including an April 8th, 1974 letter from Hall of Famer and former ATP executive director Jack Kramer acknowledging Keldie paid his dues and appealed his fine -- suggests both reasons cited by the ATP are without merit..."...Lindsay Davenport's double bagel of Russian Elena Likhovtseva in Dubai was her 700th career win.

2-25-06

2-25-06

Is Andy Roddick using his brother John as a transitional or a long-time coach? Inquiring minds want to know. So we asked you. Which was a bad idea. In a poll of Tennis-X readers, with approximately 800 responses, a leading 32 percent of readers responded to the question "After brother John, who will Roddick's next coach be?" with "Who cares?" Nice. Second with 27 percent was Sebastien Grosjean's coach Brad Stine, with 7 percent each for former coach Brad Gilbert (good luck), Jim Courier, Patrick McEnroe and the choice "He'll stick with John." Tim Henman's coach Paul Annacone garnered 6 percent, Andre Agassi's coach Darren Cahill 5 percent, former coach Tarik Benhabiles (good luck) who is currently working with "Dr." Ivo Karlovic and a couple other players got 2 percent, and Roger Federer's part-time coach Tony Roche received 1 percent of votes...Never the best of friends, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters have made separate comments that they would like to make a rare appearance on the same Belgian Fed Cup team when their nation hosts Russia in the first round in April. Clijsters also tells Reuters she is not looking forward to this year's claycourt season: "On claycourts is where my injury seems to have started (after) injuring my knee and hip. Physically, I have never felt I could move freely on clay or (be) a natural claycourt player. With the cold weather and heavier balls it has always been a lot tougher on my body."...Thomas Johansson was hit in the eye practicing Thursday and required surgery to re-attach his retina. He is expected to be out four months...Mardy Fish blogging on the ATP website: "James (Blake) and I were really pumped to save a couple of match points against Gimelstob and Huss today and win the Match Tie-break. We now play our good buddies the Bryan brothers in the semis and that will be a lot of fun. It's a night match Saturday. We have a lot of respect for how Bob and Mike play and how focused they are on the court. Bob and I have had some great battles in singles and doubles. But I'm very close to both of them and we spend a lot of time together, particularly during Davis Cup weeks...I still have some reservations about no-ad at deuce -- that's so cut-throat -- but I definitely like the Match Tie-break. It shortens matches and increases excitement for fans...We had a quick hit on site and then watched a little of the Olympic hockey between Sweden and the Czech Republic in the locker room before we went out to play. There is a large screen TV and a couple of very comfortable couches. Sweden won that and (Robin) Soderling was pretty fired up. He didn't even know that it was on. I was the one who turned on the TV and Sweden was leading 5-3 and then they scored right at the end of the second period. He was saying something in Swedish -- I had no clue -- but he seemed pretty fired up about it all."...Tennis writer Matt Cronin gets political and financial on your ass concerning the possible sale and move of the Indian Wells event to the oil-rich Middle East: "I care a great deal about this issue and have written on it numerous times but will do so again: no executive at the ATP or WTA should allow the sale of one of the crown jewels of US tennis to any non-democratic nation without a true market economy. US-based companies cannot properly bid against the oil barons or the sweatshop owners. They are not dealing with real money and do not have to answer to abroad of directors or a democratic governmental body like American companies and regional governments. Both Shanghai and Doha way overbid for the tournament precisely because no one is telling them not to. It would be awful for tennis not to have a Tier I tournament is the most successful tennis region in human history -- Southern California. There are no real market forces at work here, other than the IW folks (including IMG) buying too much land and being unable to properly service their debt. The way I'm reading things these days out of China (and yes, I realize that Shanghai is experimenting with capitalism), their currency is 25 percent overvalued, which is why the US and the not-so-sleeping giant are about to embark in a trade war. So the numbers don't add up from the Shanghai "Transportation Company" that is overbidding. And, from Doha? Nearly every oil company is gouging the US public in my book, distribution costs be dammed. That bids smells of improprieties, too. Moreover, there is no proof that tennis will grow if the tour allows events to move to the rich sheiks' playgrounds or the showcase arena of a repressive government. For goodness sakes: it's one thing for the guys to consider the move, but the women? Are women treated equally in Dubai or Doha? Does the WTA want to dress every member in the Top 10 in a veil and make her stay inside all day and only be allowed out to attend religious services so they can get with the local culture? That's called laughing in the face of your tour's history. Billie Jean King must be thrilled. With that said, I hope that the existence of women's tennis in the oil nations encourage women there to stand up and be counted as equals." Also from Cronin: "I (make subjective judgement calls), the aggressive and thoughtful blogger Peter Bodo does, as does Tennis-X, which reprinted my criticism with apparent glee, as well as cracking me for predicting that Blake could surpass Roddick as the top US player on foxsports.com." -- Right or wrong, you've got to hand it to Cronin and Peter Bodo for throwing it out there each week where other tennis journalists fear to tread...Tim Henman has taken a wildcard next week at Dubai...Another outspoken journalist has jumped back into the blogging business in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Charlie "The Brick" Bricker: "I'm losing track of the number of calls and email I'm getting about Jennifer Capriati. Is she coming back? When will she start practicing? Etc., etc., etc. OK, here it is. She's in the weight room and she's doing off-court work, both at Saddlebrook and in Palm Beach County, near her mother's home. She is not, however, in full court training and she's not going to push it with her recovering shoulder. She doesn't want to go through this surgery again. Jen will not play the Nasdaq-100 Open (March 22-April 2) but she's a possible for the French, which begins May 29."...A giggly Martina Hingis commenting on Maria Sharapova's grunting in Dubai: "Actually it was quite funny."...Word is Gustavo Kuerten will skip Acapulco next week because he doesn't feel prepared, with retirement looming large

2-26-06

2-26-06

Andy Roddick
has pulled from The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas citing fatigue...Mardy Fish blogging on the ATP website: "Before we went to the Grizzlies game last night we went to play putt-putt. James and I took on Thomas and Scott over 54 holes -- three 18-hole rounds. We won the first 18, they won the second 18 and then on the last 18 I made a hole-in-one on the final hole to win it for us by one shot. James gave me a big high five; Thomas threw the ball at me and Scott through the club at me. We had dinner riding on it, so we ate up well. James and I were very disappointed tonight not to be able to play the men's doubles semifinal against the Bryan brothers. We went to the basketball game with them last night and I had no idea Bob was hurt. Today we were in the locker room shortly before six o'clock and their coach David Macpherson walked by and said Bob's shoulder was hurt and that they wouldn't be able to play. I walked back to the small training room and chatted with Bob and Mike, telling them that I hoped it wasn't too serious. Bob said his shoulder was bothering him and he couldn't really lift it. Unfortunately the injury has come at a bad time for him as he has a wildcard into the main draw of singles in Vegas next week. Hopefully it will come right and he can still play. We'd been looking forward to the match ever since the draw came out. Everywhere we went in Memphis the last couple of days people were saying how they were going to watch the match. It's great to see that sort of buzz around doubles. The match was set to follow the women's singles final. To keep the fans happy James and I played an exhibition mixed doubles with Victoria Azarenka and Samantha Stosur. We were happy to do that because the tournament was very good to give me a wildcard into the singles and the doubles."...Cox Cable has agreed to switch the location of The Tennis Channel from its extended band (Channel 333) to the basic tier (Channel 99) in Vegas for this week so more locals in Las Vegas can watch The Tennis Channel Open...Tyler Cleveland and Horacio Tecau won the "Shotgun 21" pre-qualifying tournament Friday to earn spots in the weekend main qualifying at The Tennis Channel Open. The Shotgun 21 pitted men against women with no overhand serves allowed and games played to 21 points. The women qualifiers for the WTA Challenger-level Mirage Cup were Las Vegas' Shauna Morgan and Chrissy Seredni of Virginia...ATP chief Etinne de Villiers speaking with the Khaleej Times in Dubai where he attended the draw party over the weekend: "We want the fans to care about the sport as we have great tournaments. We are also working on ways how to make television a visual attraction to the fans...To have few tournaments for the top 16 (players) is less relevant. We want to bring other players to participate in our organized tournaments in order to promote the sport...The ATP is still in control and we would like to see the players participate in most championships."...Dubai officials announced that for 2007 they will double the prize money for the ATP event to $1.5 million...Rafael Nadal in Dubai: "I feel good. Not yet at my best level after three months away. The matches in Marseilles helped me build up my confidence. Now every tournament is important. I always play 100 percent, but I feel good now, and I'm playing good...I have new shoes, not the final version. It's not perfect, there are a few more details they need to work on."...Roger Federer in Dubai: "I will take it match by match, tournament by tournament. My priority is to protect my No. 1 ranking, win Wimbledon and also the French. Anyone who knows me will know how much the French means to me as I have not yet won it."...From the blogging Charlie Bricker: "Because they're in negotiations with a major tennis academy, USTA officials will not even hint at where they're moving their East Coast training facility. But I've researched pretty much the same ground; they have and there's no doubt in my mind that within a month the USTA will announce it's moving it's coaches, video equipment, trainers -- the whole operation -- to the Evert Academy in Boca Raton."...Andy Roddick on his recent string of losses: "Like I said, it's a little -- I don't know the feeling -- it's just -- I'm not mad. I'm just a little disappointed. I keep reading all these transcripts from other people and you know, if it's Murray last week saying it's the best match he's played so far, or if it's Arthurs the other night saying it's the best match he's played so far -- if this guy (Julien Benneteau) says it's not his best match, he's lying. It's just you know, or Baghdatis all of a sudden. I mean it's just kind of one after the other right now and this is the first time I've taken my lumps kind of back to back. I'm not feeling like I'm struggling hitting the ball, so it's a little frustrating but I guess it goes in cycles."...Tim Henman says he may join Gustavo Kuerten in retiring by the end of the year if he can't correct his back injury, with Guga struggling after multiple hip surgeries.

2-27-06

2-27-06

As expected, Andre Agassi says he will skip the claycourt season which is difficult on his back injury: "I will skip (the clay) and prepare early for grass. It is part of my long-term preservation plan. Clay has been tough on my body and I don't feel realistically that I can compete with the guys that specialize on it anymore. I will use that time to make myself stronger. Playing Davis Cup might be an option if I feel I can be useful. If my team and my peers can accept me on a case-by-case basis, then it would be an honor to take part. I can't expect that from them, but I don't have the luxury of giving energy that I don't have."...A little tennis extravagance from the Justine Henin-Hardenne website: "Justine soared to victory for her third Dubai trophy on Saturday night to a standing room only venue by defeating Maria Sharapova in a breathtaking match of tennis extravagance 7-5 6-2."...Maria Sharapova did her chemistry homework during the seven-hour rain break between matches over the weekend in Dubai: "The chemistry was mentally difficult and the match physically difficult," said Sharapova after beating Lindsay Davenport to reach the final...Talk about doing a good job of somehow keeping bad news undercover -- Andy Roddick pulled from The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas on Friday, and on Saturday a local Las Vegas paper ran the story but it wasn't fed to or picked up by the AP or Reuters -- and as of Sunday, two days later, the news was still off the international radar. Roddick pulled from the event citing fatigue, and will recharge his batteries for a much-needed run during the big Indian Wells/Miami swing...Prior to the trophy presentation at the ATP stop in Rotterdam, a fat man in a pink tutu streaked around the court with security guards in chase, doing well to avoid the guards to the delight of winner Radek Stepanek and runner-up Christophe Rochus...Justine Henin-Hardenne after her Dubai win: "I'm very tired, even if I didn't want to show it on the court. I always try to keep these things to myself, which is sometimes a mistake because I push myself beyond my limits. My body is very sore now. My shoulder, my knee, everything's hurting, but I always try to play with my fighting spirit."...Steffi Graf had the kids out watching the qualifying over the weekend at The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas...Now that Andy Murray has joined the seven other British players to rank in the Top 50 in the history of the ATP Rankings, he can set the goal of cracking the Top 10, accomplished by only Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman who tied with a career-high No. 4 ranking...Roger Federer's 52-match win streak on hardcourts extends back to the 2005 Aussie Open...Tour ace leader "Dr." Ivo Karlovic has three more aces total (225) than No. 2 Ivan Ljubicic, with seven less matches played (11 to 18 for Ljubicic)...Lleyton Hewitt is back in the Top 10 this week at No. 10...The Blake brothers, James and Thomas, team this week in Las Vegas, where American wildcards Mardy Fish and Robby Ginepri face No. 2 seed Jonas Bjorkman and Max "The Beast" Mirnyi in their opener...Today kicks off the Stiga Table Tennis Championships at The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas, appropriately held in the Singha Beer Garden, which you would have to think would eventually lead to some beer-pong before the night is over. TTC will show the Vegas action live from 6-10 p.m. (EST) today.

2-28-06

2-28-06

Pat Cash
on fellow senior tour player John McEnroe winning the ATP doubles title in San Jose: "I wasn't surprised at all. San Jose isn't the strongest tournament and knowing John has been playing well and staying fit and with a top player like (Jonas) Bjorkman next to him they were always going to be a tough team to beat." Cash also says don't look for Australia to reverse its downward spiral anytime soon: "Australian tennis will be quiet in the next few years. I think (Lleyton) Hewitt will find it tough unless he improves his game and develops some power tennis. The big worry is that here really aren't any great players coming out of juniors so we will be looking at the juniors who are currently around the age of 13, 14 and 15 which have some real talent but they are a few years away from the circuit."...From the Las Vegas Sun on Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman, who didn't get the memo that you don't rip players in public if you want them playing your ATP event next year: "Good thing Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman isn't worried about selling tickets. Or refunding them. Just as predictable, hizzoner wasn't bashful about saying what was on his mind, and he didn't whisper it off the record behind closed doors in the player's lounge. Grabbing the microphone at the official tournament draw Saturday, Mayor Goodman basically called (Andy) Roddick a phony who reneged on his word. Then he said the real reason Roddick bailed on the TCO was because Lleyton Hewitt was going to kick his rear end. (He actually said "rear end" too, although it took all his restraint not to use the real word in front of the genteel country club types.) Earlier, (Tournament Director Steve) Bellamy said Roddick "felt bad" about pulling out, but he (Roddick) didn't think he "had the energy" to go the distance here. That has got to be the weakest excuse since the late Redd Foxx told the IRS that the check was in the mail. Too fatigued? Lack of energy? You're 23 years old, Andy. Have a Gatorade for cryin' out loud. Take the supermodels home early and get a good night's sleep."...The Khallej Times illustrating the problems with the ATP "Race" standings with the headline: "Haas jumps to third in ATP rankings" -- He's not even Top 20...What will be Andy Roddick's fine for pulling out of Las Vegas over the weekend, leaving the Roddick-centric tournament hanging in regard to their full-on-Andy press of advertising?...The India Express says 'Hey everyone, don't forget about Sania': "To be sure, validation comes from the WTA -- whose Mirza-monitoring, frankly, is restricted to a routine realignment of weekly rankings in the 30-39 bracket. So is she just another player on the Tour? "Sania is one of the exciting young people coming up in this generation," says John Dolan, the frizzy-haired WTA senior communications manager whom you'd normally catch accompanying Sharapova or Henin-Hardenne to press meets. "She's had a fantastic season and is obviously talented. We get mountains of clippings on her, even more than Sharapova sometimes. She brings something very different to tennis because of her followers," Dolan adds. "Tennis is usually a quiet game but because of the passionate and very noisy following she enjoys from her supporters, Sania has brought a new feature to the way tennis is viewed." -- if you get to view her before the early-round exit...The blogging Charlie Bricker with the Taylor "Acci-" Dent update: "Taylor Dent is back home in Sarasota after a few days of therapy on his back after being forced to retire in the second set against Christophe Rochus in a round of 32 match in Rotterdam last week. In fact, it's the first time Dent has been home this year after playing Sydney, the Aussie Open, Marseille and Rotterdam. After three straight losses to start the season, he caught an excellent performance in beating Tomas Berdych at Rotterdam before the back flared. He'll be ready for Indian Wells and Key Biscayne."...Andy Murray had problems booking his hotel room in Las Vegas since the hotel has gambling and he in underage...James Blake says playing Las Vegas is good prep for Indian Wells next week: "I think playing Vegas will give me and the other players who choose to play there an advantage for Indian Wells. It will help to be geographically closer (to California). Travel is tough for us all year, and to have an easier trip really helps. Also, both places have a little bit of altitude, so it will help us prepare for that. Indian Wells is one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Preparation for that is very important."...Nadia Petrova is not happy with the Russian Tennis Federation: "The Russian tennis authorities can't claim any credit for the success many of the players are having on the professional circuit these days. All they do is talk and their contribution doesn't go beyond mere words. Our parents made great sacrifices and that is the main reason why many of the Russians are at the top today. Now I keep hearing from younger Russians all the time that they are facing severe financial problems. Before the perestroika, athletes didn't have to worry about training expenses, but now the federation has no money and they can do very little to help. (The top Russian players) often stay in the same hotels during tournaments but sometimes I get the feeling that there's no connection at all. I guess you can blame it on the generation. We just talk to each other casually but we never have dinners or go shopping together. I guess because we are competing against each other so fiercely it's difficult to get close to each other. I would like all of us to be friends, it would be very exciting but I don't know how that's going to happen."

3-1-06

3-1-06

Pete Sampras
has announced he will play in the World Team Tennis league this summer: "This is more about just getting myself a little busier and focused on something I used to be good at," Sampras told the AP. "It's time this year to do a little more. Last year, I was kind of floating along. I miss playing the game. I miss the majors. I miss competing. But to play at the level I used to play is a whole other animal. I've done that, and I know what it takes. Me playing a little tennis this year is something I can control; there isn't any pressure. I can relax and have a little fun. Coming back is not something that crossed my mind. When you retire, you take time away, you don't want to have anything to do with tennis. After two years of having fun and not doing much in the sport, you get a little bored and want to know what's the next chapter in your life. Last year was a turning point -- 'What am I going to do next?' -- and I had to make a decision. Playing in front of some people -- you kind of look forward to it a little bit."...Andy Murray speaking with The Sun from The Tennis Channel Open: "Vegas is certainly a bit different -- I am surprised how packed everywhere is. I tried to get into two or three restaurants and it was a 90-minute wait. You even have to queue for breakfast."...More on The Tennis Channel's much-awaited deal with DISH Network, which now gives everyone in the U.S. access to TTC: "The transformational distribution partnership with DISH Network marks the ascension of The Tennis Channel from 'emerging network' to a member of the programming big leagues," said Ken Solomon, the chairman and CEO of The Tennis Channel. "When coupled with our cable deals with eight of the top 10 cable distribution organizations, it means that the world's greatest tennis players, biggest tournaments and the lifestyle enjoyed by millions will be available to all who subscribe to DISH Network's America's Top 180 service." -- Now TTC is working on catering to the clamoring Euro/Asia fans, stay tuned...From Leighton Ginn writing for The Desert Sun: "Thanks to a powerful tennis consortium that included Pete Sampras, Chris Evert and Billie Jean King, the Pacific Life Open bought out ownership partners International Management Group (IMG) and will complete the long complicated process of keeping the international tennis tournament in Indian Wells. Sampras, Evert and King are part of a group of 21 investors that also includes Tennis Magazine owner George Mackin and the United States Tennis Association (USTA)."

railbird2

EOG Senior Member
That scumbag Charlie Paserall was going to whore this tourney off to China. Charlie is the biggest pos in tennis

railbird said:
That scumbag Charlie Paserall was going to whore this tourney off to China. Charlie is the biggest pos in tennis

How is your out of shape friend doing? Is gonna qually for NASDAQ?
hope so

3-2-06

3-2-06

Tennis journalist Joel Drucker writing for Tennis One on the American "B"-team: "Much as I enjoy Taylor Dent's net-rushing game, his body breaks down too much to be counted on. I'm still not sure if Blake's got enough consistent offense or if Ginepri's got the mental fortitude to win events like Indian Wells and repeatedly go deep in Slams the way Roddick has for five years -- or Agassi has for more than 15."...The ITF announced three of the four official surfaces for the Davis Cup quarterfinals with the U.S. hosting Chile on grass, France hosting Russia on carpet, and Australia hosting Belarus on Rebound Ace. Croatia has been given an extension to confirm their venue and site for hosting Argentina...WTA Doha tournament organizers announced the woman who wins the title will receive a new Harley Davidson motorcycle in addition to the champion's check and title trophy, reports Tennis Week: "The motorcycle will be gifted by the Nasser bin Khalid Group (NBK), the exclusive dealers for Mercedes in Qatar," Sheikh Mohammed bin Faleh al-Thani, the president of the Qatar Tennis Federation, said. "The motorcycle will be a token of appreciation to the champion's efforts."...Tennis Week with more on the shake-ups at IMG: "Since buying IMG in September of 2004 for a reported $750 million, charismatic financier Ted Forstmann has been busy changing the corporate landscape of the world's largest sports management agency. IMG's Cleveland headquarters have been nearly gutted of founder Mark McCormack's most trusted executives. Perhaps the most surprising personnel change was the recent resignation of longtime exec Peter Johnson, who resigned his position as IMG CEO of sports and entertainment in January, just a few months after being promoted to the post. Forstmann, who took over as IMG CEO, has hired former NASCAR executive George Pyne as IMG's president of sports and entertainment. The 56-year-old Johnson's departure was followed by the resignation of his wife, Stephanie Tolleson, who served as senior corporate vice president at IMG and headed the company's tennis division. "I didn't ask [Johnson] to resign," Forstmann told The SportsBusiness Journal. "I have been anxious that Peter Johnson, that he and I, find an appropriate role. I have been and continue to be very desirous of Peter Johnson playing an appropriate role in the company I am trying to build. But Peter Johnson's life is his. He has his own decisions [to make]." Chuck Bennett, who helped turn around IMG's model division around as the company's head of fashion, has been named the interim leader of IMG's tennis division."...46-year-old American wheelchair tennis player David Buck, who smokes pot as a medicinal treatment for arthritis pain, has been suspended for three and a half months after testing positive for the drug by the ITF...There will apparently be no fine for Andy Roddick citing fatigue in pulling from the ATP stop in Las Vegas as, according to ATP rules, players can miss one International Series event and one International Series Gold event citing illness, and two Masters Series events citing a malady during the year...Lleyton Hewitt says he will play for Australia next month vs. Belarus in the Davis Cup...As part of their deal with sponsor Panasonic, The Tennis Channel Open is being shown on the big screen in Times Square, New York City this week.

3-4-06

3-4-06

Lleyton Hewitt
on Davis Cup: "It was never a matter that I was not going to play, it was just getting my body ready and feeling well."...Xavier Malisse on retiring from his quarterfinal match with Paul Goldstein in Las Vegas, down a set and a break: "It's just a little pain in the Achilles, but you know it's tough to play when you are not 100 percent and you know I don't know exactly what it is, I got up with it this morning and now it doesn't feel good right now but, you know, I gotta look for it and look at Indian Wells and Miami, the bigger ones and try to get set for there. It always feels bad to give up but you know it's just how it is. Also it was cold, so it didn't heat up very much, so it definitely had to do with it I think but you know it was hurting this morning, so it's just tough to get away today."...From Leighton Ginn writing for The Desert Sun: "Tennis Hall of Famer Pete Sampras said the main reason he invested in the Pacific Life Open was the work of George Mackin, the co-owner of Tennis Magazine, which counts Sampras as an investor. It was also a sentimental decision for Sampras, who owns a home in Palm Desert's Bighorn. "It's a great event, I missed playing there," Sampras said Tuesday. "I remember I was out there with my son playing a little tennis on the site. We were walking around the stadium and I missed it. I missed playing there. I had some good times and I had some tough times, but I always looked forward to being in the desert." Sampras, along with fellow tennis superstars Billie Jean King and Chris Evert, has become one of the headliners of a new investment group that helped rescue the Pacific Life Open from financial problems, all but securing its future in the Coachella Valley. "It's nice to see players invest in the game," said Palm Desert resident Rosie Casals, a Hall of Fame tennis player who was King's doubles partner and is good friends with Evert. "I'd like to see the younger generation do that."...James Blake has been broken once in three matches in Las Vegas this week, saving 13 of 14 break points...Various ATP Swedes are pissed off over the eye injury to Thomas Johansson that resulted from a not-so-smart accident at the hands of Croatia's Mario "Baby Goran" Ancic...The Tennis Channel will show the ATP Dubai final live at 10 a.m. (EST) Saturday...Italian Rita Grande has announced her retirement from tennis, pregnant and expecting a child in July...From Tennis Week: Former Pacific Life Open Champions Martina Hingis and Mark Philippoussis have been awarded wild cards into the Indian Wells event. The pair headline a group of wild cards that includes No. 1 ranked ITF Junior Donald Young, 2000 Olympic silver medallist Mardy Fish and 2003 Junior Player of the Year Alexis Glatch. Other wildcard recipients include Sam Warburg, Sam Querrey, Brenda Shultz McCarthy, Alexandra Stevenson, Anna Tatishvili, Ashley Harkleroad, Vania King, Shenay Perry, and one other female player to be named later. This year the Pacific Life Open will hold a pre-qualifier to determine a male and female qualifying draw wildcard. Three local female teenagers, Coco Vandeweghe (Rancho Santa Fe), Pam Montez (La Quinta) and Brittany Blalock (Palm Desert) will compete for a spot in the women's qualifying draw. On the men's side, AJ Bartlett, Jeff Salzenstein, Wayne Odesnik and Sargis Sargsian will compete on Sunday at noon and the finals will be held on Monday (time will be set on Sunday evening when the schedule of Play for Monday is completed) to determine who will receive the spot in the men's qualifying draw...Leander Paes speaking with Gulf News on the doubles changes: "I didn't understand the motive behind the rule changes. But now I have and I fully support and endorse these changes brought in by Etienne (de Villiers). I am a convinced man now. Being critical of the rule changes was my first reaction. Eight weeks into the season and I have a different opinion today. I have spent more than two decades in the sport and I have seen how the doubles revolution has conjured up attention among the public and media and bought in the sponsorships. For sure, more than 40 per cent of the doubles matches are now being played on centre court. We are getting good publicity as we see the Etienne vision for the doubles unfold before us. Etienne is a smart man. His vision for the game is right. I change my stand."...The New India Press on U.S. President George Bush sucking up to India's citizenry: "The burgeoning fan list of Sania Mirza has a new entry---US President George W. Bush. He confessed his admiration towards the rising Indian tennis star to a gathering of the cream of Indian society. "I visited Hyderabad, the city of Sania Mirza," said Bush inviting loud cheers from the audience at the historic Purana Qila." -- Oh please, Bush couldn't tell Sania Mirza from Amy Frazier.

3-5-06

3-5-06

From the ATP: "Before taking the courts at the first ATP Masters Series event of 2006, James Blake, Bob and Mike Bryan and Tim Henman will make a stop at the annual celebrity tennis and golf event benefiting the Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation. Held March 7-8th at the La Quinta Resort & Club in California, the circuit's stars will join Pete Sampras, Maria Sharapova and various celebrities for a packed schedule that includes a pro-am tennis tournament, tennis exhibition, celebrity-amateur golf tournament, cocktail party, silent and live auctions, and gala dinner. Oscar winner Joe Pesci will serve as host of the golf tournament on day two of The Desert Smash. The Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation helps fund support programs for brain tumor patients and their families to assist with their physical, emotional and social challenges."...David Nalbandian will make his return from an abdominal injury next week at Indian Wells. Meanwhile the Argentine has launched the "Tango Rally Team," a competitive racing squad he shares with driver Marcos Ligato. The rally team, which features Mitsubishi vehicles and the best Argentine drivers in Ligato and Gabriel Pozzo, will partake in the World Championships. "It is a dream come true, because, with all the people who accompany us, we see that little by little we get to achieve what we had planned," said Nalbandian who won't race himself. "My priority is tennis, but I will be very close to the team."...How much bank did ATP Dubai officials toss the broke Bjorn Borg to attend the final and perform the pre-match coin toss?...Andy Murray speaking with Scotland on Sunday on using his racquet tossing to fire himself up: "I did that against (Robin) Soderling in San Jose. When I started the first set, I was quite slow, I was a little bit lazy with my feet. Once I got a little bit annoyed, I threw my racket a couple of times, and I started to play much better. So, I can still use it when I need to."...Lleyton Hewitt on Paul McNamee stepping down as the Australian Open tournament director: "He wants to head in another direction I guess. This is a big decision for the national tournament. I don't think Paul saw eye-to-eye with a lot of people."...Lleyton Hewitt has lost his last three ATP finals...From The Guardian: "So why is a man who enjoyed such phenomenal success as (Bjorn) Borg having to sell off the family silver? "He was taken for a big ride," said Richard Evans, the tennis writer and (John) McEnroe's biographer. Evans recalled seeing Borg with some of his then business associates in Monte Carlo when everyone was drinking his champagne before flying first-class for a week in Japan. "He was much too trusting. He made bad choices which led to bad luck. Most tennis players of his ilk, with the exception of Roscoe Tanner who is now in jail, have gone on to become very successful millionaires." Borg is unusual for someone who was so successful at tennis not to have made a lasting fortune. His successors playing the game now are also able to cash in on sponsorship deals and prize money of which even someone as successful as Borg could not have dreamed. "He's not a stupid guy at all," said Evans. "He's intelligent and amusing and I have to say I'm surprised that he's having to [auction his trophies.] But he's living in Stockholm and in Sweden you get taxed out of existence so I suppose that may be the reason."...Rafael Nadal on Roger Federer and crying after winning the Dubai title: "We have a good relationship. He is an unbelievable person. For me he is the best sportsman in the world, I admire him a lot. That I can win against the best player in the world, against one of the best players in history, is important and very special to me. I was crying a little bit. But that's normal. I had some difficult moment in the last three months. I was crying a lot of times in the last three months. This win is very special for me and I'm very happy. You can't control you emotions."...Roger Federer: "Losing in finals is the worst, I prefer to lose in the first round to be honest. I've won so many finals and probably I've had my luck in the last couple of years. Dubai has been great to me, I've won here three times in a row. It could have been a fourth but I'm not too disappointed after all. I'm pretty much pleased though with my performance and I now look forward to the hardcourts in America."...Win or lose in the Las Vegas final, James Blake will reach a career-high singles ranking in the Top 20 from his current No. 21...James Blake has saved 16 of 17 break points this week at the ATP stop in Vegas, says the ATP's Greg "The Remorseless Eating Machine" Sharko...Tennis Channel CEO Steve Bellamy: "The Tennis Channel has pushed ESPN to show more tennis all around."...From the Sport Telegraph: "An old business associate is planning to sue Bjorn Borg for around 1 million next month, it emerged yesterday, a legal fight which may partly explain the Swede's decision to sell his five Wimbledon replica trophies and two of his championship-winning rackets to achieve "financial security."...Only Rafael Nadal (3-1) and David Nalbandian (6-4) hold winning records against Roger Federer with two or more matches played.

3-6-06

3-6-06

This week's Indian Wells event will begin on Wednesday for the women and Friday for the men...French teen Gael Monfils is waiting for the debut of his World Paddle Tennis Ranking after sweeping to the title Sunday at the Paddle Tennis Championships at The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas, defeating Daryl Lemon in the final 7-5, 7-6(5) for his first title in his first paddle tennis tournament. Monfils edged Lemon for the championship in front of a raucous supporting crowd out on Court 16, earning $4,800 for his effort...How odd was that plate-smashing ceremony after Tennis Channel President Steve Bellamy was presented as "Person of the Year" by Tennisnews.com? Not a tradition tournament directors are looking forward to, with smashed plate all over the court before the doubles final...From Charlie Bricker of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "The instant replay era in tennis begins March 22 on Key Biscayne at the Nasdaq-100 Open with a challenge system, not unlike the referee review found in the NFL, and it is being hailed as the most important change in the game since institution of the tiebreak 35 years ago. "Historically this is a very significant development," said Larry Scott, chief executive officer of the WTA Tour. "We've had some very high-profile matches where momentum has turned based on calls. Now the players know the calls will be right." Scott and executives from three other major tennis organizations -- the ATP Tour, the USTA and Nasdaq -- will hold a joint news conference on Monday to announce details of the electronic line-calling system."...Tennis Channel President Steve Bellamy's wife Beth won the women's singles, teamed with Anna Shirley to win the women's doubles, and won the mixed with Scott Freedman, the No. 1-ranked player in the world in paddle tennis on Sunday in Vegas...Alicia Molik and her partner are in last place in Australia's version of "Dancing with the Stars."...Indian Wells will be the first time the Top 5 players are competing together this year on the ATP tour.

<!--StartFragment -->From the ATP/WTA: "The 2006 US Open will be the first Grand Slam to introduce instant replay technology and player challenges. The NASDAQ-100 Open (Miami) will be the first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and ATP event to utilize the technology and on-court challenges. The NASDAQ-100 Open begins on March 22. The on-court player challenge system for review of line calls will be as follows:

-- Each player will receive two challenges per set to review line calls.
-- If the player is correct with a challenge, then the player retains the same number of challenges.
-- If the player is incorrect with a challenge, then one of the challenges is lost.
-- During a tie-break game in any set, each player will receive one additional challenge.
-- Challenges may not be carried over from one set to another.

Once a player challenges, the official replay will be provided to the chair umpire. In addition, the official replay will be provided simultaneously to the television broadcast and in-stadium video boards, allowing on-site fans and television viewers the opportunity to see the live results of a player challenge."

3-7-06

3-7-06

At Indian Wells this week on the women's side, (1) Lindsay Davenport vs. (19) Martina Hingis is virtually the lone high-powered potential meeting before the quarterfinals, so wake us during week two. No-shows in IW this week are 10 of the Top 15 players in defending champ and world No. 1 Kim Clijsters, No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo, No. 6 Mary Pierce, No. 7 Nadia Petrova, No. 9 Patty Schnyder, No. 10 Venus Williams, No. 11 Francesca Schiavone, No. 13 Svetlana Kuznetsova, No. 14 Nicole Vaidisova, and No. 15 Daniela Hantuchova. Oops, someone forgot to send out the e-mail to the players that Indian Wells is important...2006 comeback kid Martina Hingis won Indian Wells in 1998 (d. Lindsay Davenport) and was runner-up in 2000 (l. to Davenport) and 2002 (l. to Daniela Hantuchova)...Arlen Kantarian, Chief Executive, Professional Tennis, USTA and the make-things-happen guy in tennis on the new electronic line-calling and challenge replay to be implemented at the ATP/WTA stop in Miami and at the US Open: "With the speed and power of today?s game, the time has come for tennis to benefit from new technology -- while adding to the fan experience. This new breakthrough -- perhaps the most significant change to the game since the tiebreaker -- will improve line calls for players, while adding excitement and intrigue for fans and TV viewers. This new protocol was developed in partnership with our friends at the ATP and the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, and we look forward to a consistent system that will benefit the entire sport."...Jim Courier's InsideOut Sports & Entertainment announced that Outback Steakhouse has signed a three-year deal to become the title sponsor of the Champions Cup Series tennis circuit through 2008. The Champions Cup Series, which begins this Friday in Naples, Fla., will become known as The Outback Champions Series...Peter Bodo writing for TennisWorld: "My second reaction was to feel vindicated for what I wrote the last time these two men played, way back last June, when Nadal wrestled The Mighty Fed down on the red clay of Roland Garros (see my posts "X's, O's" and "Roger Who?"). My position is now official. Federer is scared of, and intimidated by, Nadal. From what I've gathered from Steve and some other TennisWorld regulars, TMF was shanking forehands and looking to get off the court by the late stages of the match the other day. It's hardly surprising, my overall impression back in Paris was that Federer didn't even want to play. Not really."...According to Tennis Week, "With the permission of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and the ATP, ESPN2 plans to: Place wireless microphones on players and coaches during matches with their permission for audio to be used during replays; Present video from practice sessions that utilizes similar microphones; Use enhanced access for hand-held, on-court cameras; Pursue interviews with players and officials to better address storylines using greater access to the players' lounge and locker room areas."...SI.com's Jon Wertheim: "Predictably, every news agency picked up the oh-the-irony story about the wheelchair tennis player who got clipped for "doping." Lost in the fine print: The positive test was triggered by a drug in the player's asthma medication; and "the tribunal found no intent to enhance performance." Rules are rules, and if the player needs to serve a suspension, so be it. But -- other than embarrassing the poor guy and turning wheelchair tennis into monologue fodder -- what good is possibly served by the ITF publicizing this result?"...Martina Hingis says she came back to pro tennis to win the French: "I truly hope that I will be in Paris to win," Hingis told L'Equipe. "Returning to Roland Garros to try to win the only Grand Slam title that I am missing was one of the principal motivations for my comeback."...Bjorg Borg says he's not selling his Wimbledon trophies because he's broke, but because, err, somebody might, you know, want to have them: "It's ridiculous to hear I'm selling the trophies because I need to survive, or to save my family. I can't understand why people can think I'm broke; the business is going well and there are new shops opening all the time. I have won so much and so many trophies. I can't keep track of everything. I thought the trophies and rackets might be something that someone might want to have. Wimbledon is the biggest thing you can win as a player, but I have got so many films and other things I can use to jog my memory. But if no one wants the trophies and the rackets, I will just take them back. I am thinking about giving the money from the sale to charity."...Lleyton Hewitt will be one player happy to see the replay challenge in finals after officials missed a hard-struck forehand by James Blake that was way out in the Las Vegas final, and would have made Blake serve for the match (again) at 5-4.

3-8-06

3-8-06

Mirza Unafraid of Israel Pairing; Chang to Compete in Seniors

<SMALL>Posted on March 08, 2006</SMALL>

Is AndyRoddick.com bailing on their boy?: "By the time that the U.S. faces off against Chile in the Davis Cup quarterfinals in early April, James Blake might crack the top 10 and be pushing his good buddy Andy Roddick for the top American ranking. From the looks of both men over the past seven months, and in particular during the United States' 4-1 win over Romania in Davis Cup first-round play, Blake is a more confident, all-around player than Roddick is now." -- Will visitors soon be redirected to JamesBlake.com?...Michael Chang on competing this weekend at the Champions senior tour in Naples, FL: "To be honest with you, I don't really know quite what to expect. I do know that the intensity and competitiveness will not have changed. I still expect a high quality level of tennis, considering that all of the players in the tournament are champions and have accomplished a lot throughout their careers. Most of them will probably get into the Hall of Fame or come close to it."
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=255 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=3 height=1> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff height=21> </TD><TD align=left width=100 bgColor=#ffffff height=20><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- google_ad_client = 'pub-0831061926577484'; google_ad_width = 250; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = '250x250_as'; google_ad_type = 'text'; google_ad_channel ='6477197014'; google_color_border = 'FFFFFF'; google_color_bg = 'FFFFFF'; google_color_link = '000000'; google_color_url = '999999'; google_color_text = '000000'; //--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff height=21> </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=3 height=1> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Brit Jeremy Bates says Andy Murray will walk round with an "L" on his forehead from British fans if he can't eventually win Wimbledon: "Unfortunately tennis in this country has a stigma attached to it where you have to win Wimbledon to be successful and there is no getting away from it because you always hear people asking when Tim Henman is going to win something. So I am sure if Andy Murray doesn't win Wimbledon people will start getting on his case. Look at golf, for example, Lee Westwood could be walking down the fairway on the 18th hole and the commentator will say he has had a fantastic year with three top 10 finishes. Colin Montgomerie has not won a major, but is an unbelievable golfer who has led the Ryder Cup team to victory and therefore he is not seen to be a failure. Tim Henman, on the other hand, has had a top four finish at Wimbledon five times and is viewed as a failure because people think he hasn't won anything. Why that happens in tennis and not in other sports I do not know."...30-year-old Jiri Novak, who has not played an event since Sept. 2005, says he is thinking of hanging it up with an ankle injury that won't heal: "Unfortunately I must think about it (retirement)," Novak told the Czech news agency CTK. "At my age, time is getting on. When you do nothing for a few months, a comeback becomes practically impossible. I unfortunately have the feeling (physical therapy) is not helping much."...Justin Gimelstob blogging for SI.com on practicing with Pete Sampras: "When my phone rang last week, there was a familiar voice on the other end. That old sarcastic, condescending tone instantly revealed the identity of the great Pete Sampras. After catching up, he invited me to come and practice with him...Here's a newsflash: He's still awesome, not so much in consistency, but in his shot-making ability. His cross-court forehand was automatic. His timing on his backhand was off -- as is to be expected, since it was always his weakest shot -- and he was definitely a step slower (which, incidentally, still leaves him a step faster than me). But his serve was as fluid as ever and his volleys were crisp. I always thought Sampras was the hardest volleyer I ever played against, and I instantly remembered why when he came to the net. What amazed me the most about our workout was that everything still seemed as effortless and explosive as ever, almost like he took some old tools out of the shed, polished them off and they were right there again. Unfortunately for the tennis world, Sampras has no interest in competing on tour ever again. His participation will be limited to exhibitions and special events, even though I'm fully convinced he could still challenge the best in the game."...Polo Ralph Lauren has been designated the exclusive outfitter of Wimbledon through 2010...The polite and soft-spoken Max "The Beast" Mirnyi isn't one to throw smack, so this is about as close as it gets if you read the undertones on Belarus playing Australia in Davis Cup: "It would be more meaningful to us if we were to win the tie with Lleyton (Hewitt) being there."...From CSTV U-WIRE: "Freshman Ryan Sweeting, UF's (University of Florida) top men's tennis player, has been suspended from the team indefinitely after being arrested for DUI and drug and alcohol possession early Thursday morning. Sweeting, 18, was charged with a third-degree felony for possessing the drug Adderall without a prescription. He was also charged with DUI and the possession of alcohol by a person under the age of 21, both misdemeanors, according to a University Police Department report. According to the report, Sweeting's blood-alcohol level was between .133 and .122. He was arrested at about 2 a.m. Thursday and held overnight at the Alachua County Jail. He was released late Thursday morning. "I'm taking full responsibility for my actions," Sweeting said Sunday. "I realize what I did reflected on the school, my teammates and my coaches. I want to do whatever it takes to remain a Gator." -- Good going kid, win the US Open juniors then enroll at a party school and f-up the career...35-year-old Brenda Schultz-McCarthy received a wildcard at IW because...?...From Agence France-Presse: "Despite missing the world's top two players, the (Indian Wells' women's) field still is loaded with talent." Talk about the gloss-over, IW is missing 10 of the Top 15 women...From Matt Cronin in Indian Wells: "India's Sania Mirza is hoping to renew her doubles partnership with Israel's Shahar Peer despite protests from some Muslim and Jewish groups. Mirza, whose poor recent form has seen her slip from a career-high ranking of 31 at the end of 2005 to 45th, said she would have played with Peer at this week's Pacific Life Open, but the Israeli player had already booked a partner. "You shouldn't mix up sports with anything else," the 19-year-old told Reuters at the March 8-19 tournament in Indian Wells. "If I had to follow the stereotype of what a woman athlete should be in India, then I wouldn't be playing tennis because there aren't many girls who pick up rackets when they are six. If you believe it's right, if your loved ones believe it's right, then it's right." Mirza and Peer united for the first time when they reached the quarterfinals of the event in Bangkok last October, but their partnership was met with anger by some religious groups."

3-9-06

3-9-06

Marat Safin
speaking with the Orange County Register on the electronic replay: "I am totally against it. I think it will destroy the game. It will slow it down, lose the momentum and the motion of the game. Who was this genius who came up with this stupid idea? Who approved it? They are looking for solutions on how to save the game, and this is not it. It is bull. This definitely is not the way to help the game."...From the ATP/WTA: "A hot Miami night will be the setting as the stars of professional tennis gather to honor the best of 2005 while sampling Miami's finest cuisine on March 21. The second annual "Stars for Stars" event at the prestigious Four Seasons Hotel Miami will take on a new flavor in 2006 as it combines the Official Awards Party for Professional Tennis with a sampling of the finest gourmet treats that Miami's greatest chefs have to offer. The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and ATP will honor the best achievements of 2005 during the evening, with awards including Player of the Year, Doubles Team of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year and the Humanitarian Awards."...Jerry Magee of the San Diego Union-Tribune on the women's draw at Indian Wells: "A tournament handing out 32 (byes) has to be welcomed by the top seeds, who thus are spared having to oppose players of demonstrated quality in an opening round. Nobody, it seems, thinks of the spectators. Would you thrill to a program on which the most compelling match could be one between Karolina Sprem and Shinobu Asagoe? (Elena) Dementieva might have one of the least rigorous draws ever in a tournament of this one's standing. She could go through to the quarterfinals without having to engage other than qualifiers or "lucky losers."...Kim Clijsters, who is skipping the WTA Tour Tier I stop in Indian Wells this week, will lose the No. 1 ranking after the tournament to Amelie Mauresmo, who is also skipping the event...From Eurosport: "TOUGH DRAW FOR BAGHDATIS, HENMAN...Henman must first get past world junior number one, American Donald Young." -- Yes, tough draw, because everyone fears the scrawny 5'9" junior champ who is 0-7 in tour-level matches, and 0-7 career for titles at Futures events. Keep throwing this kid in tour draws -- nice development strategy, this kid's handlers need to get canned...Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis, Maria Sharapova, Bob and Mike Bryan, James Blake and Mardy Fish took part in an exhibition yesterday at La Quinta Resort and Club, the benefit for the Tim and Tom Gullikson Foundation, which funds programs that support brain tumor patients and their families...From CBSSportsline.com: "Former tennis star Gabriela Sabatini received an award Wednesday for promoting the role of women in sport. The Argentine, a winner of 27 singles titles including the 1990 US Open, was recognized by the International Olympic Committee in a ceremony at the U.N. labor agency. She was awarded the Women and Sport trophy for "her work to promote and develop tennis in her country, among youngsters and particularly girls," the IOC said. It cited Sabatini's funding of programs and tournaments for children in Argentina...SI.com's Jon Wertheim on Bjorn Borg's apparent financial troubles: "This isn't exactly a great testimonial for his management team or for IMG. Agents are quick to let you know when they've set their clients up for life. Yes, people make choices and agents can't be on call 24/7 to make sure clients are spending their money on deferred annuities and tax-free bonds. But there ought be some accountability for a narrative like this." Also from Jon on getting slambonied: "Reader B. Gilbert of San Rafael, Calif., took issue with our riff on why a reunion between Roddick and his former coach is unlikely. Just to be clear, we never meant to imply that Gilbert has ever been anything less than professional discussing Roddick on the air. It's simply that we had heard that some of his comments were not well-received by the Roddick camp."...The South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Charlie "The Brick" Bricker hitting the blog: "It was good to hear Pete Sampras wants finally to get back on court and will play World Team Tennis this year. Hopefully, this is merely a stepping stone back into some real tournament play on the Jim Courier-backed Champions Tour. I spoke with Courier on Tuesday and, while Sampras has discussed the tour with Courier and shown interest in playing Courier, Todd Martin, Michael Chang, Petr Korda and others of his generation, there's no commitment there. Yet. My sense is that Sampras is testing the water with the WTT, in which he has only to play one set of singles per team match. If it feels good physically and emotionally, I think he could be playing more serious tennis by the end of this year."...The Russians are bailing under the pressure of facing the strongest Fed Cup team in the competition in Belgium's Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, with Maria Sharapova now saying she can't make the transition from hardcourt to clay, and Anastasia Myskina saying she is out of the competition for the year. Can Elena Dementieva and Nadia Petrova carry the load? Doubtful. Pretty weak from the country that has dominated the competition, Russian federation officials can't be too happy...Can new coach Jose Higueras stop Guillermo Coria's slide?...Mardy Fish has to play the qualifying in Miami according to the Miami Herald?...John McEnroe on playing some slam doubles this year: "It's hard to be in a booth five hours, step out of the booth and be on the court in 20 minutes. I feel like I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to get into the commentating, and I want to do that right and correctly, and I'm not sure I have enough in the tank, so to speak, to do both."