My BEST EVER win

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
April 20, 2003

My worst-ever bad beat happened almost a year later on 04/04/04 with the Kings against San Jose – something I wrote about earlier. On this day I had my best-ever WIN. Only fitting it happened on my birthday.

Back then I had a “local” guy since offshore books were not easy to get an account at. Monday was “settle up” day. If my account was UP or DOWN $500 – time to settle up: Get paid or pay. Going into the Sunday I was down over $1000. I didn’t have access to that much money. Why did I go that deep into the hole? Great question – I have no answer.

On this day I played a 2-teamer to try and make a miracle comeback: The Lakers on the ML and Tampa Bay in the NHL Playoffs. I bet enough so if it hit, not only am I no longer down for the week – I am UP!

Lakers were around a +2 dog against Minnesota. They won by 19 – the game was never in doubt. A rocking chair winner.

As for the hockey game – not a rocking chair winner. Not even close. It was scoreless after 20 minutes. Caps scored late in 2P to go up 1-0. They are still up 1-0 with under 5 to play when the Caps get called for a penalty. The game is on ABC, and I am intently watching. I know if Tampa fails to score here, I might be in trouble. Thankfully, they scored about 30 seconds into the PP.

I will never forget watching in my parents’ room. I am too afraid to move, for fear it might bring bad “JuJu” to the game – one played in Washington, DC.

First OT – NOTHING! Ditto for Second OT, By now I am (figuratively) dying. I reallllllllllly neeeeeeeed Tampa to win. Third OT comes and Caps get called for “Too Many Men on the Ice.” OK – HERE is my chance. I could really use a Tampa PPG! Tampa has the puck in the Caps’ end. The puck ends up on the stick of Martin St. Louis who somehow puts one past Caps goalie Olaf Kolzig. Tampa won the game AND series.

When it happened, I EXPLODED! HOLLLLLLLLLY BLEEP! I JUST WON! I screamed as loud as I could in celebration. I will never forget my father telling me to keep quiet and not make so much noise. “OK, Dad – you got it!” He had NO CLUE why I reacted the way I did, and still doesn’t. I have no idea what happens if the Caps score and I lose the parlay and fall deeper in the hole. I slept very well that night, unlike the night before.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Wink, are you still helping Nover with hockey?

Not so much. Having to spend most of my day looking after my parents I have done very little. Thursday I did say I liked both the Ducks and Hawks getting +300 or more - he only went with the Kings. But almost none this season