Is it ethical for Forum Moderators to

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Participate/win in cash contests given by Books on their own website/forum where they are employed?

I don't believe so .... thats why no Mods/employees at EOG do so.

I am in the Pick3 at BetJM but it is stated in the rules that I cannot win any prizes.

Glaken

Johnny Handsome

EOG Enthusiast
Absolutely it is ethical. Do they possess some kind of unfair advantage just because they are employees? I don't think so. So what if they win a few hundered dollars here and there in contests. We are not talking about life changing amounts.

Depends, only as a last resort when spots in a post-up contest need to be filled in time. But NO for freebies give the posters a shot.

I just don't think people should grade a contest where they have editorial priviledges and also be able to win prizes....

This was decided and agreed upon by all employees at EOG from day 1.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
what difference does it make the MODS at the main sites are all non factors in the contests anyway!!!

:+signs9-1 :+signs9-1 :+signs9-1

trytrytry said:
what difference does it make the MODS at the main sites are all non factors in the contests anyway!!!

:+signs9-1 :+signs9-1 :+signs9-1

You are so right in my instance .... I always come in the bottom percentile reguardless of how I start out ... so for me its a time saver not to play. :D

Stevo13

EOG Member
No they should not IMO. No Mod should be playing in any cash contests on their own site. Even if its run by another Mod.

I don't think thats what the books have in mind when they free up some cash for contests.

JMO. Some obviously dont feel that way. Nice to see that attitude here.

Shout out to Ironlock:+waving-5

Stevo13

EOG Member
Yes Sam:+signs11-

Shout out to you too.:+thumbs-2

Hey Glaken. How are you? You know me. I don't post around the forums much but am a constant reader of a few forums.
Good luck on the gig here and I always liked Ironlock.:D

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Stevo, BB playoffs coming soon to a Bookie close to you:+thumbs-2 We made some money a couple years ago @ MW

world traveler

EOG Addicted
to aire on the side of caution i would agree that those who are involved should not join in to win the prize. If there is one thing the gambling world is not short of is sore loosers who will try anything to win. Why expose yourself to that kind if garbage when it really is not needed.

WT

Whoa.... Steve? as in Steve...

What up?!!

Back to the issue at hand...

So long as a Moderator does not have System Administrator rights there is no concern.

Simply make a rule that no edits are permitted or the post is void and have the site default set to timestamp edits.

That is the control over a Moderator editing after the fact.

Grading is easy. Do you think everyone will just take a Moderators word as to who won?

The other contestants are the control against "math errors".

Yes, it is ethical.

While rules are wonderful PR the bottom line and the crux of the issue is one of trust.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
In response, trust should be given until proven otherwise in this circumstance. I actually could care less if the mods here wanted to play for pay. If caught cheating, then it is an obvious decision as to employment.

Common sense should dictate they should not be allowed to enter contests at there own site. It being ethical or not is not the point.

jwunderdog

EOG Addicted
Don't think it is an ethical question unless the book sponsoring the contest has a problem with it.If a mod cheats to win a $1000 contest then you have an ethic's question(although not a very hard one)? my guess is they will no longer be a mod.:hung

If they are still a mod. then I question the ethics of the site.:+clueless