Georgia Tech Football Information Thread for the Upcoming NCAA Football Season

dirty

EOG Master
Going to do the same here as in the UGA thread....

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Tech's Nix calls the shots
He's ready to take over play-calling for Gailey

By MATT WINKELJOHN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/29/06
Patrick Nix carried the title of offensive coordinator the past two seasons at Georgia Tech, but other than calling plays as the team was in hurry-up mode, the offense belonged to head coach Chan Gailey. This season, all play-calling duties will be handled by Nix, who's in his fifth season at Tech. In an interview with The Journal-Constitution, Nix said he feels more empowered now.
Q: Has the fact you'll be calling plays changed the way you go about your job?
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->
A: Yeah, without a doubt. In the past, it was [Gailey's] offense, and his decisions. Any change that I wanted to make didn't necessarily mean it was going to be made. You definitely had to pitch through him. Now, you watch opponents coming up or what you did during the spring [on tape], and if you want to make changes or tweak things, then you have the liberty to do that.
Q: Do you need his approval to make philosophical changes?
A: He doesn't even know. ... I know what he wants as far as general principles ... and he knows what I think and believe. I think that's where it ends. He doesn't want to know the day-to-day type stuff. If he wanted to know that, he'd still be the coordinator. He wants me to handle it; move the ball and score points, and find ways to win is the bottom line.
Q: Give me a couple examples of general principles of football that he wants you to keep in mind.
A: Don't get yourself beat. I think a lot of football games are lost instead of won. We want to be in the mindset of not losing the game, but at the same time have the ability to win them, too. There's a fine line there with that. We're not going to be afraid to take our chances, but at the same time, we have to be very smart when we're taking those.
Q: Do you have a different comfort zone now?
A:
It's probably more challenging now because you know when you go in it's your decisions, and you're the one putting it together. In the past, you could make suggestions and sometimes they stuck and sometimes they didn't, but now they're decisions. [Gailey] says it all the time: As an assistant coach, you always have suggestions, and as a head coach you have decisions. There's a big difference. It's the same way with a coordinator. It sort of changes your mindset in what you're doing because now when you decide to do something, you're doing it. You're not just suggesting it. You know you can't just go in there and throw something against the wall ... you'd better be sure.
Q: Did you tell Chan that you wanted to call plays?
A:
He knew that when he hired me. This will be the fourth team I've called plays for. I think he knew from day one I'd like to, but obviously he didn't know me real well and I didn't know him real well.
Q: What does he do with his extra time?
A:
I have no idea. I know he's always busy. He's never in our meetings. We joke about it all the time; there are plenty of fires to put out. A lot of times, we don't want to know all the fires he has to put out, and he doesn't necessarily want to know what we're doing in our meetings, either. He's going to let us go. He's going to run the Georgia Tech football program, and let us run the offense. There's always somebody in his office. Looking back now, it's sort of amazing that he was able to do it all.
Q: When the offense struggles, a lot of the criticism will come your way now. You may be ready for that, but have you let your wife [Krista] know it may be different?
A:
We were married when I played, and that's the way it was when I played. You throw an incompletion at Auburn, you're second-guessed. It doesn't matter if you're at Samford, or Henderson State or Georgia Tech, it's going to happen. Our rule has been over the last 15-plus years, we don't read newspapers [or] listen to the radio. ... We might watch ESPN if it's not going to be something about Georgia Tech. We're sort of oblivious to what's going on. I'm not very worried about her at all. She's been there and done that. My mother, having been the wife of a coach for 39 years, has trained herself. The ones I worry about are my 8-, 6- and 3-year olds.
Q: What do you mean?
A:
It's unfortunate, but everybody probably does think we're overpaid and everything else. ... It's unfortunate that a lot of times the kids take the brunt of things. People forget that we're human, and that we have families, and kids who love us just like everybody else. Really, when they take shots at me, they're more taking shots at kids. You want to talk play-calling, that's fine, but when it gets personal, and sometimes people do cross the line. We're very guarded at our house, and that's part of the territory.
Q: Has that happened yet, where your kids have taken some heat?
A:
It's never happened. That's one great thing about living in Atlanta. I'd say 90 percent of the kids in my kids' class don't know what I do, and they don't know anything about Georgia Tech. Some of them are Ohio State fans, or this fans or that fans. If it was a small college town, it'd probably be different. Living in Atlanta probably gives us a little more shelter. It hasn't happened. It will. I know it will. My kids are very sports-oriented, and they know what's going on.
Q: Will you deal with that when it happens, or have you warned them it will?
A:
You warn them, but at the same time you deal with it when it happens. It was no different for me growing up. Yeah, it was high school football [his father Conrad Hix, still coaches at Northside Warner Robins], but still in small town everybody's got their opinion of what the coach is doing. It's not always easy. There've been many a day, and many a night when my brother and I have been very upset or very mad, and you learn a lot. If I have to go to school one day for my boy hitting somebody, that'll be part of it and we'll just deal with it. Hopefully, it'll never come to that.
Q: How much different will the offense appear to fans?
A:
The real answer is the fans that want to see a difference will see a difference, and the fans that don't want to see a difference won't see a difference. Basically, fans see what they want to. Some will be truly analytical and they'll see a little bit of both, some things that are very similar to what we did last year, and some where they go, "Wow! I hadn't seen that in four years!" The bottom line offensively is get the ball in the hands of the players who can make plays. We've got about four or five guys who can make differences in games. It's our job as coaches to find ways to get the ball in their hands.
Q: In simple language, how will the plan of attack change?
A:
You can't say that until the season starts because you ... have to do what the defense lets you do.
Q: Is the offense likely to be any more oriented toward [All-America wide receiver] Calvin Johnson than in the past?
A:
There will be times when we know we've got to get the ball in Calvin's hands. I think there will be times when you don't want to say he's a decoy, but ... they'll double-team him, and we've got other options, other good players. When push comes to shove, he's got to sort of be the center point, and they've got to go out and cover him or he's going to beat them.
Q: Is it accurate to say that for Calvin to continue developing, he has to catch the ball more over the middle?
A:
I wouldn't say there's anything he needs to do to keep developing. He's basically done any and everything we've asked him to do?
Q: Where does [quarterback] Reggie Ball stand relative to his development going into this season compared with previous summers?
A:
He definitely did not make a big leap between his freshman and sophomore seasons, which often happens. He did made a jump between his sophomore and junior seasons, did some things better. But, when you look at the offensive line being a little inexperienced, that sort of drew back what we could do. A lot of it at the quarterback position, you've got 10 other players around you and you can only go as far as those 10 players. Hopefully, those other 10 players can go farther this year and he can, too.

Q: Does he have any more input into what you're going to do offensively than in the past?
A:
No, not really. We sort of see what he's comfortable with, but at the same time, this is our system and you've got to fit into that not us fitting to you. I think it's a fine line because as a coach you have to take all the players you have and use them to their best.
Q: Do you envision using him significantly differently than in the past?
A:
We're not going to do anything differently in terms of drastic changes, or anything like that. We've gotten him out of the pocket some in the past. It goes back to what the defense will allow you to do so, hopefully, we'll give him a chance to run possibly a little bit more. But we've got some running backs who can run, too.
Q: Do you anticipate Reggie's arm being well enough that he won't be limited?
A:
Yes, he finished the spring strong.
Q: Give me a couple guys who stood out in spring practice.
A:
[Running back] Jamaal Evans had a really good spring, especially for an incoming freshman. Rashaun Grant, the other running back, did really well. And Tashard [Choice] did well. Michael Matthews, the tight end, really did some good things. Mansfield Wrotto, moving from defense to offense, was a pleasant surprise. Kevin Tuminello, our center, continues to get better and better. Probably the biggest thing overall is our offensive line just being around each other another year, four of the five. I think that was the biggest plus for us coming out of the spring, the offensive line. We've got a little bit of depth for the first time since we've been there.
Q: Any injuries that are worrisome?
A:
No ... and the good thing is we have some depth. We don't have but one Calvin, and we know that, but at every other position we've got some depth. You're not going to replace Calvin Johnson if something happened to him. That would have to be a collective unit; everybody would have to replace him.
Q: How good can the Tech offense be?
A:
Realistically, we can be 12th in the ACC in offense, but if we're winning games, it doesn't really matter. I do think we can be good enough to help our team win. We've got to help our defense out, and they've got to help us. I don't really care where we end up stat-wise. I used to care about stats, but I've learned stats are for losers. Hopefully, I'm not on the bus or the plane on the way home after a game trying to see where we were stat-wise because that probably means we didn't win and I'm probably just trying salvage something, a moral victory. I'm not real big into moral victories; I'd rather win the game. If that means we got to control the clock, the we want to control the clock. If we have to score 38 to beat 'em 38-35, who knows?

<!--endtext--><!-- // END OF CONTENT // --><!--endclickprintinclude-->

dirty

EOG Master
GEORGIA TECH
Texas WR commits to Jackets

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 06/28/06 Tyler Melton has lived close to half the ACC's schools, none of them Georgia Tech, but he plans to catch passes for the Yellow Jackets.
The 6-foot-1, 185-pound wide receiver, who caught 70 passes for 970 yards and 15 touchdowns as a junior last season for Houston's Langham Creek High, made a verbal commitment to coach Chan Gailey and the Jackets. He said Tuesday he is in summer school so he can graduate early and
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->enroll next winter at Tech.
"I kind of came onto Georgia Tech late. I sent them a highlight tape in April, and they called me from that," Melton said. "I saw them on TV a couple years ago, saw Calvin Johnson.
"I used to be a UNC fan; I grew up in Raleigh [not far from N.C. State, North Carolina, Duke and Wake Forest] until I was about 7 or 8, and then moved to Virginia, and then to Texas four years ago. I was a Virginia Tech fan, too."
Melton said Rice, Air Force, Texas Tech and Louisiana Tech also recruited him heavily. But soon after participating in Tech's one-day camp June 10, he chose the Jackets.
"I really liked their camp and all the coaches. I saw all their facilities, and liked them," said Melton, who also plays basketball and runs track. "I think it will really fit me."

dirty

EOG Master
Preseason Football Buzz
Johnson is preseason magazine cover boy. <!-- remove this block --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write('<SCR');document.write('IPT SRC="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=promo/adsize=x/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=promo66/pos=promo66/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235128/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022351?">');document.write('</SCR');document.write('IPT>');// End Hide --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=promo/adsize=x/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=promo66/pos=promo66/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235128/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022351?"></SCRIPT><!-- location is richmedia, blank --><!-- end block -->
June 26, 2006
Georgia Tech's season-opening football game is still more than two months away, but there's plenty of buzz around the Yellow Jacket program, particularly star wide receiver Calvin Johnson.
Tech begins the 2006 in the national spotlight as the Yellow Jackets host Notre Dame Sept. 2 at 8 p.m. at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field in a game that will be nationally televised on ABC. ESPN's College Gameday will originate from the Tech campus that weekend as well.
Johnson, the junior from Tyrone, Ga., is on the cover of numerous preseason magazines, from Lindy's to Athlon to The Sporting News. He is a consensus choice as ACC Offensive Player of the Year and is a first or second-team all-America by virtually every publication.
But Johnson isn't the only Yellow Jacket to receive preseason attention.
Senior defensive tackle Joe Anoai was tabbed to the preseason all-ACC first team by Lindy's, which also named him the No. 14 defensive tackle in the nation. Athlon put him on its all-ACC second team but rated Tech's defensive line the best in the ACC.
Senior linebacker KaMichael Hall is a first-team all-ACC choice and the No. 9 outside linebacker in the nation by The Sporting News. He was named to the all-ACC second team by Lindy's and Athlon.
Senior cornerback Kenny Scott was also named to the all-ACC first team by The Sporting News, which rated him the No. 8 cornerback in the nation. Scott and quarterback Reggie Ball were third-team all-ACC picks by Athlon. <!-- STORY AD BEGINS HERE -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write('<SCR');document.write('IPT SRC="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=story/adsize=300x250/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=story/pos=story/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235128/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022351?">');document.write('</SCR');document.write('IPT>');// End Hide --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=story/adsize=300x250/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=story/pos=story/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235128/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022351?"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))</SCRIPT><OBJECT id=cstvad codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=250 width=300 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<EMBED src="http://graphics.ocsn.com/ads/flash/3rd-party-ad-container-300.swf?noNewWindow=no&clickTag=http://ads.cstv.com/ADCLICK/CID=0000a9b89a1bcc9700000000/aamsz=story/adsize=300x250/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=story/pos=story/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235128/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022351&adURL=http://graphics.ocsn.com/ads/cstv/cstv_com_pennant300x250.swf" menu=false quality=high scale=exactfit salign=LT wmode=transparent bgcolor=#000000 swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" base="http://graphics.ocsn.com"></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>

</TD><TD width=5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- STORY AD ENDS HERE -->Sophomore offensive tackle Andrew Gardner, a freshman all-America last fall, is a second-team all-ACC choice by Lindy's, Athlon and The Sporting News, which rated him the No. 17 offensive tackle in the nation.
Junior Mike Cox was rated the No. 6 fullback in the nation and the best blocking back in the ACC by The Sporting News. --30--

dirty

EOG Master
Johnson Earns Preseason Recognition
Wide Receiver Named to Watch List for Maxwell Award <!-- remove this block --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write('<SCR');document.write('IPT SRC="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=promo/adsize=x/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=promo66/pos=promo66/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235409/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022354?">');document.write('</SCR');document.write('IPT>');// End Hide --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=promo/adsize=x/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/location=promo66/pos=promo66/site=geot/acc_random=20060702235409/pageid=9911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979797991041161091081722015200607022354?"></SCRIPT><!-- location is richmedia, blank --><!-- end block -->
June 13, 2006
Georgia Tech all-America wide receiver Calvin Johnson was named to the preseason watch list for the 70th Maxwell Award for Collegiate Player of the Year, presented by the Maxwell Football Club of Pennsylvania.
A first-team all-America as a sophomore, Johnson enters his third season as one of the nation's premier offensive players. In his first two seasons on the Flats, the 6-4, 235-pounder has amassed 102 recpetions for 1,725 yards and 13 touchdowns.
Twelve semi-finalists for the Maxwell award will be announced in October 2005 and the field will be trimmed to three finalists in November 2005. The winner of the Maxwell Awards will be announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show that will be broadcast on ESPN in December 2006. The formal presentation of the Maxwell Award will take place at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Banquet in March 2007. Johnson and the Yellow Jackets open the 2006 season by hosting Notre Dame Sept. 2 at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field. <!-- STORY AD BEGINS HERE -->

dirty

EOG Master
Florida corner is 6th commitment

By JEFF D'ALESSIO, MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 07/08/06 The third-ranked quarterback in the Midwest. The No. 12 linebacker in the Southeast. The 81st-best player in the Sunshine State.
So far, so good this recruiting season for Georgia Tech, which this week landed verbal commitment No. 6 ? highly regarded St. Augustine (Fla.) Nease cornerback Mario Butler.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->"The Jackets always recruit Florida fairly well, but they appear to be making a lot of inroads with their fair share of top 100 prospects this recruiting cycle," Rivals.com recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt said.
The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Butler picked the Yellow Jackets over South Carolina and Maryland. Rivals ranks him No. 81 in Florida, which recruiting analysts say has more top-flight prospects in the Class of 2007 than any state.
Butler is the third Tech recruit to receive three-star billing (out of five) from Scout.com. The others: Adrian (Mich.) quarterback Steven Threet, which the Web site rates 61st among Midwestern prospects and third among QBs from the region, and Johnson County linebacker Brad Jefferson, who checks in at No. 100 in Scout's Southeast player rankings.
Two of Indiana's best will visit Tech
The Midwestern recruiting theme will continue at Tech's camp Saturday as the Jackets expect to host highly touted safety Jerimy Finch and running back Darren Evans, teammates at Warren Central (Indianapolis) High, Indiana's three-time defending class 5A state champion.
Some reports say Finch has made a "soft" verbal commitment to Michigan.
Detroit Dunbar cornerback/wide receiver Cedric Everson also is expected to visit today, along with Gainesville offensive lineman Nick Claytor, Dawson County defensive lineman Logan Walls and Camden County safety/wideout Willie White.
Claytor, a 6-foot-6, 312-pounder whose father, Truman, was on Kentucky's 1978 national championship basketball team, recently went to a camp at Ohio State.

dirty

EOG Master
CHAN GAILEY Q&A

CHAN GAILEY Q&A

CHAN GAILEY Q&A
Gailey: Not easy to give up play-calling
Tech coach hopes to see bigger picture by giving reins to Nix

Published on: 07/13/06 Georgia Tech football coach Chan Gailey's season is off to a good start before opening night, as recruiting appears to be going well. With summer practice less than three weeks away, he spent time with the Journal-Constitution's Matt Winkeljohn to talk about a variety of topics, including his decision to turn over play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Patrick Nix.
Q: How do you approach your job differently having handed over the offensive coordinator's role and play-calling responsibilities completely to Patrick Nix?
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->A:
I think that I will be looking at the big picture a lot more. I have more time to do that. I have more time to look at personnel, to see how they may fit within the scheme offensively, defensively, and in particular on special teams.
Q: Are you going to put in fewer work hours?
A:
No.
Q: Did your heart attack last year weigh into your decision to step away from play-calling duties and game-plan construction?
A:
No.
Q: At what point did you feel ready to hand over the reins?
A:
I don't think there was any point. It's been a process over the past couple of years. I could see it coming. Timing is always important. I felt like this was the right time.
Q: Did you make the decision partly in an effort to retain a good coach, by giving Patrick more responsibility?
A:
No, I don't think so. In our business, if you don't spend time studying, you get behind. If you don't look at the new ideas that are going on out there, if you don't look at the new innovations, the way other people are doing things and watch them and look at tape of other teams in the offseason, you start to get behind.
My time is so ... I speak so much, there are so many things going on with the players that I have to do outside of football that I was not able to spend as much time studying and keeping up with things as I needed to, and it had gotten worse the last couple of years.
What happens is when you don't study, you revert back to what you've been successful with and I felt like I was drawing in, becoming narrower rather than broader, and that's not good for our football team.
Q: Examples?
A:
Every year I've been in this business I've always studied and seen ways to incorporate new things and new plays, new things. The coaches would bring new ideas to me, but I didn't have time to study it. And if I'm not comfortable with it, then I'm not going to do it. So when I say I became narrower, I was less open to new ideas because I didn't have time to study them and see how they work.
If you're not careful, then you become grab-bag ... "Oh yeah, let's try that this week, and try this next week." And you get no continuity or philosophy of what you're trying to get done.
Q: Did that make it more difficult for offensive assistants as they came up with ideas only to be frustrated when their suggestions weren't incorporated?
A:
There's always a level of frustration when you're making suggestions and they're not taken at every level, in every business. [Former NFL coach] Dan Reeves gave me the best piece of advice I ever got. When I left the Broncos, left him, and went to be a head coach in the World League, he said, "Chan, all those suggestions you used to give me will now be decisions, and you have to make sure you understand the process." I used to make suggestions to him, and get frustrated when they weren't taken. Now, when I suggest it, I better be sure because I'm the decision-maker.
I was understanding that I was being more close-minded to things, and that wasn't good for the future of our team. And it's not easy to give it up, by the way. It's not easy to do.
Q: I can't imagine that it is.
A:
It's not, but you make decisions every day in every level of business that are not easy but you do what's best in your mind for the organization.
Q: You ever seek Dan's counsel?
A:
He's come to practice, and I've asked him to evaluate practice and see what we can do better.... But to sit down and talk about philosophy, not really.
Q: Back to how difficult it is to give up play-calling. Is part of that going to be deciding how and when to offer feedback? There's a difference, of course, between giving feedback, complaining, or outright giving orders.
A:
You better know yourself, is the way I look at it, Matt. I know that I cannot be a little involved. I'm either doing it or not doing it because when you become a little involved, then you mess it up. If I say anything, it will be of the most general term. It will never be specifics.
Q: So, no play suggestions on fourth-and-goal?
A:
I would probably go only as far as say "throw it" or "run it." What Patrick needs from me is before third down is called, are we going to go for it on fourth down? That's what he needs to know because now he's calling the play and that impacts his call on third down.
Q: How difficult will it be to resist the urge to, for lack of a better phrase, second-guess Patrick's play-calling? That might be easy until there are four failed third-and-shorts.
A:
I don't know. I'm going to find out.
Q: So, it'll be by feel that you opt for critical, and verbal, comment?
A:
It has to be.
Q: Have you ever done it this way before in your 11 years as a head coach?
A:
Never.
Q: What will be most difficult about that once games begin?
A:
(Long pause) I don't know.
Q: Do you think you'll be more acutely aware of what's going on during games?
A:
Yes, I will. That's my responsibility now. My responsibility is to be aware of the overall more, and with coaches challenge now, that's another thing where I can't be standing off over there on the side, maybe talking to the offense ? I need to be on the sideline if there's a defensive situation seeing the play. Do I need to challenge? It was a good time to do it for a lot of reasons, that being another one of them.
Q: Has this given you any more time to do all those other things you referred to? When I asked Patrick what you were doing with your extra time, he said, "I don't know because he's always busy; there's always someone in his office or something. Looking back, I don't know how [Gailey] did it all before."
A:
You know what? After spending time not being in the offensive meetings, I don't know how I did it either, to be honest with you. I've been able to pay attention to some things now moreso than before. Some of the things in academics, and some of the things that are going on in the lives of the players that I was not doing as good a job of before.
Q: That sounds like a plus.
A:
It should be. I shouldn't have made the decision if it wasn't going to be a plus. Just knowing. I've always cared; I have time to know more now.
Q: Coach Nix said he thought Tech was better off depth-wise than in recent years. Do you agree?
A:
I do agree offensively, not defensively. Our depth on our defensive line is good. We're a little bit behind at linebacker and in the secondary.
Q: He also said there's more experience on the offensive line than recently.
A:
I would agree with that. We've got four returning starters, one guy that's played a bunch, and we moved a guy from defense to offense [tackle Mansfield Wrotto] who's been a starter for three years so he knows how the game is played.
Q: Do you think the value of experience in that area is underrated?
A:
No question about it. The communication and continuity on the offensive line is the most critical of any position on the football team.
Q: Looking back, who and what were highlights of spring practice?
A:
I felt like
Kevin Tuminello was finally healthy for the first time in a long time through spring practice, and that was a big plus. Obviously, the incoming freshman, [running back] Jamaal Evans, made a big jump, a guy we didn't know a lot about. Phillip Wheeler made a transition from [weakside linebacker] to [middle] that we were not sure how that would go, and he adapted to that very well. [Defensive end] Michael Johnson is making a step from being a freshman defensive end to a sophomore defensive end. It was great to have [defensive tackle] Darryl Richard back on the field, having been injured the entire year.
Q: How many positions will be open for competition in camp?
A:
I'm not going to tell you specifically, but I'm going to say two or three. I'd say that's probably about the norm.
Q: Where is [senior quarterback] Reggie Ball in terms of grasping all that you want to do?
A:
There's no question that he is capable of, and does understand, all that we are doing.
Q: Patrick suggested no major changes in how Reggie's deployed other than perhaps getting him on the move a little more ...
A:
Which we've talked about every year.
Q: With Patrick calling plays, do you think the offense will look different to the average fan?
A:
I don't know that there will be drastic differences. I don't think anybody will go out there and see new formations and tons of new plays. There will be some wrinkles here and there, but I don't think you'll see a lot of drastic changes because we have some philosophical things that he understands I believe and he's going to carry those forward.
Q: Your most significant concerns entering summer camp?
A:
Secondary. Secondary.
Q: Because of spring injuries?
A:
Not only that, but we graduated three guys back there who were starters.
Q: With seven verbal commitments already for the 2007 freshman class, have you satisfied your needs at any position yet?
A:
We have not shut down any position at this point. We're still recruiting every position right now. You really don't shut down things until you get toward the end, January, right before signing day.
Q: Are positive reports on the Internet about the way Tech's recruiting accurate?
A:
I'm very pleased with where we are [while] realizing that we still have a long way to go.​

dirty

EOG Master
Tech's Johnson humble yet confident

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 07/24/06 Jacksonville ? Calvin Johnson had just recited a list of half a dozen excellent ACC receivers, from Clemson's Chansi Stuckey to Virginia's Deyon Williams.
That's when he was asked a simple question: "Are you the best?"
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Johnson smiled. "Yeah," he said.
It was a classic Calvin Johnson moment, his enormous self-confidence going one-on-one against his almost equally profound humility. Johnson won't brag about his talent or his accomplishments at Georgia Tech, but that doesn't mean he fails to appreciate them. He knows he enters his junior season as one of the nation's top college football players. He just won't volunteer that information.
Let others tout him for the Heisman Trophy; he won't beat the drum.
"I hear it a lot. I don't really think about it at all," Johnson said. "I really don't think it's going to go to my head or anything."
Coaches and teammates have commented on Johnson's level-headedness since he arrived at Tech two years ago. Now, there's a new set of witnesses: ACC football stars who met him on Sunday at the conference's annual preseason news conference.
"He's a humble guy," Virginia Tech defensive back Aaron Rouse said.
"Quiet and humble and easygoing," Miami linebacker Jon Beason said. "I'm a Calvin Johnson fan."
So is Tech defensive end Joe Anoai, who praised Johnson's parents for raising a son who received so many athletic gifts without getting spoiled. In a world where the best wide receivers tend to be the loudest, like Terrell Owens and Keyshawn Johnson, Calvin Johnson has stayed quiet.
"He's not like a T.O. type," Anoai said. "He's a team player."
But he's a confident and assertive one, too. Johnson fumed after the Emerald Bowl loss to Utah in which he caught only two passes, and when asked on Sunday how Tech's new offense would affect him he answered, "Hopefully I'll get the ball more."
How much more?
"As long as I can improve on my stats every season, it's all good," Johnson said.
Johnson's numbers improved only slightly from his freshman season to his sophomore season. He caught six more passes for 51 more yards and one fewer touchdown. His sophomore totals of 54 catches, 888 yards and six touchdowns meant he led the league in receiving yards, but not in yards per game, touchdown catches or receptions.
The numbers, though, don't tell Johnson's story the way the highlight films and the opponents do.
N.C. State senior cornerback A.J. Davis said he couldn't name the best receiver he'd ever played against, but then the only one he mentioned was Johnson. Davis marveled at Johnson's concentration and conditioning.
"He comes to the line breathing hard, and then he runs a perfect route," Davis said. "You're like, 'Man, he should be tired.' "
North Carolina free safety Kareen Taylor said what makes Johnson special is how aggressively he goes after the ball.
Miami's Beason said it's Johnson's marriage of physical tools and mental ability.
"The guy's 6-5, 6-6. His mitts are like this big," Beason said, indicating hands about a third bigger than his own. "He has deceptive speed. He's quicker than he is fast.
"You [saw] him as a freshman emerging as a star. When it's crunch time, they went to him. Now, it's at the point where there's not a situation he hasn't been in. He's not even worried about it. It's fourth down, he knows the ball's coming to him. I don't believe that he is nervous because he's done it before. He's just developed into a dependable guy."
Maybe that's because beneath all the humility there's a player with undying faith in his ability to catch a pass, against any defender, in any circumstance.
"You've got to have a certain amount of confidence about yourself," Johnson said. "That doesn't mean you've got to talk about it all the time, but you've got to have a certain amount of confidence."

dirty

EOG Master
Tech's Johnson is ACC's preseason best

By TONY BARNHART
Published on: 07/24/06 Jacksonville ? Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson was named the preseason ACC Player of the Year in a vote Monday by media covering the conference.
The junior wide receiver from Sandy Creek received 50 of 65 first-place votes.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Miami quarterback Kyle Wright received five votes while Clemson running back James Davis, a Douglass High grad, and Florida State quarterback Drew Weatherford received four votes each.
FSU was the media's pick to win the ACC Atlantic Division, Miami the choice to win the Coastal.
FSU received 49 of 65 first place votes; Miami got 52 first-place votes.
Miami was picked as the overall preseason winner of the conference title, receiving 31 votes to FSU's 23.
Clemson and Virginia Tech received five votes as preseason ACC champions. Georgia Tech got one.
Per newspaper policy, Journal-Constitution reporters do not vote in media polls.

dirty

EOG Master
Gailey speaks out on Johnson's lack of catches

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 07/25/06 Jacksonville ? Chan Gailey's pent-up frustration burst out Monday evening at the umpteenth question about what it will take for Georgia Tech to get the ball to Calvin Johnson.
"Regardless of how stupid people think I am, I do realize he's one of the best players in the nation and we should be getting him the ball," Gailey said.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Gailey has tackled that issue for two seasons as head coach and play-caller. This season, he'll deal with it as head coach while Patrick Nix calls the plays. But Gailey made clear to reporters at the ACC's preseason news conference that Tech won't necessarily pass to its All-America receiver as often as Johnson, Nix, Gailey or Tech fans would like.
That's true despite the Yellow Jackets having a fourth-year starter at quarterback in Reggie Ball, plus credible threats at the other receiver positions in James Johnson and Chris Dunlap, Gailey said.
Calvin Johnson, the man named Monday the ACC's preseason player of the year, caught just two passes in each of his last two games of 2005. Four other ACC receivers caught more passes per game than he did last season.
"If you don't get the ball to a great player, in general people are upset," Gailey said. "What John Q. Public doesn't understand is how many [plays] you've got designed to go to him. Protection breaks down. Safety plays over the top. Reggie doesn't see him, can't find him."
Defenses double-covered Calvin Johnson 60 to 70 percent of the time last season, Gailey said. There were times Gailey told Ball to throw to Johnson anyway. But that's a difficult and dangerous message to deliver to a quarterback who threw 18 interceptions as a sophomore. Gailey focused a lot of his attention last season on a largely successful attempt to get Ball to make better decisions and avoid turnovers and sacks.
"You can't turn around and talk to Reggie Ball about being inconsistent if you've told him to throw into double coverage," Gailey said. "He drops back the next time, and you didn't tell him anything, and he's going, single, double, single, double, and there's indecision, and he gets sacked. You can't have it all. It doesn't all just go smooth as silk every time you go out there.
"Everybody thinks it's easy," Gailey added, acting out the scene. "'OK, Reggie, [and Gailey's voice dropped to a whisper] this time throw it to Calvin. Next time, throw it one-on-one back side.'"
Gailey's narration continued, his words coming louder and faster: "You've got 20 seconds, things are going 900 miles an hour, you've got different coverage, you've got cover two, both sides are doubled, what am I going to do?"
It's up to Nix to figure out how to deliver a clear and consistent message to Ball, get the ball to Johnson and still avoid turnovers. That last item might be every bit as important to the new play-caller as it was to the old one.
"I've been around a lot of coaches that understand you can't have turnovers, you've got to control the ball, you can't give the game away," Nix said last spring. "The thing I've learned in this game is make the other team beat you; don't beat yourself."
Gailey said he'll still attend offensive meetings this fall but plans to keep his mouth shut. If he talks, Gailey said, it will be one-on-one with Nix, and about philosophy, not specific plays.
"I do not want to be a meddler," Gailey said. "Meddling creates problems. I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem."
Problem No. 1 for Nix: Get the ball to Calvin Johnson.

dirty

EOG Master
Irish One Month Away

Irish One Month Away

Gailey optimistic despite issues

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/03/06 Opening night comes in less than a month, in a packed house, on national, over-the-air network television.
And director Chan Gailey still has some casting decisions to make, some lines to tweak and some aspiring actors to evaluate.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td>
Keith Hadley / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Former Yellow Jackets receiver Pat Clark is competing for a job at cornerback.
</td></tr><tr><td>
Johnny Crawford / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Running back Rashaun Grant is one of the possibilities to be Tech's primary punt returner.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Gailey has 29 rehearsals to do it, beginning Thursday afternoon. He says he's got the makings of a hit series. Who knows? Maybe "Georgia Tech football 2006" will run all the way to January.
"You know me. I'm eternally optimistic about everything that's happening," Gailey said. "Everything's going to turn out great. If it's not good, we're going to find a way to make it good."
Here's what he has to make good by Sept. 2, when Notre Dame, ABC and a 55,000-person live studio audience visit Bobby Dodd Stadium.
Shore up the secondary
This can't wait. Notre Dame had one of the top four passing offenses in the nation last season and returns its quarterback and top receiver. Tech returns just one starting defensive back and lost an experienced backup when Joe Gaston injured a knee so badly in spring practice he'll miss the entire season.
Who will play alongside cornerback Kenny Scott, and in what positions? Those are the two biggest questions Gailey needs to answer over the next couple of weeks. But defensive tackle Joe Anoai said things might be better than outside observers think.
"A lot of these guys have been in the system. They know what's going on. Athletically, they're probably the best secondary we've ever had," Anoai said. "They're all fast. They all jump 40 inches vertically."
Jamal Lewis jumped one position horizontally in the spring, moving from cornerback to safety after Gaston got hurt. Lewis would have been a starter at corner. His move left Avery Roberson, former receiver Pat Clark and Jahi Word-Daniels competing for a starting spot at cornerback, and Tony Clark's performance in the final spring scrimmage indicates he's got an outside shot at the job, too.
Roberson practiced at corner and free safety in the spring. Pat Clark worked at corner and nickel back.
It's difficult for a guy straight out of high school to play in the secondary, but this isn't an ordinary year. Cornerback Laurence Marius of Key West, Fla., is Tech's most highly touted incoming defensive back.
Gailey said the personnel issues need to get settled in the next two weeks.
Find kick returners
Pat Clark returned punts last fall, but with the shift to the secondary he's got a new position to learn. Among the players who got a look at the punt return job in the spring were running backs Rashaun Grant and Jamaal Evans and safety Jake Blackwood. Wide receiver James Johnson was a candidate, too, but missed spring practice with a hamstring injury.
Grant could return kickoffs again; he did in the Emerald Bowl.
Choose tight ends
Michael Matthews and George Cooper both started last season, but Colin Peek turned it into a three-way race in the spring. Wayne Riles, finally healthy, showed he can help Tech, too.
Evaluate newcomers
Thirteen freshman signees go through their first practice today. The coaches have to figure out which to play on special teams, which might do more than that and which probably will redshirt.
Where are they?
Thirteen members of the two-deep missed all or part of the spring because of injury. All but Gaston are expected back this fall, though backup linebacker Travis Chambers could take some time to return to full speed. Two key questions: Will James Johnson be the receiving option opposite Calvin Johnson that coaches expect him to be? Will Jacob Lonowski continue to push for more playing time on the offensive line, or did missing the spring set him back?

dirty

EOG Master
Tech's talk about title is serious
Jackets have experience

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/04/06 Georgia Tech played spoiler last season. This season, the Yellow Jackets want the spoils.
The team that kept Miami from going to the ACC championship game in 2005 opened practice Thursday with its sights on spending Dec. 2 in Jacksonville.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td>
RENEE' HANNANS / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Cornerback Kenny Scott, diving into the end zone for an interception in last season's game against Connecticut, is the Yellow Jackets' only returning starter in the secondary.
</td></tr><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr class="railscreen01"><td>Your Turn</td></tr></tbody></table><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script language="javascript"> function clickVote() { document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = "yes"; document.pollForm.PageId.value = "poll_vote_submit"; document.pollForm.submit(); } function alert1(){ document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = ""; } </script> <form method="post" action="/poll/poll/poll/take_poll/PollRefresh.jsp" name="pollForm"> <input name="PageId" value="poll_vote_submit" type="hidden"> <input name="pollID" value="10244" type="hidden"> <input name="page" value="take" type="hidden"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="100%"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Are the Jackets good enough to win the ACC title this season? [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> <td align="right" height="15" width="46">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36366" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Yes, they are loaded with experience and depth [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" valign="top"> <input name="choice" value="36354" type="radio"> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] No, they are have a weak secondary, challenging schedule and are in a tough conference [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
</td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="100%"> <input value="Vote" name="vote" type="submit">
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-2]Voter Limit: Once per Hour
View Poll Results [/SIZE][/FONT] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </form> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "We all have ACC championship on our mind," senior linebacker KaMichael Hall said. "An ACC championship, and ultimately a national championship."
"I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I think we're really going to have a great year this year," junior defensive end Adamm Oliver said. "We've got everything it takes."
They've got the preseason ACC Player of the Year in wide receiver Calvin Johnson, a fourth-year starter at quarterback in Reggie Ball and the 2005 team leader in rushing touchdowns in Tashard Choice.
They've got experience up front on both sides of the ball. Every first-team offensive lineman is a returning starter, though Mansfield Wrotto's starts were on defense. Every first-team defensive lineman has started at least four games.
And they've got some talent behind those returning starters.
"We've got more depth on both lines of scrimmage than we've ever had since I've been here," said Chan Gailey, who is preparing for his fifth season as Tech's coach. "This is the first time, too, I believe, we've had experience at the skill positions and on the line offensively."
Gailey has proven a lot of things possible that others thought impossible. He beat a 9-0 N.C. State team in 2002 and a No. 17-ranked Auburn team in 2003, then knocked off Auburn and Miami last season. He said even bigger things are possible in 2006.
Can this team win more than the seven games Tech has won each of the past four seasons?
"It has the capability of having the best record," he said.
Can it win the ACC?
"Do we have that capability? Yes, we do," he said.
A lot depends on the secondary, where cornerback Kenny Scott is the lone returning starter. Tech opened practice Thursday with Jahi Word-Daniels at the other corner, Djay Jones at free safety and Jamal Lewis at strong safety, but there could be some shuffling before the opener Sept. 2 against Notre Dame. Word-Daniels has competition from Pat Clark and Avery Roberson, who practiced as a backup corner Thursday but also could play safety.
"They've got a long way to go and a short time to get there, against some great competition in that opening ballgame," Gailey said.
The strength of Tech's front seven could take a lot of the pressure off the secondary. The Jackets need an effective pass rush from the opening game, and they've got 10 defensive players returning who had at least one sack last season.
Hall said the Jackets have to find consistency and play hard every game and every down. Previous Tech seniors have said similar things, only to have their teammates let them down once or twice a year. Maybe this will be the season Tech doesn't have games like last year's 44-point loss at Virginia Tech or its 28-point loss in the Emerald Bowl to Utah or the 10-0 first half against N.C. State or the 17-0 first 20 minutes at Virginia.
These Jackets expect to be better than those Jackets in a lot of areas. There's more emphasis on special teams play now, and there's faith that kicker Travis Bell will return to his record-setting ways of 2004 after an inconsistent 2005. There's more confidence in the offensive line, which had trouble establishing itself in short-yardage situations during the early part of last season. And there's a feeling that, up front at least, Tech can rotate more players into the lineup without seeing a dropoff in performance.
The past nine seasons have ended with bowl berths. Will the streak extend to 10? That wasn't the question Thursday. The Jackets weren't talking bowls; they were talking championships.
"We can do big things," Hall said.

dirty

EOG Master
Gailey no longer focuses on offense

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/04/06 There was something new in the air as Georgia Tech began summer camp Thursday afternoon, and coach Chan Gailey went nearly everywhere. Just don't look for him in the air.
Since surrendering play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Patrick Nix in the offseason, Gailey plans to give Nix and the offensive coaches plenty of space, much as he's given defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta room.
Johnny Crawford / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Tech coach Chan Gailey said, 'This is the first time in a long time that I've gone around and evaluated personnel and saw the whole picture.'
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> But no, he didn't climb a tower to survey from on high, like Bear Bryant. And he won't.
"I can't guarantee a lot, but I can guarantee that," Gailey said after Tech practiced for about two hours in shorts, jerseys and helmets. "That's reserved for the likes of Bear. This is the first time in a long time that I've gone around and evaluated personnel and saw the whole picture."
Gailey spent more time with special teams, a trend that may continue.
"I think I'll probably use [the personnel evaluation] more to help [new special teams coach] Charles Kelly than offense and defense because they know who they've got," he said. "Charles is the one who can't see everything, and ... I've done it before so maybe I can help him without meddling."
ACC: Yoga workouts OK
Although Mississippi State and LSU might find themselves in trouble with the NCAA for putting players through offseason yoga classes, Tech compliance director Paul Parker checked to make sure its yoga program falls within NCAA standards.
"The ACC told us what we were doing is OK," Parker said. "Since we're doing yoga that's open to all student-athletes, it's OK ? it's not special to the football team. Plus, it was initiated through our sports medicine staff, and it's non-mandatory."
The heat is on
Although temperatures were in the low 90s when practice began, and the heat index reached a high of 111, cloud cover soon cooled things off. Gailey said there were no significant heat-related issues, but partly in deference to heat, he previously changed Friday's practice and Saturday's from 4:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Roster news
Senior reserve offensive lineman Travis Kelly of Warner Robins will not play this season after suffering a career-ending knee injury in the spring. ... Redshirt freshman running back Jason Davis did not practice because of a foot injury. ... All scholarship players were in uniform, and have passed through the NCAA clearinghouse, Gailey said.
Recruiting report
Tech will have two recruits in for visits this weekend: wide receiver Chris Jackson, a junior-to-be at Henry County High, and receiver/defensive back Cam Baker, a senior from Osceola, Ark.
Frosh watch
Freshman Quincy Kelly, recruited out of Decatur High as a running back, worked at linebacker. "He can do both, but we need depth at linebacker," Gailey said. ... Dominique Reese, recruited as a wide receiver/defensive back, worked at cornerback. Cornerback Laurence Marius and wide receiver Correy Earls worked with punt returners.

dirty

EOG Master
Tech QB, play-caller have a lot to prove

By Jeff Schultz | Thursday, August 3, 2006, 07:54 PM

Jeff Schultz

Georgia Tech began practice Thursday with questions about the quarterback and the guy calling plays. They have several games on the schedule that lead you to conclude: ?Could go this way. Could go that way. They?ll win seven.?
Yes. This is where we came in.
?Going 7-5, 7-6 for three straight years is not a good feeling,? Reggie Ball, the quarterback, said. ?It?s like being right on the edge of being good, but being right on the edge of being real bad. Being in the city of Atlanta, that?s not too good to be right on that edge. A lot of guys are just fed up.?
Most football teams go into a season with questions. Then they play games and answer them.
One problem during the Chan Gailey regime is the questions never quite get answered. Tech wins a game it?s not supposed to win. Then it loses a game it?s not supposed to lose.
Ball looks great. Then he implodes.
Wow. Whoa.
Some of this must have hit home with Gailey. So he did the right thing, took a step back and handed play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Patrick Nix. Gailey considered making the move last year but talked himself out of it.
?I thought I was still at the top of it fairly well,? he said.
The season taught him otherwise. ?I was becoming close-minded about things in meetings. I didn?t like it.?
Tech has questions. But if we finally get answers this season, they likely will come from two sources: Ball and Nix.
Three years ago, Ball surprisingly was handed the starting quarterback job as a true freshman. From the outset, it was clear that desire and passion wouldn?t be a problem. Control ? that?s another issue.
He has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns each season. He threw for a personal high of 2,165 yards last year, but his completion percentage continued to drop: from 51.7 percent as a freshman to 49.7, to 48.
Statistics can be misleading. Receivers drop passes, protection breaks down, coaches suddenly call plays with blinders on. But it all has left Ball on that perceived ?edge? that he so disdains. Criticism also has left him with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, which isn?t necessarily a bad thing. His pairing with Nix seems appropriate.
?I played quarterback at Auburn ? I?ve been booed off the field,? Nix said.
?It?s vital to have a quarterback coach who played and had both success and a couple of downfalls,? Ball said. ?Because he knows exactly what to expect and what you?re going through. I mean, he played at Auburn, and Auburn ain?t too bad.?
Ball says he has matured and learned a lot, mostly how to take a verbal shot. He didn?t hesitate when asked what advice he would give a freshman.
?I would tell them that there?s a lot that comes along with [college football],? he said. ?An 18-year-old doesn?t know how to be criticized day in and day out. You?ve got to have thick skin at this position. If you don?t, you?ll crumble.?
Ball doesn?t crumble. Self-immolate, maybe. What Nix does with his quarterback?s fire, he?s not saying. Nor have he or Ball revealed much in the way of what changes will be made.
?At the end of the year, I think we?ll be able to look back and see there were changes,? said Nix, who called plays in the two-minute offense the past two seasons. ?But that?s not necessarily a change in philosophy. Maybe I?ll feel a little more comfortable with a player or a situation than what [Gailey] was at the time. That?s a lot different from just saying, ?He?s going to throw it more? or ?We?re going to use the shotgun more.? ?
Things have calmed down somewhat. There?s no more uncertainty about NCAA sanctions. It?s been weeks since anybody has used a flame-thrower over Gailey?s contract extension. Dan Radakovich, the new athletics director, hasn?t had to put out as many brush fires as Dave Braine did in his final days.
Whether answers come out of that calm is another matter.
?A lot of people are fed up with seven wins every year, and we?re ticked off, too,? Ball said.
Yes. This is where we came in.
Permalink | Comments (24) | Post your comment | Categories: Jeff Schultz, Tech / ACC

dirty

EOG Master
Tech's Word-Daniels works hard

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/06/06 Just when Jahi Word-Daniels completed a quick climb up Georgia Tech's depth chart, his knee threatened to give way.
Fewer than a dozen practices were all it took for Word-Daniels to move from third to second to first in the race to fill Tech's vacant cornerback spot. And now that he was where he'd hoped to be, the last thing he wanted to do was head to the sidelines and watch someone else take his place.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> The knee's just a little sore, he thought. I can tough it out.
So he did. Word-Daniels didn't just get through the Spring Sports Day scrimmage; he starred in it, intercepting one throw and breaking up a potential touchdown pass. But his knee hurt worse than ever, and after a post-scrimmage interview with a reporter he headed to the training room to find out what was wrong. The knee swelled. The medical staff thought there might be a bone chip or ligament damage, and they scheduled Word-Daniels for an MRI and an X-ray. Until those tests could be run ? and the results could be interpreted ? Word-Daniels' playing future hung in limbo.
He'd spent his freshman season playing only on special teams. Would this injury keep him from achieving his goals as a sophomore?
Word-Daniels did the only things he could. He waited, and he prayed.
The news came a week to the day after the Spring Sports Day scrimmage. The knee would be fine. Medical personnel told him to rest for a week, then start back slowly for summer conditioning. He had other ideas. He had a starting cornerback job to keep. A week of rest? Fine. But easing into rehabilitation?
"They wanted me to, but it felt good to me so I just went full blast," Word-Daniels said. "I knew I needed to have a good summer, to get stronger and bigger and faster. I knew I didn't have time to take it slow."
More than three months later, Word-Daniels is still going all-out. Avery Roberson and Pat Clark continue to compete for the cornerback job, but Word-Daniels runs with the first team.
He said he has put on 27 pounds since arriving last fall from Hoover (Ala.) High School and now has 190 pounds on his 5-foot-11 frame. That weight hasn't detracted from his speed and quickness; those have improved, too. That's a reflection of how hard he worked over the summer. He drilled on footwork and agility in the morning, then sweated through strength and conditioning training later in the day.
"His work ethic came up tremendously," free safety Djay Jones said. "He knows he has a chance for a starting role. He has to hold the spot. So he's working hard at it. He knows he has to step up, so he's taking that role."
Word-Daniels already had above-average man-to-man coverage skills, Tech coach Chan Gailey said in the spring. What Word-Daniels needed was a better grasp of Tech's defense. He and Clark both made big strides in the spring and will have to continue that growth in the preseason, as Tech prepares to open against Notre Dame Sept. 2.
Word-Daniels plans to do whatever it takes. He remembers how far he came in March and April. He knows how close he came to losing the starting job to a knee injury. He understands that just becoming a first-teamer didn't mean his work was done.
There is no time to waste now. There was no time to waste this summer.
"To be able to compete in this league, you've got to be up to par," Word-Daniels said. "I knew where I was at. I knew I had to get better."

dirty

EOG Master
Tech ground game must do its part

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/05/06 Tashard Choice was at it again Friday morning, rattling defenders, rallying offenders, just ... yapping.
For as quick as the Georgia Tech junior running back's feet were while slanting off tackle right, cutting left and high-stepping into the secondary, his mouth was running just as fast.
AP
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Running back Tashard Choice, who transferred from Oklahoma in 2004, scored six touchdowns last season and says this year's offense is more cohesive as a group.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "You ain't going to make that tackle," he hollered at defenders.
It's not always obvious from a distance what the junior is saying, but from any vantage point this is clear: All-America wide receiver Calvin Johnson can't get the ball on every play, and the Yellow Jackets aren't going far without traveling by ground a fair share.
So as Tech's passing game struggled in practice Friday, and some receivers had problems catching the ball, it was time to watch Choice and fellow backs Rashaun Grant and Jamaal Evans and wonder: Can the ground game do its part?
Leading rushing P.J. Daniels is in the NFL, but Choice, who transferred to Tech from Oklahoma in 2004, made it clear last season he's no step down while averaging 4.4 yards per carry and scoring six touchdowns on 117 carries.
"I think Tashard Choice has a great deal of talent and a great heart," coach Chan Gailey said. "He understands the game. We have the ability to have a very good running game with him back there."
With four starting offensive linemen back, and the fifth ? right tackle Mansfield Wrotto ? a senior who has started three seasons on defense, the 6-foot-1,205-pound Choice likes his chances, and Tech's.
"We're way more cohesive as an offense. We understand each other," he said. "Whatever the play is designed to do, I'll stick with it instead of relying on my instincts. It's a trust issue. It's for everybody but starts on the line."
Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix has suggested quarterback Reggie Ball (104 carries last year) will be as likely to run as before, and he'll have choices beyond Choice behind him.
Grant, a 5-10, 200-pound junior, had just 10 carries last year when plagued by injury. As a freshman, though, he rushed 94 times for a 4.5-yard average and was Tech's second-leading rusher. He's healthy, and Evans (5-8, 191) had a fine spring after enrolling early.
"It's thin depth," Nix said. "I'd rather have three really, really good ones instead of one really good one and three or four others. We have three that can go out and play really well.
"Tashard is more of a slasher-in-the-hole, physical back who's not going to bounce a ton outside. Rashaun has a little more speed and quickness. I think all three [including Evans] have really good vision and the ability to make somebody miss in the hole."
If Tech's running game is as good as it was last year, it will help. The Jackets were third in the ACC with nearly 154 yards per game, but the passing game was No. 9. So it will be the job of the rushing attack to set up a passing game that needs to improve.
"I don't think necessarily the run game sets up the pass game, or the pass game sets up the run game," Nix said. "We do what the defense allows us to do."
One thing's certain: Choice will somehow lead the way.
"Tashard is a vocal type of leader," Grant said. "One thing about him is you know you're going to hear him; he keeps everybody going."

dirty

EOG Master
New middle linebacker key to defense

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/06/06 You may have questions about Georgia Tech's defense, what with three starters gone from the secondary, Philip Wheeler moving from outside to middle linebacker, the return of starting tackle Darryl Richard and more.
Jon Tenuta has some answers. Tech's defensive coordinator sounded especially confident about the middle linebacker, or "Mike," position, where Wheeler is rolling.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "Our defense is based on the Mike. We funnel [the ball] to him," Tenuta said Saturday morning, after the Yellow Jackets practiced for 2 1/2 hours. "Philip Wheeler's a football player, and obviously he's a sic-'em type of guy that's going to make plays. That's the guy in our defense."
More from Tenuta:
? On the suggestion that even with the loss of end Eric Henderson there's more depth on the line than in years: "We've got six guys that have combat experience. We have three ends [starters Adamm Oliver and Darrell Robertson and reserve Michael Johnson]. We have four tackles [starters Joe Anoai and Richard and reserves Vance Walker and Elris Anyaibe], but we have three guys that played a lot.
"Even through Darryl Richard didn't play last year [because of a knee injury], he played enough as a freshman to help us keep people off Philip Wheeler."
? On whether D-line depth will help "hide" a secondary with three new starters, four including nickel back and converted wide receiver Pat Clark: "Have you watched us play? We blitz almost every snap. ... People are coming, so I don't understand your question. [Clark is] one of the top six guys in the secondary. Depending on how many DBs we play at one time, he can be considered a starting guy."
Freshman Tongo injures right knee
Freshman Osahon Tongo, a linebacker from Naperville, Ill., who has not worked his way onto the depth chart, injured his right knee Saturday. He lay down several minutes as the Tech staff tended to him. "We'll wait until Monday [to discuss the severity of the injury]," coach Chan Gailey said.
Players practice in pads for first time
Players added shoulder pads for the first time Saturday, yet as always early in camp, linemen had problems staying low. "No doubt," said offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris. "The way it is on the first day [of contact], you're always telling [players] that football is about leverage on both sides of the ball."
Clark gives defense a fervent convert
Pat Clark broke up at least two passes in team drills, and on a blitz deflected one by Reggie Ball. "In the spring, I was at about 50 percent knowledge [of what to do]," he said. "I'd say I'm now at 80 percent or better. [Blitzing] is a lot of fun."
Extra points
Jacob Lonowski, competing with Nate McManus at right guard, and freshman running back Jamaal Evans did not practice. "They're both short-term injuries," Gailey said. "They should be back Monday or Tuesday." ... Several wide receivers had problems catching the ball again. ... Tech is off Sunday, and will practice Monday and Tuesday (for the first time in full pads) at 4:30 p.m. each day.

dirty

EOG Master
GEORGIA TECH FOOTBALL
Foot healed, Chambers prepares to make strides

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/08/06 Travis Chambers knew his left foot hurt, but an X-ray showed nothing wrong.
The result: frustration for him, disappointment for Georgia Tech fans. Two years into his college career he hadn't shown the ability that had made him Georgia's Class AAAA defensive player of the year at Chamblee High School. He had six tackles and a sack against Duke, one tackle the rest of his sophomore season.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> After the season, the Yellow Jackets learned why. A second X-ray showed a bone fracture the first one had missed. Chambers underwent surgery in January and is looking forward to proving himself this fall.
"I'm just now really getting back on my feet," Chambers said Monday. "I haven't been 100 percent in more than a year. It was really frustrating. I was in pain. My production was falling. Playing football, you want to be able to compete. It just felt like I was falling, you know, slipping away. Hopefully, the fans will get the chance to see what I can do."
Chambers could be the answer to one of Tech's biggest preseason questions: Who will be the key backup at linebacker? Last season, the Yellow Jackets rotated four players through the three linebacker spots, with Gary Guyton coming off the bench when one of the starters needed a breather.
Now, with Gerris Wilkinson in camp with the NFL's New York Giants, Guyton has moved into the starting lineup. Linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary is looking for a new top backup, or perhaps more than one. Candidates include Chambers, Taalib Tucker, Shane Bowen and Matt Braman, all of whom have practiced with the second team this preseason.
"We're trying to build that position up right now," Jean-Mary said. "They're still a ways away from being that guy who can come in and be that extra starter as we would term it."
Chambers, who practices mostly at middle linebacker, has the most experience and knowledge of the defense. The key for him is to make tackles and be the productive linebacker Tech needs him to be. Today he will get a big test when Tech practices in full pads for the first time. He said he is about 90 percent healthy and notices a problem only when he makes sharp cuts on his left foot.
"I was a little timid the first few days, but now I'm letting it go," Chambers said Monday. "I let it loose today, and I felt good."
"We're hoping he stays healthy because he's shown some good things here," Jean-Mary said. "We're hoping that can continue once we get in a full-speed situation."
Tucker, No. 2 at weakside linebacker, got to work with the first team in the spring when KaMichael Hall had to sit out. Tucker played mostly on special teams as a freshman and felt he made a big push while getting repetitions with the starters.
"You pick up stuff quicker; you pick up on formations quicker," said Tucker, out of Westlake High. "When you get a lot of reps, you don't think, you just play. I guess you could say I pretty much learned the basics of football, and now I'm just playing."
Jean-Mary said Tucker is still learning the adjustments he has to make based on offensive and defensive formations.
Bowen, No. 2 at strongside linebacker, enrolled in the spring semester but missed most of the spring with an ankle injury. He has looked good, especially in pass coverage, when on the field.
Braman, who has worked at middle linebacker, missed spring practice because of mononucleosis. Like Tucker, he played mostly on special teams as a freshman last fall.
Chambers, Tucker, Bowen, Braman ? at least one of those four is likely to play a lot this fall behind Hall, Guyton and Philip Wheeler.
"We have bodies right now. We just don't have positions," Jean-Mary said. "We still have some questions. The guys know what they have to do."

dirty

EOG Master
Few jobs are open

By Mike Knobler | Monday, August 7, 2006, 03:50 PM
I?ve been covering college football for more than 20 years, and rarely have I seen a preseason where fewer starting jobs are on the line.
Georgia Tech appears to have settled almost every position, with the exception of one cornerback spot, tight end and right offensive guard. The punter and placekicker jobs are locked up, with the big special teams? question coming only at returner.
That?s probably good news for the Yellow Jackets. Barring injuries or surprises, it could mean slow news for those of us in the media over the next couple of weeks.

dirty

EOG Master
Tech has ACC?s attention

By Mike Knobler | Monday, July 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
A few observations from speaking with Joe Anoai and Calvin Johnson this weekend at the ACC football preseason news conference:
Anoai is really excited about his senior season; not just because of the talent on the defensive line and the fact it?s his senior season but also because he finally feels healthy. He said his shoulder and ankle problems meant he was never 100 percent as a junior. He might be the only guy at Georgia Tech who took something good away from that Emerald Bowl game against Utah; the rest between the season and the bowl game allowed him to heal enough that he was able to regain much of his health, and the resulting performance inspired him by reminding him how good he could be.
Johnson continues to give the same answer to the question of what he?ll do after his junior season: ?When I came here I wanted to get my degree. I still want to get my degree from Tech. That?s where I?m headed right now. We?ll see what happens at the end of the year, but that?s still where I?m going.?
I?ve been at ACC media gatherings where the Tech players sat around while reporters interviewed the stars of other teams. That wasn?t the case this year. Calvin Johnson is a big story league-wide, and Tech?s opener against Notre Dame is generating publicity, too.
Permalink | Comments (218) | Post your comment |

dirty

EOG Master
Tech's Riles recovers from back surgery

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/07/06 A year ago, while his Georgia Tech teammates prepared for the season, Wayne Riles went home.
Back surgery had left him with pain not only in his back but up and down the outside of his left leg. The surgeon who operated on Riles told him he wouldn't be able to play football anymore. Tech coach Chan Gailey suggested Riles return to Albany and talk things over with his family.
File
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Tight end Wayne Riles hasn't played since 2003, first because of transfer rules and later two herniated discs.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Riles had a difficult decision to make, a decision Gailey couldn't make for him. Should he get on with the rest of his life? Or should he keep working to stretch and strengthen in the hope that one day it might actually work, and the pain would go away, and he could get back on the field?
The surgeon had said that, even if Riles eventually felt good enough to play, the hits he would take would increase the chances he would need more back surgery later in life. Football, Riles' childhood dream, could leave him in pain for years to come. It looked like he would have to quit.
"That's probably the downest I've ever seen Wayne," said Wayne Riles Sr., who wasn't about to just sit there and see his son's hopes shattered.
They went to the Hughston Clinic in Columbus for a second opinion, sent the MRI images to Wayne's uncle, an orthopedic surgeon, for a third opinion and saw a local chiropractor for a fourth. All three disagreed with the original surgeon's assessment that football meant an increased risk of future problems.
So Wayne Riles decided to keep trying to play, but his frustrations were far from over. Despite all his rehabilitation efforts, the pain remained throughout his sophomore season. He couldn't play. He couldn't practice.
"It just never would get to where I could do anything," he said.
He hadn't played since 2003, his freshman season at Louisville. Coaches there planned to make him a starting tight end in 2004, but Riles decided to transfer closer to home. He knew he would have to sit out a season under NCAA rules. He didn't know a hit he would take in practice would lead to two herniated discs and almost end his career.
Then, nine months after the surgery, something good happened.
"About January I woke up in the morning not noticing it," Riles said. "That's when I started realizing this thing really might recover. I might be able to turn it around."
The pain lessened but didn't disappear. So Wayne Sr. took his son to one more doctor, Albany pain-specialist Lamar Moree.
"His first comment was, 'Wayne, you're going to be playing college football in the fall,' " Wayne Sr. recalled. "Three days later he was running and lifting weights."
Riles felt good enough in spring practice to work out in full pads for a limited number of snaps. He expects to do much more when Tech begins full-pad preseason workouts Tuesday.
"I'll be good to go," Riles said.
"We're on an honesty system," tight ends coach Jeep Hunter said. "He's got to let me know what he can do."
Riles is hopeful but cautious for his junior season. He wants to see how his back holds out through 29 preseason practices of pounding on his 6-foot-4, 252-pound body. The leg pain is gone, and the back pain has been manageable.
"I've always found hard work pays off," he said. "I hope this is the same thing.
"It still has its good days and bad days. I guess I'm about 90 percent. I don't know if I'll be able to get to that 100 percent again. Maybe it'll come."
"I say a little prayer every day and ask the good Lord to keep him injury-free," Wayne Sr. said. But after watching his son cope with back problems for almost two years, Wayne Sr. also asks for one thing more.
"I pray," Wayne Sr. said, "to see him run out that tunnel Sept. 2 against Notre Dame."

dirty

EOG Master
First Practice in Pads is Tuesday Jackets continue preseason drills<!-- remove this block --><script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write('<SCR'); document.write('IPT SRC="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=promo/adsize=x/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/category=m_footbl|spec_rel/location=promo66/pos=promo66/site=geot/acc_random=200608080440119911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979798991041161091081722015200608080440?">'); document.write('</SCR'); document.write('IPT>'); // End Hide --> </script><script src="http://ads.cstv.com/jserver/aamsz=promo/adsize=x/area=sports.mfootbl.specrel/category=m_footbl%7Cspec_rel/location=promo66/pos=promo66/site=geot/acc_random=200608080440119911511211111411611599109991021111111169810899115112101999911410110899999999999999979798991041161091081722015200608080440?"></script><!-- location is richmedia, blank --> <!-- end block --> Aug. 7, 2006
ATLANTA--After four practices without contact, the Georgia Tech football team will practice in full gear for the first time Tuesday in a morning workout scheduled for 9:30 a.m. at Rose Bowl Field.
[Please note, the time for Tuesday's practice is a change from previously published schedules.]
"It's always an interesting day," said Tech head coach Chan Gailey following Monday's practice in shorts and shoulder pads.
Gailey was asked if the Tech offense, which returns is eight starters, is ahead of where he would expect.
"We do have a lot more experience," he said. "I think in many ways we are ahead, but we've got some news things that we're looking at and we've sped up the installation. We have more maturity than we've had in the past, so we're able to do that. The faster you get everything in, the more time you have to polish it. So it doesn't look as clean and crisp as we'd like right now, but we're getting there."
Defensively, Tech must replace three starters in the secondary as well as one linebacker.
"We've got a lot of work to do," said Gailey. "I think the front seven has meshed together better than the back seven. Of course, the linebackers are involved in both of those, and we've still got a lot of work to do."
True freshman cornerback Laurence Marius is trying to make an impact in the secondary.
"He has shown himself very well in the early practices, and we're giving him some reps to see how much he can learn," said Gailey.
Marius, from Key West (Fla.) High School, was one of the most highly-regarded signees in Tech's freshman class.
Gailey announced that true freshman linebacker Osahon Tongo has suffered a season-ending knee injury. Tongo, from Naperville, Ill., was injured in Saturday's practice.

The Yellow Jackets open the season four weeks Sept. 2 when they host third-ranked Notre Dame at Bobby Dodd Stadium/Grant Field (8 p.m., ABC).

PRESEASON PRACTICE SCHEDULE
Subject to Change, Open to the public and media for the first two weeks

Tuesday, Aug. 8 9:30 a.m. (full pads)
Wednesday, Aug. 9 9:30 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 10 4:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 11 9:30 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 12 3:30 p.m.
Monday, Aug. 14 9:30 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 15 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 16 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 17 9:30 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 18 4:15 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 19 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 19 Fan Photo Day, 10 a.m. - 12 noon

--30--

</pre>

dirty

EOG Master
Marius makes impression; Tongo out

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/08/06 Monday brought news good and bad for two Georgia Tech freshmen.
Cornerback Laurence Marius, one of the team's top recruits, is moving up the depth chart, but coach Chan Gailey said of linebacker Osahan Tongo, "It looks like he is lost for the season" with a right knee injury.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Tongo, from Naperville, Ill., underwent an MRI exam Monday. Although Gailey had not yet heard the results, he said preliminary indications were that Tongo tore his ACL in Saturday's practice.
Marius got several snaps with the No. 2 defense while working in 11-on-11 drills, and had an interception and at least one pass breakup while working in red-zone situations as Avery Roberson moved from cornerback to safety at times.
"He has shown himself very well in the early practices," Gailey said. "We're giving him some shots with those groups to see how much he can learn."
Marius, who is from Key West, Fla., is not permitted to speak with the media because he is a freshman and did not enroll early. He is getting a good look in an area of concern. Tech is looking for three new starters in the secondary, and depth as well.
"Most years [the defense is ahead of the offense early in camp]," Gailey said. "This year, it's a lot more even because I think we're replacing so many people in the secondary."
Injured freshman watching, waiting
Freshman Jamaal Evans, expected to be the No. 3 tailback after performing well in the spring, missed his third consecutive practice. His injury is unclear. "I'd rather not talk about it," Evans said.
Gailey, who also hasn't revealed the injury, said it is more severe than first diagnosed.
"It may be another week," he said. "It's not as insignificant as the trainers once thought. We're not going to rush it."
Lineman Lonowski gets back to work
Offensive lineman Jacob Lonowski, who's competing with incumbent Nate McManus at guard, returned to action after being held out Saturday.
His surgically repaired shoulder has bothered him. "Just breaking some scar tissue," he said. "It's going to happen a few times."
Briefly
Tailback Rashaun Grant, receivers Chris Dunlap and Correy Earls and Laurence Marius worked at returning kickoffs. ... Today's practice was changed from
4:30 p.m. to 9:45 a.m. Tech will be in full pads for the first time. The first two-a-day practice is Wednesday.

dirty

EOG Master
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"> Posted Tuesday, August 8 at 3:01 PM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Tech considers playing Georgia Southern
by The Associated Press

ATLANTA - Georgia Tech's new director of athletics, Dan Radakovich, said Tuesday that Tech may agree to play state rival Georgia Southern in football for the first time.

Radakovich, hired in February to head Tech's athletic department, said he has talked with Georgia Southern athletic director Sam Baker about a possible football game between the state schools.

Georgia and I-AA school Georgia Southern have played three times in the last 15 years, and they have another game scheduled for 2008.

Tech has never agreed to play Georgia Southern, but that may change.

``Sam was by my office a few weeks ago and we talked,'' Radakovich told a gathering of Georgia sportswriters.

``I don't know when that might occur down the road, but certainly it's something as we look to fill in dates in schedules in coming years, Georgia Southern will be part of that mix.''

It is not known if Radakovich and Baker narrowed their discussion to a specific year or date.

Baker said Georgia Southern is eager for the chance to play Tech.

``We have had the opportunity to play Georgia,'' Baker said. ``We would love the opportunity to play Georgia Tech in football. We think that a Georgia Tech-Georgia Southern football game would be of great interest throughout the state.''

Each of the three games between Georgia and Georgia Southern have been played in Athens. Georgia has won each of the three games. The first Georgia-Georgia Southern game was in 1992. The most recent game between the two schools was in 2004, and the Bulldogs will play host to Georgia Southern again on Aug. 30, 2008.

For now, Radakovich's focus is on Tech's first football game on his watch. The Yellow Jackets play Notre Dame at Bobby Dodd Stadium on Sept. 2.

``It's a great way to start the year,'' he said. ``We're certainly looking forward to that.''

Radakovich discussed a wide range of topics in his question and answer session with reporters:

He said he would not use Tech's academic standards as a reason the school can't compete for Atlantic Coast Conference championships:

``I don't know that I'll ever have any apologies for the academic requirements at Tech,'' he said. ``They are what they are. They've been successful in the past. ... There's a lot of luck involved in getting in those BCS games when you get right down to it. If the chips fall the right way, I think there is an expectation that we are going to contend for an ACC championship.

``This isn't the ACC where Florida State ran for four years in a row and didn't lose an ACC game. There is much more competition within this conference. There is an expectation. My goal is to compete for championships. I think I've made it clear to all the coaches and certainly to all the student-athletes.''

The top priority for improving facilities on campus is to add a basketball practice building as a complement to Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

``A basketball practice facility is first on the list,'' Radakovich said. ``The (coliseum) is not owned by the athletic association. It is owned by the Institute, and the Institute has the ability to utilize that facility for other activities. We want to make sure that our basketball teams have the ability to utilize a practice facility anytime they need to.''

Radakovich said there is support for a one-game college football championship game, if necessary, following the bowl games.

``I think there is some significant merit to moving forward and examining the plus-one format, utilizing the bowls to come back after those games and saying are there two teams who should play. I think there is some merit to that, but history hasn't shown there is a great need for that.''

The former senior associate athletics director at Louisiana State said LSU did not mind sharing its 2003 national championship with Southern Cal.

``Having been at a school that shared a championship, it wasn't all that bad. The world wasn't knocked off its axis. The folks at Southern Cal certainly had a wonderful football team. The people at LSU did. A few years earlier than that it was Michigan and Nebraska, and everything worked out OK. ... Sometimes it's not all bad to keep people talking.''

He said he looked forward to his first Georgia Tech-Georgia football game and said the Yellow Jackets' five-year losing streak in the series is a hot topic in his meetings with Tech fans.

``If it's not the first thing they talk about, it's in the top five,'' he said. ``What's happened in the past we don't have the ability to change. Last year's game was very competitive as was the year before that. The ball bounces funny ways.''
</td> <!--END STORY//--> </tr> <tr> </tr><tr><td align="left">
?Copyright 2006 AccessNorthGa.com / WDUN News/Talk 550.</td></tr></tbody></table>

AccessNorthGa.com - News Articles: North Georgia's Sporting News Weather and News

dirty

EOG Master
ackets keep families involved
Plan put in motion to deal with injuries

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/09/06 Soon after the phone rang near lunchtime Saturday in the Naperville, Ill., home of Dwin and Esther Tongo, they wished it hadn't.
When the second of your three boys is a freshman linebacker at Georgia Tech, you don't look forward to calls from Tech orthopedist John Xerogeanes.
The Naperville Sun
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Osahon Tongo's family got immediately involved after the freshman linebacker suffered a serious knee injury last week.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> But when you're a college football staff that promised the family of a star recruit to treat their son like one of your own, this is just one of the many steps you go through as soon as something goes wrong.
"Dr. X called, and was very thorough," Esther Tongo said. "I asked, 'Where is Osahon now?' He said, 'He's right here.' Osahon was really macho about it."
Her son tore the ACL in his right knee, yet Tongo might be in less pain than others in his family.
"We were all freaking out, and he said, 'I think I'll be OK; I'll just have to redshirt,' " his mother said. "He's the one holding everybody together. He said, 'Mom, I'm OK. Get yourself together.' "
Tongo's father, who traveled to Atlanta, and a member of the Tech staff took him to his 2 p.m. surgery Tuesday. School officials began caring for him ? and his family ? almost as soon as he was carried from the field Saturday morning when they contacted his parents, the first of at least three calls that day.
As a recently enrolled freshman, Tongo is not allowed to speak with reporters.
Coach Chan Gailey has spoken with Mr. and Mrs. Tongo, and so have head athletic trainer Jay Shoop and linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary, who recruited him. "It's very important," Gailey said. "We end up recruiting families here so we try to stay in close contact with them."
Tongo's mother said her son has never had a serious injury.
"It was a shock, and disappointment," she said. "Shock in the fact that I didn't expect it to happen . . . and then how bad is it? Everything went through my mind as a parent. Then, the other part was how disappointed I was for Osahon because Osahon was looking forward to contributing right away, or as soon as he could.
"It was Jean-Mary who called [second], and I think that was the most difficult call he could have made. It was like, 'Mrs. Tongo, I told you we will take care of your son. How are you?' I said 'OK' and 'How are you?' He said, 'I've had better days.' I think it shook up everybody."
Shoop called Mr. and Mrs. Tongo ? Nigerian natives who had Osahon when they were in graduate school at Purdue ? later Saturday.
"As soon as we got a good clinical exam on him, we knew it was a serious injury. At that point, we called his family," Shoop said. "We told them the preliminary finding, and that we'd follow up with an MRI to confirm.
"I let them know we're going to take good care of him. We have good people, and since he's so far from home, we kind of become the second mom and dad."
Shoop, Xerogeanes and other staffers lay out the plan, including rehabilitation, for families.
Tongo is expected to stay in the hospital a day or two, and Jean-Mary and other members of the Tech staff will visit and stay in touch with his family.
"In this situation, it would typically be me," Shoop said. "We will probably call once a week for two or three weeks until we get him walking again. We'll let them know this will be a six- to nine-month rehab. This year, he'll be concentrated on academics and rehabilitation. He's going to miss football, but it's really going to give him a chance to get ahead academically.
"If there are emotional or psychological needs, we have [professionals] on campus. Hopefully, that's not needed, but we're ready to help if necessary."
NCAA rules do not allow schools to pay for travel expenses for family members in instances like this. But Tech compliance director Paul Parker said a "student opportunity fund" overseen by the ACC with NCAA approval may be utilized on a case-by-case basis depending on factors, including family need.
Parents sometimes seek an outside opinion, although the Tongos did not. "It seems like it's happening more and more, but we try to tell them we have good people. We don't discourage it," Shoop said. "We're in the Emory system, which is one of the best systems in the Southeast."
Mrs. Tongo believes a mother's care is best, and will visit her son in a few days (she shuttled a younger son to a golf tournament near Chicago on Tuesday).
It was hard to tell if she was joking when she said, "If I find a place to stay [in Atlanta], I'm not coming back to Chicago. I will come frequently. Osahon has to tell me what he wants because I don't want to be overbearing."

dirty

EOG Master
2006 Preview: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
<script> function BlogThisStoryTools() { var headline = "2006 Preview: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets"; var url = document.location.href; var destination = "http://blogs.foxsports.com/BlogThis.aspx?r_title=" + escape(headline) + "&r_url=" + url; //alert(destination); //return; window.location.href = destination; } </script> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr align="center"> <td style="padding-right: 5px;" align="left">Story Tools:</td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td>
</td> <td> Print </td> <td> Email </td> <td> Blog This </td> <td> Subscribe </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="440"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td> Pete Fiutak / CollegeFootballNews.com
<!-- Meta Tag For Search --> <!-- meta name="author" content="Pete Fiutak"--> <!-- meta name="source" content="CFN"--> <!-- meta name="eventId" content=""--> <!-- meta name="contentTypeCode" content="1"--> <!-- meta name="editorContentCode" content="1"--> <!-- meta name="blurb" content="Will Georgia Tech ever be a true contender? At this point, you know what you're going to get from Yellow Jacket football. It'll be a good, competitive team that can beat anyone in America, and then a maddening performance will come out of the blue proving the program can't break through the ceiling. 119 teams in 119 days continues."--> <!-- meta name="modDate" content="August 9, 2006 01:44:48 GMT"--> Posted: 5 hours ago <script> // front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.display = 'none'; </script> </td> <td width="10"> </td> <td align="right"> <!--this is for sponsorships or brandings--> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td><!-- workingCategoryId: 24-->
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table class="bdy" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="770"> <tbody><tr><td height="5">
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <table class="bdy" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="770"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="10">
</td> <td width="440"> <!-- search:</noindex> --> <script> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </script> Full Preview | Offense | Defense | Depth Chart | Analysis

[SIZE=-1]Will Georgia Tech ever be a true contender? [/SIZE] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] At this point, you know what you're going to get from Yellow Jacket football. It'll be a good, competitive team that can play with and beat anyone in America if all the parts are clicking, and then a maddening performance or three that'll come out of the blue proving once again that the program can't break through the ceiling. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] For instance, last year the defense came up with masterpieces to beat Auburn and Miami, arguably the most impressive pair of road wins by anyone in America, and lost to mediocre teams like NC State and Virginia and got bombed by Virginia Tech and, most stunningly, by Utah in a miserable Emerald Bowl showing. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] To be fair, it's not exactly easy to keep the shelves stocked when recruiting against the rest of the ACC while residing in downtown SECville, but this year's team has the experience and the right mix of good veterans in key positions to potentially pull off a run like Virginia Tech did in 2004 and with the ACC title. [/SIZE][/FONT]
<table class="bgBdr" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="200"> <tbody><tr class="bgHdr1" align="center"> <td colspan="6"> Georgia Tech
Yellow Jackets

</td> </tr> <tr class="bgHdr2" align="center"> <td> Team Information
</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> Head coach: Chan Gailey
6th year: 28-22
Returning Lettermen:
Off. 23, Def. 21, ST 3
Lettermen Lost: 9
</td></tr> <tr class="bgHdr2" align="center"> <td> Ten Best Players
</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> 1. WR Calvin Johnson, Jr.
2. LB KaMichael Hall, Sr.
3. LB Philip Wheeler, Soph.
4. CB Kenny Scott, Sr.
5. DT Joe Anoai, Sr.
6. QB Reggie Ball, Sr.
7. OT Andrew Gardner, Soph.
8. OT Mansfield Wrotto, Sr.
9. DT Darryl Richard, Soph.
10. DE Adamm Oliver, Jr.
</td></tr> <tr class="bgHdr2" align="center"> <td> 2006 Schedule
</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"> 9/2 Notre Dame
9/9 Samford
9/16 Troy
9/21 Virginia
9/30 at Virginia Tech
10/7 Maryland
10/21 at Clemson
10/28 Miami
11/4 at NC State
11/11 at North Carolina
11/18 Duke
11/25 at Georgia
<hr width="100%"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
[SIZE=-1]Chan Gailey coached teams are always going to be tough defensively, but a head man who was an NFL offensive coordinator has to get more out of his attack and there needs to be more explosion. [/SIZE] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] Tech's offense was stunningly average getting no consistent pop with the passing game revolving around how many ways Reggie Ball could try forcing the ball to a blanket-covered Calvin Johnson. A few more big plays should mean a realistic shot at the Coastal Division title, and they should come this season with nine returning starters and one of the league's best offensive lines. Ball doesn't have to be Vince Young, but it's not a stretch to think the four-year starter can't be what Bryan Randall was to the Hokies a few years ago.

[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]Defensively, help is needed in the secondary, but the pass rush should ease the burden. Besides, few ACC teams can kill you with a passing game. The front seven should be a rock against the run led by a deep and talented line that'll get better and better as the season goes on. So yeah, you know Tech is going to be rock solid yet again. If the next step isn't taken this year, it might never happen under Gailey.
[/SIZE]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]The Schedule: It's a tough schedule, but not a killer. Tech will know right off the bat where it stands against a Notre Dame team that'll test the shaken up secondary, but that's the start of a nice four game homestand to ease the way into the season. A road trip to Virginia Tech could make or break division title hopes, while a nasty stretch of at Clemson, Miami, at NC State and at North Carolina will push the Yellow Jackets over the second half of the year. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] Best Offensive Player: [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]Junior WR Calvin Johnson. Great college football superstars make things happen no matter what. Johnson might have first round NFL talent, but he has to show he can be unstoppable and can always get open. It would also help if QB Reggie Ball was more consistent and if an adequate number two receiver could emerge.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] Best Defensive Player: Senior LB KaMichael Hall and sophomore LB Philip Wheeler. They put up identical stats, they made just as many big plays, and they can play any spot in the linebacking corps. They'll form the nucleus of a tremendous front seven and should be in the mix for All-ACC honors.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] Key player to a successful season: Senior QB Reggie Ball. A four year starting quarterback is supposed to be able to take a team on his back and produce. Georgia Tech doesn't need Ball to be an All-American, just a chain-moving, good decision making playmaker who comes through clutch when he has to and doesn't screw up.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] The season will be a success if ... Georgia Tech finishes second in the Coastal Division. There are a few too many holes to expect a division title, but there's no reason not to go 6-2 in conference play and be in the mix right up until the very end. A good bowl game showing would be nice after last year's disaster.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] Key game: September 30th at Virginia Tech. Last season's trip to Blacksburg was supposed to be a statement game. One 51-7 Hokie win later and Georgia Tech was never quite the same. A Yellow Jacket victory this season would change the face of the Coastal Division and would make the October 28th showdown against Miami one of the biggest games of the year.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] 2005 Fun Stats:
- Sacks: Georgia Tech 36 for 257 yards - Opponents 10 for 84 yards
- Interceptions (taken away): Georgia Tech 21 - Opponents 12
- Third down conversion percentage: Georgia Tech 71 of 198 (36%) - Opponents 49 of 171 (29%)
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] The Last Time Georgia Tech?
?played in a bowl game?2005 (Emerald Bowl vs. Utah)
?missed a bowl game?1996
?pitched a shutout?2000 (Virginia)
?was shutout?1997 (Florida State)
?scored 50 points?2004 (Syracuse)
?went undefeated?1990
?won a conference title?1998 (share, ACC)
?had a 3,000-yard passer?2001 (George Godsey)
?had a 1,000-yard rusher?2003 (P.J. Daniels)
?had a 1,000-yard receiver?2003 (Jonathan Smith)
?had a first-round draft choice?1998 (LB Keith Brooking)
[/FONT]
<hr width="90%"> [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]For more previews, predictions and prognostications, go to CollegeFootballNews.com.[/FONT]
</td></tr></tbody></table>

dirty

EOG Master
Johnson injury not thought to be serious

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/09/06 All-American wide receiver Calvin Johnson and two other Georgia Tech starters left practice Wednesday morning, but coach Chan Gailey said he did not believe the left leg injury to Johnson, a right leg injury to wide receiver James Johnson or a left foot injury to cornerback Kenny Scott were serious.
As the Yellow Jackets began two-a-day sessions Wednesday, it was unclear whether any of the players would practice in the afternoon.
Calvin Johnson limped off the field a little more than one hour into a 75-minute session after running a pass route, and trainers examined his left knee/quad, eventually taping ice to it.
Scott and James Johnson left practice first, and none of them returned.
"[Calvin's] fine," Gailey said. "I don't know [if they'll practice in the afternoon]. I haven't talked to trainers, and we'll have to see. Really, none of them were new, they were all just things that have been tweaked."
Calvin Johnson and Kenny Scott declined to be interviewed, but sent word through a Tech media relations official that they were, "fine."
James Johnson said of his right quad/knee, which was wrapped in ice, "It's nothing, a little crampage. It just started cramping."
Scott, who was replaced by Avery Roberson, "came into camp with [a bothersome left foot]," Gailey said. "It's been bothering him. He's tried to play through it, and it bothered him a little bit."

dirty

EOG Master
GEORGIA TECH REPORT
Backup Walker still ready to go

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/09/06 Vance Walker had practiced all week, but as Georgia Tech's game against UConn wore on and he stayed on the sidelines, he figured maybe he would wind up redshirting after all.
Then a coach called his name, and he took the field for four plays, and he knew right then he would have to work harder than ever in practice. After all, who wants to burn a year of eligibility for four plays a game?
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> He needn't have worried. When Joe Anoai got hurt the next week at Virginia Tech, Walker's playing time shot up. By the time the season ended, Walker had made 15 tackles, second only to linebacker Gary Guyton among the Yellow Jackets' backups.
Monday morning, when Anoai had to leave practice early because of the heat, Walker stepped right in with the first team at defensive tackle. He said he's better than he was last season, when he emerged as the sleeper in Tech's recruiting class.
"I'm a lot better with my hands. If I see a lineman put their hands up, I'm quick to knock them down. I believe I'm a lot quicker, too. And I've put on 10 pounds, so that helps," said Walker, now 270 pounds.
"My main goal was to get faster. I understand I can't be the strongest lineman in the world. Offensive linemen are probably going to be stronger. But they aren't going to be as quick, so I use that to my advantage."
There's another big difference between Walker as a sophomore and as a freshman. He knows the defensive line calls and what he's supposed to do on each play.
"I had no idea what was going on last year," Walker said. "I was getting yelled at every day. It was horrible."
"He's had a good fall so far," Tech coach Chan Gailey said. "He's going to be a very good player before it's over with. I would have liked to have redshirted him last year, but we had to put him into action, and he responded well. He's come a long way in a short period of time."
Preliminaries begin for game vs. Eagles
Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern have spoken about playing a football game for the first time, Yellow Jackets athletics director Dan Radakovich said Tuesday.
"We concluded that we will stay in touch and will revisit the idea later this fall," Radakovich said.
Two right guards left unavailable
Tech's top two options at right guard were unavailable by the end of Tuesday's practice, with backup Jacob Lonowski banged up and starter Nate McManus driven back to the locker room early because of the heat. LeShawn Newberry made the most of his chance to practice with the starters. "I thought he was one of the bright spots of the team workout there today," coach Chan Gailey said.
Briefly
Jacob Lonowski is coming off shoulder surgery. "He may be in and out here for a while just trying to recover," coach Chan Gailey said. ... Receiver Xavier McGuire left practice early with an ankle injury. ... Running back Jamaal Evans isn't expected back practicing until Monday. ... Tuesday was Tech's first day in full pads, but there wasn't much hitting. Gailey wanted to give players a chance to acclimate to the heat with all their gear. ... Today is the first day of two-a-days.

dirty

EOG Master
GEORGIA TECH REPORT
Starting fullback may miss opener

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/10/06 Starting fullback Mike Cox injured his left shoulder Wednesday and might have to miss the season opener Sept. 2 against Notre Dame.
Coach Chan Gailey said there's a 60 percent chance Cox will be able to play.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Cox's injury was one of four suffered by Tech starters on Wednesday. Receiver Calvin Johnson came out of Wednesday morning's practice with ice above his left knee. Gailey said he will return Monday at the latest.
Cornerback Kenny Scott had ice on his left foot and receiver James Johnson had an ice on his right hamstring.
None of those three players participated in the second practice session Wednesday.
Meanwhile, every injury to a starter means an opportunity for a backup. Chris Dunlap and Greg Smith got more chances at
receiver, and Avery Roberson stepped up at cornerback. Roberson, a sophomore, also might play safety in Jon Tenuta's defense.
"It really doesn't matter. I'll basically play anywhere he'll put me," Roberson said. "If somebody goes down I'll be in there. You never know what will happen."
Said Gailey: "We're working him both places and just seeing where is going to be the best."
In addition to the absent starters, receiver Xavier McGuire and offensive lineman Jacob Lonowski were not in shoulder pads because of ankle and shoulder injuries, respectively. Backup linebacker Taalib Tucker also sat out contact drills Wednesday afternoon.
Changes for Eagles could hasten match
If Georgia Tech ends up playing Georgia Southern for the first time, fans can thank the Eagles' new coach. Brian VanGorder's decision to scrap the Eagles' option offense in favor of a more conventional attack makes his team a more attractive nonconference opponent for Tech. Playing an option team requires a lot of practice time that doesn't pay dividends against non-option teams.
"If you can help it, and we could, you didn't want to play something that created real problems for you in a week's time of preparation," Gailey said.
Tech and Georgia Southern have had preliminary conversations about scheduling a game and plan to discuss it again later this fall.
Speakers on line for preseason feast
Tech athletics director Dan Radakovich and radio voice Wes Durham are scheduled to speak at the Marietta Georgia Tech Club preseason barbecue Sunday at Oakton, 581 Kennesaw Ave.
The event starts at 5 p.m. and costs $15 per person or $40 per family. RSVP to Kelly McNabb at 770-818-1424 or GTMariettaClub@hotmail.com.
Eighteen achieve academic honors
Eighteen Tech football players made the ACC's academic honor roll by achieving a 3.0 or better grade-point average for the 2005-06 academic year, the league announced.
Among those honored were starters Travis Bell, Tashard Choice, Darryl Richard, Kevin Tuminello and former starter Chris Reis. Bell, Reis and Tuminello were third-time honorees.
Golf's Mike Barbosa and track's Adam Jones were five-time honorees.

dirty

EOG Master
Experienced offense absorbs quickly

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/10/06 The season won't start for 23 more days, but Georgia Tech already is faster on offense than last year in ways that make practice sometimes look like the Notre Dame game is right around the corner, rather than Sept. 2.
After only five practices, many drills no longer appear simple because on offense, "We've got some new installation schedules," coach Chan Gailey said. "We've sped up."
Johnny Crawford / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption"> As a fourth-year starter, quarterback Reggie Ball is expected to react to what defenses do.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Simply put, the Yellow Jackets are installing plays faster instead of spending more time repeating a lesser number. "We've hit red-zone [work] faster than we've ever hit it," Gailey said. "We've hit third downs faster than we've ever hit it. We're going to hit two-minute faster than we've ever hit it."
Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, whose role has expanded, said the play list for the Notre Dame game won't necessarily be bigger because of this. Hopefully, though, it will be better.
"I don't think it's necessarily true we'll have more plays for the first game. It does give us more variety to choose from [for the game plan]," he said. "We're able to get a lot more in early this year, which gives us a greater variety to choose from for the first game."
The reasoning behind the acceleration is simple: The Yellow Jackets are experienced on offense. "We have more maturity than in the past, so we can get more in and then polish as time goes on," Gailey said.
Quarterback Reggie Ball is a fourth-year starter, there are four returning starters on the line, a third-year starter in wide receiver Calvin Johnson, two experienced junior running backs in Tashard Choice and Rashaun Grant, plus experience elsewhere at tight end and wide receiver.
Choice said, "We understand the plays we run, and it's about understanding what the defense gives us and being able to capitalize."
That is critical.
The success of a play is largely attributable to players making decisions on the move. They must decide whom to block, and at what angles. For example, sometimes a player should bypass one defender and go for another while trusting a teammate to quickly come along and block the first defender.
"That's what football is, making a decision on the run. The guys who can do that are good, and the guys who can't, struggle," Nix said. "You have the base play, and then it changes based on what the defense does. The saying is in life, it's 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond to it.
"It's the same with offense. It's 10 percent what the defense does, and 90 percent how you respond. Audibles and checks are not a big part of what we do. We're fortunate we've got some experienced guys who've seen this before, so they can make adjustments on the run pretty well, even after the ball's snapped."
Left tackle Andrew Gardner, a returning starter, said, "It's definitely going faster. As far as the linemen, four of us have been here and started and are going into at least our third year in the program. We already know a lot, so instead of correcting who you're supposed to block, you're able to [work on] correct technique and getting to the right spot."
They're getting there sooner, Nix said. "Our guys are doing a much better job of knowing if that [defender] goes here, and this [defender] goes there, here's how we're going to block it, how we're going to adjust to it. We're a lot further along than we have been."

dirty

EOG Master
Fullback depth a concern for Jackets

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/11/06 Mike Cox's shoulder injury in Wednesday's afternoon practice exposed Tech's lack of depth at fullback. The Jackets entered preseason practice with Matt Kamp, a redshirt freshman walk-on, listed as Cox's only backup.
If Cox can't play against Notre Dame ? and coach Chan Gailey said there's a 40 percent chance he won't ? Tech is likely to lean more heavily toward its many formations without a fullback.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "It changes [the offense] some, yes, it does," Gailey said Thursday. "Anytime you lose a good football player out of the scheme, it changes what you do. You just try to adjust to the guys you've got and try to use their abilities.
"Normally, when you have enough time like this, it's easy. When it happens on Wednesday of game week, that's when it bothers you."
In many ways, Cox has been like a tight end lining up in the backfield or, sometimes, at receiver. He had no carries in 2005, when he started 10 games, but caught 13 passes and delivered a lot of big blocks.
"We've got enough tight ends that we would look at using them in that role as well," Gailey said. "When we get to actual game plan [for the opener on Sept. 2], we'll have a much better idea where Michael is. We'll make those adjustments at that point."
Receiver cautious day after cramping
Receiver James Johnson returned to practice Thursday after suffering cramps in his right hamstring Wednesday. He went through individual drills but stayed out of seven-on-seven and full-squad practice.
"I didn't want to push too hard, because I've had a lot of hamstring injuries before," said Johnson, who missed the spring with a hamstring injury but said it won't take him long to get back to full-speed once he's healthy.
"We've been [practicing] all summer, and I know the offense. Everybody wants you to take it slow because they want you ready for the season, but me personally, I want to get in there and get some reps so I can get used to it before the season starts."
Gailey wants him back soon, too. Summer workouts in shorts are no substitute for preseason practice, he said.
"They're running around in shorts all summer. They don't have their pads on," Gailey said. "The timing's different. The looks are different. Linemen are in the way [once practice begins]. There is a timing aspect to it that you have to get in summer practice, so yes, it is important for him to be there. You lose some of that if you don't have [practice]."
Second backup tackle out with injury
Redshirt freshman offensive tackle Cord Howard will be out "for a while" following an injury near the close of practice Wednesday, Gailey said. Howard is the second backup tackle to get hurt, following redshirt freshman Will Miller. ... Kicker Travis Bell connected on a 52-yard field goal Wednesday and was long enough, but just wide, from 57 on Thursday. "To me he's totally back in the groove from his freshman year," Gailey said.

dirty

EOG Master
GEORGIA TECH REPORT
Gailey unhappy with offense

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/13/06 It's normal for the defense to be ahead of the offense 10 days into summer camp, but Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey was concerned that his offense was abnormally stagnant in a full-tackle scrimmage Saturday in Bobby Dodd Stadium.
Being behind the defense, which relies on reading and reacting more than timing and assignments like the offense, is one thing. Rushing 35 times for 49 yards, and completing just nine of 29 passes is another.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "Obviously, we had some guys hurt on offense, but I was disappointed in how the offense performed," Gailey said. "Our defense was way ahead today, and they played well and dominated in every phase."
Gailey's somewhat noted for his optimism, but that role was left to offensive coordinator Patrick Nix Saturday.
"Concerns? I don't have concerns. I believe we'll watch the tape and see things we did good, and things we did bad and work on things we did bad and keep improving on things we did good," he said. "I don't believe in concerns. If I had concerns, I wouldn't sleep real well at night. I sleep real well at night, every night, so we just take what happens and keep working.
"A lot of it is personnel. You're not going to scheme in a scrimmage against your own guys. When you get that one healthy guy back, you're going to be fine."
Starting quarterback Reggie Ball completed five of 16 passes for 43 yards, backup Taylor Bennett two of eight for 80 yards (both being 40-yard touchdowns).
But they were off limits to defenders, meaning some plays were blown dead as soon as a defender touched them when they had the ball.
"By controlling the quarterbacks, you limit our offense somewhat," Gailey said. "But that still doesn't negate the fact that we've got to get better."
At times, the offense appeared simplified, but Nix said he did not keep it that way for fear that opening-day opponent Notre Dame might have had somebody in the stands watching.
"I don't [simplify for that reason]," he said. "They got to know when you call a play, and what play and everything else so I don't worry about that."
Play of the day
No play was better than Bennett's 40-yard touchdown pass to redshirt freshman wide receiver Greg Smith, who beat tight coverage down the left sideline by reserve safety Sam Williams.
"Greg Smith, he's a great worker and he got a lot faster in the offseason," Bennett said.
Gailey added: "Sometimes, when you have more confidence, you play faster. I think he's playing faster just from spring to here."
Calvin's comeback
All-American wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who has a left knee/quad injury, was in pads, but did not participate in the scrimmage. Gailey said he expects him back in practice Monday (the Jackets are off Sunday).
"We ran him through individuals just to see how he looked, and he looked good to me," Gailey said. "I don't think he had any side effects."
Wrotto hurt
Starting senior right tackle Mansfield Wrotto left the scrimmage with a left foot or ankle injury. He was replaced by redshirt sophomore A.J. Smith, who also has worked at backing up left tackle Andrew Gardner.
Injury report
Among the players out injured were starting right guard Nate McManus, his backup, Jacob Lonowski (shoulder), starting fullback Mike Cox (shoulder), reserve wide receiver Xavier McGuire (ankle), starting cornerback Jahidi Word-Daniels (right leg) and reserve defensive end Michael Johnson, who'd been in both practices Friday.
"[Word-Daniels, who was replaced by Avery Roberson], the jury's still out," Gailey said. "Dr. [Xerogeanes] was here today to look at him. Lonowski may be a little bit longer than McManus."
Tight end Wayne Riles was back in action.
More numbers
Starting tailback Tashard Choice rushed eight times for 17 yards, Rashaun Grant five times for 15, and freshman Jamaal Evans five times for -1. ... Senior wide receiver Chris Dunlap had four receptions for 35 yards, including a touchdown.
Special teams
New snapper Bret White had one poor snap on a field goal attempt, and new holder (and punter) Durant Brooks was a little slow getting a hold down on a 50-yard attempt that Travis Bell left well short.
Extra points
Freshman cornerback Laurence Marius had an interception, and worked with the first unit as the kickoff returner, although Gailey said that was not an indication he will be in that position against Notre Dame.

dirty

EOG Master
Tech's Scott gets help in secondary

By MIKE KNOBLER
Published on: 08/13/06 You didn't have to be a football genius to know Georgia Tech's biggest area of concern heading into this preseason.
Only one starter returned in the secondary. To make matters worse, three first-teamers missed all or part of spring practice because of injuries, and one of those players was out for the season. It didn't take much imagination to picture 2006 starting the way 2005 ended, with an opponent throwing for 381 yards and four touchdowns.
Phil Skinner / AJC
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Cornerback Kenny Scott is the only returning starter ? and the lone senior? in the Jackets' secondary.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Things look a lot better now. Ten days into Tech's preseason, the Yellow Jackets have found a pass defense that shows signs of being able to compete when Notre Dame visits Bobby Dodd Stadium Sept. 2.
Quarterbacks completed just 9 of 29 passes Saturday in Tech's first scrimmage. Seven of the first eight passes fell incomplete. The other was intercepted.
The defensive backs got a lot of help from the front seven. Adamm Oliver, Darryl Richard, Philip Wheeler and Gary Guyton all got into the backfield quickly to sack or pressure Reggie Ball.
Things went so well early in the scrimmage that Jon Tenuta, the defensive coordinator and secondary coach, couldn't find much to yell about until cornerback Kenny Scott ran out of his shoe on one play and was a little slow in putting it back on. There were a couple of long passes later in the scrimmage and a missed tackle here and there, but the defensive backfield more than held its own.
"Everybody's just getting at it," said Scott, the returning starter and lone senior in the defensive backfield. "I've just got to get those guys ready to play week in and week out."
Scott was the one sure thing heading into this season, and he played like it.
"He's the leader back there," Tech coach Chan Gailey said. "He's got so much experience. He's very confident. There's no telling how good he can be. If he'll keep working and doing the little things right, he can be a very, very good corner before it's over with."
The surprise is the play of Scott's teammates. Jamal Lewis switched from cornerback to strong safety when Joe Gaston got hurt in the spring and really took to his new position. Lewis played nickel back as a sophomore.
"I think that really helped him make the adjustment [to strong safety]," Gailey said. "Once he realized in spring practice that he was going to have to be that guy, he got a little more physical and stronger, too."
Said Scott: "We've got a safety who covers like a corner and hits like a safety, so that's going to help our defense out a lot."
Converted receiver Pat Clark would start at nickel back if the season began today. Clark was covering Greg Smith one-on-one when Smith caught a 40-yard touchdown pass and appeared to be in position to make a play. On Saturday's first completion, Clark tipped the ball up, and Chris Dunlap caught the deflection.
"If Pat just catches the ball instead of tipping it up, he makes another big play," Gailey said. "He's made quite a few all spring."
Djay Jones manned the free safety position and had only one glaring breakdown, a missed tackle that allowed Dunlap to score. Avery Roberson, who could be Tech's top backup at safety and corner, started Saturday at the corner opposite Scott. Jahi Word-Daniels, who had been starting there, sat out the second consecutive day with what Tech hopes is a minor knee ailment.
Freshmen don't usually play much in the secondary, but Laurence Marius already has displayed so much athleticism he could be an exception. Marius made the day's lone interception.
"He's talented," receiver Martin Frierson said. "He has what it takes."
"He's a very good young player," Scott said. "With a little time and technique, he could be one of the better corners to come out of this school."

dirty

EOG Master
ech kicker: Lowered tee no problem

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Published on: 08/13/06 Despite the NCAA's best intentions, Mohamed Yahiaoui's still teeing it up, even if he's being forced to tee it down.
Georgia Tech's kickoff specialist said he doesn't mind a new rule lowering the kicking tee from two inches to one.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> "I'm kicking it farther off the one-inch, I think," the sophomore from Roswell said. "Actually, I like it better."
Several rules changes this year are designed to speed up games, including one calling for the clock to start as soon as the ball is kicked off rather than once the return team advances it. Beyond that, NCAA officials decided to try to increase the number of returns.
NFL data suggested moving the kickoff back to the 30-yard line did less to increase the number of returnable kicks than dropping the height of the tee, so the NCAA opted to change the tee.
"As a placekicker, I'm used to kicking off the ground so it's no big deal," said Tech's Travis Bell, who usually kicks field goals and PATs but occasionally kicks off, too.
Twelve of Yahiaoui's 32 kickoffs last season were touchbacks (read: clock-killers). He's aiming for improvement this season.
"I've been practicing all summer, and I think I've just gotten used to it and my leg is stronger," he said. "I think I'm getting it higher now, too. I'm kicking most of them 5 [yards] deep in the end zone."

dirty

EOG Master
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"> Updated Saturday, August 12 at 9:09 PM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Defense dominates in first Georgia Tech scrimmage
by The Associated Press

ATLANTA - The Georgia Tech defense had the upper hand in the team's first preseason scrimmage Saturday.

While the defense is usually ahead of the offense in the early days of practice, coach Chan Gailey was not pleased.

``Our defense was way ahead today, more so than I had anticipated,'' Gailey said. ``They got after it and dominated in every phase. Obviously we had some guys out on offense, but I was disappointed in how the offense performed. We've got to better our execution to get where we need to be.''

Defensive ends Darrell Robertson and Adamm Oliver made big plays, and Tech's rebuilt secondary performed well. Freshman Laurence Marius had an interception, Pat Clark nearly made another one and Kenny Scott had another impressive outing.

``I was impressed with the way they played,'' Gailey said. ``I think our tackling was OK, but that first group defended the pass really well. If Pat catches the ball instead of tipping it up, he makes another big play, and he's made quite a few.''

Star receiver Calvin Johnson was held out as he recovers from a minor injury. He participated in individual drills before the scrimmage and is expected to be back at full speed on Monday.

The offense also was missing two other starters, fullback Mike Cox and right guard Nathan McManus. That's no excuse, Gailey said.

``Obviously there are some guys banged up, but that could happen in games,'' he said. ``You've got to be ready to execute no matter who's in the game.''

Chris Dunlap and Greg Smith stepped up at wide receiver. Dunlap had four receptions, including a 13-yard touchdown from Reggie Ball, while Smith caught a 40-yard touchdown from Taylor Bennett.

Tight end Colin Peek took a short pass from Bennett and eluded tacklers down the sideline for a 40-yard scoring play. Walk-on Tyler Davis also had a touchdown catch.

Oliver, Robertson, Vance Walker, Taalib Tucker and Sam Williams were credited with sacks. Robertson and Oliver also knocked down passes at the line of scrimmage.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
</td> <!--END STORY//--> </tr> <tr> </tr><tr><td align="left">
?Copyright 2006 AccessNorthGa.com / WDUN News/Talk 550.</td></tr></tbody></table>