Do local bookmakers get crushed...

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
Sometimes the bm's just get crushed because they cannot balance, especially locals. You get the most bet games, NFL primetime, and one square favorite looks unbeatable. They write everything on that side, because the public is convinced it is the right side. They follow the sharps, who think it is the right side early. You start getting 20-1 action, 20 bets on chalk, one on dog. You move the number and risk getting middled. You leave it there and get continuous one sided action. Even sharp books dread the Sunday night and MNF, they are the highest volume, and the only show in that time slot. Bm's can and will fail if they cannot balance, get a flood of one sided action, and cannot layoff. When those games hit, it has a huge negative impact.

Best Wishes...OFturndevil

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
OMNIVOROUS FROG said:
Sometimes the bm's just get crushed because they cannot balance, especially locals. You get the most bet games, NFL primetime, and one square favorite looks unbeatable. They write everything on that side, because the public is convinced it is the right side. They follow the sharps, who think it is the right side early. You start getting 20-1 action, 20 bets on chalk, one on dog. You move the number and risk getting middled. You leave it there and get continuous one sided action. Even sharp books dread the Sunday night and MNF, they are the highest volume, and the only show in that time slot. Bm's can and will fail if they cannot balance, get a flood of one sided action, and cannot layoff. When those games hit, it has a huge negative impact.

The local books I know could lose a month of Sunday and Monday Night Football games and their players would still be losers! But we are talking about back east and oh yeah, out west! Maybe your locals should take a correspondance course or something Senor Frog! But then again, I've only been around this a short while- I haven't had a big bm background like the guys at Big Blue!

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
Not sure about all of that. Just know what my locals tell me. Everything they made on Sat and Sun got eaten up on primetime games, week after week. Two were close to going under. Slowly thier balancing players migrated offshore, but the squares stay with them, because it is just recreational to them. So they lost the balancing sharps. On the flip side is when a team is doing badly, look at the Raiders and 49ers last year. Every player faded them, week after week. Local teams that the players knew were just bad. I think last year was an anamoly, especially all of the chalk. But we will soon see. One book is cutting his 2 team parlays to 12/5. and charging -1.20 on totals. Already got a daytime job during last year. I would say years ago I ran 30-40% through locals. Now, less than 5%. These guys just did not forget how to book after 20 years. It was one helluva football season, and the primetimes were just brutal. Maybe they are just dinosaurs who can't adjust to the current climate. The offshores are the meteor to accelerate the extinction. I think times are a changin.

Last edited: