Computer Video Games....I'm A Newbie - Any Advice On The Cool Ones?

I bought a new latest and greatest desktop last month and I thought I might make the plunge into the video game arena.....need some help on the cool ones and the not so cool ones.

Thanks, Glaken

PONG still rocks. Congrats on the new computer BTW. Mostly play XBOX however if you like sports games MVP Baseball 2005 for the PC is a must have. I have yet to find a major flaw in that game. The only thing I could come up with is some pitchers throw a 86 MPH Changeup and top out at 85MPH with a fastball.

Right now Guild Wars is the hot one. Have to play online, but since you are on all the time shouldn't be an issue.

Also Battlefield another online game, more mature basically a historical war time game.
Dungeon Siege II the newest one to come out. Can play online or stand alone, a lot like Diablo. Online is a little slow right now since it is so new and not a lot of people have it, but even offline it has a lot to offer.

BTW what kind of video card are you running in it? If it is stock it might not be the best for the games I listed. They will play, but slow or choppy.

bosox1086

EOG Member
Pirates! from Sid Meier. An all timer. Played it years ago for hours and hours on the C64. Top 5 all time favorite.

There is a Fry's Electronics Mega store close to me where you can play the games on their computers before you buy them .... I'm gonna check it out.....plus I have never had a PS2 or xbox .... I have always been on the go and I'm a jogger and try and hit the gym 4 times a week, but now I thought I might give them a try.

JJ you are wrong for saying that there is no comparison between Computer Gaming and Xbox.

Glacken it depends what kind off games you like the most. First person shooters? Then give Half Life 2 a try.

Guild Wars is a waste of like just like World of Warcraft. You can call it crack because it's so addictive. Trust me you don't want to get into it.

Btw what kind off video card do you have. You have to know before you buy the game because it might lag with your current card.

Go to www.gamespy.com and under PC check Revies for the new releases.

daringly

EOG Enthusiast
What type of genre games do you like?

I like strategy myself. 2 good ones that are psuedo-real time (in that the game plays in real-time, but you can pause it to issue orders) are Hearts of Iron II, Knights of Honor. I've had a lot of fun with HOE II - you can play any country during the WWII era, and not just the big ones. Those are both PC based games.

And sports - you really have to have some version of Madden football. It is out on all platforms. Madden '06 really isn't much better than '05 though, and you can get '05 really cheaply.

Another genre you might consider is the "dance" game. Laugh, but it is extremely addictive, and manages to give you a workout while you play. For X-box, i'd go with Ultramix 2. On PS2, I'd start with DDR Max 2 (if you've never played before), or In the Groove if you already know you like that type of game.

Thanks Dairingly and coconutman ..... I just want some type of action type shoot'em up game that I can mess around with while sitting here. I honestly don't know what video card I have, little help here? where do I go to look?

I love the strategy stuff, too ..... would be cool if we could set up an online chess tournament for EOG.

Glaken