College Overtime Numbers...

With TENNESSEE WINNING last night in OT by 3, it got me thinking about NUMBERS....

GEE, IMAGINE THAT....:cocktail :cocktail :cocktail

We all know that the 3 most common numbers that land in College OT are 3, 6 and 7...

I am just speculating as to the ratio that these numbers hit seem to be about 60-30-10 % accordingly....

First off, do you think this is about right and secondly, does anyone have any hard data to answer this for me?

Thanks,

THE SHRINK

Pancho- I'm sure that was a wild guess. LOL I was just trying to figure out how the other was 15% then I started thinking about it. I guess having to go for 2 in the 3rd overtime would make it 2. Then you could have a 9,12,13 if the secound team returns a Int or a fumble for a TD. Also a blocked EP could make it 1. Would the 2 be next?

Nimue77

EOG Senior Member
Well, in college football the favorite probably wins by 3 more than 1 out of 15 times for the whole game.

A better question would be:

When I have a dog +3.5 to +6.5, how often does the FAV win in overtime by 7?

Answer: EVERY FREAKING TIME!

jwunderdog

EOG Addicted
By the way I believe they change the rules a couple of years ago, 8 is the most you can win by now in OT. As soon as there is a change interception or fumble the game is over even if it is run back for a td. Why couldn' they have change it before the asu/usc game about 9 years ago?.:doh1

I would have to think that 3,6,7 are by far the most common. SInce they do not kick a PAT if a teams scores a TD after the first team kicked a FG.

The only way to get another result is a blocked PAT run back, and a team scores after that. Or by some miracle a turnover and a team runs it back(after they had scored first thus giving you a 9 and a 12 possibility)

So I have to think that 2,3,6,7,8,9,12 are the only possible differentials available.

Feel free to add a scenario I missed.

Oh ya I forgot 1 DOH. And 9 doesn't look likely (make FG after fist possession, and then run back a TO for the extra 6) as it is a zero result at least according to those numbers. But did get a run back for a TD after a TD made on first possession.