American Justice System.....

First off, I love the United States im am not one to bash the states just because it seems to be the in thing to do at times. So am I not going to make talking about non sports event a habit I will let some things off my chest here.

Jury: Merck negligent
Merck blamed for death in Vioxx suit; jury awards $253 million in damages. Drug giant to appeal.
August 19, 2005: 5:54 PM EDT
By Aaron Smith, CNN/Money staff writer
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Merck has been held liable by a Texas jury in the first lawsuit involving its former blockbuster drug Vioxx, in a case that could have a profound effect on thousands of other cases filed against the company.

Plaintiff Carol Ernst has won her lawsuit in Texas Superior Court in Angleton, which blames Vioxx for the 2001 death of her husband, Robert Ernst, a 59-year-old marathon runner and Wal-Mart worker who was taking the arthritis painkiller at the time of his death. Ernst died of a heart attack.

The verdict held Merck liable for the death. Jurors voted 10-2 in favor of Ernst.

The jury awarded more than $250 million in total damages -- a $24 million penalty to Carol Ernst for mental anguish and loss of companionship and $229 million in punitive damages. Ernst's Houston-based lawyer, Mark Lanier, said the punitive-damages figure was based on "the money Merck made and saved by putting off their product label changes."

Lanier had been seeking $40.4 million in damages, and after the verdict, Lanier said that he expected the punitive-damages award to be reduced according to Texas law.

The rest of the article can be found here http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/19/news/fortune500/vioxx/index.htm?cnn=yes

First off I do feel bad the guy lost his life and I do believe the company is at fault. But 250 million dollars?? What did this guy do to be worth 250 million dollars? His last name isn't rockefeller and I don't mean either Jay Z or Damon Dash. How could someone award so much money I just don't get it. I mean really wouldn't 5 million do the trick here after legal fees? I also feel bad for the widow because she isn't ever going to see a cent of that 250 million anyway since the company is going to drag it thru appeals forever long after she is gone. I would check out if she has any single grand kids to hook up with because maybe they will see a cent of that judgement.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Agreed that the dollar figure is foolish! But what price can be put on any life --not just one that has potential to be wealthy?