Is Steve Nash one of the 5 best point guards of alltime?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: Is Steve Nash one of the 5 best point guards of alltime?

oscar to grant hill back in his piston days.

dirty

EOG Master

Dirty,

Jerry West was a POINT GUARD?

He played 1 and 2.... also small forward some... He was a little like magic... Led the NBA in Assists a couple of years and Was the Lakers all time leader in Points, Assists, etc at the time of his retirement. He was too Versatile to keep at just the Point Position, but did play it and run that team a good bit.

maverick

EOG Veteran

Gus Williams was a great player that's been somewhat forgotten....he was a very exciting player in his prime and played on some great teams.

He was money when he was with the Sonics...............That Sonics team with Dennis Johnson,Lonnie Shelton,Jack Sikma etc.etc were fun to watch........

Best on offense maybe. Too bad the Suns can't play any D and advance past a good defensive team in the playoffs. He's the funnest to watch for sure but that's about it. If you want to win, get a PG that plays D.

Strickland?:mutleyKidd?:newsmile055:payton?:LMAO

:+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3

Just don't see Kidd in the 1st group maybe the next group of 5. Nash definitely top 5.

soli

EOG Dedicated

I would have to go with championship point guards & clutch performers

Magic
Bob Cousy
Isiah Thomas
Dennis Johnson
Walt Fraizer

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

2 Things......

First......... We all know the true reason Steve Nash will never get the credit he deserves......

Seondly........Although it is has always been very tough for me to decide, I rank John Stockton 1st just over Magic.

I give Stockton the nod because to hold the all time NBA record in an offensive category (assists) AND to hold the all time NBA record in a defensive category (steals) AS WELL/AT THE SAME TIME is just an amazing...amazing feat.....

dirty

EOG Master

He wouldn't hold the assist Record if Magic's Career was not cut short hache.... wouldn't even be close

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Best on offense maybe. Too bad the Suns can't play any D and advance past a good defensive team in the playoffs. He's the funnest to watch for sure but that's about it. If you want to win, get a PG that plays D.
I agree with jake. Nash is great, but cannot play defense well enough to be in the top five point guard category.

P.S. And I don't think because he is white or Canadian anybody is holding back nash's chances at fame and immortality Hache.

dirty

EOG Master

If he were on a team where Defense is stressed I do believe you would find that he could play defense....

jacksorbetter

EOG Dedicated

2nd in NBA history in assists and not named by one single person. The most underrated PG of all-time is Mark Jackson.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I agree with jake. Nash is great, but cannot play defense well enough to be in the top five point guard category.

P.S. And I don't think because he is white or Canadian anybody is holding back nash's chances at fame and immortality Hache.

Utah -7 to-7.5 is evidence enough that Nash's worth ranks right up there with the best that ever played. Utah opened -2 before there was knowledge of Nash's absence. I wonder if Kidd's absence could affect a line this much.:+clueless

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

This is tough. There are some great players. Nash is on a great team for him remember. Cousy was great. A great point guard always thinks pass first (Bob Cousy as always said this). Clyde Frazier was fabulous. I watched Tiny Archibald here in Boston and in 80 and 81 he was so good it was scary. Could not stop his penetration. He was the last player to lead the league in scoring AND assists but that was with the Kings. he played team ball with the Celts. Magic is undisputed number 1. I might also add he is one of the top players of all time and you can make a case he is number 1 overall (yes I just said that). And I am from Boston and do not like the lakers. Stockton, COusy and Nash are the three pure PG's among the group.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Jazz 108 Suns 86. Mr Nash rests his case.

ktb

No.. yes he drives that whole offense but he is also a key reason why the Suns won't ever win the title with their current roster. He is a below average defender, or you could even argue huge liability on the defensive end.

In terms of pure entertainment to watch though, I have to rank him as among the best I've seen in my short lifetime.

It is very clear that many of those who posted in this thread are of the more modern version NBA point guard. Anytime a person asks for a top all-time "x" list, all it does is reflect the current values of the time. Some will use stats to base their selections, others on value to the team. Having seen many seasons of this league, in no particular order, here are my top five: Cousy, Johnson, Robertson, Stockton and West. Sixth man would be Kidd.

Not even close. Nash doesn't play defense. Nor can he. And please, Nash is not as good as Isiah Thomas or Oscar Robertson.

Top 5 PG Ever:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Isiah Thomas
3. Oscar Robertson
4. John Stockton
5. Bob Cousy

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

Scary part is that Nash still has some good years ahead of him. So he'll need to do more to prove to the rest of the poor Garden saps that still believe that Stephon Marbury is the best.

chick's fridge

EOG Senior Member

Steve Nash is great, but the future will determine where he ranks amongthe all-time best. Nash's defense is no worse than many others. You don't go to the hall of fame based on "D" unless you are Bill Russell

I'll throw out a few:

Magic: head and shoulders above all

Pete Maravich: Never had the supporting cast to win rings

Calvin Murphy: could do it all at 5-8 tops.

Bob Cousy: the magician and ultimate set up man of his era

Guy Rodgers: tough & crafty as they come..helped Wilt to 100 pts one game

also, nash has never won a thing in his life. how can you be close to the best without a championship? heck he hasnt even been to the finals!

royboy

EOG Dedicated

nash is top 5 and it's not close... 2 mvp's and could win another before he's done

roy then why can't he come close to winning anything? he's not a winner. so not top 5.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1046533 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 01-11-08, 11:27 AM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #58 (permalink) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->IDENTITY<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1046533", true); </SCRIPT>
NFL Expert

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1046533 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Is Steve Nash one of the 5 best point guards of alltime?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Not even close. Nash doesn't play defense. Nor can he. And please, Nash is not as good as Isiah Thomas or Oscar Robertson.

Top 5 PG Ever:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Isiah Thomas
3. Oscar Robertson
4. John Stockton
5. Bob Cousy
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ID,

How many rings does Stockton, your #4 pick have?

stockton got to the finals twice and lost only cause he had to play against michael jordan's team. malone and barkley had the same problems....nash hasn't even gotten to the finals..

dirty

EOG Master

Identity... you can't have it both ways.... Stockton either won Championships or he didn't..... You have to hold them all to the same standards or you are being a Hypocrite....

Nash has lost to some of the Best players of this ERA of the NBA... does not matter if you believe they are as good or JOrdan or not.....

Stockton Championships = 0 with no chance to every win one....

Nash Championships = 0 With Many more chances to win one

nash = 0 finals
stockton= 2 finals (stockton 2 losses to greatest team and player ever - chi bulls and michael jordan)

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

ID,

Stockton and Nash have the same number of rings. By your definition they're both losers so how can Stockton be your #4?

dirty

EOG Master

You never said anything about how many finals they played in ID.... You can't change the rules Mid Stream..... Zero Championships for both of them

and dirty - its not hypcritical to mention mj...hes the greatest ever.they barely lost in their playoff series. nah has played against nowhere near someone like mj......so nash should be getting to the finals and controlling the games. he doesnt because he cracks under the pressure.

dirty

EOG Master

It does not matter if you lose by 1 or 100 Identity.... It all goes down as a loss.... Keep changing the Criteria for how you rank players as you go..... I don't care.... You back door and Justify everything you every post....

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

ID,

So Stockton's a bigger or smaller loser than Nash? Nash has never lost a Final series, much less two of them. And they have the same number of rings, don't they?

dirty - look at post #61 - i had mentioned nash had not been to the finals. so i did not "change the rules." sorry sir. u cant use that excuse. lol

nash has never hit a big shot in the playoffs in his life.

dirty

EOG Master

you did change the rules... you commented Nash has never won a Championship or How many has he won.... but your #4 has not won any either.... you are a hypocrite in how you judge players... bottom line....

I am not arguing with you anymore about it.... Justify it how you want in your mind.... you have different sets of rules for different players

Journeyman

EOG Master

NASH IS A TWO TIME NBA MVP, YOU CANNOT BASE HIS RANKING SOLELY ON NOT WINNING AN NBA TITLE...STOCKTON HAD NOT REACHED THE FINALS AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER EITHER..

IF NASH PLAYED ON THOSE UTAH TEAMS HE TOO WOULD HAVE LIKELY MADE THE FINALS WITH MALONE. IF YOU PUT STOCKTON ON THESE SUNS TEAMS HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A BACK TO BACK NBA MVP.

NASH IS A GREATER ALL AROUND PLAYER THAN JOHN STOCKTON....IT IS CLOSE BUT NASH GETS THE EDGE.

EOD

Journeyman

EOG Master

It is very close though between Nash and Stockton....Nash a little more dynamic of a scorer, longer range and a little bit more of a pure shooter than Stockton....it's damn close though.

Stockton also played at a very high level for a long time, remains to be seen if Nash can sustain this high level of play, although I believe he will.

I don't think Nash is ever going to win one , he is 34 now and Phoenix just seems to be in the same boat as always.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

nash has never hit a big shot in the playoffs in his life.

that is ridiculous and untrue. nash is one of the best shooters in the league and not someone you want to leave open in crunch time. i remember him single handedly beating the mavs 3 years ago i believe in the playoffs. he was unstoppable.

i agree, stockton should not be punished for losing to mj, but nash isn't facing a slouch in timmy d every year.

the never won argument is garbage imo, same people said peyton was shit before he won last year, and they didn't have a clue either.

kills me journey how you don't realize how much of a better DEFENDER stockton was than nash....you don't even factor in the defense....that's your problem though....basketball isn't only offense...

Journeyman

EOG Master

kills me journey how you don't realize how much of a better DEFENDER stockton was than nash....you don't even factor in the defense....that's your problem though....basketball isn't only offense...

Who says I didn't factor it in?

Nash is a better all around athlete..the Suns play a very offensive minded game (in case you did not know)

Show me how many white, smallish, guards can win back to back NBA MVP awards on the planet?

answer =one guy , there is ONE guy on this planet that can accomplish that , Stockton could never have won an NBA MVP award, and I am not knocking Stockton.