WVU, I've been running a lot lately, give me some pointers man.

Journeyman

EOG Master
Man I tell ya, I hate long distance running, every freakin step!

Give me some suggestions, I am determined to get back to my old self.

I use to play back to back to back indoor soccer games , basically could run all night long, and still feel like I should be able to.2348ji23e

I have been doing several intervals throughtout the day, also I already walk several miles a day, sometimes for 3-4 houirs at a time, but it's just not the same as running.

:cheers

WVU

EOG Master
Re: WVU, I've been running a lot lately, give me some pointers man.

screw the 3 or 4 hours of walking. Run 3 miles a day. Do it at an easy pace 2 days and a hard pace every 3rd day. Mix in a moderate track workout once a week. How far are you from a track? Can you run to one?

Journeyman

EOG Master

Okay, let me start over lol...I am not up to that level yet....I have a track that is about 5 mins away but i also have a good half mile right around my block, it's much easier.

I tend to run at a faster pace, so I burn out faster, my goal is to run without getting tired, there was a time when I could run forever...I want that back!

Also do you think it's better to take days off? I prefer doing 'everything' everyday it keeps me focused.

Oh and I don't walk for fitness , I walk for my business.

Shoes, shoes, shoes. Have good shoes with some support.

Journeyman

EOG Master

So if say I run a mile at a good pace, should I walk, catch my breath and just start running again? On and off til I can keep running the entire 3 miles?

Of couse I could slowly jog a 3 miles , trying to figure the best way to go about it.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Shoes, shoes, shoes. Have good shoes with some support.

I don't have running shoes, just the basic 'whichever pair is closest when I decide to run' shoes lol

I have several pairs of white sneakers.

Journeyman

EOG Master

LOL no no no!

I have running shoes, just not anything spectacular...new balance, nikes etc

my blisters have blisters though.

Man I tell ya, I hate long distance running, every freakin step!

Give me some suggestions, I am determined to get back to my old self.

I use to play back to back to back indoor soccer games , basically could run all night long, and still feel like I should be able to.2348ji23e

I have been doing several intervals throughtout the day, also I already walk several miles a day, sometimes for 3-4 houirs at a time, but it's just not the same as running.

drag me along...i need to start running!

Journeyman

EOG Master

drag me along...i need to start running!

I have enough trouble dragging myself along 2348ji23e...cannot believe how difficult it is, considering how much biking and walking I already do.

WVU

EOG Master

So if say I run a mile at a good pace, should I walk, catch my breath and just start running again? On and off til I can keep running the entire 3 miles?

Of couse I could slowly jog a 3 miles , trying to figure the best way to go about it.

Slowly jog the entire 3 miles if you can. Very gradually increase your pace after a week or so at the same slow pace. Mix it up with a good speed workout on the track or around your block once a week. The speed workout will eventually help you run the entire 3 miles at a faster pace.

WVU

EOG Master

LOL no no no!

I have running shoes, just not anything spectacular...new balance, nikes etc

my blisters have blisters though.

You absolutely have to have a decent pair of running shoes. You can get a good pair at a shoe warehouse type store for $50.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Slowly jog the entire 3 miles if you can. Very gradually increase your pace after a week or so at the same slow pace. Mix it up with a good speed workout on the track or around your block once a week. The speed workout will eventually help you run the entire 3 miles at a faster pace.

I'll tell you what sucks, and part of my motivation, I have spoken to several women who run and they run long distance , I can't have 35 yr old woman outrunning me. Here I was in this phenomenal shape for yrs and never even respected it...I shall return or die trying.

What kind of speed training are you talking about? I also do high rep squats with light weight.

Journeyman

EOG Master

You absolutely have to have a decent pair of running shoes. You can get a good pair at a shoe warehouse type store for $50.

My shoes are not bad really, I was more less joking.

WVU

EOG Master

typical speed workout on a quarter mile track:
800 yard jog warm up

run 220 yards hard jog 220 yards x 4

run 440 yards hard, walk 220 yards x4

800 yard jog cooldown

Journeyman

EOG Master

typical speed workout on a quarter mile track:
800 yard jog warm up

run 220 yards hard jog 220 yards x 4

run 440 yards hard, walk 220 yards x4

800 yard jog cooldown

okay cool, this is what I needed.

I still believe I can run a 5 min mile if I can build up my stamina.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I think overall running is bad for your body. All that pounding, why would that be good for your joints? Better off on a treadmill where at least there is some give in the deck. Knees will be shot when you are 55 let alone your vertabrae. Now swimming is a different story.

WVU

EOG Master

I think overall running is bad for your body. All that pounding, why would that be good for your joints? Better off on a treadmill where at least there is some give in the deck. Knees will be shot when you are 55 let alone your vertabrae. Now swimming is a different story.

No way man. Look at runners who have been running for years. Most are fit and healthy with no problems with joints. You can't replace running around in the fresh air with labwork runniing. It just isn't the same

Journeyman

EOG Master

I am a swimmer, I swim around my creek all summer long, but still not the same, can't explain why it is.

I need to do this.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

No way man. Look at runners who have been running for years. Most are fit and healthy with no problems with joints. You can't replace running around in the fresh air with labwork runniing. It just isn't the same
you must live in Kenya

I have run ever since I was in high school and I love it. You are so right WVU about getting out in the neighborhood and enjoying he world for that little bit of uninterrupted time.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I am a swimmer, I swim around my creek all summer long, but still not the same, can't explain why it is.

I need to do this.
Get a nice treadmill and prop a TV up in front of it. The time goes in no time and you can get some of your handicapping done while you are running. Everything i do in life that i hate i make it as comfortable as possible. In my gym at home i have a TV, Stereo and hell i even made a rack for my dumbells so i don't have to bend down to get them. Only problem i have is trying to train my brother into putting all the weights back when he is done with them. Still not sinking in. Turn on the treadmill, sportstalk radio, listen to what all those monkeys like in NY on 660, then bet the other way. Collect off of the booky and buy more stuff for the gym. Wash rinse repeat :+textinb3

kinda going against your argument buying a treadmill...you are still putting that wear and tear on your knees...go buy an elliptical or bike if you want to be easy on your joints

Journeyman

EOG Master

Get a nice treadmill and prop a TV up in front of it. The time goes in no time and you can get some of your handicapping done while you are running. Everything i do in life that i hate i make it as comfortable as possible. In my gym at home i have a TV, Stereo and hell i even made a rack for my dumbells so i don't have to bend down to get them. Only problem i have is trying to train my brother into putting all the weights back when he is done with them. Still not sinking in. Turn on the treadmill, sportstalk radio, listen to what all those monkeys like in NY on 660, then bet the other way. Collect off of the booky and buy more stuff for the gym. Wash rinse repeat :+textinb3

LMAO Thor, you are a mess man! :cheers

I hate bending over too, picking up those DBs, I always rest them on my bench, in fact I just did right before I read this.:+excited-

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

kinda going against your argument buying a treadmill...you are still putting that wear and tear on your knees...go buy an elliptical or bike if you want to be easy on your joints

Yeah i know Quebb but im basically saying if you have to run, run on a treadmill.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

LMAO Thor, you are a mess man! :cheers

I hate bending over too, picking up those DBs, I always rest them on my bench, in fact I just did right before I read this.:+excited-
I don't have the greatest of backs and the easiest way i will hurt it is doing something lazy and grabbing one off the floor at a wierd angle. Or moving one with my foot. I learn that lesson. Its not lifting that kills me its something stupid i do which usually is a lazy way to do it.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I have always found that competition intesifies the workout. IE hoops, racquetball, or tennis. Running with someone else also keeps the mind more focused. If you can find someone who enjoys the same things you can both push each other.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I have always found that competition intesifies the workout. IE hoops, racquetball, or tennis. Running with someone else also keeps the mind more focused. If you can find someone who enjoys the same things you can both push each other.
Kid if im gonna run it is gonna be something like you suggested (playing sports) and not looking like some fairy running around the neighborhood. Sorry Journey but we have this kid in the neighborhood that looks like he can fly away when he runs :+textinb3 Seen the fukker 15 miles away one time. Journey if you suck at raquetball like me you will get enough running in for a lifetime. When you get good the running is cut down a lot.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Speaking of running what ever happen to The Devil?

WVU

EOG Master

Thor are you a big guy?

Journeyman

EOG Master

Kid if im gonna run it is gonna be something like you suggested (playing sports) and not looking like some fairy running around the neighborhood. Sorry Journey but we have this kid in the neighborhood that looks like he can fly away when he runs :+textinb3 Seen the fukker 15 miles away one time. Journey if you suck at raquetball like me you will get enough running in for a lifetime. When you get good the running is cut down a lot.

I absolutely hate running distance, just feel I have to do it...trust me, I am against just running around, I was always a player , not some clown running around for exercise...times change, If I'm going to live to 130 yrs old (which is my goal) I have to make some changes.

I am in the process of tricking my mind into believing it's 1986 again, even wearing some of the old clothing and been listening to 80's music .

WVU

EOG Master

just think how saggy those guns:LMAOwill look at age 130.

Journeyman

EOG Master

just think how saggy those guns:LMAOwill look at age 130.

My arms will be just fine for at least 40 more yrs.

By the time I'm nearing 80, I am really hoping/counting on some major scientific breakthroughs :+clueless

I will be here in 2100, will you?

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I absolutely hate running distance, just feel I have to do it...trust me, I am against just running around, I was always a player , not some clown running around for exercise...times change, If I'm going to live to 130 yrs old (which is my goal) I have to make some changes.

I am in the process of tricking my mind into believing it's 1986 again, even wearing some of the old clothing and been listening to 80's music .

130 years old? :LMAO:LMAO

Somebody better kill me if I somehow live to 100

WVU

EOG Master

My arms will be just fine for at least 40 more yrs.

By the time I'm nearing 80, I am really hoping/counting on some major scientific breakthroughs :+clueless

I will be here in 2100, will you?

Journeyman, I am very fit and healthy. I can still move around pretty good. I am just not so into it that I want to live forever. You could be the next Jack Lalanne. Haha, remember that thread?

Thin guys can stay fit and look better longer than big guys. Sorry, but its true.
:pop:

Journeyman

EOG Master

Journeyman, I am very fit and healthy. I can still move around pretty good. I am just not so into it that I want to live forever. You could be the next Jack Lalanne. Haha, remember that thread?

Thin guys can stay fit and look better longer than big guys. Sorry, but its true.
:pop:

I'm speechless! First of all, I'm not even what I would consider a big guy in any way? I am perfect size for longevity, 5-10 203 lbs curently!

I must look bigger in my pictures is all I can think...I am NOT a big guy, damn! I have a 31 inch waist, small wrists.

I can be downright skinny at times, I have a 31 inch waist most of the time.

You must be smoking pot again, also a great life extender lol :blink: