To Parlay or Not Parlay?

Basically I stick to straight betting but occasionally I am tempted to go for a parlay. Suppose you like a side and an o/u on the same NBA fight. Do you preferre to make two straight bets (risking 1+1 units) or a parlay (risking one unit)?

The obvious answer is of course: "it depends..." but please share your thoughts on what it would depend upon.

TIA!

Cheers, farbror

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated
I am of the opinion that parlays on the same game are frustrating and difficult to hit. I rarely even bet a two team teaser on the same game. I think it is a better bet to have two separate bets with smaller amounts.

I would stay away from parlays also as it does it most bettors. The books favorite customerrs are parlay and teaser bettors.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
My preference is to use IF bets instead of parlays. I know, you cuss yourself when the first leg loses and the second leg hits but you CANNOT lose both bets. You can play the second leg for half or the same, etc. instead of a press.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
For newer guys that may want other options......

Instead of wagering the single game you like at -110 to win 100 on average, simply add a second play as a 2 team parlay for a LATER GAME. Very important that it is a later game and that it is a game in which you feel the line will not really move or will move UP/in your favor only.

Of course, if you wager the one game only you like, and it hits, you would win $100. If it loses, then you lose $110 on the straight wager. On the 2 team parlay, if your 1st game loses, you only lose $100 & your saving money, and other benefits as discussed below.

Of course, a 2 team parlay pays anywhere from 2.65 - 2.8 to 1.

Let's say you lay $100 on a 2 team parlay on a 2.8 - 1 payoff which works the best for this. So hitting a $100 2 team parlay would pay you $280.

If your 1st game hits that you felt strong about, you now go bet $140 on the other side of the LATER game than your original parlay wager. If the parlay hits, you win $280 , but lose the $140 on the wager on the other side of late game. That gives you winnings of $140 in profit compared to only $100 if you would of wagered the one game straight instead of the parlay.

Now, if the parlay loses, you have only lost $100 (insead of $110 on a straight wager) , but you have won approximately $126 on the LATER game that you went back and covered by betting the opposite side of the LATE game.

In all, you are winning more and risking less.

Now, some will say there is a chance that the late game spread will move against you, and this is where it is so very important that you select specific games for that LATE game. Even if the line did move 1/2 point against you, which more than likely won't happen if you select the corret games in time, you can simply buy that 1/2 - point back and still cover your behind.

As a matter of fact, in many instances, it will move IN YOUR FAVOR if you choose wisely, and give you and even greater opportunity of making more money. If your late game selection is Carolina Panthers -2.5 , and the line later moves to Carolina +3 , you can then wager the other team on the LATE game at +3. If the other team only wins by 3, you push that backup wager on the LATE game , but win the original parlay +280.

And of course, you could always leave your parlay alone & let it ride.
However, that isn't the reason for doing this.
The reason for this is to simply win more money on one specific wager you like by increasing the payoff .

All in all, more things in your favor doing it this way....

Winning more.......risking less...........

Last edited:
I'm getting confused quick...lol...not hard to do.....so if your original team wins...but the 2nd team loses.....u lose $100, and win $126.....for a net of + $26 ??? But thats $74 less than you would have won if you just bet your original team for $100.