"The science is clear: Masks worked, but vaccinated people don’t need them now"?

"The science is clear: Masks worked, but vaccinated people don’t need them now
I believe in masks, but it’s time to move toward normalcy in the United States

When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention called for universal mask-wearing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in April 2020, much of America took heed. We wore masks at work and while jogging. We put face coverings on our children at the playground. And by doing so, we helped slow the spread of a disease that has taken the lives of more than 3.4 million people globally, including more than 580,000 in the United States.

Now, it’s time for us to listen to the CDC again. In declaring last week that most vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks, the agency leaned on solid science that shows the vaccines are working — not only to protect the person who got the shot, but also the people around them. Embracing this new guidance is an important step that will help move our country toward a normality that we’ve all worked hard to bring back.

I am keenly aware of the protective value of masks. I was among the first to publish a scientific brief on the importance of universal face masking for the U.S. public. Since then, I have published many papers with others promoting masks as a way to not only slow the spread of the virus but potentially even reduce the amount of virus the wearer is exposed to and reduce the severity of disease if contracted. Based in part on our work, the CDC revised its guidance in November to conclude that masks don’t just protect others but also protect the person wearing them. Our research also contributed to CDC guidelines early this year that the fit and filtration abilities of the mask make a difference in blocking viral particles, leading many Americans to start double-masking.

So, I am a believer in the power of masks. But the vaccines are even more powerful, according to a growing body of research — not just in clinical trials but in the real world. Study after study has demonstrated that they prevent severe disease and infection at astounding rates. Vaccines prevented covid-19 hospitalization among adults 65 and older by 94 percent, prevented symptomatic infection among health-care workers in Israel by 97 percent and blocked severe covid-19 disease by 97.4 percent in Qatar, even when the majority of circulating virus was from variants of concern, according to studies cited by the CDC the day they released their new mask guidance. Studies also found that serious breakthrough infections among vaccinated individuals are extremely rare. Of over 115 million Americans vaccinated, only 0.0009 percent have had severe covid-19 after vaccination despite the virus continuing to circulate in their communities. Vaccines truly defang the virus."

[article continued in next post]

"We now have ample data to show that the vaccines also block transmission. The ability of this virus to transmit from individuals who are infected but do not show symptoms (asymptomatic) has been the reason it was previously so difficult to contain. But multiple studies at this point show us that vaccines massively reduce asymptomatic infection. A March CDC study showed a 90 percent reduction in asymptomatic infections among vaccinated front-line workers, and another study this month shows an 86 percent reduction among vaccinated health-care workers in Israel. Other studies confirm at least an 86 percent to 92 percent reduction in asymptomatic infection after vaccination.

Although some people are still wary of the vaccines, more than half of adults in the United States have now received at least one dose, and cases and hospitalizations have plummeted. Many states are far below the metric that we set out in a Washington Post article in early April for when restrictions could be lifted.

When the CDC rolled out its most recent recommendations on masks last week and President Biden finally told us “we’ll smile again, and now see one another’s smiles,” I, along with many others, agreed that this was a wonderful, data-driven, science-acknowledging day. But others who had hailed the initial recommendation in 2020 to wear face coverings by the CDC as scientifically sound reacted to the new guidance with trepidation and surprise. Some declared that, out of mistrust of the federal agency and their fellow Americans, they planned to continue to wear masks for the foreseeable future and that they saw no harm in doing so.

But there is harm in rejecting this science and the recommendations of a famously cautious CDC. Studies have clearly shown that incentives, including signaling the end of masks and distancing, would increase vaccine uptake among the hesitant. Mask-wearing by the vaccinated is not necessary based on the science, but motivating vaccination among the wary is of tantamount importance. And while the virus rages in countries such as India without access to enough vaccine, the United States has been fortunate. Masks, distancing and ventilation are mitigation strategies; vaccines are the solution. We don’t need to mitigate the impact of the virus by other interventions if we can suppress it through immunization instead.

My biggest concern about failing to embrace the science at this point is that it could prevent the return of full in-person school. The science tells us that, on our current trajectory, it’s possible to get all children back to school in person by the fall — free of masks, regular testing, social distancing or fear. That is not only because adolescents are now approved for the vaccine and a vaccine for the very young could be available by then. Children who are not yet vaccinated have two very strong dynamics working in their favor. First, as is well known, children are at extremely low risk of serious illness from covid compared to adults. Secondly, as case rates fall even lower, children not yet eligible for vaccination will be protected as more in the community become immune. With fewer people infected, the likelihood of any unvaccinated people being exposed to the virus will become vanishingly small.

But science cannot always overcome fear, as we have seen in California, where more than half of students remain in distance learning even though it is the state with the lowest case rates of covid-19 in the nation and among the states with the highest vaccine uptake. Many groups, including the American Federation of Teachers, recognize the need for regular school to resume nationally. If we let fear dominate our narrative now — even with the incredible power of the vaccines and a usually cautious public-health agency embracing that science — the fate of schools in the fall will remain in the balance.

The CDC guidance was celebratory and hopeful, as was Biden signaling this was a “great day for America.” Do not be afraid to follow the science on the CDC’s current mask guidance as you followed the science before vaccines: embrace their effectiveness, accept increasing normalcy, and minimize further collateral damage as we emerge into this brighter and brighter light at the end of the U.S. epidemic’s tunnel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/05/18/vaccines-no-masks-cdc/

mr merlin

EOG Master
Anything in the Wash post is fake news meant to manipulate the public, the best advice I can give is to never read anything from the NY Times or the Wash post.

"Universal public masking was adopted in Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, mainland China, Thailand, and Taiwan [45, 46] after their respective COVID-19 outbreaks and may have contributed to their initial success rates to curbing transmission, along with widespread testing, isolation and quarantining, contact tracing, and border control measures. Asian countries were heavily impacted by SARS-CoV-1 [8], which may have led to a more rapid institution of universal masking for SARS-CoV-2 [47].

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/7/4/ofaa131/5820544

"Data from physical sciences research suggest that masks protect the wearer by filtering virus from external sources, and others by reducing expulsion of virus by the wearer."

"Surgical masks worn by infected individuals reduce transmission by blocking the release of virions into the air, as has been shown for coronaviruses or influenza viruses.41 Evidence regarding the ability of cloth face coverings to reduce also the size of the inward viral inoculum was already available for other respiratory viruses,42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and has been accumulating for droplets and aerosols that simulate SARS-CoV-2.47, 48 Increasing evidence from physical sciences research on how cloth masks might protect the wearer (filtration for personal protection), as well as the long-standing evidence on how masks protect others (so-called source control) led to a change in guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, whose original public health recommendation for the public to wear face coverings, from April 3, 2020, provided the reason that masks protect others.49 However, a scientific brief by the same agency, updated on November 20, 2020, revised the guidance to indicate that masks protect both the user and others, which might also help to increase mask-wearing compliance in the USA.50

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30982-8/fulltext

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
"Universal public masking was adopted in Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, mainland China, Thailand, and Taiwan [45, 46] after their respective COVID-19 outbreaks and may have contributed to their initial success rates to curbing transmission, along with widespread testing, isolation and quarantining, contact tracing, and border control measures. Asian countries were heavily impacted by SARS-CoV-1 [8], which may have led to a more rapid institution of universal masking for SARS-CoV-2 [47].

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/7/4/ofaa131/5820544

Somehow they conveniently left out all of the places that had mask mandates where it didn't work.

Masks working well in India right now. Right?

Somehow they conveniently left out all of the places that had mask mandates where it didn't work.

Masks working well in India right now. Right?

I posted this on another forum earlier today & it's applicable here too:

"If you think that & your graphs provide any proof re whether or not masks work to save lives, which they do, then you are a clueless ignorant covidiot. But why else would you post them without any comment except a silly laughing icon. In so doing it just suggests you are an silly ignoramous.

As i have stated repeatedly before, infection numbers vary & are a result of many different factors, such as numbers tested, population density, individual immune systems, irresponsible covidiocy numbers, mask wearing, social distancing, lockdowns, numbers in poorly ventilated areas, the type of virus (VOC) circulating, numbers vaccinated, numbers recovered from infection with antibodies & other factors.

So you can't just look at one factor (e.g. alleged mask usage) & draw any valid conclusions.

It's low intelligence covidiots that i've come across on multiple forum sites that keep doing that.

Why do i have to keep repeating this over & over again."

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
You mean like the completely inaccurate, propagandistic "No Masks" graph you posted above?

I love reducing idiots to having no ability to argue their nonsensical points any longer.

You mean like the completely inaccurate, propagandistic "No Masks" graph you posted above?

Inaccurate? How?

I mean like the graphs posted by covidiots that i've seen posted here & elsewhere within the past day or two. Haven't you been paying attention.

And yes, masks are working well in India & anywhere else they're ever used. Why? Because masks work & save lives. The scientific evidence, which i've posted & you've ignored, says so. Posting silly irrelevant graphs with infection numbers & mask mandate dates doesn't change that fact. Get it?

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
If you don't understand how inaccurate it is, then you're clearly dumb as fuck. Gee. I wonder if China, Germany, India, etc. had mask mandates.

Yeah. Masks are working GREAT in India. Their cases were only rising exponentially like everywhere else (even without harsh mask mandates) and they were only burning bodies in the streets. LMAO.

And empirical evidence clearly has no impact on the brainwashed. Better for idiots like you to post non-peer-reviewed bullshit "science" that existed before any of the major surges across the globe and propaganda graphs which you're incapable of being intelligent enough to fact check yourself than to actually have those brainwashed opinions swayed by new, updated evidence.

Yeah. Masks are working GREAT in India. Their cases were only rising exponentially like everywhere else (even without harsh mask mandates) and they were only burning bodies in the streets. LMAO.

Even if true that's entirely useless info as far as reaching any conclusion on the efficacy of masks.

"If you think that & your graphs provide any proof re whether or not masks work to save lives, then you are a clueless ignorant covidiot. But why else would you post them without any comment except a silly laughing icon. In so doing it just suggests you are an silly ignoramous.

As i have stated repeatedly before, infection numbers vary & are a result of many different factors, such as numbers tested, population density, individual immune systems, irresponsible covidiocy numbers, mask wearing, social distancing, lockdowns, numbers in poorly ventilated areas, the type of virus (VOC) circulating, numbers vaccinated, numbers recovered from infection with antibodies & other factors.

So you can't just look at one factor (e.g. alleged mask usage) & draw any valid conclusions.

It's low intelligence covidiots that i've come across on multiple forum sites that keep doing that.

Last edited:

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Yes. Having mask mandates where the non-compliant face 6 months in prison in India leading to forced, widespread mask usage and the fact that they STILL experienced an exponential rise in cases and have been posting cases above 200k per day for weeks now would tell "rational" people that masks are "working great" there.

-The dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

LMAO.

Yes. Having mask mandates where the non-compliant face 6 months in prison in India leading to forced, widespread mask usage and the fact that they STILL experienced an exponential rise in cases and have been posting cases above 200k per day for weeks now would tell "rational" people that masks are "working great" there.

Basic stuff re covid19 for junior high schoolers:

Mask use (vs non mask use) reduces infections & deaths. As the scientific evidence supports.

Therefore, if all other variables are equal, they succeed at doing that.

Therefore if infection numbers are rising, it's due to other causes, such as i've repeatedly listed & will again below.

Masks alone are not a silver bullet capable of defeating covid19 all by itself.

Cases are still capable of rising even after a mask mandate comes into place.

Or at any time due to other more powerful variables as far as infection numbers go.

To understand why infection numbers were increasing in India, doing some reading on the subject might help ;

-----------------------------------------

"If you think that & your graphs provide any proof re whether or not masks work to save lives, then you are a clueless ignorant covidiot. But why else would you post them without any comment except a silly laughing icon. In so doing it just suggests you are an silly ignoramous.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Here's some science from the experts, their models from late march - as you can see they incorporated much data and came up with several possible scenarios. the red dots are what really happened.

1621480787476.png

Name one place where there wasn't a mask mandate where cases rose faster than India.

What would be the point. Recent infection numbers rising in India is probably because of a number of factors i've already listed, including more infectious VOC, high density populations, covidiocy rising, irresponsible lifting of restrictions after things improved as a result of the restrictions, low numbers vaccinated, etc. If it weren't for masks, things would be even worse.

What has often happened during the pandemic is when infections rose extreme safety measures were recommended or mandated to stop the rising wave of infections. In many cases that included masks. If the wave of infections continued rising for a time after a mask mandate, that was not because masks are not effective, but because the powerful unstoppable wave was already in motion. Without the mask mandate the wave would have been even worse.

Likewise a powerful unstoppable storm may be coming to a Florida beach area. Putting up some protection on your dwelling will often spare it some damage. Without that protection the storm damage is more likely to be even worse.

This post above & below explains why graphs being posted by covidiots with infection numbers & mask mandates are worthless as regards the question of the efficacy of masks in reducing infection numbers & hospitalizations and deaths from covid19.

---------------------

"If you think that & your graphs provide any proof re whether or not masks work to save lives, then you are a clueless ignorant covidiot. But why else would you post them without any comment except a silly laughing icon. In so doing it just suggests you are a silly ignoramous.

Last edited:
Here are articles with some of the evidence in support of masks saving lives:

"Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

"An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19

...We recommend that public officials and governments strongly encourage the use of widespread face masks in public...
https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

"Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review":

https://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

1621493740082.png

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
All of your propaganda using data before any of the major surges even occurred. LMAO.

One of them from April of 2020 even. LOL!

What an absolute idiot.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
What would be the point. Recent infection numbers rising in India is probably because of a number of factors i've already listed, including more infectious VOC, high density populations, covidiocy rising, irresponsible lifting of restrictions after things improved as a result of the restrictions, low numbers vaccinated, etc. If it weren't for masks, things would be even worse.

What has often happened during the pandemic is when infections rose extreme safety measures were recommended or mandated to stop the rising wave of infections. In many cases that included masks. If the wave of infections continued rising for a time after a mask mandate, that was not because masks are not effective, but because the powerful unstoppable wave was already in motion. Without the mask mandate the wave would have been even worse.

Likewise a powerful unstoppable storm may be coming to a Florida beach area. Putting up some protection on your dwelling will often spare it some damage. Without that protection the storm damage is more likely to be even worse.

This post above & below explains why graphs being posted by covidiots with infection numbers & mask mandates are worthless as regards the question of the efficacy of masks in reducing infection numbers & hospitalizations and deaths from covid19.

---------------------

"If you think that & your graphs provide any proof re whether or not masks work to save lives, then you are a clueless ignorant covidiot. But why else would you post them without any comment except a silly laughing icon. In so doing it just suggests you are a silly ignoramous.

So you can't provide any data that shows a surge greater than India's in a country that did not enact mask mandates.

Go figure.

P.S. - India never removed their mask mandates, dumbfuck.

Surrender noted.

So you can't provide any data that shows a surge greater than India's in a country that did not enact mask mandates.

Go figure.

Irrelevant. As i said:

Name one place where there wasn't a mask mandate where cases rose faster than India.

---------------------

All of your propaganda using data before any of the major surges even occurred. LMAO.

One of them from April of 2020 even. LOL!

What an absolute idiot.

Deal with the science supporting the use of masks for the saving of lives, or crawl back to your hole in the ground:

Here are articles with some of the evidence in support of masks saving lives:

"Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

"An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19

...We recommend that public officials and governments strongly encourage the use of widespread face masks in public...
https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

"Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review":

https://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

1621533339379.png

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Yeah. Empirical evidence that proves the idea that masks prevented a greater rise in cases in India versus a country that did not mandate masks would definitely be considered "irrelevant" to the brainwashed.

The same way pictures of the spherical Earth from space are irrelevant to flat-Earth retards.

Yeah. Empirical evidence that proves the idea that masks prevented a greater rise in cases in India versus a country that did not mandate masks would definitely be considered "irrelevant" to the brainwashed.

The same way pictures of the spherical Earth from space are irrelevant to flat-Earth retards.

Go figure.

Irrelevant. As i said:

---------------------

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated