The Key Bridge in Baltimore was hit by a container ship & collapsed. Casualties reported.

howid

EOG Dedicated
chat

Jacquelyn Anne

The container ship was 1000ft long and loss power, so they had no rudder. Then when it came back on, they cut to starboard. Lost power again and so it basically was stuck pointing rt at the piling

mr merlin

EOG Master
I was watching earlier and saw some dumb negro in a track suit yapping his jaws at a press conference, turns out he's the baltimore mayor, he was just on CNN and told them to stop showing video of the collapse because it upsets him.

He's going to be a great resource in this tragedy, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: E$

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I'm not going to post in this thread. howid is invading my turf. But I'll make 1 post. Next will be plane. Unless you absolutely have to, stay away from the airport. May not make a difference when it lands on your head.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
1 more post. Forgot to add. Incredibly Andrew Lucky this happened at 1 am. Would have been hundreds dead. Next time, no such Andrew.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Contrary to the title of this American Trucker Facebook poster covering this tragic topic, there are no casualties reported as of yet, though 6 people are accounted for. The vessel lost power before it crashed into the bridge, and local authorities shut the bridge traffic down both ways which saved a lot of lives. Also considering the time of day that this accident happened, ultimately also saved quite a few lives. Over 30,000 vehicles are passing this bridge on a daily basis.

MrTop

EOG Master
Singapore registered Dali was operated by charter company synergy group and time chartered by Maersk carrying Maersk customers cargo.

howid

EOG Dedicated
NY Post:

The collapse of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge is a “major disaster” that threatens to disrupt the $80 billion in cargo that travels to and from one of America’s busiest ports, experts said.

mr merlin

EOG Master
NY Post:

The collapse of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge is a “major disaster” that threatens to disrupt the $80 billion in cargo that travels to and from one of America’s busiest ports, experts said.
Good, it'll disrupt it, other than that big whoop. If they get off their ass they can clear 1 of the 3 collapsed spans in a reasonable amount of time, perhaps a few weeks, then the port can get going again.

MrTop

EOG Master
Good, it'll disrupt it, other than that big whoop. If they get off their ass they can clear 1 of the 3 collapsed spans in a reasonable amount of time, perhaps a few weeks, then the port can get going again.

they are talking several months or more.... look for bodies &..have to clear the steel first

2-3 shifts..so 24 hours day

mr merlin

EOG Master
they are talking several months or more.... look for bodies &..have to clear the steel first

2-3 shifts..so 24 hours day
It looks like 3 spans collapsed, i would assume a ship could go either way if the rubble is cleared, so you only have to clear one to start. It looks like the pieces are mostly intact and it would be way easier than if it was all under water.

So they'll need to get floating barges with huge cranes, start cutting it up and removing it, and then later on dredge as needed. Obviously it wont be as good as you want but if they can get it going at 40-50% of capacity that would be something.

The rebuilding will take several years, perhaps a little less.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Maybe just shit-can it and build a new one.
They prob will, but they still have to clear the debris, not to mention if they replaced the undamaged part of this bridge they would have to knock it down first.

Ron Desantis would have it replaced in a month.

mr merlin

EOG Master
When the SkyWay Bridge in Tampa got hit it took 7 years to rebuild.
I know they built a long bridge here across the st croix river , it took a little over 3 years and I dont think they worked round the clock or did a whole lot in the winter. it's longer than the bridge that fell(assuming they just fix the fallen parts).
1711508825734.png

dogball

EOG Master
I'm not going to post in this thread. howid is invading my turf. But I'll make 1 post. Next will be plane. Unless you absolutely have to, stay away from the airport. May not make a difference when it lands on your head.
I have been thinking this for 6 months. I flew to Bahamas 3 weeks ago and we had a go around when landing. It was my first experience with that and very unsettling. I feel like we are unfortunately overdue for an air catastrophe in the USA and with all these maintenance issues and doors , bolts flying off recently a disaster is around the corner. hopefully not.

MrTop

EOG Master
It looks like 3 spans collapsed, i would assume a ship could go either way if the rubble is cleared, so you only have to clear one to start. It looks like the pieces are mostly intact and it would be way easier than if it was all under water.

So they'll need to get floating barges with huge cranes, start cutting it up and removing it, and then later on dredge as needed. Obviously it wont be as good as you want but if they can get it going at 40-50% of capacity that would be something.

The rebuilding will take several years, perhaps a little less.

most bridges depend on size and how fast they want it...so to clean it up investigate/bodies so many months &..engineering .say 10 months then it depends on if they will use what is left standing. 2 yr minimum. Then i am thinking 3 shifts 7 days a week. unions for sure....tons of iron workers..and 10 electricians to start. .cranes / carpenters etc 3.5-4 years is my guess. if they go slow 4.5-5 yrs.

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master
most bridges depend on size and how fast they want it...so to clean it up investigate/bodies so many months &..engineering .say 10 months then it depends on if they will use what is left standing. 2 yr minimum. Then i am thinking 3 shifts 7 days a week. unions for sure....tons of iron workers..and 10 electricians to start. .cranes / carpenters etc 3.5-4 years is my guess. if they go slow 4.5-5 yrs.
What bodies, I think we're at 1 or 2 , with another 5-6 missing, I hear they were illegals doing asphalt patching, there wont be much of a search. Nothing to investigate either since we know the cause.

I agree it could take a long time since the US is so pathetic right now, it all depends on how soon they can mobilize the equipment to start removing debris.

The truth is I dont care either way, perhaps they should just clean it up and not rebuild, it doesn't fit with our green future.

MrTop

EOG Master
What bodies, I think we're at 1 or 2 , with another 5-6 missing, I hear they were illegals doing asphalt patching, there wont be much of a search. Nothing to investigate either since we know the cause.

I agree it could take a long time since the US is so pathetic right now, it all depends on how soon they can mobilize the equipment to start removing debris.

The truth is I dont care either way, perhaps they should just clean it up and not rebuild, it doesn't fit with our green future.

6 dead. then to investigate the boat too..then to investigate what existing bridge members like car ramps.. will be used..i am not talking steel.......

then there is the investigation for insurance-lawsuits

Last edited:

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Nothing to rush about here. Merlin is correct, the US is pathetic and politicians are working against the people.

Baltimore has been third-world for 50-60 years, so don't bother rebuilding the bridge or the port.

MrTop

EOG Master
Nothing to rush about here. Merlin is correct, the US is pathetic and politicians are working against the people.

Baltimore has been third-world for 50-60 years, so don't bother rebuilding the bridge or the port.

biggest import/export of cars in the USA....17th biggest port overall. not a drag on economy

mr merlin

EOG Master
biggest import/export of cars in the USA....17th biggest port overall. not a drag on economy
Yup, they're overblowing it, my expert opinion as a maritime accident guru as well as decades in bridge construction is to start cleaning up the mess.

They need to call in the wolf.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
Can’t imagine the pucker factor for that captain. I go all oh shit when I bump my dock. Had to be an awful feeling knowing that he was gonna smoke that support.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
That reminded me from Howard Stern in "Private Parts" when he spoke about how his mom took him to "Sam sports" when he was a kid, only to read the copyright information saying that the Grand Opening" was for the upcoming weekend.

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

10 electricians ...lol And yes its all Union men doing this work

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated
We raised the Bayonne Bridge connecting Bayonne NJ and Staten Island a few years ago for this reason.It was an inconvenience for commuters for sure but the job got done and no major injuries to building trades workers(as long as Iwas there}