Some Sleeping Advice

justintalk

EOG Veteran
How many people watch tv in bed and fall asleep on their back and sleep most of the night on their backs. Sleeping rule number one don't sleep on your back because it's a lot harder to breathe at night.Sleep apnea is when your body will stop breathing for several seconds at night the older you get the more it can occur.My guess is the autopsy will reveal bob saget died from sleep apnea. Bob recently had COVID which affects your breathing and can damage your lungs.

When I hear people suddenly die in their sleep my first question is did they find the body in the supine position.
That's how they found bob.
According to a report released by the Orange County Sheriff's Office, Saget was discovered by hotel security on Sunday afternoon after his family requested a wellness check. The comedian was found deceased "in a supine position on his bed." The supine position means lying horizontally with the face and torso facing up.

When people have covid and they are in the hospital read the following.

Hospitals across the country are filled with a curious sight these days: patients lying on their bellies.
Patients almost always lie on their backs, a position that helps nurses tend to them and allows them to look around if they’re awake. But for many patients, the coronavirus crisis is literally flipping the script.
The surprisingly low-tech concept, called proning, can improve breathing in patients stricken by the respiratory distress that is the hallmark of the virus, doctors have found. It draws from basic principles of physiology and gravity. Lying on one’s stomach helps open airways in lungs that have become compressed by the fluid and inflammation unleashed by the coronavirus infection.
When patients are on their backs, “the heart is now sitting on top of the lungs and compressing it even more,” said Dr. Michelle Ng Gong, chief of the divisions of critical care and pulmonary medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the Montefiore Health System in the Bronx. “The rib cage cannot move in the usual way because it’s now up against the bed.”But, she said, “When you flip the patient onto the belly, now the back of the lungs can start to open,” allowing more air sacs to function, she said.
In addition, a larger share of the lungs is in the back of the body than the front, meaning that patients on their stomachs don’t have to support as much lung weight.Before the coronavirus pandemic, proning had been used for some very ill patients on ventilators, but not nearly as frequently as it is being tried now. That’s partly because turning heavily sedated patients onto their bellies is a labor-intensive maneuver, previously done with medical teams of as many as eight people who must carefully avoid dislodging a patient’s breathing tube or intravenous lines.
With the coronavirus producing an avalanche of patients with malfunctioning lungs, hospitals have been employing the maneuver not only for intubated and sedated patients, but for non-intubated patients who are having serious breathing trouble. In I.C.U.s, doctors are asking patients to turn onto their stomachs in hopes that the position will keep them from needing ventilators. In emergency rooms and regular hospital floors, doctors are trying tummy time with some patients whose condition is not as dire, on the theory that it might help them recover faster.Past experience has found that in ventilated patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome, or ARDS — a condition that many seriously ill Covid-19 patients develop — proning for many consecutive hours a day improves the medical outcome that matters most: survival.
“There’s a lot of evidence that it actually decreases mortality, and there are not a lot of things that actually do,” said Dr. C. Corey Hardin, a pulmonary and critical care physician at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valuist

EOG Master
I'm a bad sleeper. I sometimes grind but I can't use a dental guard as I have difficulty sleeping with one in. I grind less when I sleep on my back. I think one of the keys is the head has to be elevated a bit. I have a Fitbit that tracks sleep. I've found a) I cannot drink caffeine within 10-12 hours of going to sleep. I will toss and turn. Secondly, there's definitely a correlation between exercise and sleep quality. According to Fitbit, when I do actually get a good night sleep it's almost always a day where I worked out at the gym earlier. And there's a fine line with food. Definitely don't want to eat anything that causes indigestion, but also don't want to go to bed starving. Nuts are a good evening snack. IMO.

railbird

EOG Master
saget likely had a heart attac or stroke from booster shot. did have a cpap machine? no they would have said it if he did? was he obese? no.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Great topic, JUSTINTALK.

Joe Rogan on his podcast once visited with a sleep expert.

His name was Matthew Walker.

It was a two-hour podcast.

Searching for my notes now...

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here are my notes from the podcast...

Silly saying: You can sleep when you're dead.

The shorter your sleep, the shorter your life.

We (society) are with sleep today where we were with smoking 50 years ago.

The government should promote good sleeping habits.

If the government discourages drinking and driving, they should encourage eight hours of sleep every night.

For athletes, practice doesn't make perfect; instead, practice -- with a good night's sleep -- makes perfect.

Lack of sleep increases injury risk.

Dim the lights in the house during the evening hours.

Midnight is short for middle of the night, yet a lot of Americans are awake past 10 or 11 o'clock at night.

Sleep in a cool environment.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Joe Rogan's podcast is wildly popular and richly rewarding.

My one suggestion for Rogan: Stop with the gratuitous swearing.

Of course, Rogan is too busy counting his money to heed my fuckin' advice.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm a bad sleeper. I sometimes grind but I can't use a dental guard as I have difficulty sleeping with one in. I grind less when I sleep on my back. I think one of the keys is the head has to be elevated a bit. I have a Fitbit that tracks sleep. I've found a) I cannot drink caffeine within 10-12 hours of going to sleep. I will toss and turn. Secondly, there's definitely a correlation between exercise and sleep quality. According to Fitbit, when I do actually get a good night sleep it's almost always a day where I worked out at the gym earlier. And there's a fine line with food. Definitely don't want to eat anything that causes indigestion, but also don't want to go to bed starving. Nuts are a good evening snack. IMO.

I have a hard time digesting nuts and seeds.

Messes with my system.

MrTop

EOG Master
east coast sports bettors get very little sleep cause of the west coast games. Then if you play the stock market it does not help either.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One other note on sleep: Spend money on a quality mattress.

I've been sleeping on Tempur-Pedic mattresses for years.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Watched the masterclass from Dr. Matthew Walker and was brilliant. Some relatively common sensical ideas but things that are overlooked no doubt.

My biggest changes made that have helped for sure:

1. No coffee past noon
2. No more physical activity at night - everything in morning or early aft latest
3. No more TV watching in bed....ever.

I also supplement with melatonin and it is helpful. No morning time drowsiness and once I'm asleep, no more wakefulness throughout the early hours.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
According to Fitbit, when I do actually get a good night sleep it's almost always a day where I worked out at the gym earlier. And there's a fine line with food. Definitely don't want to eat anything that causes indigestion, but also don't want to go to bed starving. Nuts are a good evening snack. IMO.
I use FitBit too, upgraded to 'Sense' several months back. I still don't use all the features yet.

I'm fortunate to have a very tolerant system, I can drink caffeine up to bedtime and it doesn't affect my sleep. Same with diet.

Like you I do sleep better though after going to the gym, off days and I don't hit 15k steps or so my sleep seems to be compromised.

Physical activity (or lack thereof) is by far the biggest element in how well or poorly I sleep.

I sleep on my side every night, big spoon style. :)

mr merlin

EOG Master
What do you guys do when you wake up maybe an hr early and "kinda" have to go to the bathroom? you dont have to but you certainly could and it would make sleeping another hour better.

So you have the major decision of getting out of the warm bed and pissing(and getting better sleep), or toughing it out?

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Haha...... yeah I know exactly what you're talking about MM, the bladder feels full but not an emergency.

And that is one adjustment I made thru the years, drinking less at night.

As a kid you can eat a large watermelon before sleep and never get up once......

Now a late beverage or two and I'm up to piss several times in the night, LOL.

It's hell getting old.

Valuist

EOG Master
What do you guys do when you wake up maybe an hr early and "kinda" have to go to the bathroom? you dont have to but you certainly could and it would make sleeping another hour better.

So you have the major decision of getting out of the warm bed and pissing(and getting better sleep), or toughing it out?
Definitely get up. It will make it easier to fall back asleep. Other times I will just stay up and go to the gym.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I think the last time I got a good night's sleep was in the 1990s.

Last time I got more than 8 solid hours of sleep was late July, 2019 after I came home from my last Chemo stay. When I came home, I did so from having almost 100 hours of Chemo in my body so I was exhausted and the fact I could sleep in my own bed without all sorts of IV tubes in my arms was great. I would sleep for darn near 12 hours and then for about 5 days after I got home I also needed a 3-4 hour nap during the day, too.

E$

EOG Dedicated

Adult diapers, learned that one from Fishhead

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I googled the idea of sleeping on your left side is better than sleeping on your right side.

Looks like READY FREDDY had it right.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I googled the idea of sleeping on your left side is better than sleeping on your right side.

Looks like READY FREDDY had it right.
Correct, the way your stomach connects to your esophagus means that when you sleep on your right side the contents/acids can seep into the esophagus and cause irritation/ reflux, etc, on your left side they would all stay in your stomach.

Alldaycapper34

EOG Senior Member
I'll tell you a story why I don't sleep on my back. It still sticks with me to this day and it happened over 30 years ago.

My good friend's brother went off to college and drank way too much at a frat party. He died in his sleep choking on his own vomet. He was the class clown. Could make anyone laugh.

Dealing with Omicron the back soreness made it very tough to sleep. The only way I could get comfortable was on my stomach.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If Tom Brady sleeps on his stomach, I plan to follow his lead.

After all, TB12 is fabulously successful in every area of life.

My favorite part of Brady's long list accomplishments: He's 56% against the spread.

The above number is merely an estimate.

I'll research the actual rate tomorrow.