Russell Wilson

railbird

EOG Master
He use to wake up and pray at 5am, be at the beach doing wind sprints at 6 am, and doing reps with his wr in march,april,may. now ciarra drags him around to be seen at high profile events. he is toast, sad because he was very good at one time

I meant after 24/25 season. If they cut him after June 1st
Even after June 1st the 24/25 season he still counts 50 million against the cap. The dead money doesn't really make difference because the 31 million would have already been guaranteed to him.

Heim

EOG Master
I read the other day they can cut him by a certain day before his 2025 guaranteed money kicks in. If true, he's gone.

I read the other day they can cut him by a certain day before his 2025 guaranteed money kicks in. If true, he's gone.
People forget he still had 2 years left on his current contract after the trade. The extension he signed doesn't kick in until next year! It doesn't really matter when they cut him they're fucked any which way you want to look at it.

If the Broncos knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Wilson is not coming back in 2024, they may already have benched him given the team’s postseason odds currently sit at less than 1%. If they’re committed to him for the next couple of seasons, they don’t need to do anything. And if they’re somewhere in between, that’s where the balance gets tricky.

Parting with Wilson in March comes with $85 million in dead cap charges, which can be divided over the 2024 and ’25 salary caps. The way Wilson’s deal is currently constructed, though, cutting him a year later actually costs more on the cap. If the $37 million for 2025 becomes guaranteed, his dead cap number after the 2024 season goes up to $86.6 million.

The largest dead cap hit ever was $40.1 million in 2022 when the Atlanta Falcons traded Matt Ryan. That appeared to be the most boneheaded contract of all time until the Broncos told them to hold their beer.

For all intents and purposes the Broncos are stuck with Russel until the 2026 season. Unless they can find a team boneheaded enough to take on that contract.

What would I do? I would sell off everything I had of value right now that I could accumulate draft picks for. Bolles, Juedy, Sutton, Williams, Surtain and anyone else thats would garner interest.. I would then trade my top 5 pick and any other picks I get this year for more picks in the future same with 2025. So basically start 2026 with multiple 1st 2nd and 3rounders an a ton of cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: E$

Heim

EOG Master
People forget he still had 2 years left on his current contract after the trade. The extension he signed doesn't kick in until next year! It doesn't really matter when they cut him they're fucked any which way you want to look at it.

If the Broncos knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Wilson is not coming back in 2024, they may already have benched him given the team’s postseason odds currently sit at less than 1%. If they’re committed to him for the next couple of seasons, they don’t need to do anything. And if they’re somewhere in between, that’s where the balance gets tricky.

Parting with Wilson in March comes with $85 million in dead cap charges, which can be divided over the 2024 and ’25 salary caps. The way Wilson’s deal is currently constructed, though, cutting him a year later actually costs more on the cap. If the $37 million for 2025 becomes guaranteed, his dead cap number after the 2024 season goes up to $86.6 million.

The largest dead cap hit ever was $40.1 million in 2022 when the Atlanta Falcons traded Matt Ryan. That appeared to be the most boneheaded contract of all time until the Broncos told them to hold their beer.

For all intents and purposes the Broncos are stuck with Russel until the 2026 season. Unless they can find a team boneheaded enough to take on that contract.

What would I do? I would sell off everything I had of value right now that I could accumulate draft picks for. Bolles, Juedy, Sutton, Williams, Surtain and anyone else thats would garner interest.. I would then trade my top 5 pick and any other picks I get this year for more picks in the future same with 2025. So basically start 2026 with multiple 1st 2nd and 3rounders an a ton of cap space.

You probably know cap consequences better than some GMs 👏

Heim

EOG Master
I think Steelers are favored to land him but Vegas makes more sense to me.

Geez, was this the worst trade in NFL history? Worse than Hershel Walker? Let's not forget what Denver also gave up to NOLA to ink Payton to fix Bronco mess

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Pittsburgh will commit to Picket for one more season, and Wilson will not play second fiddle with his contract situation.

E$

EOG Dedicated
I am stunned that the Broncos think eating that $85 million was the best course of action. You will never convince me that it was unless they go like 12-5 this year.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I am stunned that the Broncos think eating that $85 million was the best course of action. You will never convince me that it was unless they go like 12-5 this year.
These ego maniac coaches are the problem, Wilson isn't paytons "guy" so he has to go.

Heim

EOG Master

That's 85 million in dead cap over the next two years...

Seattle fleeced them, and how ironic he heads back there. I know the new guy is not enamored with Geno.