OT: What Is All-Hallows Day and Isn't It Today?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
What is Halloween and why is it Day of Witches in Spanish? Does anyone know? Why do we give kids candy?

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
Halloween, the one Pagan ritual the Catholic church could not destroy. So they tried to assimilate it. They tried to put church meaning on it, but that just never flew. They had a very nice 1 hour show on Discovery I think. I knew the history, from Celtic to America, but learned a lot after that. In fact, it was mostly an adult's holiday, and they dressed up, not the kids. The turnip evolved to the pumpkin, much easier to carve. And the vandalism was rampant, and deadly. Some small midwest town decided enough was enough, and had the kids dress up, and gave them treats if they would not vandalize. They had a parade, a howdown and the kids went door to door, trick or treating. I think it was the 40's maybe 50's. It was so successful it was followed nationally. From it's ancient origins, that one town made Halloween what it is today. Times change, now you can eat meat or get a free half on NBA at Sky, on Friday.

Best Wishes...OF :+waving-5

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
OMNIVOROUS FROG said:
Halloween, the one Pagan ritual the Catholic church could not destroy. So they tried to assimilate it. They tried to put church meaning on it, but that just never flew. They had a very nice 1 hour show on Discovery I think. I knew the history, from Celtic to America, but learned a lot after that. In fact, it was mostly an adult's holiday, and they dressed up, not the kids. The turnip evolved to the pumpkin, much easier to carve. And the vandalism was rampant, and deadly. Some small midwest town decided enough was enough, and had the kids dress up, and gave them treats if they would not vandalize. They had a parade, a howdown and the kids went door to door, trick or treating. I think it was the 40's maybe 50's. It was so successful it was followed nationally. From it's ancient origins, that one town made Halloween what it is today. Times change, now you can eat meat or get a free half on NBA at Sky, on Friday.

Best Wishes...OF :+waving-5
You are just a plethora of knowledge Froggie! Thank You. Very interesting too.