Matt Kenseth leaving Roush

Roush Fenway Racing announced that 2011 NASCAR Nationwide Series champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will compete for the team full-time in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition beginning in 2013, while Matt Kenseth and Roush Fenway will part ways at the conclusion of the 2012 season. "Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has more than proved his abilities on the race track," said team co-owner Jack Roush. "We feel that he is not only a key piece of our team's future, but a key piece of the future of the sport. Roush Fenway is an organization with a wonderful past and present, as well as an extremely promising future, and I can't think of a better candidate than Ricky to usher in the next era of success for the team. Of course, I'd like to thank Matt Kenseth for his many years of loyal service," added Roush. "Matt has been an integral part of this organization for well over a decade, and we are extremely appreciative of his accomplishments and contributions to the team, and will always consider him a part of the Roush Fenway family."(Roush Fenway Racing)(6-26-2012)

Re: Matt Kenseth leaving Roush

The Kenseth deal blows my mind! I hope he lands in a quality ride.

I've been following Matt for many years now.

Got to know his Mom (Nicki...RIP) and Dad (Roy) back in the 90's.

I've got a lot of souvenirs of his pre-NASCAR days.

Matt Kenseth has a Sprint Cup ride in place for 2013 and beyond, the NASCAR point leader from Cambridge told the Journal Sentinel on Wednesday in his first print media interview since announcing he would leave Roush Fenway Racing at the end of the season. When that deal is announced is undetermined, Kenseth said. The decision to leave was made in a meeting last week with team owner Jack Roush, Kenseth said. "There's a lot of stuff through the season that's probably led us to this point," Kenseth said. "There isn't really a smoking gun, there really isn't an inside story about a firing or an argument or really any of that. At the end of the day, I had an opportunity to go try something else. The timing all worked out. I think everything happens for a reason. Things just kind of lined up to maybe try something else in 2013 and beyond that I'm kind of excited about.(Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)(6-27-2012)

ERLANGER, Ky. ? Matt Kenseth knows which Sprint Cup team he will drive for in 2013, but he?s not ready to reveal those plans just yet.
While all signs point to him joining Joe Gibbs Racing in 2013, neither Kenseth nor JGR team president J.D. Gibbs would say Wednesday whether Kenseth will join the organization.
Roush Fenway Racing announced Tuesday that Kenseth, the 2003 Cup champion and current points leader, would not return to the team in 2013. Kenseth, who had driven for Roush since he entered the Cup series full time in 2000 and has won 22 Cup races with the team, said Wednesday in a phone interview that he has a deal in place for 2013.
?I wish I could (say), it would be a lot easier, wouldn?t it?? Kenseth said. ?I can?t talk about where I?m going. I wish I could talk about it. I just can?t. I hope I can sooner than later.
?? It all happened in the last two or three weeks. It wasn?t anything I was looking for. Until a couple of months ago, I couldn?t really imagine being anywhere else than what I was doing.?
Sources say the new team will be Gibbs, which currently fields cars for Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch and Joey Logano. Logano is in a contract year, and Kenseth could replace him in the No. 20 Toyota or JGR could add a fourth team for Kenseth (or Logano).
Gibbs declined to talk much about Kenseth when asked Wednesday if JGR was interested in having him as a driver.

BUT am hearing the Kenseth will be in the #20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota with Home Depot and Dollar Genreal as the primary co-sponsors. Current driver Joey Logano could end up in a 4th JGR Toyota or could head elsewhere, such as the #22 Penske Racing Ford if A.J. Allmendinger doesn't return to that ride in 2013.(7-11-2012)

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Yeah there is 0 chance he doesn't end up in a quality ride. I was shocked to hear he was leaving Roush...thought he would be there until he called it quits.

Yeah there is 0 chance he doesn't end up in a quality ride. I was shocked to hear he was leaving Roush...thought he would be there until he called it quits.

According to Matt, something unraveled at Roush, in just the last 2 months that he wasn't happy with.