March Madness

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
There is no doubt we'll be seeing you on Dateline one night.

Put up a price!

Just know I have had more background checks/live scans/fingerprinting done than almost any non-criminal ever has. Officiating youth and HS hoops, working for the state/county and going thru an EXTENSIVE background check by the NV PLIB for my NV work card has seen me go get all of the above done at least 25 times. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN CLEAN AND EVERY SINGLE ONE WILL!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Winky, do you see a scenario where college coaches get a challenge like they do in the NBA? A missed call in that big of a spot would certainly make the case for it, and if not during the season, then maybe give each coach a challenge in the tournament, a missed call in the regular season isn't a big deal, but one like this one in the Dance could help determine the outcome

NONE! 0% chance! Definitely not in Reg Season games because smaller conferences don't get the coverage (and TV cameras present) that ACC, Big 12, Big 10, etc games get. For the Tourney - NO! Just opening up too big of a "can of worms" doing it.

NOTHING infuriates me more than refs running to the monitor in the last 2 minutes! I can see every so often but it seems like EVERY FUCKING CALL they run to the monitor. ENOUGH! You are good enough to ref those games. Make the call and move on. I can see some calls but not every one.

In HS we didn't get replay. Having said that there have been times when I made a call and THE ENTIRE GYM erupted. If a few do so - no biggie. But when EVETYONE does it, deep down the ref has to be wondering if they "messed" it up. I have been in situations like that where either I made a call or my partner did. If I did it I will look at my partner with a look of "did you see something different." If they did I will change the call even though it may have happened right in front of me. Sometimes having a play happen 2 feet from you gives you a worse look than someone 15+ feet away. If my partner makes a call and the gym explodes and I know they are wrong I will go to them, ask them what they saw and let them know what I saw. It is THEIR call and if they insist on keeping it - we do. Unless we are doing something like a Freshman game and the ref is a rookie. In that case, because I am the Ref (He is the official) I will step in and change the call but if it is a veteran official, the call stands. I say that because sometimes I have made a call and the gym exploded. My partner will come talk to me and I will say I know the ball went off of white but I am still giving white the ball because I passed on calling a foul on blue. I chose not to call a foul, instead giving white the ball. I have had times where the red coach will let me know I missed a travel on white. White may have travelled but there was more to the play so I will reply saying, "You mean the one caused by your guy fouling him?" That lets him know I know there was a travel but there was also a foul on his player I did not call. That shuts them up ASAP.

howid

EOG Dedicated
In HS we didn't get replay. Having said that there have been times when I made a call and THE ENTIRE GYM erupted. If a few do so - no biggie. But when EVETYONE does it, deep down the ref has to be wondering if they "messed" it up. I have been in situations like that where either I made a call or my partner did. If I did it I will look at my partner with a look of "did you see something different." If they did I will change the call even though it may have happened right in front of me. Sometimes having a play happen 2 feet from you gives you a worse look than someone 15+ feet away.

kind of in a similar vein, in football when there is a fumble and players from both teams are diving into a pile, when I see all the defensive players indicating their possession I get confident when the refs do their diligence the defense will be awarded recovery.

also when listening to a game on the radio you don't have to wait for the play by play dude to tell you if a pass is complete or not, just listen to the crowds reaction.

Heim

EOG Master
Having only one go to guy finally caught up to SDST. You can get away with defense and limited offensive options in MWC, but this is another level.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Put up a price!

Just know I have had more background checks/live scans/fingerprinting done than almost any non-criminal ever has. Officiating youth and HS hoops, working for the state/county and going thru an EXTENSIVE background check by the NV PLIB for my NV work card has seen me go get all of the above done at least 25 times. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN CLEAN AND EVERY SINGLE ONE WILL!

Notice Kinky doesn't post he has not or would never ever commit a sex crime. The whole post is bragging that has never and will never be caught.

Heim

EOG Master
So sick of the perceived Shaka brilliance. He had one magical year (VCU) and nothing since. Even Kenny Smith was ragging on him for double teaming State big fella Burns when he's no threat to score far from the rim... continuely leaving cutters free underneath.

Heim

EOG Master
Sad the Final Four and Championship game are on TBS....hard to believe CBS won't carry them.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
You must have been sleeping the past 15 years, Heimy. Tradition has gone the way of the underhanded free throw shot. No exceptions only scales.

blueline

EOG Master
Sad the Final Four and Championship game are on TBS....hard to believe CBS won't carry them.
Starting in 2016, TBS will have the rights to the entire Final Four every other year — meaning that over the next decade, the national semifinals will air on cable in seven years (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2024), and the title game will air on cable in five (’16, ’18, ’20, ’22 and ’24).

The move of the Final Four to cable is not the result of disinterest on the part of CBS (i.e., the Final Four is not being ‘relegated’ to cable). It is simply the case that without Turner Sports, CBS would not have any NCAA Tournament games. Under the previous TV deal, rights fees for the NCAA Tournament were set to become so onerous that CBS actually considered paying ESPN “to take the 2010 to 2013 tournaments off its hands” (NYT, 5/4/10). If Turner had not joined CBS in a joint bid for NCAA rights, CBS would have been unable to afford to carry the tournament, and ESPN almost certainly would be airing the Final Four next weekend (and every year until 2024).

blueline

EOG Master
Since Turner is the only reason CBS still has the NCAA Tournament, and since Turner is footing more than half of the bill, it only makes sense that the Turner networks would get some of the most valuable games. For CBS, a diminished role in the NCAA Tournament is far better than no role at all. CBS still has the title game six more times in this TV deal (2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021 and 2023), and the entire Final Four four more times (’17, ’19, ’21 and ’23).

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
SAT APR 6TH

UConn favored by 11 over the Tide, total 161.5 DK
Bama’s team total is 74, they have went under that number once -71. UConn has dominated tempo in every half, and have had a 30 point lead in every tourney game. Can’t see Bama down by 30, but I can see UConn dictating tempo.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
The only precedent for UCONN that I can remember is Jerry T's wunnin webels '90 and '91. Their reign of terror was stopped short by Christian Leatner and the Pukes in the fuck you final four.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
What is impressive which is redundant is their total lack of letting up when ahead. Once they take control, they go Pulp Fiction. Ask Illinois.

Heim

EOG Master
Duke was all out against Houston without their best player. Their guards made some impossible shots down the stretch to keep the margin. I didn't realize how little depth Duke has when in foul trouble. Mitchell is complete shit, Young had a career game but not much on offense. NCST guards are playing out of their minds right now. Don't get the Duke money.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
I think he elicited 15 fouls total from Vols. That's nuts.

That's why they're the only team that has a chance v. UConn.

Heim

EOG Master
Duke was all out against Houston without their best player. Their guards made some impossible shots down the stretch to keep the margin. I didn't realize how little depth Duke has when in foul trouble. Mitchell is complete shit, Young had a career game but not much on offense. NCST guards are playing out of their minds right now. Don't get the Duke money.

'I'm not as good as I once was but good once as I ever was' ~Toby Keith

Heim

EOG Master
Duke was -6 in the ACC tournament (lost to State). NCST is on a roll yet market says Duke +1 better!?

asportsguy

EOG Veteran
Zack Eddy is terrible. He is not even a first round pick in 2024. College player of the year twice not even in the first round. WOW, WOW , WOW

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Big slow white guys do not have a good recent history in the entertainment Association. Is the ape Garza still in the league?

Heim

EOG Master
I don't know his status, moreover don't see his name in mock drafts but Bama's Nelson might have been the best pro prospect on the floor yesterday.