anyone computer savvy ?

MCP

I am wanting to create a "network" but maybe that is the wrong term for what i want to do.. my main cable line is in the living room, my cable modem is in my bedroom, I want to have a modem in the living room as well without having to buy another connection fromt he cable company.. they told me i could network, but I am not too computer bright.. what do i need to do ?

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Go wireless. Call your ISP and get their wireless modem/router and they should help you from there. This will cost a few bucks up front but well worth it

MCP

Sam, it is for my sons X-box so he can play online, i dont think wireless works with the xbox..

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Sammy is correct. Wireless router will solve your problem here.

Add your Xbox video game console to your high speed wireless network with the Xbox Wireless Adapter.

MCP

wireless would require all devices to have a wireless modem, not what i am looking for...

dirty

EOG Master
Wireless will work with Xbox.....Call ISP or goto a Electronics store like Fry's or somewhere and tell them what Modem you have and what you want to do and they will get you the stuff to get up and running in about 15 minutes.:+thumbs-2

MCP

Sam Odom said:
XBox:doh1 Ok, I'm clueless about them, sorry

sam, xbox is just like a computer that doesnt have a wireless modem, it has a ethernet port just like a regular computer... without going wireless how can i make a network off of 1 connection ?

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Instead of the ethernet, use a wireless adapter. You only need One modem & one router.

Good luck

MCP

wireless seems like the popular choice ? is there much drop off in the connection speed between wireless and just plugging the ethernet cable into my computer?

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted
What you do is this:

Buy a wireless router: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005ARK3/102-7334556-2979359?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

Take the ethernet cable from your computer and plug it into the 'In' slot on the router. From there you will have 4 ports, you can use 1 port with an ethernet cable, so your desktop doestn have to be wireless. Another port can be wireless for your xbox. I have similar setup at home, I have 3 computers networked via an actual wire, and the laptop is done through the wireles..

MCP

do i need one of those plug in antenna type things for the xbox ? or does the xbox have a wireless modem that im unaware of ?

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted
MCP said:
do i need one of those plug in antenna type things for the xbox ? or does the xbox have a wireless modem that im unaware of ?

As for the XBOX, i have no idea... I have no time for video games.

If you go wireless make sure to encrype your connection. Many people don't know how to do that and their wireless connections gets stolen (usually by more than 1 person)

I have couple friends that are into networking but they don't post here. Unless you are really serious i can ask them.

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted
coconutman said:
If you go wireless make sure to encrype your connection. Many people don't know how to do that and their wireless connections gets stolen (usually by more than 1 person)

I have couple friends that are into networking but they don't post here. Unless you are really serious i can ask them.

Most linksys routers come with easy to use firewall software. All you do is check a box and set a key. It is a good thing to note though, or else you can steal the signal very easily.