Alonso vs. Vettel 2012 championship

allin1

Banned
I am thinking of putting some money on Alonso at +350 somewhere before Friday.

What do you guys think? I know Vettel is a big favorite but Alonso has been very consistent and will still have a chance imho.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast
Re: Alonso vs. Vettel 2012 championship

This week in Texas is such a tossup with the new track it probably is worth a shot.

For me though, I suspect Red Bull will be too good for Ferrari in Brazil, so Fred is not really much chance unless Vettel does not score at all in one of the last 2 races.

allin1

Banned

thanks for your thoughts optional

you know your motor racing better than me

The odds are probably spot on but I hope Alonso can get some luck. he would deserve the title after what he has accomplished with that car

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

I'd prefer to see Alonso do it too.

Would be a superb drivers effort in what wasn't the best car most of the time. He, and to an extent Vettel, have proven that it isn't all car and a great driver can make a real difference in F1 still.

LCD

Alonso is the better driver. He's had the better year with a much shittier car. Austin favors Red Bull though. Vettel qualifies first he's probably going to win so you're betting on things like safety cars or maybe Grosjean hitting him at the start or mechanical failure. That said I don't know what side of the track pole will be starting from and grip levels for a new track and didn't one of you guys say Vettel was on his last engine.

LCD

I found the second part of this article to be very interesting. It is about how Ferrari can be a second off the pace in qualifying and only a tenth of a second or two off it in the race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20210164

Just wow. This makes his performance even more impressive when you consider the huge advantage this year from starting on pole. Alonso got two back to back poles in the Britain and Germany (where he finished 1st and 2nd) and that's it. You stick all of the drivers in the same car and he'd win every year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104210

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Alonso is the better driver. He's had the better year with a much shittier car. Austin favors Red Bull though. Vettel qualifies first he's probably going to win so you're betting on things like safety cars or maybe Grosjean hitting him at the start or mechanical failure. That said I don't know what side of the track pole will be starting from and grip levels for a new track and didn't one of you guys say Vettel was on his last engine.

Yes Vettel took his last new engine in India, whilst Webber, Alonso and I think both McLarens took their last new engine in Abu Dhabi.

I don't 'think' that is going to hurt him though. Think I mentioned it in India to suggest Vettel was treating that race as important by taking it then.

allin1

Banned

thanks for the link LCD, good article

"He looks almost unbeatable when he leads, but if he needs to catch up he becomes vulnerable."

I think it's true and it goes hand in hand with Red Bull's policy to have the fastest lap in qualifying

LCD

What do you guys think of these.

Vettel to win pole -120
Alonso to win race +500

I'm going to wait till after qualifying and then probably bet .33 units (no more than that!) on Senna, Raikkonen and Rosberg for fastest lap. Tires are Medium and Hard which was the same used in Malaysia, Belgium and Italy (fastest laps for those three races by Raikkonen, Senna and Rosberg).

Let me know what to bet on and I'll try to follow with my limited American outs.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

I am thinking about

Maldonado Top3 in Quali, should be around +1500-2000. Thinking about his genuine top 3 performance in Abu Dhabi quali.

Riciardo for another top 10 finish in the Torro Rosso, afetr turning it around in Spa he only missed a points finish once in the last 5 races and is still offered at good odds for it.

I like NO safety car if I can get even money or better.

Leaning Hamilton to win the race but want to see some practice before backing him, if i do at all. If Button looks like he gets his car balanced on Friday I might even switch over to him. Both depending on the Red Bulls not coming out and looking totally dominant of course.

I'd like to bet on Hamilton to top Practice session 1, but +180 is way too low a price to bother in something as hard to predict as that I think.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Do you know if the extra set are Hards or Mediums?

I guess an extra set of mediums would lend itself to a plan of running some quali type runs in P1?

McLaren always seem to run some fast laps in P1 whilst RBR and Ferrari not always. So if it encourages them to it's probably bad for the Hamilton bet if anything I guess.

LCD

I couldn't find anything about it.

There's now a 20% chance of rain on Saturday and 10% on Sunday.

It's going to be fun to watch a race not in the middle of the night.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Hopefully it's a good enough event to get Americans excited. Great timing to have a WDC decider race to kick it off.

Anyone know why these 2 head to heads are so skewed? Can't see any news to explain it.

Fri 11/16 1011 Daniel Ricciardo (Qualifying) -350
10:00AM 1012 Jean-Eric Vergne (Qualifying) +260

Fri 11/16 1017 Pastor Maldonado (Qualifying) -485
10:00AM 1018 Bruno Senna (Qualifying) +350

I get why the faves are faves... but +260 and +350??

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

No where i have money is offering Vettel v Webber as a quali matchup this week.

Took Hamilton to out qualify Vettel +140 for 1.5u

and this +350 parlay for .5u

1. 11/16/2012 11:00 AM Trucks Motor Racing 4505 Nelson Piquet Jr* -115 vs Johnny Sauter
  2. 11/16/2012 10:00 AM Formula1 Motor Racing 1002 Lewis Hamilton (Qualifying)* +140 vs Sebastian Vettel (Qualifying)

LCD

I watched a lap of Austin today. The first corner is uphill and blind. There could be a whole bunch of lols on Sunday. Also Button said that P2 is better than pole because the run from that side is flatter and the person in that position will be the only one of the whole field who will actually be able to see the apex at the start. Good times.

"I think so," he said when asked if he expected some first corner chaos. "You're going to want to qualify well here because people are going to be trying unusual things into Turn 1.

"The trouble is that we will all get there and we won't have a clue where the apex is because the only car that will know will be the car on the inside [at the front] because he's the only one who will be able to see it.

"The rest of us will be in no-man's land so a good start is important.

"Also, coming off the startline straight into a hill, the braking point is very different.

"When you brake two metres later up the hill, it's like braking one metre later on a flat surface so there are going to be a lot of people playing around with braking and not many are going to get it right into Turn 1 at the start."

allin1

Banned

Very interesting. I hope nobody will end the race early for Vettel or Alonso.

LCD

This race has Grosjean/Kobayashi first corner disaster written all over it.

LCD

Ah yeah. Especially since Maldonado will probably qualify well.

McLaren looking good so far.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Looks like the makings of a great track!

Hopefully everyone will be so aware of the potential problem at turn 1 off the start all will go well.

Although you just know if 80% of the field takes it conservative someone is going to try and take advantage and push it I guess.

Anyone have a bet on P1? I got Hamilton at +190 for .5u

LCD

I think he's got it but Vettel's making a move.

Ah and Alonso now in third.

But Red Bull shouldn't show its hand yet. Just pray for 15 minutes.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

The track is improving every lap. Will probably just come to who is out last on the best tyres. maybe Maldonado or Rosberg or someone unexpcted.

Although as i type that Lewis puts in a better best lap

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Oh well. Hamilton wasn't on track at the end so i had no hope.

1.4second gap shows it was all track/tires i think.

That breaks a streak of 5 practice sessions I have cashed too :\

LCD

What do you have next. With the elevation changes, the new track and the weird camber on some turns I might have to see if I can bet on a safety car.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Safety Car will likely be juiced with so much TV time to be spent talking about the turn 1 issue at the start.

And apart from that one issue there is loads of runoff and I 'assume' excellent provisions to remove stranded cars. Not so sure taking NO might not be a better play if the odds blow out on it.

If I was the organizers i would have a team at the top of turn 1 ready to remove anything from a first turn incident before the cars come back around too.

LCD

Right now it's -130ish for a Safety Car. I would have to assume that many of the people working at the track are inexperienced Americans and the US is anal beyond anal about safety.

Forgetting the 2005 US Grand Prix which was the joke race remember 2004 when there was a collision in the first turn. They had a safety car for five laps after that on a 2.6 mile course.

LCD

I think it's a great course. If Alonso and/or Hamilton can qualify second or fourth I might jump on that. Did you see Kobayashi lock up three times in 15 seconds.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Yeah, I assume that was related to his broken exhaust problem.

Wish they would show us more of the run from turn 2 to turn 10. have hardly seen it outside a couple of onboard shots.

LCD

Yeah, they're obsessed with the back side of the course. There was one sweet helicopter shot of that section I think. McLaren looks like they're dialed in. Alonso kept on messing up that one corner. I think Vettel takes the pole. It's going to be a crappy price after his times in both practices today.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Looks like i was wrong about RBR gearing him high, although they could still switch that tomorrow i guess. (although why would you)

$1.55 for pole on BF right now is probably as good as it will get for Vettel I imagine. :(

LCD

Did you hear the Brawn interview where they were talking about how slippery the surface is. Like you slide when you even walk on the track. Definitely thinking about the safety car bet. Cars were definitely squirelly.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Yeah it sounds like it is so slippery some cars won't get their tyres switched on for quali, if at all.

Anyone who tries a pass will have to move off the line onto the slippery stuff. So you are probably right.

allin1

Banned

Hey guys, this track is great. I love it, I can't wait to see them race on it.

I am thinking of betting Hamilton for pole. He was untouchable last GP, he would have won comfortably without the car failure. I fancy him around this track too.

Optional

EOG Enthusiast

Formula 1 just doesn't look like F1 in the morning light does it.