150th Run for the Roses

cheapseats

EOG Master
I know EOG has some very accomplished horse cappers. Anybody wish to respond. I have decided to spend the day at Fantasy Springs OTB, in the Coachella Valley.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I will be watching workouts tomorrow morning at Churchill Downs.

Fierceness, the morning-line favorite, drew post 17 for Saturday's big race.

I prefer the laterunning Sierra Leone, the second choice in the program, over Fierceness.

The new $200 million dollar paddock (edit) at Churchill Downs looks spectacular.

Last edited:

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
The new $20 million dollar paddock at Churchill Downs looks spectacular.
YouTube reports the cost was actually $200 million for the new paddock.
Looks very good from the YouTube news reports but it’s very exclusive for the well heeled.
Fans can get inside the middle of the paddock if they pony up enough $$.
They’re selling table reservations behind the glass overlooking the horse saddling stalls for thousands on Derby and Oaks Days.
Pass.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
You can get anywhere you want to go at Churchill Downs...for a price.

Twenty years ago, Churchill Downs advertised two prices for Derby Day: $20 for general admission and $30 for clubhouse admission.

Times change.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
A teller from Arlington had some type of credentials to work Derby day.
He never did and gave them to me so I had free admission...only requirement was had to wear a white shirt with a collar

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A teller from Arlington had some type of credentials to work Derby day.
He never did and gave them to me so I had free admission...only requirement was had to wear a white shirt with a collar

Good one, BLUE.

Here's a similar tale: After my high school days as an Andy Frain usher, I turned in my uniform (blue suit, blue pants and white gloves) but I kept my distinctive-looking Andy Frain hat.

The Andy Frain hat served as my parking pass over the next five years at Arlington, Sportsman's, Hawthorne, Maywood and Balmoral.

Those were the days.

Fun times.

1714430847581.png

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
$200 Million I wonder how much profit?
They’re continually expanding their mufti pronged business model in racing, gaming, and in the online gaming space.
Leaders in their industry.
The new paddock is good for business.
They’re scaling up operationally pretty well the past several years.
It is sad what happened with Arlington, though, most racing fans would agree.

Valuist

EOG Master
I don’t think it’s just Fierceness and Sierra Leone. We see many runaway Florida Derby winners find it more difficult getting away from the speed biased track.

blueline

EOG Master
Good one, BLUE.

Here's a similar tale: After my high school days as an Andy Frain usher, I turned in my uniform (blue suit, blue pants and white gloves) but I kept my distinctive-looking Andy Frain hat.

The Andy Frain hat served as my parking pass over the next five years at Arlington, Sportsman's, Hawthorne, Maywood and Balmoral.

Those were the days.

Fun times.

View attachment 7470916
Parked on the street near Churhill for Derby trips...free admission and parking.....those were fun times

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
The courier journal wrote this story about price of admission.

This was their very brief pricing summary.
Importantly general admission includes a free program!

Here’s my take on this year’s Derby….

Fierceness towers over this field in terms of the speed figure earned in his recent Florida Derby victory including: Beyer= 110; BRIS= 106; TimeformUS= 126; and Thorograph= -3.25. However, when things don’t go perfectly his way, he seems to throw in a clunker…his running style suggests he wants to be on or very near the lead and even though he has drawn an “ok” post (17), there is lots of other early speed types that may make things difficult? As the likely race favorite, I’m going to pass.

Sierra Leone is a deep, deep closer and the clear second choice…I’m not crazy about his post position (2) as he will need a great ride to overcome all the traffic he will most likely encounter…Very hard to like at what figures to be a short price (3/1 or less).

I’m going to take a swing at what could possible be the best trip horse…Just A Touch @ 10/1 or higher. I hate that he’s lightly raced with only 3 lifetime starts; but if he breaks sharp, I think he will be able to rate kindly off all the other early speed…The connections (Cox and Geroux) should be familiar with Mandolund’s run in 2021 and will hopefully duplicate that trip!

For underneath, I’m looking to use a different deep closer, Honor Marie @ 25/1 plus…Again, will need to get very lucky for this horse to hit the board; but, I like his past success at Churchill and his recent second place (improving) effort in the Louisiana Derby.

Best of luck to everyone!

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Fierceness towers over this field in terms of the speed figure earned in his recent Florida Derby victory including: Beyer= 110; BRIS= 106; TimeformUS= 126; and Thorograph= -3.25. However, when things don’t go perfectly his way, he seems to throw in a clunker…his running style suggests he wants to be on or very near the lead and even though he has drawn an “ok” post (17), there is lots of other early speed types that may make things difficult? As the likely race favorite, I’m going to pass.

Sierra Leone is a deep, deep closer and the clear second choice…I’m not crazy about his post position (2) as he will need a great ride to overcome all the traffic he will most likely encounter…Very hard to like at what figures to be a short price (3/1 or less).

I’m going to take a swing at what could possible be the best trip horse…Just A Touch @ 10/1 or higher. I hate that he’s lightly raced with only 3 lifetime starts; but if he breaks sharp, I think he will be able to rate kindly off all the other early speed…The connections (Cox and Geroux) should be familiar with Mandolund’s run in 2021 and will hopefully duplicate that trip!

For underneath, I’m looking to use a different deep closer, Honor Marie @ 25/1 plus…Again, will need to get very lucky for this horse to hit the board; but, I like his past success at Churchill and his recent second place (improving) effort in the Louisiana Derby.

That was a brutal draw for him. Agree he will have to get very lucky with his running style. No strong opinion, I've been very impressed with Forever Young, and if around the ML will be my play. He's been a single in both his Dubai races so doesn't owe me anything. I'll be spread deep in horizontals.

jasson621

EOG Dedicated

Nice take GL.

jasson621

EOG Dedicated
That was a brutal draw for him. Agree he will have to get very lucky with his running style. No strong opinion, I've been very impressed with Forever Young, and if around the ML will be my play. He's been a single in both his Dubai races so doesn't owe me anything. I'll be spread deep in horizontals.
I was looking at the 11 also, DRF implied other Japanese horse the 10 worked better than him also( maybe help price). I would like 12-1 or so and I will be in deep on 11.

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated
You can get anywhere you want to go at Churchill Downs...for a price.

Twenty years ago, Churchill Downs advertised two prices for Derby Day: $20 for general admission and $30 for clubhouse admission.

Times change.
I don't know what those prices were for. I live in L.A.(Louisville Area) and people i know that have been going for yrs have paid wayyyy more than that for club seats wayyyyyyyy down the track end, going back 10-15 yrs.

I haven't been to the infield since 95 or 96, and i paid $20 general admission for infield in 94 , and $25 0r $30 in 95 or 96.

My bro went w/ his GF probably 10 yrs back and paid over $200 a seat for club seats way down by the 4th/last turn.

Derby has always been pricey. But yes, since they've been expanding and building and buying up all the homes around the area to demolish and make more room over past 10-15 yrs, it's been getting out of control.

But no different than any pro sports events for championships or playoffs.

Valuist

EOG Master
I was looking at the 11 also, DRF implied other Japanese horse the 10 worked better than him also( maybe help price). I would like 12-1 or so and I will be in deep on 11.

Definitely have to use the 11. Fierceness the one to beat but I think the 11 has the best shot to beat him.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
What self respecting handicapper can make his selection for the Derby without first consulting the “experts” at Wagertalk?
So Kelly Stewart and Marco D’Angelo are the insiders, right?
Next, I was compelled to click on their YouTube and get the goods.

Kelly, who looks like she’s had her face (and neck) peeled, waxed, and Botoxed more than Wayne Newton, has no opinions on the race.
Marco starts his analysis by saying that the Derby is a parimutuel betting proposition which is different and better than sports betting
where you are betting against the Sports Books.
This is complete nonsense and insulting to sports bettors.
Next, he says there’s an abundance of dead money in horse racing.
Again, complete nonsense with huge betting syndicates in the pools.
And no mention of the 17.5% track takeout on WPS or 22% on exactas.
Not worth even mentioning?

We move on.
He makes a case for Fierceness, Sierra Leone, Just a touch, Forever Young, and Endlessly. Man’s a genius I’d say.
No discussion of breeding, weight, jockeys or trainers.

Next Kelly tells you to click on his website, and buy his picks.
Disappointed by these experts to say the least.

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated
I don't know what those prices were for. I live in L.A.(Louisville Area) and people i know that have been going for yrs have paid wayyyy more than that for club seats wayyyyyyyy down the track end, going back 10-15 yrs.

I haven't been to the infield since 95 or 96, and i paid $20 general admission for infield in 94 , and $25 0r $30 in 95 or 96.

My bro went w/ his GF probably 10 yrs back and paid over $200 a seat for club seats way down by the 4th/last turn.

Derby has always been pricey. But yes, since they've been expanding and building and buying up all the homes around the area to demolish and make more room over past 10-15 yrs, it's been getting out of control.

i texted my bro to ask him what yr it was he went and what area he was in and the price, but i aint heard back.

Saw this on local news about locals and parking at their homes. This has went on for decades, probably since cars were invented. When i saw $20 i thought "damn, that's cheap." but then towards end of vid they mention $100 for some areas close to the track. That makes sense. Because we paid $15 back in mid 90s, and we were kinda far away from the track. I remember we paid $5 to a person driving a lawn tractor with a homemade flat bed trailer hitched to it, to haul us to the entranceway on backside. There would be people driving those Polaris or Deere 4W vehicles with seats and little dump beds, or people in golf carts, all offering to drive people to the track.

30 yrs ago(and even farther back) it was wild around Derby time in that area of town.

There used to be a huge block party on Central Ave Derby eve. And Central was just a small street, just one lane each way. And all these little row homes or shotgun style homes lined up each side. people would have grills going in their yards, smokers going, some people would set up carnival style vending food trucks on the curb in front of their home. There would be bouncy houses, for adults. There'd be people pitching horse shoes, or playing volleyball in their yard. Fireworks. It was just one big street party between either 3rd or 4th st, and to Taylor Ave. People would be passed out on people's lawns. I say lawn, but the yards weren't much. You could cut the whole grass w/ a weed eater. But it was a fun time.
Cops would be there, but they didn't ask questions and just set up on different corners and were there just in case a huge fight broke out, which they always did.
But you could be high and carry open beer down the street. We went in HS 2 times, 90 and 91, in 91 i remember we had a little red wagon and had our older buddies buy us a keg. We pulled that wagon down the street and was drinking and hooking friends up with beers. And we were only 17/18 yrs old. Cops never said anything.
But the fun or craziness ended about 30 yrs ago. I'm not sure exact yr, but seems like it was around 94 or 95 that it ended. By 92 they were definitely cracking down more and it wasn't an all night party w. people passed out on the street or in between homes. They'd have the cops form lines at each end of Central between 3rd or 4th and Taylor Aver at other end, and they'd walkd towards each other clearing everyone out at midnight.

About the same time Central Ave was getting remolded and revamped. A lot of the homes got bought out and demolished for Churchill expansion. Central Ave was widened to 2 lanes each way and now it goes all the way to Crittenton Dr. UofL built the football stadium , the baseball stadium, and old train depot lot was revamped, and an overpass was built, a shopping center w/ a Kroger, all sorts of stuff were built staring in late 90s into early 00s.

Last edited:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
What self respecting handicapper can make his selection for the Derby without first consulting the “experts” at Wagertalk?
So Kelly Stewart and Marco D’Angelo are the insiders, right?
Next, I was compelled to click on their YouTube and get the goods.

Kelly, who looks like she’s had her face (and neck) peeled, waxed, and Botoxed more than Wayne Newton, has no opinions on the race.
Marco starts his analysis by saying that the Derby is a parimutuel betting proposition which is different and better than sports betting
where you are betting against the Sports Books.
This is complete nonsense and insulting to sports bettors.
Next, he says there’s an abundance of dead money in horse racing.
Again, complete nonsense with huge betting syndicates in the pools.
And no mention of the 17.5% track takeout on WPS or 22% on exactas.
Not worth even mentioning?

We move on.
He makes a case for Fierceness, Sierra Leone, Just a touch, Forever Young, and Endlessly. Man’s a genius I’d say.
No discussion of breeding, weight, jockeys or trainers.

Next Kelly tells you to click on his website, and buy his picks.
Disappointed by these experts to say the least.

These assholes are nothing but glorified touts

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

My brother got back to me:
He said he last went in either 07, maybe 08. He entered the previous yr in some lotto style drawing to be awarded chance to buy seats - he said he thought max was 2 pairs - so he got chosen and bought 2 pairs at $300 a ticket - so $600 a pair - and they were in section 223 - he put one pair on stubhub and they immediately sold for $750 EACH - so he said he cleared almost $1400 after fees and whatnot - so basically got his pair for free, plus made extra betting money.

Before that he went in '05 and paid $300 a seat in section 124 - said was row A on the rail in last turn, all he could see was the asses of the horses down the backstretch.

Valuist

EOG Master
Oaks/Derby double:

5 Torpedo Anna 11 Ways and Means 13 Just FYI

with
2 Sierra Leone 8 Just a Touch 11 Forever Young 17 Fierceness

Valuist

EOG Master
Oaks/Derby double:

with
Oaks/Derby double:

with
Alive after the Oaks as Torpedo Anna got to the lead on the rail and never was headed. Just about 9/2.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Paul J. Matties, Jr. appeared on Krackman’s podcast and proclaimed his Derby pick is Fierceness.
He’s also on record predicting the track record owned by Secretariat may be in jeopardy today.

Weather forecast is for possible showers this afternoon ending by 4:00 pm and high 80 degrees.
Fast track unlikely.

Valuist

EOG Master
Who are you guys going with if it's a muddy track today if it rains right before?

These are 3 year olds so most don't have more than 5 or 6 races to go by. One of the Japanese runners has only 2 races.

It would appear Mystik Dan moves up the most if its a wet track. He won the Southwest at Oaklawn by 8 lengths in the mud, beating fellow Derby runner Just Steel and earning career bests 101 Beyer and a 0 TG in that race. In his next race, the Ark Derby, he ran 3rd behind Baffert runner Muth. Just Steel, 8 lengths behind him in the mud beat him by 4 on the dry track.

As for Fierceness, he won his debut in the Saratoga mud by 11 lengths. But that was 6 furlongs vs Mdns. His worst race was in the slop at Aqueduct, losing the Champagne by 20 lengths, so I would say Fieceness defnitely better on a dry. Sierra Leone has run twice on off tracks; winning the Risen Star at the FG and losing the Remsen by a nose at Aqu. He's by Gun Runner (by Candy Ride) out of a Malibu Moon mare so breeding wise, he should like an off track.

Valuist

EOG Master
For those planning on betting the Preakness in two weeks, you might want to watch Churchill's 3rd. Mindframe is making career start number 2. IMO, it was the best debut I've seen since Curlin......back in 2007. Giant win at 7f over the GP track. 103 Beyer and a 0 Thorograph. Is Pletcher using this race as a prep for the Preakness or Belmont? Hard to imagine this horse goes off anywhere near the 2/1 morning line. I'd expect 3/5

1714827710812.png

dfish

EOG Addicted
For those planning on betting the Preakness in two weeks, you might want to watch Churchill's 3rd. Mindframe is making career start number 2. IMO, it was the best debut I've seen since Curlin......back in 2007. Giant win at 7f over the GP track. 103 Beyer and a 0 Thorograph. Is Pletcher using this race as a prep for the Preakness or Belmont? Hard to imagine this horse goes off anywhere near the 2/1 morning line. I'd expect 3/5

View attachment 7470937
Impressive , Fierceness lays egg sure to replace .