Weekend Blog by John Kelly

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.....Winning teams on "Wild Card Weekend" must avoid a sense of satisfaction heading into this weekend's divisional playoff round.
Round One winners typically face a difficult task in Round Two. The opening- week survivors must travel to enemy territory to meet a well-rested division champion sporting a lofty record.

This coming weekend, the home teams - Indianapolis, San Diego, New Orleans and Minnesota - are favored by a combined 24 points. Last weekend, the four home teams - Cincinnati, Dallas, New England and Arizona - were favored by a combined seven points ('Zona closed a 2.5-point underdog at most sports books).

Questions abound heading into the second week of NFL playoff action: Will the top-ranked Jets defense, led by lockdown cornerback Darrelle Revis, perform well against the red-hot Chargers and their vertical passing game? Will Dallas coach Wade Phillips and quarterback Tony Romo be satisfied and relieved to finally win a playoff game, and regress off their huge performance against rival Philadelphia? Will the Baltimore defense parlay its victory over Tom Brady with a win over Peyton Manning, if Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco completes only four passes for 34 yards? Will Arizona duplicate last season's surprise playoff run in what could be quarterback Kurt Warner's final season?

NFL playoff questions are simple; the answers can be elusive.

SCORING OUTBURSTS.....No matter the sport, a team's ability to score unanswered points is the mark of a championship-caliber club. Likewise, teams that surrender points without responding on the offensive end are found near the bottom of the league standings. Shrewd gamblers focus on teams that can simultaneously produce points and prevent them.
Basketball is often referred to as a "game of runs." Scoring runs of 8-0, 10-2 or 12-4 are commonplace. Scoring outbursts in football are less frequent, but far more significant.

Check out last weekend's NFL playoff games. The New York Jets scored 21 unanswered points after Cincinnati jumped to an early 7-0 lead. The Jets won, 24-14. Dallas beat Philadelphia 34-14, thanks to an explosive 24-point second quarter. Baltimore pounced on New England with a 24-point first quarter en route to a convincing 33-14 victory. Arizona scored 17 unanswered points to start the game against Green Bay, forcing the Packers to play catch-up the remainder of the contest. In a game Green Bay never led, Arizona survived in overtime, 51-45.

Scoring runs not only provide a cushion on the scoreboard, but they also supply all-important momentum for the remainder of the game.

WHAT A GAME, AIKMAN, WHAT A GREAT GAME.....Those were the words of Fox broadcaster Joe Buck after Green Bay scored early in the fourth quarter to narrow Arizona's lead to 38-31.

Buck made a common mistake committed by many broadcasters. He mistook a high-scoring game for a well-played game.

Intelligent gamblers know better. We understand most high-scoring games are not played at a high level. Give me the defensive efforts of Baltimore, Dallas or the New York Jets over the pathetic defense displayed yesterday in Glendale, Arizona.

DULL DUNGY.....It took four months, but we finally heard an interesting line from Tony Dungy, the coach-turned-analyst whose commentary is featured on NBC's NFL telecasts. When asked to comment on Pete Carroll's impending move from college football to pro football, Dungy said, "Carroll will find it's far more difficult to coach rich 25-year-olds rather than poor 19-year-olds."

FUNNY, NOT FACTUAL.....Poor 19-year-olds playing sports at USC? I don't think so. Dungy must be unaware of USC's recent problems with the NCAA. I'd wager Reggie Bush, O.J. Mayo and Joe McKnight never ordered from the Dollar Menu at McDonald's.

ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION.....No single individual (or four individuals, for that matter) is bigger than Tennessee's men's basketball program. Late last week, Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl dismissed starting forward Tyler Smith from the team and indefinitely suspended center Brian Williams and guards Cameron Tatum and Melvin Goins following their arrests for unlawful weapon possessions. The quartet accounted for 32 points and 14 rebounds through Tennessee's first 12 games.

The Vols pulled off a mild upset yesterday when they bested previously-undefeated Kansas, 76-68. The short-handed five-point underdog, with a rotation that featured three walk-ons, played inspired basketball before a faithful crowd of 21,936 in Knoxville.

CRITICISM FOR ALAN BOSTON.....Most listeners appreciated Boston's debut last week on "Winning Wednesdays," an Internet radio show dedicated to sports bettors worldwide.

EOG contributor Gary S. fell in the minority. Gary was not impressed with Boston's monologue dealing with college basketball's coaching hierarchy.

"Be sure to challenge Boston when he starts comparing Mike Krzyzewski with Stew Morrill," said Gary. "Boston is comparing apples and oranges. Coach K is competing for a national title every year, while Morrill's goal is simply to make the tournament. It's a ridiculous comparison."

IT'S THE BIG PICTURE, NOT THE SNAPSHOT.....Professional sports bettor Ken Weitzner, aka "The Shrink," doesn't win every week or every month. He does win every year, however. Weitzner has recorded profits betting sports each of the past 10 years.

"The Shrink" credits his sports betting success to the knowledge gained from Billy Walters, a high-stakes sports gambler willing to wager a million dollars on a single game. Weitzner served as Walters' understudy for more than five years.

Weitzner released three plays last week on his Internet radio show. All three plays lost in miserable fashion.

Several of Weitzner's followers voiced displeasure with the 0-3 performance. The sour reaction highlights one of the most glaring errors committed by amateur gamblers: drawing erroneous conclusions from a small sample of results.

Don't judge Weitzner on the basis of three plays. Instead, judge Weitzner on his 2009 documented radio record of 30-19-2. Or judge Weitzner on his performance in the Money Talks Invitational, his title run in 2008 and his appearance in the semis in 2009. Or better yet, judge Weitzner on his impressive streak of ten straight winning seasons. It's the big picture that counts, not the snapshot.

COMING FRIDAY.....I'll reveal my favorite angles for Saturday's college basketball card.

JK

munson15

I want winners...
Re: Weekend Blog by John Kelly

Lots of good points, John. I would mildly disagree, however, on the gb/ARZ scoring deluge. That's what TV wants, it's what Joe Public wants, and if you ever watch NFL Films' "Greatest Games", the vast majority of them are high-scoring affairs. Games that give defensive coordinators gray hair, with blown coverages and missed tackles, are usually the ones most people remember. Being a purist, I'll take the Ice Bowl (21-17) or the Jets upset in SB III (16-7) as the games that burned an image onto my hard drive of NFL memories, but I'm afraid I fall into the minority of fans on that count.

Heim

EOG Master

>CRITICISM FOR ALAN BOSTON.....Most listeners appreciated Boston's debut last week on "Winning Wednesdays," an Internet radio show dedicated to sports bettors worldwide.

EOG contributor Gary S. fell in the minority. Gary was not impressed with Boston's monologue dealing with college basketball's coaching hierarchy.

"Be sure to challenge Boston when he starts comparing Mike Krzyzewski with Stew Morrill," said Gary. "Boston is comparing apples and oranges. Coach K is competing for a national title every year, while Morrill's goal is simply to make the tournament. It's a ridiculous comparison."

--------------------------------------------------

Wait a sec. Now you're infusing programs into the mix. Of course the above is true but what does that have to do with coaching? Put Morrill at Duke and how many banners does he take home?

Duke gets 2-3 McDonald's AA every year Morrill hopes to get a few intramural guys
that moonlight at Burger King to field enough to practice. Morrill is a better coach.
All you had to do was watch his out-manned team almost beat Marquette in
last years tourney as a 11th seed to realize that.....Duke, oh yeah, they beat
up on the Belmont's by one as 20 point favorites (lol).

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

wish he's throw in a pick a day instead of one a week--he's damn good in hoops and baseball totals

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

ok... so JK says:

"one of the most glaring errors committed by amateur gamblers: drawing erroneous conclusions from a small sample of results."

and then proceeds to say:
"Instead, judge Weitzner on his 2009 documented radio record of 30-19-2"

51 games IS a small sample.

ok... so JK says:

"one of the most glaring errors committed by amateur gamblers: drawing erroneous conclusions from a small sample of results."

and then proceeds to say:
"Instead, judge Weitzner on his 2009 documented radio record of 30-19-2"

51 games IS a small sample.

He was comparing 51 games to 3...:cheers

IT'S THE BIG PICTURE, NOT THE SNAPSHOT.....Professional sports bettor Ken Weitzner, aka "The Shrink," doesn't win every week or every month. He does win every year, however. Weitzner has recorded profits betting sports each of the past 10 years.

"The Shrink" credits his sports betting success to the knowledge gained from Billy Walters, a high-stakes sports gambler willing to wager a million dollars on a single game. Weitzner served as Walters' understudy for more than five years.

Weitzner released three plays last week on his Internet radio show. All three plays lost in miserable fashion.

Several of Weitzner's followers voiced displeasure with the 0-3 performance. The sour reaction highlights one of the most glaring errors committed by amateur gamblers: drawing erroneous conclusions from a small sample of results.

Don't judge Weitzner on the basis of three plays. Instead, judge Weitzner on his 2009 documented radio record of 30-19-2. Or judge Weitzner on his performance in the Money Talks Invitational, his title run in 2008 and his appearance in the semis in 2009. Or better yet, judge Weitzner on his impressive streak of ten straight winning seasons. It's the big picture that counts, not the snapshot.

JK

Let's look at exactly what he wrote...

I believe you are taking things out of context....

THE SHRINK

dogball

EOG Master

51 games is small enough sample to make a large amount of money if you followed. :cheers

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

one of the most glaring errors committed by amateur gamblers: drawing erroneous conclusions from a small sample of results.

is 51 games a small sample of results, yes or no ?

can't have it both ways. unless you are saying 51 is plenty and that you are a 62% capper

munson15

I want winners...

one of the most glaring errors committed by amateur gamblers: drawing erroneous conclusions from a small sample of results.

is 51 games a small sample of results, yes or no ?

can't have it both ways. unless you are saying 51 is plenty and that you are a 62% capper
10 consecutive winning seasons would represent a rather large sample size, to my way of thinking.:cheers

ComptrBob

EOG Master

10 consecutive winning seasons would represent a rather large sample size, to my way of thinking.:cheers

Exactly where is the documentation for this? How many picks? Please provide the sport by sport breakdown.

Thanks.

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

Bob, what is a sufficient sample size... I think it is somewhere around 250-300 plays not 51, but I trust your knowledge..

Exactly where is the documentation for this? How many picks? Please provide the sport by sport breakdown.

Thanks.

Call up CRIS, PINNACLE, AND GRANDE if you need some proof...

I can furnish u with many account numbers..

I have lost at some sports but not overall for an entire year...

I have been tossed from over 50 places during this span as well, and it wasn't for losing...

I cannot provide you with every single bet I made over the past 10 years...

But I will also add that before I met BW, I NEVER had a winning season either.. 12io4j2w90

THE SHRINK

munson15

I want winners...

I made my statement with the assumption that we would not question the veracity of John Kelly's blog.

Ace

EOG Veteran

shrink can you get billy walters on winning wednesdays?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I have a pair of impeccable sources who answer phones at two of the most respected offshore sports betting locations. They've informed me "Shrink" is a long-term winner. As for the ten-year winning streak, I trust Ken to tell the truth.

railbird

EOG Master

Is Shrink playing his own or just playing billys? What % of Shrinks plays are his original thoughts.

ComptrBob

EOG Master

I have a pair of impeccable sources who answer phones at two of the most respected offshore sports betting locations. They've informed me "Shrink" is a long-term winner. As for the ten-year winning streak, I trust Ken to tell the truth.

You're joking, right? Sounds like a job for JoeFlex ... LOL

ComptrBob

EOG Master

If you don't believe me, that's fine...

I can't document it so I understand your doubts...:cheers

THE SHRINK
'

I can believe that your "BW years" were probably winning years since you were betting for BW, probably getting a percentage down on those originated plays.

Alhough all small samples, you posted on EOG for a month of baseball last year, 2009, went 52-63, down -16.1 units before giving up posting picks on a regular basis. AFAIK, this Winning Wednesdays (30-22-2) is the first time you have been tracked "long term". Your Stardust and Money Talks record is 38-30-2 and you beat Fezzik in a 2006 head to head match with Hilton lines, but had a losing record (can't find it right now, was it around 48%?). <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

not hating its a discussion, i think its funny that jk talks of a common mistake among amateurs judging on a small sample and then says to judge on 50 picks on the radio show.. come on..

I can believe that your "BW years" were probably winning years since you were betting for BW, probably getting a percentage down on those originated plays.

Alhough all small samples, you posted on EOG for a month of baseball last year, 2009, went 52-63, down -16.1 units before giving up posting picks on a regular basis. AFAIK, this Winning Wednesdays (30-22-2) is the first time you have been tracked "long term". Your Stardust and Money Talks record is 38-30-2 and you beat Fezzik in a 2006 head to head match with Hilton lines, but had a losing record (can't find it right now, was it around 48%?). <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

I tried to drop it but u had to go on...

There's a huge difference between posting a few selections on here compared to doing it at a franatic pace for a living...

I don't bet Baseball and I have said that many times..

Most of my plays are bet within minutes of the game, the lines often move and I don't have time to post them on these forums with bad numbers...

I am done trying to defend what JK, Fezzik and others who know me already do...

I don't sell my picks. I have no reason to exaggerate and I wasn't the one who revealed this information about me to begin with...

Have a great night,

Ken

OSU COWBOYS

EOG Dedicated

I can tell you that Kenny has been booted by 4 agents that I set him up with in the last 6 months. It wasnt for losing.

You really think the guy can put in 55% play after 55% play and not get the cheese? :+clueless

You are way brighter than that, sir. 12io4j2w90

Him posting 1% of the plays he actually makes allows for a shitload of variance which could lead you and others to believe he may not win at the rate he actually does. When you are as far ahead of the market as he is, day in and day out, game in and game out, it is impossible to lose (with any kind of money management whatsoever).

BigDaddy

EOG Master

ken wins.

his info is to strong not to win long term

why do posters want to run the good guys off?

I can tell you that Kenny has been booted by 4 agents that I set him up with in the last 6 months. It wasnt for losing.

You really think the guy can put in 55% play after 55% play and not get the cheese? :+clueless

You are way brighter than that, sir. 12io4j2w90

Him posting 1% of the plays he actually makes allows for a shitload of variance which could lead you and others to believe he may not win at the rate he actually does. When you are as far ahead of the market as he is, day in and day out, game in and game out, it is impossible to lose (with any kind of money management whatsoever).

It was actually 5 if you count the one who reduced me to 500 dollar limits...

THE SHRINK

Ace

EOG Veteran

it amazes me how many posters want to argue over every single word or concept---most posters on this site need to argue less and learn to think for themselves---maybe follow jk's advice--i listen to everyone and follow no one

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

Once again, anyone who has a discussion or is even thought to be questioning someone like the shrink, they are a hater, or a fool. boring.

shrink did not get booted for betting his own plays, id bet my 5dimes and greek balance on that.

im not going to applaud a guy for winning while piggybacking others hard work. does it make him smart because he follows walters? not really, it just means he isnt dumb enough not to.

shrink has proven he really doesnt know much about why these picks are being made, he just knows they are being made. i guess i should bow down and not question it.

this site is 3 guys who are in the know and everyone else jerking them off.. and anyone who doesnt toe that line is an idiot..hater...etc

seacrest, out.