Wow...SDST/CREIGHTON Ref Had Some Cajones....

kane

EOG master
If I was allowed the same leeway all game as a defender, I’m doing the same thing at that moment.

The debate to me about this call was did it fit the context that the crew established prior? Only 11 fouls and 17 FT’s to that point says maybe not.
You make a fair point about the way the game was officiated throughout, but I think the difference is the kid was mid air when the contact happened, if that same amount of contact happened while the offensive player was still on the floor, maybe the ref swallows his whistle, but refs are taught to protect players when they go up for a shot since they're in a vulnerable position

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
It was idiotic for McDermott to take that foul with 6 seconds. It allowed State to set up a play and re-set the clock. They were in the process of improvising with seconds ticking....

Moreover, it gave Creighton 6 fouls. Next foul, even on the floor, 1 and 1.
Agree. They were goign to get a very poor shot at that point with on 4 sec left on shotclock when they fouled. Even if they score they still have at least 2 seconds as well.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
You make a fair point about the way the game was officiated throughout, but I think the difference is the kid was mid air when the contact happened, if that same amount of contact happened while the offensive player was still on the floor, maybe the ref swallows his whistle, but refs are taught to protect players when they go up for a shot since they're in a vulnerable position

Protect the shooter definitely came into play. No question. I do wonder if the nudge was the original reason he blew the whistle or if that was his bailout after he realized he whiffed on the contact up top. Can’t see his eye level on any of the video.

I ref HS varsity and I’ll say I’m not making that call. Probably why I’ve maxed out as an official lol.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Protect the shooter definitely came into play. No question. I do wonder if the nudge was the original reason he blew the whistle or if that was his bailout after he realized he whiffed on the contact up top. Can’t see his eye level on any of the video.

I ref HS varsity and I’ll say I’m not making that call. Probably why I’ve maxed out as an official lol.

I did before I no longer could. I WOULD have made that call if I had that view. If that call was made in the first few seconds of the game no one objects to it so can't object the last few seconds.

Those complaining are also the same ones saying they should not have called holding on the Eagles near the end of the SB.

A foul/penalty in the first few seconds is the same as the last few seconds.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
I did before I no longer could. I WOULD have made that call if I had that view. If that call was made in the first few seconds of the game no one objects to it so can't object the last few seconds.

Those complaining are also the same ones saying they should not have called holding on the Eagles near the end of the SB.

A foul/penalty in the first few seconds is the same as the last few seconds.

You’re missing it wink. There were 11 fouls the whole game. It wasn’t a foul early middle and late. Other than the last seconds

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If I was allowed the same leeway all game as a defender, I’m doing the same thing at that moment.

The debate to me about this call was did it fit the context that the crew established prior? Only 11 fouls and 17 FT’s to that point says maybe not.

Good point.