What Percentage Of Non-Latin Americans Actually Like Soccer?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Are most people from the United States and Canada correct for not liking soccer? Or is the rest of the world correct- soccer (or futbol or football) is by far the best game on the planet?

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I envy anyone who can or does enjoy a sport which I find boring. I think a high % of Americans are not into soccer.

A lot of us played as kids though.

Soccer is a really great sport. You can say that it's like chess or some kind of board game where the stratergy and position of your players is more important than most sports out there.

I watch the USA women's soccer every now and then; also I try and catch Manchester United just to see what all the hype is about.

Glaken

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
I think the World Cup is great! Most of the league play is not exciting to me because I have no roots to the teams. One thing I know, every time I bet on Saprissa, they look like a bunch of 10 year olds! Costa Ricans are the nicest people in the world until their futbol team is playing and then be careful what you say or do! I am sure you can say that about most fans everywhere though!

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Thirty-odd years ago soccer fans were saying wait till these kids playing now(the kids' soccer leagues that were all the craze ) grow up and then you will see soccer take off in The States. Well, I'm still waiting! What happened?

ZZ CREAM said:
Thirty-odd years ago soccer fans were saying wait till these kids playing now(the kids' soccer leagues that were all the craze ) grow up and then you will see soccer take off in The States. Well, I'm still waiting! What happened?

I think people tend to follow in the footsteps of their parents and previous generations when it comes to passion for a sport. Lets face it you and I didn't grow up watching dad throw the remote out the back door because Manchester lost a soccer game, but I can remember many Sundays when ole dad's chair would take a beating over a Dolphins miscue.

Just as they have American football in Europe and no one watches much because they are living and dying over a soccer team that their grandfather loved.

Glaken

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Can anyone explain why injury time is not kept updated on a big screen so everyone can tell when time is out and exactly how much time is left in a game or do soccer fans prefer not knowing exactly how much time is left in a game? Because that's the way it has always been? Seems like too much of a chance for skullduggerry to me.

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
The whole timekeeping issue has always puzzled me as well. Very very odd.
As for offsides, it's the equivalent of a basketball team heading down the court on a fast break, only to be penalized because they outran the defense. My daughter played in a league this year in which the field was shortened and offsides calls were eliminated. It ALMOST made the game worth watching.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Buckeye said:
The whole timekeeping issue has always puzzled me as well. Very very odd.
As for offsides, it's the equivalent of a basketball team heading down the court on a fast break, only to be penalized because they outran the defense. My daughter played in a league this year in which the field was shortened and offsides calls were eliminated. It ALMOST made the game worth watching.
Yes, I agree Buckeye! Been saying for years that offsides should be eliminated outside the goalie-box area! Many injuries look questionable also in soccer! Why not add more substitutions too?

As with all things that differ from region to region it's all about history and the influence of those around you. Even in the UK we're split further between Rugby and Football (soccer). You grow up loving what you know and whilst I appreciate NFL and enjoy watching it (when I can be bothered to stay up until 4am) football's EVERYWHERE in Europe/Asia as are it's stars.

You ask someone in the states who Beckham or Ronaldinho are and they'll most likely know (do you?). Mention Peyton Manning in Europe and you'll be greated with blank expressions in the most part...

Does that make it the best game on the planet? Dunno, it does make it the most popular.