The Upside & Downside of Posting Your Picks...

Has anyone noticed the risk/reward ratio for gamblers who have the GUTS to post their plays on forums?

What I have noticed is that if someone releases a LOSER, there are usually far many more posters ATTACKING him than PRAISING him had his selection been a WINNER....

Why is that?

Either way, it takes THICK SKIN to post under these conditions but I really admire those a lot more who are willing to stick their necks out and take a chance, WIN OR LOSE!!!!

THE SHRINK

THE SHRINK said:
Has anyone noticed the risk/reward ratio for gamblers who have the GUTS to post their plays on forums?

What I have noticed is that if someone releases a LOSER, there are usually far many more posters ATTACKING him than PRAISING him had his selection been a WINNER....

Why is that?

Either way, it takes THICK SKIN to post under these conditions but I really admire those a lot more who are willing to stick their necks out and take a chance, WIN OR LOSE!!!!

THE SHRINK

WITH ME,IF I LOSE 4 OR 5 GAMES IN A ROW,95% OF THEM SAID:"YOU GET THEM NEXT TIME".....VERY FEW ATTACKS ON ME....I GUESS IT ALL HOW YOU POST IT....I TRY TO DO IT WITH A LITTLE CLASS AND HAVE FUN WITH IT...

THE SHRINK<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6465", true); </SCRIPT> .....YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! PEOPLE LOVE YA WHEN WINNING.....BUT BASH YA WHEN YA LOSE! IF YOU NOTICE, I DO NOT USE THE L WORD HERE AT EOG! CAUSE THE BASHERS LOVE IT WHEN YOU LOSE A L---!:D

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I have never had a problem with any of it as a poster. I used to handicap and post tons of plays. If I got a negative comment posted about me I IGNORED it. Seems easy enough to me.

It's just the human nature. The only reason the person gets bashed is because after he went on a long winning streak someone sarted following him.. and he started losing. It happens all the time, people have to understand that you have to stick with the person day in day out. Unless you're good and you can select cappers with streaks about to happen.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
I only remember you attacking me when I posted a loser The SHRINK.
Honestly, it is the toughest part knowing people who trust you also lose if you post a dud.

Best Wishes...OF:+waving-5

Ace-Ace,

I guess it's partly how you come across too. You do it well...

There are SOME who make ridiculous claims and such who deserve to get reamed I suppose...

THE SHRINK

It does not seem like much bashing here with picks and actually I have seen none. I could never understand why you would bash someone for picking a loser.

I try to encourage guys to post picks and when they lose to keep their heads up and do not chase.

I still think, the posters who post their picks are the biggest asset to the forum, or any sports handicapping forum for that matter.

The reason being that it is:-

1) a real and true expression of opinion on a game

2) a practical exercise

A forum is about discussion and exchange of opinions on games. Posting who you think will cover goes right to the essence of a forum, would it not?

Secondly, the reason Ace-Ace is probably the most popular poster is that he deals in the theoretical and the practical.

When he discusses how he handicaps, he is giving you his theoretical thoughts about how to determine who to bet on.

Then to top it all off, he actually posts a pick and bets, which is the practical application of his theories.

If you purchase a book on betting football, you purchased a theoretical item. It is only practical if you bet and win. Ace-Ace is both, theory & practice, which is better than any book that you can buy.

A lot of posters too, all theory.

:+signs9-1 :smokesmal

As for posters getting attacked when they post a pick and it turns out to be a loser!

You only get attacked if you are a jerk, or if you are a girl.

If you are a popular poster, you will recieve encouraging words of support.

If you are an irrelevant poster, you might get an inconsequential one liner by some bored fellow who happen to read your post.

As for the jerk, eventually, they run out of posters who like to reply to their messages. The jerk can jerk off in his corner, no one gonna bother him!
:+excited- :+excited- :+excited- :+excited- :+excited-

THANK POLARIS.....THAT WAS A NICE COMPLIMENT

POSTING FOR ME,HELP ME SEE WHAT I'M BETTING VS OTHER THAT SEE THE GAME DIFF///....BACK IN THE DAY OF NO FORUM.....YOU PLACE YOUR BETS AND ONLY YOU AND YOUR BOOK KNOW IF YOU ARE UP OR DOWN.
ON A FORUM,EVEN THOUGH I MAKE MY OWN PICKS....STILL I FOLLOW A FEW TO SEE HOW THEY MAKE THEIR PLAYS.....

WHEN YOU LOSE.....THERE ALWAY SOMEONE TO PICK YOU UP

WHEN YOU WIN.....IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU HELP SOMEONE,WHEN THEY SAY "GOOD JOB"

SHARING IDEAL,MAKING SOME FRIENDS,PUTTING ARE HEAD TOGETHER TO MAKE SOME MONEY

THE SPORT FORUMS DO SO MUCH MORE FOR ME(KEEP ME IN CHECK)....THE LEAST I CAN DO IS HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN

(I TOOK SO MUCH MONEY FROM THE PLAYERS WHEN I WAS A BOOKIE....NOW ITS MY TURN TO GIVE SOME BACK)

SHRINK....YOU ARE THE FATHER OF SPORTS FORUMS......WE ARE ALL YOUR GRASSHOPPER:+thumbs-2

Ace-Ace,

I appreciate your last remark...

All I have ever REALLY wanted do is make SOME difference, whether big or small, in an industry I am so PASSIONATE about...

I believe I am still on this mission, though my journey continues to take on new roads and directions...

Ken

I think the "intent" a poster has when he posts his plays has a lot to do with it.

If you are just posting plays to try and help others, I think it is pretty easy to ignore the bashing when losses occur.

If you are doing it for recognition or to try and use it as a stepping stone to become a tout, I think the bashing really gets under their skin and the childish arguments occur.

The posters that put up dramatic posts like "Game of the Year" or "If this pick loses I am never posting again"...those guys deserve all the flaming they get. :D

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
I believe the bashing some dish out, even to those who have been putting up consistent winners throughout the season for a particular sport, has to do with what I've mentioned in the past.......

There are many, many occasions when an individual feels very strongly about a side in a game/wager, and has made up their mind on their selection.

However, before they lay their wager, they often then see this person's selections who they have followed or kept an eye on the entire season, and then let it sway their original decision, and change sides.

And , of course, when you have those many occasions in which the bettor loses ,but would of won the wager if they had stuck with their own, original selection, they tend to get a bit upset, thinking, "I knew it"...........lol

Hache Man said:
I believe the bashing some dish out, even to those who have been putting up consistent winners throughout the season for a particular sport, has to do with what I've mentioned in the past.......

There are many, many occasions when an individual feels very strongly about a side in a game/wager, and has made up their mind on their selection.

However, before they lay their wager, they often then see this person's selections who they have followed or kept an eye on the entire season, and then let it sway their original decision, and change sides.

And , of course, when you have those many occasions in which the bettor loses ,but would of won the wager if they had stuck with their own, original selection, they tend to get a bit upset, thinking, "I knew it"...........lol

LOL Hache- I used to say "i knew it" also. I would never type in into the forums but i would always think that. Then i'd go with my own play next time and the poster would win and i'd be back to "i knew" i should have played the posters game this time. And it becomes a catch 22 for me lol

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I used to post a lot of plays at Covers when I was there. But a lot is realtive I guess. I posted for about 6-7 months I guess, but they way I play that is a lot of bets. Had a pretty decent record, although I never kept track to the exact penny. But as usual people always wanted to know how my long term verifiable record was, and yada yada yada.

So I basiaclly stopped doing it.

BUT and this is a big but, I did have a so so reputation at that time from most of the guys there and if I did post a pretty strong opinion on a side people would bet it. Now the BUT part. Had I been fully into the whole scalping and buy back thing like I got into. It would have been really hard not to give out some baseball games I liked looking to get some action to help my buy back number. But at that time I didn't really post Baseball picks, and if I was looking for a buy back I usually mentioned it after, and even told guys to bet my side to move the line. I even did that at te RX a few times.

Now I like to think I am a pretty ethical guy, so I always gave out the side I actually "liked" better rather than simply giving out a side I thought would take some action anyways. Maybe that is rationalizing, maybe it isn't. But as mentioned I wasn't aspove telling people I thought the line would move,and wuld be buying back if it moved enough.

But I often wonder if some of these touts or "handicappers" that DO have a loyal following and DO have the clientele to actually move a line, if they don't do it themselves? Or make the mre unethical move of giving out the opposite side to get better odds on the sside they really like. Granted a lot of the scamdicappers probably do not bet, but some I am sure do. So will them getting a 10-15 ceetns edge on the games they actually like boost their returns enough to make their marginal success probability a money maker?

Even the Shrink, not saying he would. But those ODU games/lines last years did in fact move enough to get scalps on the ML, as well as some OK middle shots. I didn't track either, but when it got into the ODU bandwagon I used to bet them on the ML opener (when they had one)and wait for the move. I didn't get caught once with a bad number. So even if he wasn't doing it, I did :). But even if he did, would it be a bad thing? Obviously he is a fan, obviously the whole ODU craze got away from people, especially with them making the tourny. But if he thought they would win at -7, and people bet them to -11 or more what would be wrong with a buy back? Still rooting for the win, just by not so much. I am sure that is borderline college athlete on the take, but in terms of true ethics, is it really THAT bad?

This topic has many factors. How posting actually helps you or the people reading the picks. And what kind of backlash you will get from posting winning or losing picks.

Basically it is my opinion that posting picks really doesn't help anyone. If the guy wins he gets an ego stroke, if he loses he gets consoled. I find it much better to piost up a scalp or two I see (as long as I don't have an account at one of the books) or post up some pertinent info or some advice if I have an idea of what I am talking about. If a guy does have some success, it usually takes the public to catch on and by then many of the guys have abd turn so people jump on too late. So still not helping.

I also NEVER posted up picks BEFORE I made a bet. Not that a line would change on my pick, I still didn't want to take the chance that enough people followed me to make the line stay put more than it should, by simply having one hundred $50 bets go in on that side. But if I bet a game at -4, and by the time I posted it it was -5/5.5 then what? I post "I got this at -4, but it is now -5.5" But I like it still, and the team wins by 5. I win, they lose, but for "record keeping purposes" I am a winner.

So a lot of angles to take with this loaded question. If a guy did have the "juice" to move a number, it seems to me that it would be hard not to post up a side and look to get action the other way. Obviously some guys did this and still do it. But I am not sure if I could pull a bait and switch when it came to posting side.

I will post my picks regularly, win or lose,

I have more faith in myself than monetary value will ever reach.

If anyone wants to offer 23.3 million for my picks, please contact me immediately

Otherwise, just call me an asshole and fade me.

If a person comes in with this GOW, GOY bs, then he can expect to get a little static. Locks of the millenium and other nonsense should be avoided, and everyone will stay off your back.

:+signs9-1

Chances are the losers will give up on their picks. The winners will call attention to themselves.

I think the majority of sharps give out a side, but aren;t commited toit.

There are a select few that actually have influence.

When I began posting selections a couple of years ago, the joy I felt being able to express and share my thoughts was indescribeable. I was oblivious to the fact that others may read my thoughts and actually place wagers in some part due to what I had written on any particular game. I was just happy to be writing my thoughts down. As time went by and I was having decent success with the selections posted, more posters began to reply and ask questions and I really enjoyed the interaction with them. By the end of the first college bowl season, I began to realize that a rather sizeable number of viewers were reading my posted selections and I began to feel a sense of responsibility towards my readers. This is when my personal feelings began to change. Rather then enjoying posting selections, I found myself feeling both pressure and stress that others could have significant dollars wagered on these selections. If the game lost, I felt terrible. If it won, I only felt relief. There was no joy any longer. While it is true that we are all adults and it has been said many times not to worry or feel responsible for what others may do, each of us are individuals and we handle life in as many different ways as the individuals that we are. Some internalize while others externalize. Neither is right or wrong, but just the difference between us. I respect all those who choose to post selections as well as all those who choose not to do so, for I understand how both may feel. It is are differences combined as a whole that will make this site as strong and solid as it can be. Best of luck to all.

Personally, I don't care about the bashing itself. Doesn't affect me. But I sometimes have a hard time getting over the fact that some are following me blindly and have lost money on one of my bad streaks. So I always tell people to take my info along with other and make their own picks. I'm a good hockey capper but when I lose, I'd rather lose alone.

M$M

P.S.: Sorry, new poster. Just made my 1st post in NHL forum (other sports) :+waving-5

oldmanTED,

I truly have the utmost respect for you sir and I appreciate your contributions over the years...

Just wishing some others would take a stab at sharing picks, too...

As long as you don't come across bragging, the posters I know will respect you a lot more for trying to give something back to this community...

I know I will....

Thanks,

THE SHRINK