off topic-Need help settling an argument...

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
I had an argument with another poster on this site about which team's fans, between the Mets and the Yankees, are more made up of the blue-collar type crowd. I say that while obviously there are blue and white collar fans that like both teams, I think the Mets have more blue collar, construction working, lunch-pail carrying type fans than the Yankees. I may be wrong. Thoughts please...

I am about as far away from New York as one can be while still residing within the continenal United States. My only knowledge of Yankee and Mets fans is from who I see sitting in the crowd at the games.

That being said...

How can you really tell blue or white collar fans anymore? The ticket prices for games has all but eliminated the family outing to a ball game. Four decent tickets along with food, drink and parking is a minimum $200.00 night at best. More of a family treat than an ordinary night out. Compare that cost to a family night at the movies...

Currently the Red Sox are the 'sexy' team and you will see celebrities at the games who don't know shit about the game wearing their Red Sox hats. The team knows this and charges a premium price for tickets, souviners and food. Hardly a blue collar fan among them at Fenway Park at those prices. Once the Red Sox go back into a 75 year slumber they will out of favor with the 'in crowd' and long forgotten by the celebrities.

So in essence Lawrence, I don't really know if the blue collar fan really exists anymore outside of watching TV in his living room. Please excuse the micro-rant...

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
I agree with Jimmy! My biggest disappointment besides not winning my Red Sox series bet in 1986 was watching a Ted Danson interview from 'Cheers' and Ted admitting he didn't know shi# from shinola about baseball! I could never watch 'Cheers' and 'Mayday Malone' again- what an a##hole!

JJ.... Mets have tons of minority fans, especially Dominicans. Yankee fans are all over. Blue white yellow pink purple collars. They are anything and everything.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
When I was in the service it was my experience that most Jets' fans were Mets' fans and most Giant fans' were Yankee fans'. Most New York fans are loud mouths from either persuasion, but most are diehard fans and very knowledgeable. Now , the Shrink defies all these generalities, LOL, but at least is passionate! :+thumbs-2

We have a lot of New Yorkers here that love Boston. But one thing i notices is that they are very quiet about New England, even when they won the Super bowl.

Sober Leprechaun

EOG Enthusiast
yankees have more of a national following. my perception is that mets fans are smaller in number, but more diehard in loyalty. yankee fans are moe bandwagon-esque in nature. not true yankee fans, just bandwagon hoppers.