NFL approves new kickoff rule

Dell Dude

EOG Master
You have a landing spot of only 20 yards plus the sidelines. Kickers will earn their money or possibly lose their jobs on the kickoffs. On the kickoffs. Just like they made extra points job insecurity.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Ah. One other option. Touchbacks. Hillaryous if nothing changes and everything a TB. Extra 5 yards but may be optimal.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
The she's perfect kick is a line drive that lands a kunt hair inside the 20. Just to catch the ball would be spectacular. If the ball hits the ground, free for all recovery.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Doesn't have to be over the helmet. Over the foot. howid the fuck you gonna catch something like that when a player in your way is ready to tear your head off?

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I think it is worth giving the offense the ball at the 40 to take a shot with a sort of insides kick strategy.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Oopsie. Receiving team line 10 yards from 20. I'd still try it. Onsides or touchbacks depending on game situation.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I'd have fun with it if I had a kicker I trusted. Another strategy is a line drive near the sideline that bounces inside. All of this scenario strategizing means nothing because these coaches are morans who will kick high and deep state.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Does this mean squip kicks are illegal? Well not illegal but if the ball hits the ground before the landing zone is that going to be an issue

kane

EOG master
I just thought of something teams could do to minimize the chances of giving up a long return, as soon as the return man touches the ball, instead of having all of your players rush to try and tackle him, have several guys immediately run back ten or so yards, this way you at least have a second line of defense in case the returner breaks through the initial line, not sure there's enough time to do it this way, but it's something to think about

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I just thought of something teams could do to minimize the chances of giving up a long return, as soon as the return man touches the ball, instead of having all of your players rush to try and tackle him, have several guys immediately run back ten or so yards, this way you at least have a second line of defense in case the returner breaks through the initial line, not sure there's enough time to do it this way, but it's something to think about

You misspelled Dell Dude thought of something and I am reposting.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I'm not going to reply to kane. Would be dupe. I will post my strategy if I am special needs ball coach. Either position into a zone with 5 or 6 farther back and if that is not allowed, go to zone after kick. This is set up like a blitz. Returner breaks the wall, he's going the Cake distance.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Too risky, I believe if it goes out of bounds the ball is spotted at the 40

Risk v reward. Depends on quality of kicker and game situation. This is something you can practice so you have an idea of success rate. Someone like Justin Tucker can probably put some reverse spin in the ball.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
If you have a kicker who can kick precise line drives and control the bouncy, can make an absolute fool of Roger Goodell and force him to change the rule midseason.

ComptrBob

EOG Master

Too risky, I believe if it goes out of bounds the ball is spotted at the 40

Yes, the kicking team should know what part of the zone is being targeted with the kickoff, it should be to one side, but with very little chance of going out of bounds. By the configuration, their kicker is the tackler of last resort, but several players on the opposite side should drift back and toward the landing side.

Note another interesting aspect is a penalty assessed on the kickoff from a preceding play (made PAT or FG) has no effect on the landing zone or lineups, just moves the spot of the kick. Thus, it has almost no benefit to the kicking team.