Horse players

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good to see a positive story on horseplayers.

I grew up reading columnist Dave Feldman in the Chicago Sun--Times.

Feldman was the leader of an unofficial club called "Broken Down Horseplayers."

Funny, but not a good message to grow the game.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Slot machine players are mindless compared to horseplayers.

We are like detectives, trying to solve the puzzle.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The problem with horse racing is the onerous takeout.

A 20% rake leaves the racetrack holding all the money at the end of the day.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Check out the racing action at Canterbury Park where they offer a 50-cent Pick 4 with an industry-low takeout of 10%.

Love it.

That's the right price.

dfish

EOG Addicted
The problem with horse racing is the onerous takeout.

A 20% rake leaves the racetrack holding all the money at the end of the day.
So true
masses chase the payout tho for ex.
Keeneland pick 5 moon shot today let’s em get away w the swipe

Valuist

EOG Master
Saw a post on another board that said when you adjust for inflation, racing handle is down 50% over the last 20 years.

jasson621

EOG Dedicated
Saw a post on another board that said when you adjust for inflation, racing handle is down 50% over the last 20 years.
Racing lives in the stone ages, kids today don't want to play a game with 20+% hold it is ridiculous. Racing doesn't care as long as they can survive on slot welfare. Any sane track management would lower takeout across the board to 8%-10% and let the volume speak for itself. They are in for a rude awakening as sports betting grows and grows racing diminishes and rightfully so. The fuck the bettor attitude they have will lead to their demise along with numerous other factors including god awful ticket structure from so called TV experts, any newbie that follows their advice will be crushed long term with zero chance to win.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Racing lives in the stone ages, kids today don't want to play a game with 20+% hold it is ridiculous. Racing doesn't care as long as they can survive on slot welfare. Any sane track management would lower takeout across the board to 8%-10% and let the volume speak for itself. They are in for a rude awakening as sports betting grows and grows racing diminishes and rightfully so. The fuck the bettor attitude they have will lead to their demise along with numerous other factors including god awful ticket structure from so called TV experts, any newbie that follows their advice will be crushed long term with zero chance to win.

Sad but true…

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The caveman Pick 4 and Pick 5 tickets at TVG are an embarrassment to the game.

It would be like instructing young baseball players to attempt to hit a home run on every pitch with an exaggerated uppercut swing.

Wait a minute...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Inflation is cruel.

And so too are the batch bettors who are essentially eliminating the game's $2 foot soldiers at a faster rate than ever before.

jasson621

EOG Dedicated
The caveman Pick 4 and Pick 5 tickets at TVG are an embarrassment to the game.

It would be like instructing young baseball players to attempt to hit a home run on every pitch with an exaggerated uppercut swing.

Wait a minute...
Bad analogy the kid might hit a homerun and TVG multi-race ticket advice is a loser if it wins or not because of God awful ticket structure. Using favorite defensively that you think can be beat is literally the worst thing any horse player can do.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Don't use favorties defensively, good advice.

TVG's Matt Bernier sometimes submits a "narrow" Pick 3 or Pick 4 ticket.

1 x 1 x 2 or 1 x 1 x 3.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Well-written article.

Thanks for sharing, TRY3.

Not much new information, however.

I was impressed the author got as far as identifying Elite Turf Club accounts #2 and #17.

I was not interested in Scotty McKeever's story.

The most important question for me: Can anyone link these computer-assisted wagering groups with a jockey or trainer?

How does one big group beat another big group: With inside information of pre-determined outcomes.

My big fear for the game is that more short-priced horses are held back from winning at a higher rate than ever before.

The racetracks could find the culprits, through analysis of betting data, if they conducted investigations.

The first place to look: Some of those huge Pick 4 and Pick 5 pools.

Last edited:

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
yea lots of data there. but higher number of favorites not winning is great. i never play those. have more of that! lots more.