Back in the day, remember when ESB charged.....

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
....for the "privilege" of opening an account? Anyone else pay to become a customer of ESB??? Must have been about 1997 when I signed up with English Sports Betting, and at the time it cost something like $80 to join. What a sucker I was. Online wagering was in its infancy, and I had seen / heard ESB ads, so I assumed they must have been quite legit. At the time, I was looking for a second "out"...(first offshore book was betmaker.com), so I payed the fee to become a "member."
That being said, I made a decent amount of change from ESB, and was always paid. Was slow-paid following a Super Bowl, which was enough of a sign for me to get out. Guess the slow-pay was actually a blessing, in that had I stuck around, I would have eventually been no-paid.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I was never aware of a pay to play program, but I am glad you got paid. There are many others who have never got paid.

I remember that, Buckeye. At the time I was deciding between them and 'Rich's Superbook' as my first offshore acct. I chose Rich's because of that 'membership fee' of ESB's. Rich's went out of biz about two or three years later, but they paid everyone at least.

I played at ESB too. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world at the time. And yes you did have to pay the $79 and I don't think they picked up fees. They would send out checks fedex if you won.

Duke

EOG Senior Member
I signed up with ESB in 1996 that and my fees were $92 dollars. Also, did anyone play way back (early 1990's) when Bowman's had a tax on winnings, no bonuses, and did not cover W.U. Fees. Things are so much better right now.

Black Bart

EOG Addicted
That's funny, but I do remember paying around $90 to sign up at ESB. I also remember setting up a fax machine in my office to get the "faxback" parlay cards that I would turn around and fax back. I never had a problem being paid.

Now that I remember, you paid $90 but you got it back in 4 $25 future wagers: AFC Champ, NFC Champ, SB Champ, and something else. I got paid on 3 out of 4 and was (allegedly) one of their 60 or so finalists in the Super Bowl contest because I did have Green Bay and Denver in the Super Bowl.

How far have we come? I just made a MNF wager on the internet using my Treo 650.

I love this country.

Black Bart

EOG Addicted
No problem, General. I still show up over "across the street" as a matter of habit, but I like to pop in over here and keep it real, too. You guys are missed.