A must-see documentary...."976-1313: How Sports Phone Launched Careers and Broke New Ground"

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated
I dont even remember this.

What's the connection with actors and/or musicians?

I bet if i check YT someone has made some sort of doc about it, or done a quasi type info vid about it.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
It’s a new book released this month available on Amazon in hard cover for approx $25 HC and PB $22

Title is “How the sports phone launched careers and broke new ground.”
496 pages.

Credits: by Scott Orgera (Author), Howie Karpin (Author), & 2 more

Storytelling from phone sports coverage and sports culture perspectives.

Good brief review on Amazon.
Good overview of the sports phone also on Wikipedia.

Obviously cable TV (sports channels) and Internet killed the service.
Finally shut down operations in year 2000.

howid

EOG Dedicated
a local pizza joint sponsored a sports phone, they got to mention their establishment and read off the scores from the previous sport day, sort of faded away when the internet grew ...

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
No comment from JK? i believe he worked at score phone Chicago before heading west to Las Vegas.

Chicago score phone had many people that worked there to go on and a have long career in the media.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No comment from JK? i believe he worked at score phone Chicago before heading west to Las Vegas.

Chicago score phone had many people that worked there to go on and a have long career in the media.

Worked at SportsPhone in Chicago during my college years at Northwestern.

I was a weekend guy who loved working Saturday nights during the college football and basketball seasons.

I had an interest in horse racing when the company (Phone Programs, Inc.) expanded their offerings to include race results.

I could rattle through those win, place and show payouts as fast as the guy featured in those old FedEx commercials.

Had a chance to meet Dave Feldman, Phil Georgeff, John Brokopp, Mike Paradise, Gil Levine, Jeff Gillespie and other big names in the Chicago horse racing industry.

Fun times.

My favorite SportsPhone alum was the late Les Grobstein (aka "The Grobber").

976-1313, a number I'll never forget.

Last edited: