2023 NFL Season kicks off Sept 7, 2023

MrTop

EOG Master

Amazon to Test Satellite Internet Service Starting Next Year​

• Company plans $10-billion-plus investment as it cuts elsewhere
  • Amazon unveiled prototype antenna slightly bigger than Kindle

Amazon.com Inc. plans to launch its first Project Kuiper production satellites in 2024 and start beta testing its ambitious internet-from-space service with customers the same year.
Dave Limp, Amazon’s senior vice president of devices and services, revealed the timeline at a satellite industry trade show in Washington, DC, on Tuesday. He also showcased various prototype user terminals that future customers will use to tap into the satellite constellation. The prototypes included three different sized antennas, including a small seven-inch-square model only slightly bigger than an Amazon Kindle.
“This is dramatically different than anything you’ve ever seen” from a low-Earth orbit constellation, Limp said during the fireside chat.
Amazon’s smallest model offers speeds of up to 100 megabits per second. A larger 11-inch-square antenna is capable of 400 megabits per second, and a 19-inch by 30-inch model can handle 1 gigabit per second, Amazon said. The company didn’t disclose prices for the devices, but expects to manufacture the 11-inch-square version for less than $400 apiece.

The announcements underscore Amazon’s commitment to one of its biggest areas of investment, even as the company trims its ambitions elsewhere. Amazon earlier this year wrapped up its largest-ever layoffs, cuts that fell heavily on Limp’s devices group, which makes Echo smart speakers, Kindle tablets and other devices. He reiterated that Amazon planned to invest more than $10 billion on the Kuiper venture.

Project Kuiper is Amazon’s planned constellation of 3,236 low-Earth satellites, designed to blanket the globe and provide low-latency internet coverage to millions of potential customers. It’s a similar concept to SpaceX’s Starlink broadband mega constellation, which has already launched roughly 4,000 satellites into low-Earth orbit and claims to have more than 1 million customers.
Limp also said the first two test Kuiper satellites have been shipped to Cape Canaveral, Florida, in preparation for a possible launch in May as secondary payloads on the debut flight of United Launch Alliance’s new Vulcan rocket. ULA is currently targeting a May 4 launch.

bloomberg

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Bears have gone through some big-name linebackers lately.

From Khalil Mack to Roquan Smith and now Tremaine Edmunds.

This is the same franchise that famously produced Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary and Brian Urlacher.

Valuist

EOG Master
F
The Bears have gone through some big-name linebackers lately.

From Khalil Mack to Roquan Smith and now Tremaine Edmunds.

This is the same franchise that famously produced Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary and Brian Urlacher.

For the money they gave Edmunds, why didn't they re-sign Roquan Smith?

Valuist

EOG Master
He insisted on being the highest priced LB in the league.

Wow. It's that easy?

As a Bears fan, I find it troubling. If I say "I want people to refer to me as King Valuist or HRH Valuist", I don't expect a high percentage of compliance. Apparently Poles can be talked into things easily.

I see they signed a backup RB named Homer (gotta like that name) from Seattle. Good numbers in limited playing time. 61 targets, 52 receptions. 5.5 YPC rushing although a little skewed due to a 75 yard fake punt that anyone could've scored on. I'm guessing a time share with Herbert, who has ability but like Monty, has injury issues.

Last edited: