EOG Master
My post season award predictions:

NL MVP: Goldschmidt
NL Cy Young: Alcantara over Gallen
NL Rookie of the Year: Strider over Harris
AL MVP: Ohtani over Judge. Or give the MVP to Judge and Cy Young to Ohtani
AL Cy Young: Verlander over Cease; unless Judge wins MVP. Then its Ohtani
AL Rookie of the Year: Julio Rodriguez
Strider over Harris is a tough call. Braves took off when they inserted him in center. Which brings up the argument, who deserves it more, every day guy or guy every fourth day?

Valuist

EOG Master
Strider over Harris is a tough call. Braves took off when they inserted him in center. Which brings up the argument, who deserves it more, every day guy or guy every fourth day?
It is a tough call and can go either way. Harris was put into Braves lineup May 28 and has been there since. Strider started the season in the bullpen, and made his first start on May 30th. I don't think WAR should always decide but Strider has a 4.8 to 4.4 WAR edge (Fangraphs WAR, not ESPN)

Harris 105 hits, 65 runs 24 doubles 18 home runs 56 RBI 16 stolen bases, .311 BA/ .372 OBP/ .506 SP and .878 OPS and 129 WRC+
Strider 30 games, 19 starts, 126 innings, 192 strikeouts 10-5 win/loss and 2.72 ERA. FIP below 2, although alternative ERAs shouldn't count toward rewards as rewards should be based strictly on outcomes, not theoreticals.

I have no argument with the case for Harris, but I'd still make Strider a 7-10 favorite to win RoY. Still 3 weeks left so an implosion by either and it becomes easier. Strider didn't have his best stuff last night yet still had 9 strikeouts. He may be a home/road dichotemy candidate.

Nobody talking about the Braves repeating and yet I have to think they are alive.

Valuist

EOG Master
We've already reviewed some of the rule changes. One I had overlooked was the rule limiting a pitcher to 2 pick off throws. That, along with bases that are 4 inches bigger, should mean more base stealing next year.

But the pitch clock will have minimal effect, IMO. It still doesn't put more balls in play.

Valuist

EOG Master
Home field advantage for the Blue Jays just got the opposite of a shot in the arm.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
We've already reviewed some of the rule changes. One I had overlooked was the rule limiting a pitcher to 2 pick off throws. That, along with bases that are 4 inches bigger, should mean more base stealing next year.

But the pitch clock will have minimal effect, IMO. It still doesn't put more balls in play.
I watched some of the minor league games on Marquee, it does speed things up quite a bit.

Valuist

EOG Master
I watched some of the minor league games on Marquee, it does speed things up quite a bit.

If a game is cut by 10-12 minutes, I'm not sure anyone will notice. And until they get more balls in play, the games will feel long, regardless of actual time.

kane

EOG master
But the pitch clock will have minimal effect, IMO. It still doesn't put more balls in play
Love the pitch clock, no it doesn't put more balls into play, but it increases the pace of play, I could be wrong but I think I heard the pitch clock shaved 20 mins off of minor league games

Valuist

EOG Master
So its really a 1 limit...cause if you throw over twice...you can take a huge lead and the Pitcher cannot even step off rubber.

They ruined the game we love
Hold on, are you sure the pitcher can’t even step off the rubber? This is huge. Really have to look for speed oriented teams that can take advantage of this. I’m sure a team like Tampa will find ways to exploit it.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Hold on, are you sure the pitcher can’t even step off the rubber? This is huge. Really have to look for speed oriented teams that can take advantage of this. I’m sure a team like Tampa will find ways to exploit it.
Not sure cause every article I read has different interpretations. This is from ESPN

Pickoffs and step-offs reset the pitch clock, and the rules will limit pitchers to two for each plate appearance. (The number would reset if a runner advances.) A pitcher can make a third pickoff attempt, but if it's unsuccessful it will be a balk, allowing the runners to move up a base

Valuist

EOG Master
Not sure cause every article I read has different interpretations. This is from ESPN

Pickoffs and step-offs reset the pitch clock, and the rules will limit pitchers to two for each plate appearance. (The number would reset if a runner advances.) A pitcher can make a third pickoff attempt, but if it's unsuccessful it will be a balk, allowing the runners to move up a base

Between this and the ridiculous invisible runner rule, betting unders in MLB will no longer be a viable betting option.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Between this and the ridiculous invisible runner rule, betting unders in MLB will no longer be a viable betting option.

Invisible runner was the dumbest rule in sports history....gone next year right?

Pickoff limit just a dumb notch under that

kane

EOG master
If it ain't broke don't fix it
The problem is it is broke, the games last forever, the pace of play is like watching paint dry, everything is a walk, K, or HR, need more balls put in play, need more action on the bases

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Instead of starting at 2nd,I think starting on first would be better. More strategy,weather to hit,bunt,or steal. Am playing more first halves,since I play unders if I am getting a fair first half line. Fair to me: need 5 with a line of 9 or 9'. Need 4' with a line of 8' and 8. Need 4 with a line of 7' and 7. At 6' need a line of 3'.

kane

EOG master
Marlins reliever Richard Bleier was called for 3 balks in the same inning last night, I don't know, but that has to be a record I would think

kane

EOG master
I know it's controversial, and I respect all opinions, but to me if Judge hits one more he breaks Maris's record. Fuck Bonds, Fuck McGwire, Fuck Sosa

Heim

EOG Master
Ohtani probably sealed the Cy Young last night in AL.

At some point they have to decide how long you keep him
pitching, another arm issue is almost guaranteed, thus losing
him as a hitter.

Valuist

EOG Master
Ohtani probably sealed the Cy Young last night in AL.

At some point they have to decide how long you keep him
pitching, another arm issue is almost guaranteed, thus losing
him as a hitter.
I brought this up back in August. And I'm a fan of Verlander, but given the circumstances, Ohtani would be MVP in 99% of seasons. But you have a guy who's hit 61 HRs (at least) and might win the Triple Crown. It's not like Ohtani is 11-12 with a 3.60 ERA. The guy is right there amongst top 5 starters in the AL.,.....without the benefit of sitting out for 4-5 days between taking the mound.

blueline

EOG Master
Cubs 2 wins from win total going over....at least the number my friend got.....plenty of times this looked dead

Valuist

EOG Master
Cubs 2 wins from win total going over....at least the number my friend got.....plenty of times this looked dead

Shhh. Don't jinx this. Actually I saw mostly 75 1/2s before the season and found a 73 1/2 in Pittsburgh. They didn't have a clear # 5 starter going into the year, but the projected 1-4 were Stroman/Hendricks/Smyly/Miley. You don't expect to get the full 128 starts out of those 4, but they have only gotten 69. Granted, some of the young pitchers like Steele, Thompson and Sampson haven't been a big downgrade but if they get 100 starts out of top 4, they could be near 80 wins.

But yeah, two weeks ago I thought this was dead. 9-1 in last 10 has changed everything.

blueline

EOG Master
wasnt paying close attnetion but heard in passing that since mid-July the Cub starters have the best ERA in the NL or MLB....cant remember which I heard