Ohtani should be MVP of the American League…

railbird

EOG Master
chose justin trudeau who is the biggest enemy of the world, trudeau a bigger pos than hitler. would like to seem him get beaned going forward, he was also a coward for playing the 21 allstar game when the boycotted atl

mr merlin

EOG Master
He's not a normal free agent, the Jap stuff is very important to him, he's only going to a city with enough japs to feel comfortable. he's prob staying in CA.

blueline

EOG Master
seems like its dodgers and toronto the current chalks......next tier is cubs angles and giants but an article this morning from san francisco paper said giants have no shot...who knows

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
seems like its dodgers and toronto the current chalks......next tier is cubs angles and giants but an article this morning from san francisco paper said giants have no shot...who knows
SF would have to get another bat in the lineup to protect him.

Heim

EOG Master
I heard Ichiro's agent on a podcast. He said Ichiro was not concerned with money but comfort. Drive to stadium, housing, even location of his locker. Bottom line, Angels are still a strong consideration.

blueline

EOG Master
I heard Ichiro's agent on a podcast. He said Ichiro was not concerned with money but comfort. Drive to stadium, housing, even location of his locker. Bottom line, Angels are still a strong consideration.

the sweepstakes is over

blueline

EOG Master
as you pointed out daily comfort likely a big factor....team is good every year and its a lot of money

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
The sweepstakes was over when I mentioned the rumor ESPN had him going to LA for at least $50m. He received a lot more than that!

Heim

EOG Master
The Dodgers didn't need another hitter, they starving for starting pitching. As you said, that's a lot of money for a guy who probably will injury that arm again.

Dodgers no dummy, I'm sure contract is laden with incentives on the pitching side to reach the numbers quoted.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Their offense needed a shot in the arm in the postseason as San Diego contained the bats even in good pitching duels.

kane

EOG master
The Dodgers didn't need another hitter,
Their lineup last year was top heavy, get past the first 4 guys and the rest of the lineup was meh, the Snakes shut down Mookie and Freddie and no one else stepped up

that's a lot of money for a guy who probably will injury that arm again.
Why do you think he'll probably get hurt again? Plenty of guys have TJ and they're as good as new, of course the Dodgers are taking a risk, but if you're going to gamble on a player, might as well do it with a guy like Ohtani

Heim

EOG Master
Japanese pitchers have a higher incident of TJ surgery than anyone else because they throw a ton of innings in high school, which is huge there.

He's already had two. Big red flag especially for a guy that usually throws 95. Last season he was hitting only 92 some games. His big out pitch is the splitter which puts more stress on the elbow.

Valuist

EOG Master
Japanese pitchers have a higher incident of TJ surgery than anyone else because they throw a ton of innings in high school, which is huge there.

He's already had two. Big red flag especially for a guy that usually throws 95. Last season he was hitting only 92 some games. His big out pitch is the splitter which puts more stress on the elbow.
Agreed. As much as I like Ohtani, and I believe he is the best athlete not just in MLB but on planet earth, the contract is priced for perfection as both a hitter and starting pitcher. We can talk about previous TJ surgeries; but those pitchers weren’t spending their “off days” hitting 40 Hrs and driving in 100. The last 5 years of this contract could be a huge burden.

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Huge 10 year contracts are a disaster waiting to happen.
Especially for an injury prone player.
It might be OK for the first year or three, but the last half will financially cripple the franchise. Think Albert Pujols.

cheapseats

EOG Master
It might be OK for the first year or three, but the last half will financially cripple the franchise. Think Albert Pujols.
Albert wasn't 29. But you and valuist make a good point.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Bogearts contract is a disaster. I think they are paying him until he is 41.

railbird

EOG Master
Agreed. As much as I like Ohtani, and I believe he is the best athlete not just in MLB but on planet earth, the contract is priced for perfection as both a hitter and starting pitcher. We can talk about previous TJ surgeries; but those pitchers weren’t spending their “off days” hitting 40 Hrs and driving in 100. The last 5 years of this contract could be a huge burden.
how is he the best athlete? im predicting injury, you play stupid games you win stupid prizes

kane

EOG master
Ohtani is deferring a little bit of the 700 Million so the team can spend more money on players, he'll make 2M a year for the length of the contract, then get the other 680 in the years after, that's right, he'll be paid 20M and the rest deferred, I don't know how this is even allowed

kane

EOG master
I can't imagine how much he must make off the field to basically play the next ten years for free

mr merlin

EOG Master
Ohtani is deferring a little bit of the 700 Million so the team can spend more money on players, he'll make 2M a year for the length of the contract, then get the other 680 in the years after, that's right, he'll be paid 20M and the rest deferred, I don't know how this is even allowed
WOW, that would be $20 million/yr for 34 years(for example), if he only need $2 million now why does he need so much when he retires?

mr merlin

EOG Master
I heard after the contract(in 10 years) he'll get $68 million/yr for the next 10 years, that makes no sense.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Regarding all that deferred money - $68 million for 10 years starting in 2034 - CA has sky high taxes, so he can move out and wont pay them a cent, just on the 2 mill/yr crumbs.

railbird

EOG Master
Who is Yoshinobu Yamamoto? Age, stats and more to know about star Japanese pitcher moving to MLB

this guy is better, and not a woke puppet like ohtani