Do Mexican/Latin Ethnicities Think That Those Against Illegal Immigration Are Racist?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
I have been wondering this & have a bad feeling that all other Latin races, and Mexican-American's in general, have the perception that those who are against legalizing Immigrants from Mexico, or having a problem with them being over here at all, are being racist.

I would hope this is not the case, but would bet the larger percentage believe this.

Would love to see some responses to this.....

Last edited:
Im a conservative economically and a liberal on cultural issues

I think for some its a racist issue, but for most its an economic thing

I really have mixed feelings on it.

As a bilingual college grad, it certainly helps with the growing hispanic population

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
good question Hache, i'll tell you how I feel...I think for the most part, the people who are against illegal aliens are against it for the so called right reasons..but I also think there are some people in this country, probably a small number, who just use this issue to direct their racism to..unfortunately, there are still people who just don't like Mexicans (or any latinos or blacks or whatever) and will use this to further that agenda..but like i said, that's just a small number of people i would think..i don't know any latinos that are saying its racism, but no doubt they are out there..but there will always be people saying something is racist

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Why don't we just enforce this country's federal, state and local laws against employing illegal immigrants. Oh, I forgot, most employers who hire illegals are Republicans - so, that probably won't work. They would rather put Guardsmen that are untrained for this role on the border!

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated
May be a racist issue for some, but most people feel the illegal immigration issue is matter of economics. The taxpayers are taking up the burden for the growing wave of illegals entering this country. I really don't know how most of the Latinos feel. There have been a few mass protests recently. Especially in LA.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Reno Paul said:
May be a racist issue for some, but most people feel the illegal immigration issue is matter of economics. The taxpayers are taking up the burden for the growing wave of illegals entering this country. I really don't know how most of the Latinos feel. There have been a few mass protests recently. Especially in LA.
that is how I, and most of my friends and family see it; as an economic/logistical issue..

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Not sure about any of you other guys, but I knew that you were were Latin Lawrence, and I was hoping that you would be one to respond to this because I knew you would lay it out there.

I agree with what you said Lawrence, that there are always going to be those that use things like this to direct their racism. But, I still feel that too large a percentage of Latins/Mexicans/Mexican-American's perceive the rest of America as being racist in this situation, which isn't true of course.

From age 5 all the way through high school, over half of my friends were black, and in the earlier years (5-15) almost ALL of them were black, because I lived just across town where there were no other kids, so I used to walk down where they all lived practically every single day. I played ball with them growing up, hung out/went to movies, at dinner ate their houses daily,etc. Basically, all of my friends and "family" were part of the African-American community. I had an older brother who was never home, my father was killed when I was 1 year old, and my mom was always busy, so that had a lot to do with my lifestyle. Everyone knew me in that neighborhood, and vice-versa. Some of my best friends ever are black. I can tell you one thing, when a black friend tells you that he's going to do something, going to be there at a certain time, or whatever it may be, you can count on their word. I was often surprised when plans were made with so many of my African-American friends and they always honored them because half of the time when one of other friends, white or Mexican-American would say they were going to do something, they let you down, were a now show, or didnt' back it up.

The moral behind this story is, that if anyone IS NOT racist, it is myself.

BUT.......what is going on regarding immigration is wrong. There's just no way these millions of people from another country should be allowed to just stroll in here and make our place their home. Other countries will not stand for it, so why do we?

I understand it's still hard for other Latins to comprehend, because they feel Mexicans are of their kind, and understandably tend to favor their arguements for wanting to be here, or coming here.

However, don't believe that they (Mexicans from Mexico) necessarily feel the same about you JUST because you are of Latin descent.

If you don't believe me, then just ask 3 of my Mexican American friends who were stabbed/butchered up in a bar that was primarily a hangout for.......Illegal Mexicans........

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Hache, I do not think for one second your views on illegal immigration are driven by any kind of prejudice at all....
my natural instinct is to say "shit my family came here with nothing, and made something, so everyone should be afforded that chance," but in reality, they came here legally, and to escape political persecution...not saying that the reason of living in poverty is not a "worthy" reason to flee, but there are proper channels and laws that must be obeyed..
while I think that the Mexicans/Latins you speak of, the ones saying people against this are racist, are wrong about that, I can understand why some of them would think that..shit, I think I look like a white-american, and even I have heard one or two mini-slurs in my life, so i can imgaine what brown-skinned mexicans must hear all the time...again, I think everyone should be allowed to come here, through the proper channles...

pressitup

EOG Senior Member
How about this.............we are all racists.
What? You say.
Okay, let's put it another way. We are all against "stereotypes".
Living in TX I have dealt w/the mexican contingent all my life. I used to trade my dinner w/the kid's across the street. I should say, his tortillas. I have only come close once or twice, in finding any tortillas that tasted like that. Parents spoke no english.
I've worked w/many in my life. I don't think of them as mexican. They work, they pay taxes. Don't say they act white, cuz thats not what it is about. They act like ....people, Americans, familys.
The ones on the news, which is almost predominately filled w/Latino surnames these days, that leave their kids in the laundramat, shoot and kill, leave kids in the car at 105 degrees, STEAL......are punks. But yeah, to me they're beaners, spics.......whatever. You still see a few whites on the news now, ans they are white trash, rednecks, dumbasses.
I'll call any criminal , lowlife, no-class mother puker anything I damn well want to. If someone wants to call it racist, then fuck them too.
You see no color when people act like civilized human beings, but when a line is crossed the easiest thing to jump on is what you see. Cuz you don't know the person........4-eyes, hairlip...it's all the same, but easier to jump on the stereotype.
They fact that people want to bring it up only perpetuates the problem.
IN college my best friend was black. He made me go in a bar in the black part of town to shoot a game of pool and have a beer.
There was I'd say 20 people in that bar, and they all stopped talking, shooting pool, and stood and stared w/a look that could kill until we played one game and left. There is no doubt , that had I not been w/Robbie they would have kicked the shit outta me..............and I mean the women ,too.
I was a long hair, but more conservative than 90% of the people in my age group, but you know what? I didn't go in a white redneck bar either, even though, politically I was closer aligned w/them.
Ever have a friend of color be absolutely different when he's with "His" people? You'll know what I mean.
We all gravitate to people w/ like thinking. Its just how things are, and if people would quit pushing the whole thing, then all could be easier for all.
Baptist, Jew, Muslim, Catholic.......everyone is defined as group. It will always be that way.

Press

I don't give a shit if you're red, white, green, black, purple, brown, or orange. If you didn't come here legally, you should not be here.

If you are here, you should speak English.

If you work here, you should pay taxes.

If you are legal, speak english, work and pay taxes, WELCOME TO OUR (YOUR) COUNTRY! Stay as long as you'd like. Do as you wish (within the law). Prosper. Vote. Be free.

If you aren't here legally, then get the hell out. You have no right to be here.

Some of my best friends are Mexican Americans. To me, it doesn't matter what your race/heritage is.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
pressitup said:
How about this.............we are all racists.
What? You say.
Okay, let's put it another way. We are all against "stereotypes".
Living in TX I have dealt w/the mexican contingent all my life. I used to trade my dinner w/the kid's across the street. I should say, his tortillas. I have only come close once or twice, in finding any tortillas that tasted like that. Parents spoke no english.
I've worked w/many in my life. I don't think of them as mexican. They work, they pay taxes. Don't say they act white, cuz thats not what it is about. They act like ....people, Americans, familys.
The ones on the news, which is almost predominately filled w/Latino surnames these days, that leave their kids in the laundramat, shoot and kill, leave kids in the car at 105 degrees, STEAL......are punks. But yeah, to me they're beaners, spics.......whatever. You still see a few whites on the news now, ans they are white trash, rednecks, dumbasses.
I'll call any criminal , lowlife, no-class mother puker anything I damn well want to. If someone wants to call it racist, then fuck them too.
You see no color when people act like civilized human beings, but when a line is crossed the easiest thing to jump on is what you see. Cuz you don't know the person........4-eyes, hairlip...it's all the same, but easier to jump on the stereotype.
They fact that people want to bring it up only perpetuates the problem.
IN college my best friend was black. He made me go in a bar in the black part of town to shoot a game of pool and have a beer.
There was I'd say 20 people in that bar, and they all stopped talking, shooting pool, and stood and stared w/a look that could kill until we played one game and left. There is no doubt , that had I not been w/Robbie they would have kicked the shit outta me..............and I mean the women ,too.
I was a long hair, but more conservative than 90% of the people in my age group, but you know what? I didn't go in a white redneck bar either, even though, politically I was closer aligned w/them.
Ever have a friend of color be absolutely different when he's with "His" people? You'll know what I mean.
We all gravitate to people w/ like thinking. Its just how things are, and if people would quit pushing the whole thing, then all could be easier for all.
Baptist, Jew, Muslim, Catholic.......everyone is defined as group. It will always be that way.

Press
That's honest. I like it!:cheers

One thing that gets me being of latin decent, is some folks ignorance. "Hispanic" is not a race, it simply denotes of a spanish speaking country. and it was a US census conjured up word. Do not forget latin american countries were colonized by white (Spanish) european explorers. Furtehrmore, many italian, english, and german immigrants in south america. So being "hispanic" could mean you are white, native american. black or any combination of the 3.

Seriously, though, it's not guys like Vincente Fox or the babes you see on the soaps on Univision that most see on the streets, it's aztecs. Call them native americans, call them indians, what have you, but they ARE NOT the elite of Mexico or any ohter latin american country. Vincente Fox looks like he could have been born in Barcelona (or Cleveland for that matter). But people see a race of people invading our country that truly believe the white man stole it from them, may be true to some of them. There's also the parasitical aspect of the invasion. Hospitals in California are closing their doors, school districts are going broke, all manner of social services are breaking down, because of the burden placed on them by free loading ILLEGAL invaders. Its a touchy subject, but like Lawrence said in a post above, my family did not come here illegally, nor did they not assimlate, educate themselves, etc

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Romanowski said:
One thing that gets me being of latin decent, is some folks ignorance. "Hispanic" is not a race, it simply denotes of a spanish speaking country. and it was a US census conjured up word. Do not forget latin american countries were colonized by white (Spanish) european explorers. Furtehrmore, many italian, english, and german immigrants in south america. So being "hispanic" could mean you are white, native american. black or any combination of the 3.

Seriously, though, it's not guys like Vincente Fox or the babes you see on the soaps on Univision that most see on the streets, it's aztecs. Call them native americans, call them indians, what have you, but they ARE NOT the elite of Mexico or any ohter latin american country. Vincente Fox looks like he could have been born in Barcelona (or Cleveland for that matter). But people see a race of people invading our country that truly believe the white man stole it from them, may be true to some of them. There's also the parasitical aspect of the invasion. Hospitals in California are closing their doors, school districts are going broke, all manner of social services are breaking down, because of the burden placed on them by free loading ILLEGAL invaders. Its a touchy subject, but like Lawrence said in a post above, my family did not come here illegally, nor did they not assimlate, educate themselves, etc
I say give Cali - fornia back to Mexico! Ahnold and all!