My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sports handicappers are constantly making judgments about teams and players. The evaluations are based mainly on ability levels, strength of competition and performance outputs, but also include intangible factors like team chemistry, the will to compete and the ability to plan and prepare.

The shrewd analyst monitors the betting marketplace, checking his evaluations against the posted pointspreads and looking for discrepancies between his opinions and the offerings at various sports betting outlets.

It's immaterial for the college hoop handicapper to rank 22-0 Ohio State atop his power ratings when the market has a similar opinion of college basketball's only undefeated team. Instead, the wise investor looks for more relevant and less obvious spots and situations, hoping to capitalize on wagering opportunities by betting against highly-ranked squads or supporting sleeper teams.

Last week, I listed five NCAAB teams and five NCAAB players on the rise. This week, the spotlight lands on five teams and five players headed the wrong direction. Here we go:

ARKANSAS LITTLE-ROCK.....What a bizarre shooting profile for the Trojans of UALR. They shoot a higher percentage from beyond the arc (42.3%) than they shoot from inside the line (40.7%). The best basketball teams, at any level, work "inside out," establishing an interior presence before kicking the ball out for a 3-point shot. The Trojans will be only as good as they shoot from 20 feet and beyond. Not good.

ARIZONA STATE.....The Wildcats have no starter taller than 6'7". Herb Sendek's team is 1-8 in Pac-10 play and figure to be an underdog in seven of its remaining nine conference games. ASU has yet to win a conference home game and may have to wait until March to accomplish the feat.

OAKLAND.....The Golden Grizzlies are running roughshod over the weak competition in the Summit League, outscoring opponents by 18 points per game en route to an 11-0 conference record. Here's the rub: when tested for class in late December, Oakland was dismantled by 29 points at the hands of Ohio State.

OREGON STATE.....Where's the defense? OSU's opponents shoot better than 53% from 2-point range and 37% from 3-point range. The Beavers have lost three straight games and five of six, including a home loss to rival Oregon, which may have killed their spirit for the remainder of the season.

XAVIER.....No team in Division I basketball has seen its starters play more minutes than the Musketeers. Xavier is only 3-7 against the spread when playing at home and 1-3 when laying double digits. Will the heavy load of playing time eventually cost this 15-5 team?

JEREMY HAZELL.....At first glance, his scoring numbers look impressive, but a closer look reveals he should be scoring a lot more. The undisciplined Hazell rarely makes a play for his Seton Hall teammates, insisting to shoot whenever and wherever he pleases. Don't expect Hazell to improve with age because the "Mad Bomber" turns 25 in March. What you see is what you get with Jeremy Hazell.

TERRENCE JONES.....The freshman swingman from Kentucky is a selfish player who looks to shoot first and pass later. But don't take my word for it, listen to head coach John Calipari, who was caught on national television calling Jones a "selfish mother-fucker." The numbers don't lie as Jones is averaging 17.7 points per game and only 1.5 assists per contest.

CURTIS KELLY.....In Kansas State's humiliating 34-point loss to rival Kansas last Saturday, head coach Frank Martin sent a message to Kelly by benching his 6'9" forward for the entire second half. Kelly appeared disinterested in the first half when KU turned the rivalry game into a dunk contest. Kelly's work ethic and practice habits have been questioned in the past.

KALIN LUCAS.....Gotta feel for the likeable Lucas. He has gone from Big Ten Player of the Year to a serviceable player in a conference loaded with quality college guards. Lucas lost his greatest asset (speed) after rupturing his Achilles tendon last March. Part of Michigan State's struggles this season can be directly attributed to Lucas's dropoff in production.

RONNIE MOSS.....The TCU junior possesses the worst quality in a point guard: he dribbles too much. Moss is a score-first point guard who is neither a good shooter nor reliable scorer. A knucklehead both on and off the court, Moss was recently suspended indefinitely for "failure to adhere to the standards of the program."

MONDAY'S BEST BET.....Play 713 MILWAUKEE BUCKS +4 over the Los Angeles Clippers. The absence of leading scorer Eric Gordon could catch-up to the Clips tonight against a defensive-minded team like Milwaukee. Andrew Bogut should protect the rim against high-flying rookie Blake Griffin and Brandon Jennings is back in uniform for the Bucks, winners of three straight games.

COMING FRIDAY.....Super Bowl predictions from the gambling fraternity here in Las Vegas.

newport2

EOG Dedicated
Re: My Monday blog

Terrence Jones has probably been "the man" since grade school. I blame his AAU and high school coaches, plus his parents(?) for his selfish behavior on the court. The Demarcus Cousins syndrome is hard to break.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Not many 4's left at all outside of Pinny really, grab it while u can!

GL and nice writeup JK!

:cheers

newport2

EOG Dedicated

John, in the 8th grade I averaged 19 pts per game(Skip Bayless averaged 9) playing 6 minute quarters. My basketball education didn't begin until the 9th grade. I was lucky to play on 3 powerhouse teams for the largest(3600 students) high school in Oklahoma, and earn a scholarship to OU.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

John, in the 8th grade I averaged 19 pts per game(Skip Bayless averaged 9) playing 6 minute quarters. My basketball education didn't begin until the 9th grade. I was lucky to play on 3 powerhouse teams for the largest(3600 students) high school in Oklahoma, and earn a scholarship to OU.

Impressive background, newport2. I could tell you were a hoopster from your EOG contributions.

Tell me more about your basketball days at OU.

Ching or Dong

EOG Enthusiast

Excellent read JK!! Frank Martin at KS scares me. He is my kind of coach and would want him on my side in any altercation unless I was on the other side. Great article until next to last paragraph when you went with the BUCKS and the NBA, but.... will stay with you and your logic and selection. Good luck to all us followers as stated by the Jim Jones followers and revelers in Fast Times at Ridgemont High "have some punch"!!!!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks Ching or Dong. I forgot to mention in my best bet analysis that current Milwaukee players Corey Maggette and Keyon Dooling are former Clippers. Extra motivation? Site familiarity?

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks for the blog, and GL on Milwaukee, JK.12io4j2w90Even though Super Bowl predictions are pretty much useless, I always enjoy reading them. Looking forward to Friday.

charliebrown

EOG Enthusiast

Hope you're right JK. Clippers have that guy Randy Foye who dropped 21 on Charlotte the other night. He looks like Eric Gordon ver.2 out there. Plus the Clips have been awfully tough at home lately.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Hope you're right JK. Clippers have that guy Randy Foye who dropped 21 on Charlotte the other night. He looks like Eric Gordon ver.2 out there. Plus the Clips have been awfully tough at home lately.

The Clippers have won eight straight games at Staples Center. The beauty of the bet: the Clips can win, but the Bucks can cash.

Thanks for your input, charliebrown.

munson15

I want winners...

Pinnacle's been sitting on mil +3.5 (-115) for a couple of hours. If the "Pinny lean" is to be believed, you have compnay on this one, JK. GL as always.

JK,

When you look at the Pomeroy Ratings which category do you put the most importance on when comparing the teams??

I think Pinny was actually looking for some Clipper $$ at the + #to balance some action because who would continue to bet the Bucks at +3' above -110????

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK,

When you look at the Pomeroy Ratings which category do you put the most importance on when comparing the teams??

I like the subtle stuff: low turnover rates with teams that play fast (BYU, Washington and Missouri) or high turnover rates with teams that play slow (South Florida, Toledo and Miami Ohio).

The most critical stat is FG%. It is a function of shot selection.

Mammon

EOG Master

With the line change it looks like the Clippers are a steal. Any way not playing it from your opinion. GL!

Watch out for my Grizz, JK! Scary team if we get in the playoffs!

at least I keep telling myself that

:+textinb3

DotPark

EOG Addicted

JK,

Jumped on you Buck play twice. Put it in @3 and went to 3' so I bit more.

Looking @ a halftime play? Bucks older, wiser, then young Clip team. Jennings starting to get going. Any opinion?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK,

Jumped on you Buck play twice. Put it in @3 and went to 3' so I bit more.

Looking @ a halftime play? Bucks older, wiser, then young Clip team. Jennings starting to get going. Any opinion?

I did not get involved at the half. Bucks clinging to a 2-point lead late in the third quarter.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Make a layup, Jon Brockman. Trouble at Staples Center. Clips with a seven-point lead and the ball. Three minutes left.