And they wonder why more people dont like horse racing

Brewers in 7

EOG Dedicated
Way to go Pimlico......

Attendance dropped from 112,222 last year to an announced crowd of 77,850. The infield, always packed with college-age revelers who have just gotten out of school, was sparse, owing to a new policy instituted by Pimlico officials this year that banned patrons from bringing beer into the infield. Not only did infield fans have to buy beer from the concession stands, but the admission price was raised, too, to $60.

The record announced Pimlico crowd is 121,263, in 2007. The crowd was announced as 100,000 or more from 2001-2008, when the infield was jammed.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Re: And they wonder why more people dont like horse racing

Imbeciles! it's my understanding that pimlico(like most tracks) is hurting.... and then they go do this. like chrysler and GM, they deserve to go out of business.

Some bad ideas there - especially for a strruggling track :shoot:

Dante

EOG Veteran

Way to go Pimlico......

Attendance dropped from 112,222 last year to an announced crowd of 77,850. The infield, always packed with college-age revelers who have just gotten out of school, was sparse, owing to a new policy instituted by Pimlico officials this year that banned patrons from bringing beer into the infield. Not only did infield fans have to buy beer from the concession stands, but the admission price was raised, too, to $60.

The record announced Pimlico crowd is 121,263, in 2007. The crowd was announced as 100,000 or more from 2001-2008, when the infield was jammed.

60$ to stand in the infield at a horse track!! that is Ridiculos. You can go to disneyworld all day for around 60$

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

60$ to stand in the infield at a horse track!! that is Ridiculos. You can go to disneyworld all day for around 60$

$69 for an adult to go to Disneyland/$59 for kids

the one point not brought up here is IF you make it feasible for people to attend THIS race at Pimlico odds are they might come back for ANOTHER day of racing later. if they have fun they will come back - but they can't come back when they never "came" in the first place

these days businesses are LOWERING prices doing all they can to get people in the front door so to do something like this is beyond stupid

husker

EOG Addicted

the do-gooders were complaining about what was going on in the infield (a huge party!). i believe that is why they stopped people from bringing in beer. that's probably why they raised prices also, maybe they thought a "better class" of people were going to buy them. bad business decisions is what puts you into bankruptcy court.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

sad situation..could not believe the overhead shots of the track and lack of people on the infield...they will reverse that next year..

Brewers in 7

EOG Dedicated

my girlfriend was there 2 years ago in the infield and she said it was a raucous crowd, but basically college kids having fun nothing that was way overboard, and if u dont want to deal with that crowd, dont get a infield ticket, its as easy as that ..

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

my girlfriend was there 2 years ago in the infield and she said it was a raucous crowd, but basically college kids having fun nothing that was way overboard, and if u dont want to deal with that crowd, dont get a infield ticket, its as easy as that ..

Couldn't agree more. i compare this to people who tuned in Howard Stern when he was on "normal" radio and then complained about his language, topics and all and said it was bad for kids. NO SHIT - no one disputes that not even Howard but that is where common sense comes into play and you change the channel don't go to an Orgy and then complain about all you see and say how disgusting it is - you knew what you were getting into ahead of time and if you don't wanna be involved don't go but don't ruin it for others who wanna go - know what they are getting ito and enjoying it

as for Pimlico - not like Horse Racing will ever be confused popularity wise these days with the NFL so to do ANYTHING to keep people from showing up is stupid especailly younger ones because if you have been to the track during a normal weekday i think the average age there is about 90

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Dont worry. Pretty soon the only live racing will be at tracks with slots.
That day is coming.

I read somewhere that Pimlico is hurting mainly because they don't have slots and that other than the Preakness.....their races are a joke.

Hard to believe that in tough economic times, owners would make it harder to attend an event as big as this.

If they can't afford to buy beer at the concession, then why would the track want them? Fuck them, let them watch it at home!

TurfMonster

EOG Member

While I agree it is potentially short-sighted to raise to $60, the handle was up 19%, vs off 10% for the derby. Not like the drunken morons in the infield were ever there for the racing or gambling. Not a huge loss.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Then you have the greedy places like the OTB of Colonial Downs that sells seats and you can't see the tv for people that stand in front of you--WITHOUT a seat! Plus all day whenever you get up and someone is sitting in your paid seat---"this seat is reserved".. They don't care, only game in town. The regulars (90 year old like myself ) will eventually stay at home for all the races. Computer there goes down along with the Signal for tv and they announce "don't leave your machine". Ridiculous! No I'm not 90, just making a point.

Dont Upset Pretty soon the only live racing will be at tracks with slots.
That eime is coming

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Only the stupid of the stupidest are lured to a slot machine. You give me a dollar and I'll give you 88 cents back all day long.

patswin

EOG Veteran

I could never get into betting horses seriously, the takeout %'s are too high

DrunkHorseplayer

EOG Addicted

The new policy is absolutely the correct one and, in the long term, will probably pay off. True, they had 30k fewer people in the infield but the increase in admission price and the fact that people had to buy beer ($3.50 for 16 oz. - a bargain compared with other sporting events) surely made up for some of the lost revenue. Most of the people in the infield come to party and nothing else; they hardly bet and they don't come back to the track until next year's Preakness and therefore don't make the track any money. This looks like a long term strategy to try and get the Preakness into the same class as the Derby, one well worth trying.

Brewers in 7

EOG Dedicated

While I agree it is potentially short-sighted to raise to $60, the handle was up 19%, vs off 10% for the derby. Not like the drunken morons in the infield were ever there for the racing or gambling. Not a huge loss.

the handle was up but they also ran 37 races i think that day, it was a 9+ hour card..

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

the handle was up but they also ran 37 races i think that day, it was a 9+ hour card..

Other races simulcast from Chile or some other foreign area with an agreement. Pimlico had 13 live races. The time was spread out to capture tv with the Chile races being after the 13 live races.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

Pimlico is a Shit-Hole. Any attempt to clean up the events surrounding The Preakness are too little, too late. Nobody cares about horse racing in Maryland. Very few care about horse racing in general. How they ever managed to attract a crowd of 100,000 plus is beyond me.