What does coach Cal to Kentucky do to Memphis and their recruiting?

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Re: What does coach Cal to Kentucky do to Memphis and their recruiting?

thought it was interesting to see pitino lobbying for...

ford and pelphrey to get a hard look...

the one thing i agree with pitino on...kentucky really needs a 'kentucky' guy as next hc.

this is karma though...as kentucky brought this on themselves... doing tubby smith like that...2938u4ji23

class act coach that got treated like horseshit.

tripp

EOG Master

calipari going to kentucky?!? holy shit.

uk will be a power program again within 3 year..

memphis because of this might fall back within 4 years also depending on who replaces him. they would have won the title next year though with calipari, the new recruits and evans staying

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I'm hoping Coach Cal changes his mind. I always thought he'd stay loyal to his kids and stay loyal to Memphis.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I really think like this is a mistake for Coach Cal too. Memphis will give him just as much money and he's got a dream job there. He can breeze through conference play every year and then play as a top 2 seed in the tournament. He doesn't have to worry about deranged boosters; or anything like that.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I never understood why these coaches want to go to these programs with impossible expectations. Coach Cal would have to be there for 20+ years, and be extremely successful, for him to even get the love he deserves. He can be the architecht of Memphis basketball. That can become Coach Cal court, and he can be the #1 symbol of that program, of all-time, if he stays. I would rather be that, and build a national power, and build tradition, than just inherit tradition and unreasonable expectations.

rjt721

EOG Master

Means fewer recruiting violations at Memphis, more at Kentucky.

I really think like this is a mistake for Coach Cal too. Memphis will give him just as much money and he's got a dream job there. He can breeze through conference play every year and then play as a top 2 seed in the tournament. He doesn't have to worry about deranged boosters; or anything like that.

KY baskets fans way better than memphis fans. It's a whole new place in kentucky. A new challenge, it's not about the money, new challenge, new faces, more caring city = renewed excitement.

National Championship next year baby. Meeks Patterson and Miller back, along with the addition of Orton (who is a buddy of Patterson) and Cal's #1 recruiting class following him to Lexington

:+excited-

calipari going to kentucky?!? holy shit.

uk will be a power program again within 3 year..

memphis because of this might fall back within 4 years also depending on who replaces him. they would have won the title next year though with calipari, the new recruits and evans staying

UK already has great returning players, with Orton addition, and Cal's recruiting class next year, NATTY CHAMPIONSHIP BABY!!!! Three years? How about RIGHT NOW!!!

BuzzRavanaugh

EOG Enthusiast

From what I understand Cousins and Wall follow Cal to Kentucky. Three Memphis kids transfer and the whole coaching staff goes to KY.

Orton may be done-- because he and Cousins can't play on the same team.

Xavier Henry and CJ Henry are waiting to see how this plays out. CJ is a walkon and paying his own way, Xavier has signed a LOI

Lance Stephenson is a Kansas lean and is supposed to commit at 11:45 am tomorrow---KY could jump in the middle of him as well.

Memphis is talking to Mike Anderson from Missouri.

Lots of stuff tilts based on what is happening with Calipari.

BuzzRavanaugh

EOG Enthusiast

UK already has great returning players, with Orton addition, and Cal's recruiting class next year, NATTY CHAMPIONSHIP BABY!!!! Three years? How about RIGHT NOW!!!

I think if everything comes together the way they think they are a threat to win it all next year. Definitely in good shape for the next season as the rest of the Memphis transfers become eligible in December, 2010

hell go because he is a cheating whore for money. i hope the scumbag gets put on probations. will be fat envelopes from the bluegrass boosters. lock up the women and children in lexington.

BuzzRavanaugh

EOG Enthusiast

I am hearing 8 years for $35 million-- Fedex matched it and he turns it down. Memphis would match whatever dollar amount.

Cal is all ego -- he wants to lead a storied program--there aren't too many programs like this.

hell go because he is a cheating whore for money. i hope the scumbag gets put on probations. will be fat envelopes from the bluegrass boosters. lock up the women and children in lexington.
show any proof that calipari is a cheater and i will not argue. does that mean every successful coach is a cheater? i guess roy williams cheats, and coach k, and izzo, and pitino... blanket statements and assumptions add up to jack squat. and what makes calipari a scumbag? because he wants the challenge of the hottest seat in college basketball, and is willing to put his balls on the line for the same money because he wants to be the top dog? i would say that makes him ambitious and confident. nothing wrong with a coach who is willing to step up to bat.

rjt721

EOG Master

show any proof that calipari is a cheater and i will not argue. does that mean every successful coach is a cheater? i guess roy williams cheats, and coach k, and izzo, and pitino... blanket statements and assumptions add up to jack squat. and what makes calipari a scumbag? because he wants the challenge of the hottest seat in college basketball, and is willing to put his balls on the line for the same money because he wants to be the top dog? i would say that makes him ambitious and confident. nothing wrong with a coach who is willing to step up to bat.
One word - UMASS.

tripp

EOG Master

Is Calipari's class really going to follow him though? I'd be surprised if both the top two guys he has do follow him. Even if they just get one though that'd be great for UK. Tyreke Evans won't transfer though and he was a huge reason why I thought Memphis would be favorites to win it all next year. He probably won't even stay in school now.

Expecting a title in his first year is definitely too high of expectations I'd say. If they can get in the NCAA Tournament and past the first round I'd say UK fans should be happy with the job he did.

Is Calipari's class really going to follow him though? I'd be surprised if both the top two guys he has do follow him. Even if they just get one though that'd be great for UK. Tyreke Evans won't transfer though and he was a huge reason why I thought Memphis would be favorites to win it all next year. He probably won't even stay in school now.

Expecting a title in his first year is definitely too high of expectations I'd say. If they can get in the NCAA Tournament and past the first round I'd say UK fans should be happy with the job he did.
Evans is going pro. And from what Ive heard, most if not all his recruits will follow him to hell and back. If they all go, and UK already has Meeks Patterson Miller Stevenson and the Orton kid, they will be pre-season top 10 and a motherfucker to beat next year. Im purchasing my Final Four tickets for 2010 as I type :LMAO

You must be kidding me? You do realize UK isnt losing one player (other than a shitty walk on) off the team this year and are adding Orton and at least some of Coach Cal's blue chips. I'm not gonna go any further with this, but UK will be expected to go to at least the Elite 8 next year with that team. This is Kentucky basketball Tripp. 1 and dun aint thrilling anyone, especially with the talent they will have on the court.

tripp

EOG Master

You must be kidding me? You do realize UK isnt losing one player (other than a shitty walk on) off the team this year and are adding Orton and at least some of Coach Cal's blue chips. I'm not gonna go any further with this, but UK will be expected to go to at least the Elite 8 next year with that team. This is Kentucky basketball Tripp. 1 and dun aint thrilling anyone, especially with the talent they will have on the court.

I'm just saying fans will probably get too hyped up in this first year and end up disappointed with a Sweet 16. That is wrong. They were in the fucking NIT this year in a year when it couldn't of been any easier to win the SEC. So with how this year went making the tournament next year is progress.

Calipari will get more talented guys in the program than Meeks and Patterson. They are very talented guys, but Cal gets the top tier guys. He got probably the best PG available two straight years to a school like Memphis, and was going to get two top 5 guys again this year. This was a fucking rebuilding year for Memphis and he still somehow turned them into a top 5/top 10 team.

Once Calipari has a few years to get his guys into the program and start building something Kentucky will be a 4 seed in disappointing years. They will own the SEC. Next year might be too soon to expect this to happen though.

If he somehow makes UK a power that quickly he has to be considered one of the best coaches of this era.

I'm just saying fans will probably get too hyped up in this first year and end up disappointed with a Sweet 16. That is wrong. They were in the fucking NIT this year in a year when it couldn't of been any easier to win the SEC. So with how this year went making the tournament next year is progress.

Calipari will get more talented guys in the program than Meeks and Patterson. They are very talented guys, but Cal gets the top tier guys. He got probably the best PG available two straight years to a school like Memphis, and was going to get two top 5 guys again this year. This was a fucking rebuilding year for Memphis and he still somehow turned them into a top 5/top 10 team.

Once Calipari has a few years to get his guys into the program and start building something Kentucky will be a 4 seed in disappointing years. They will own the SEC. Next year might be too soon to expect this to happen though.

If he somehow makes UK a power that quickly he has to be considered one of the best coaches of this era.

OK Tripp, well you tell me who in the SEC will have a better roster than Kentucky next year? You do realize that Nick Calathes is going pro, so not Florida. Tennessee is losing a few keys, Devon Downey is gone, ....
I think you underestimate the talent of Meeks and Patterson as well. Patterson, were he to leave right now (with much left to improve in his game), is still projected as a late 1st round pick, and Meeks as a 2nd rounder. Jay Bilas, Andy Katz, etc.. have already commented that it make take a couple of years, but they wouldnt be suprised if they were Final Four contenders next year.

UK vastly underachieved this year, though I do realize they had significant holes, such as not having a true point guard. But you add Coach Cal's guys with the top 7 footer in the country Daniel Orton in with Meeks, Patterson, and a talented Darius Miller, then you've really got something there. DeAndre Liggins played awful this year, but he has a ton of talent. Miller and Liggins are both 6-6 and 6-7, and are capable of bringing the ball up the floor. You have your opinion, I have mine. But this team already has more talent than most people realize, and the additions will make them a force. As will a coach who just wins (refer back to your comment on Memphis and what he did with them this year)...

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

From what I understand Cousins and Wall follow Cal to Kentucky. Three Memphis kids transfer and the whole coaching staff goes to KY.

Orton may be done-- because he and Cousins can't play on the same team.

Xavier Henry and CJ Henry are waiting to see how this plays out. CJ is a walkon and paying his own way, Xavier has signed a LOI

Lance Stephenson is a Kansas lean and is supposed to commit at 11:45 am tomorrow---KY could jump in the middle of him as well.

Memphis is talking to Mike Anderson from Missouri.

Lots of stuff tilts based on what is happening with Calipari.

Xavier Henry has an out in his LOI if Calipari isn't at Memphis and it sounds like he could end up at Kansas if Cal moves on. Wall just met with Duke on Sunday and now has an offer from them. Wall ends up at either Duke or where Calipari is coaching. Not sure what Cousins will do. Both Sallie and Witherspoon, current Memphis players, have stated they would follow Cal to Kentucky.

Stephenson should commit to Kansas today, if Henry were to follow him there - watch out for Kansas next year.

Hopefully he stays at MEM and UK has to go for another 2nd rate coach... they are not an elite program anymore on the floor

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Stephenson is not making a decision today. There may be a chance that Henry, Stephenson and Wall could all end up at Kentucky if Calipari goes there. If that were to happen and Patterson and Meeks stay, they move to the top of the list for contenders next year.

Rumor has it that Memphis has matched the $$ Kentucky was offering, so if he leaves it is for the prestige of Kentucky.

kentucky needs wall. he is the point guard they are missing the most.

rjt721

EOG Master

Convinced yet?

tripp

EOG Master

Convinced yet?

It's all just alleged at this point, is it not? I actually thought the investigation came up with nothing last week and there was no proof of any cheating.