Poker hand evaluation

madsiz

EOG Addicted
As stated in another thread, I just picked up online poker again, so I have no stats for any of my opponents. Here was my hand of the nite:

1-2 no limit 9 handed, cash game: i'm the small blind with pocket jacks, 2 callers to the button, button raises to 9, I make it $20, fold to button, who shoves with $300. I have only $120.

What to do?

shdw01

EOG Dedicated
Re: Poker hand evaluation

I put this guy on AA/KK/QQ/TT/99/AK/AQ/AT...maybe a few Axs but from what I listed, you are good against 3 of the more likely scenarios, not good against 3 less likely scenarios, and flipping with the rest....I would fold and pick a better spot but I won't call you an idiot if you make the call here.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

yeah its tough to make an assessment without information on the villain so folding is correct assuming he is a solid player

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

Fold. He has the chips. You're a little better than a flip, at best, IMO.

Him having more chips has no bearing on the situation. I'm NOT trying to bust your balls here, I promise, but it is very obvious you have zero to very little cash game experience. Chip stacks only matter in tournaments12io4j2w90

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Him having more chips has no bearing on the situation. I'm NOT trying to bust your balls here, I promise, but it is very obvious you have zero to very little cash game experience. Chip stacks only matter in tournaments12io4j2w90

I know they have very little barring in this situation, but he has him covered. Odds are, he has a bomb had. He isn't pushing in that spot with anything smaller than KK. You can believe otherwise, but he has AK suited, KK, or AA. End of story. At best, you are close to a flip as I said. Odds are, you're a dog.

I always ask people this question. Why get your money all in pre flop, with out having AA or KK? I'll live to see another day. You're getting a 2-1 on your call, basically, and it makes no sense to make a move with JJ there. Ever. Just my opinion. I'm a tight player, and I love to see flops.

The Devil

EOG Master

??? How much do you left in yout account if you lose the hand????

Does another $120 kill you???

you have 14% of your money already in the hand.........I like to gamble.......don't know the situation with money at the table from the other players.......don't know if the raiser was a bully......BUT.......it sounds like a position raise to 9 and to some to raise to $20 was just a reraise to see if the $9 bet was bullshit.........only thing i dont like about the Jacks in this hand is no ace-rag called a $2 bet which usuall happens in 1-2 so thats telling me there were probably no aces around and no k-q, k-j floating around either...........if there were 1 or 2 calls at $2 I probably call........but head to head in your position with no callers I probably muck..........

and when he shows and tosses 2-9 in my face I crack the MF........

cheapseats

EOG Master

Rather than raise, I would have called. As Shadow defined the possible hands, you get to the flop fairly cheaply and happen to catch a set, you're in good now to make the raise.. JJ in this particular position begs for a call IMO.

BTW, as you can tell, I play a little more to the vest than some previous comments here.

The Devil

EOG Master

AGREE WITH CHEAPSEATS ON THE YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF JUST CALLING THE $9 RAISE.........WHEN THE 10-6-4 FLOPS....YOU CAN MAKE A DECISION WHAT TO DO....AND IF THE A-10-8 FLOPS IT MAKES IT EASIER TO NOT LOOK LIKE YOU HAD ANYTHING WHEN UR CARDS HIT THE MUCK...............

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

I know they have very little barring in this situation, but he has him covered. Odds are, he has a bomb had. He isn't pushing in that spot with anything smaller than KK. You can believe otherwise, but he has AK suited, KK, or AA. End of story. At best, you are close to a flip as I said. Odds are, you're a dog.

I always ask people this question. Why get your money all in pre flop, with out having AA or KK? I'll live to see another day. You're getting a 2-1 on your call, basically, and it makes no sense to make a move with JJ there. Ever. Just my opinion. I'm a tight player, and I love to see flops.

no i agree with you that is a fold, no doubt about it...just pointing out that he should not be folding because the other guy has a lot more $ than him...if the villain has a history of being a donkey then you move in with this hand

Trying to steal your 20 with a bluff would be a mistake based on the chip count. Tough spot if you don't know the players bad habits ...

madsiz

EOG Addicted

Rather than raise, I would have called. As Shadow defined the possible hands, you get to the flop fairly cheaply and happen to catch a set, you're in good now to make the raise.. JJ in this particular position begs for a call IMO.

BTW, as you can tell, I play a little more to the vest than some previous comments here.

When I think it over, I should have just called. I had a couple of players acting behind me also. Tough choice either way.

I did fold the hand, so we'll never know what he had. FYI, that was the second round of blinds for me, and he made the same raise previously on the button. But he didn't raise the next time around.

Looks like there's alot of poker knowledge on this board.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I would've folded before he finished putting his money in the middle. Sometimes it's just obvious when your opponent has a better hand and in my mind there's no shame in folding. Swallow your pride and dump it.

konck

EOG Veteran

If your playing online you call hoping he has AA or KK then you win

KimLee

EOG Member

there's a lot of poker knowledge on this board.

There are better poker forums; this thread has some poor logic.

In a tournament there is value to preserving your stack. But the only important consideration in a cash game is the pot equity. You are getting 7:5 on the final call, so you need to win 42%.

You are slightly ahead of AK and AQ and get crushed by AA, KK, and QQ. But AK and AQ occur more frequently than big pairs. At 42.6% it is a close call against {AQ+,QQ+}. If he wouldn't reraise AQ then you should fold. But if he would reraise AJ or TT then you should call.

betfirstclass

EOG Dedicated

NOWWWWWWWWWWW that's funny, but after that 60 min special I don't know if I'd be laughing if I lost 6++++ figures on ONLINE POKER as many many many people did

akillies

EOG Veteran

big stack on the button trying to bully the new player around, is how i see it with no other info. I am thinking why would he go all in if he had aa or kk, wouldnt he want a call? my best guess would be he held a marginal hand.

felonee

EOG Veteran

Im guessing he had kk or qq and didn't want to see an Ace come on the flop..its a lot of $ to push in on for your $20