Bigger surprise playoff run..NYG or AZ?

tripp

EOG Master
Which to you was a bigger surprise, and a more impressive upset story, the Giants in 07-08 or the Cards in 08-09?

To me it's the Giants easily. I know most will say AZ, but for me this is an easy answer because for one Arizona had two home games, Giants had none. Secondly and more importantly is the quality of teams they had to play. AZ played a surprise Atlanta team that isn't for real. They will be a .500 team most likely next year. Then they played a very overrated Carolina team that I can also see missing the playoffs next year. Lastly they get the crappy Eagles who are not even a playoff team this year. They relied on teams beating themselves to get that far and finally AZ put that pathetic team to rest. How people thought the Eagles were a good football team I'll never know. Giants had to beat arguably the three best teams in football last year in the Packers, the Cowboys (both on the road), and finally they beat a top 3 football team of all time in the Patriots.

Az has a very nice story this year and I'm happy to see them in the Super Bowl (can't see them winning though), but to me the Giants run was much more impressive and a more surprising upset run.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Re: Bigger surprise playoff run..NYG or AZ?

Arizona because they played horrible down the stretch. The Giants had a lot of momentum going into the playoffs. Hard to win with no running game or defense, but give the Cards their due.

tripp

EOG Master

Arizona because they played horrible down the stretch. The Giants had a lot of momentum going into the playoffs. Hard to win with no running game or defense, but give the Cards their due.

I'm not trying to diminish what the Cards accomplished because it's a very big thing just for the sole fact they are perennial losers. This is a great moment for the franchise even if they beat average at best teams to get there. Arizona deserves to celebrate this moment no doubt.

The point I was just trying to make was I consider the Giants run last year much more surprising and impressive because of the quality of teams they had to beat and they didn't play any home games.

AZ will not have the invincible unbeatable Patriots to deal with in the Super Bowl.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I'm not trying to diminish what the Cards accomplished because it's a very big thing just for the sole fact they are perennial losers. This is a great moment for the franchise even if they beat average at best teams to get there. Arizona deserves to celebrate this moment no doubt.

The point I was just trying to make was I consider the Giants run last year much more surprising and impressive because of the quality of teams they had to beat and they didn't play any home games.

But they won something like 6 out of 7, only losing to NE going to the playoffs. Arizona was limping into the playoffs.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

az is actually the bigger surprise, but the giants feat was harder because they had to win 3 road games.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

would be more comparable to the Steelers of a few years back...they won 3 road games to get to SB then beat Seattle....they also beat some REAL good teams to get there..

maverick

EOG Veteran

would be more comparable to the Steelers of a few years back...they won 3 road games to get to SB then beat Seattle....they also beat some REAL good teams to get there..

And also had the benefit of some very questionable calls in the SB:doh1

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

'zona...

still amazed at the beatdown they put on the panthers.