bradford should leave, sanchez should stay

gridironguy

EOG Veteran
bradford just won the heisman and played in the bcs title gm, put up all world stats this season. losing lotsa o-linemen, wr's, and maybe the te early. new offensive starters all around him next season = worst stats and could be devastating to his draft stock. only way to go is down. i believe bradford should leave as he will be either the 1st or 2nd qb taken. probably a top 3 pick either #1 to detroit or #3 to kc. stafford the other guy in the mix.

sanchez would probably be the 3rd qb taken behind bradford and stafford. sanchez has great upside. problem is he only has one yr starting experience and had a bad knee to start the season. pros could be concerned about the knee and only one yr starting. bradford started 2 yrs, stafford started 3.

i believe bradford leaves and sanchez stays, and that's probably the best decision for both guys.

stafford is obviously gone from georgia already.

Heim

EOG Master
Re: bradford should leave, sanchez should stay

>sanchez would probably be the 3rd qb taken behind bradford and stafford.<

Not a chance in hell....Sanchez is gone. Top five pick. Question is where
in the top five....that's the reason for the recent Mexican hat dancing.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

i believe that when we look back at these 3 qb's in 10 yrs, sanchez will be the best of the 3, but that doesn't mean he should declare right now. if the combine numbers and showings look the same between these 3 guys, bradford and stafford will get the nod as higher draft picks, imo. all 3 are tall with strong arms. sanchez probably the strongest arm, but bradford the best touch. stafford all around is solid. bradford with 2 yrs of starting experience, he did injure the left hand but it is the non-throwing hand. stafford has 3 yrs of starting experience in the sec, no major injuries. sanchez has just 1 yr of starting experience, and the bad knee to start the season might have some pro scouts worried. i don't think it's a slam-dunk that he'll stay or leave. we'll find out by tomorrow.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

espn reporting a 5:30 pm east time press conf where bradford will announce he is returning to ou. if true, i believe this is a mistake that bradford will regret, much in the way that leinart and colt brennan have probably regretted. strike when the iron is hot, me thinks any way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3832957

i would not take this 'source' too seriously though because some sources claimed last week that bradford was going to leave ou. we'll see.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

>sanchez would probably be the 3rd qb taken behind bradford and stafford.<

Not a chance in hell....Sanchez is gone. Top five pick. Question is where
in the top five....that's the reason for the recent Mexican hat dancing.

now that bradford has confirmed he's staying, sanchez should declare.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

and the complete opposite happens!

yes, but many in the know are questioning bradford's decision, and when he opted to stay, word is it was a no-brainer for sanchez. lucky guess by the poster above that only happened because bradford stayed at okla.

LobWedgePhil

EOG Addicted

Bradford made a mistake, he loses 4 of 5 Oline and his top two receivers, not sure what he is thinking, but can't wait to see him in Dallas this year.

tripp

EOG Master

Not really sure Bradford is making a mistake. Yes, he would have likely been #1 this year or at least at top 5 pick, but he will next year too. He is an amazing QB, not just a system guy like Brennen or Harrall. I'm sure you guys whats the NC game and if you did Bradford should have blown you away. The accuracy of his passes are amazing. He outplayed Tebow by a wide margin. Bradford will be a top 3 pick whenever he wants to leave OU, but as for now he is just enjoying the college life and who can blame him.

Sanchez will be a phenominal pro. I honestly think this guy has the potential to one day be the best QB in the NFL and win an MVP. He will be great, no doubt in my mind. Stafford also has the ability to be that good and he might be the most pro ready. He has a cannon arm and is a very smart pocket passer. Stafford didn't put up huge numbers, but I love his game and he is a guy that will be better in the NFL than he was in college.

Bradford/Stafford/Sanchez/McCoy had the ability to be the best QB draft class of all time, or at least one of them. Now it will just be Stafford/Sanchez and although that's still very strong with two guys that should be perenial pro bowl players, it's not as deep which hurts teams like Philadelphia, Chicago and Minnesota that might have been able to get a great QB late in the 1st round.

mofome

Banned

he may get hurt, but he is a norman baby. he wants to win it all.

im not as sold as sanchez. #1 hs recruit and all that, but he didnt amaze me. I think the fresh they have coming in now will be the best of the usc qbs.

LobWedgePhil

EOG Addicted

By your exact reasoning, that is why I think Bradford is making a mistake. He is giving up an unbelievable amount of money to stay, he could easily get hurt next year, or something happen. I love when college guys stay, but when they are pretty much a sure top 10 pick, and the money they would get would set them for life, that's what I don't understand. I guess sometimes it's not about the money.

Sanchez sucks, I can't believe he is going to be picked that high. Oh well he will be a bust.

LobWedgePhil

EOG Addicted

Mo, he has no chance of winning it all next year. Come to Dallas for the game, I will give you a ticket, you can see what will happen. Next year is going to be nasty after what happened this year.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

By your exact reasoning, that is why I think Bradford is making a mistake. He is giving up an unbelievable amount of money to stay, he could easily get hurt next year, or something happen. I love when college guys stay, but when they are pretty much a sure top 10 pick, and the money they would get would set them for life, that's what I don't understand. I guess sometimes it's not about the money.

i think the fact he is a rs soph with 2 yrs left had a lot to do with it. if for some reason, the youngsters around him don't have a good yr and sam's numbers drop, he always has his sr yr to come back and right the ship where those youngsters from 09 will be primed and ready to go in 2010. this is the best explanation i can come up with for why a heisman winner who is at worst the 2nd qb picked and a top 5 guy would not leave right the fukk now.

ballwonder

EOG Master

I am glad Bradford is staying. Same reason as Tebow. No need to rush to the nfl for the money and glory. Glad to see some still have a sense of what matters.

texansfan

EOG Master

I am glad Bradford is staying. Same reason as Tebow. No need to rush to the nfl for the money and glory. Glad to see some still have a sense of what matters.

I agree. I would never put down a kid because of his decision to stay in college. For some people, it's not always about the money...

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

I agree. I would never put down a kid because of his decision to stay in college. For some people, it's not always about the money...

those 'some people' come from healthy financial backgrounds, so they can afford to stay in school. are you implying that for mark sanchez and matt stafford it's all about the money?

ballwonder

EOG Master

those 'some people' come from healthy financial backgrounds, so they can afford to stay in school. are you implying that for mark sanchez and matt stafford it's all about the money?

Cannot speak for him but when you go to college you go four years. You committed and most of these guys were awarded scholarships to attend the colleges that most dream of. I admire guys that stay that four years and get the education or at least the obligation they made when coming aboard. JMO.

texansfan

EOG Master

Hard to say, I don't know them. My only point was that while people in the media are ripping Bradford for choosing to leave I won't. I do know that the player's union is also in favor of limiting the amount of money a player can make coming out of college starting in 2010.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Cannot speak for him but when you go to college you go four years. You committed and most of these guys were awarded scholarships to attend the colleges that most dream of. I admire guys that stay that four years and get the education or at least the obligation they made when coming aboard. JMO.

1. the colleges are making millions of dollars out of these athletes, so i cannot blame a kid for taking millions to leave early

2. most of the kids who stay 4 yrs, or usually 5, were not good enough to consider coming out early any way, so staying in school and getting their degree is the way to go. only 1/10 of 1% will even make the NFL so for 99.9% it's better to keep going to school because quite frankly, you're not good enough to make the NFL, kid.

3. 4th yr juniors like sanchez have often finished their degrees by the end of their 'athletic jr yr' which is their 'academic sr yr'

4. if you would not jump at millions and millions of dollars that the nfl was willing to give you then you are either a liar or a moron

texansfan

EOG Master

1. the colleges are making millions of dollars out of these athletes, so i cannot blame a kid for taking millions to leave early

2. most of the kids who stay 4 yrs, or usually 5, were not good enough to consider coming out early any way, so staying in school and getting their degree is the way to go. only 1/10 of 1% will even make the NFL so for 99.9% it's better to keep going to school because quite frankly, you're not good enough to make the NFL, kid.

3. 4th yr juniors like sanchez have often finished their degrees by the end of their 'athletic jr yr' which is their 'academic sr yr'

4. if you would not jump at millions and millions of dollars that the nfl was willing to give you then you are either a liar or a moron

Whose blaming anyone? There are athletes in this world who aren't playing sports strictly for the money. So, by your post you're saying that Bradford is a moron? Why?

What about Pat Tillman? I believe he gave up millions to join the Army. I have no problem with anyone leaving college early to get paid. Again, as I stated in my first post, there are athletes who aren't consumed by money.

tripp

EOG Master

i understand what you're saying about passing up the millions of dollars, but its not like he isn't going to get that money, he just has to wait a year to do so. you have to ask yourself a question, what does money do? it enhances your quality of life, no doubt about it. thing is, these guys for the most part will NEVER have as good of quality of life as they do right now in college. the are the kings on campus and pretty much in the entire city for places like USC and Oklahoma. sam bradford could get whatever he wants in OU. his life will never be better and more fun than it is right now, even if he has to put up with the school work bullshit. his friends are all staying, and the college game is more fun to play because it's not taken as a job like the NFL.

the money will come, right now hes just enjoying life and who can blame him. life for him will probably always be great, but its at its peak right now in college. of coarse you could make the argument well, what if he gets hurt? the chances are incredibly slim that this happens, and even if it does happen, he is still likely to be drafted high and get paid millions in guaranteed money. willis magahee and frank gore had serious injuries in college and both got drafted and made huge money, then went on to have successful careers. injuries heal and somebody in the first round would take a shot with him.

i would have understood him leaving early for the likely 30 million dollars or so that would be waiting for him, but i understand him fully wanting to just enjoy life next year at OU. not a bad decision at all

Heim

EOG Master

Ball, get a clue. If Bradford and Tebow had any inkling they'd
be a lottery pick (for lack of better words) they would have declared.
There is no interest. Bradford late 1st, Tebow they say from 3rd-5th
rounds. Sanchez is going high therefore taking the money and running
is the smart thing to do.

Look at the Shaun Livingston story. He absolutely would have had
a career ending injury in college and working at McDonalds by now.

You take the money, after all isn't that what a degree is all
about getting a better job for more money...

texansfan

EOG Master

Tebow has a 10 million dollar insurance policy in case he gets hurt. I'm sure Bradford either has one or will get one. I have never believed Tebow was a first round pick but I believe Bradford would be in the top 15.

tripp

EOG Master

Ball, get a clue. If Bradford and Tebow had any inkling they'd
be a lottery pick (for lack of better words) they would have declared.
There is no interest. Bradford late 1st

umm...bradford would have been top 5 no doubt and maybe 1st overall this year:+clueless

it's just like when leinart stayed when he would have maybe been 1st overall, and instead slipped to 7th the year after. leinart had all the interest in him in the world, just wanted to stay in college.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

umm...bradford would have been top 5 no doubt and maybe 1st overall this year:+clueless

it's just like when leinart stayed when he would have maybe been 1st overall, and instead slipped to 7th the year after. leinart had all the interest in him in the world, just wanted to stay in college.

bradford would've been without a doubt the 1st or 2nd qb taken which meant top 5 this yr considering team needs.

leinart slipped all the way to 10th, not 7th.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

You know it's fine for you, gridironguy, to have an opinion on whether Sanchez should stay at USC or go to the NFL, just like it's fine for his coach, Pete Carroll, to have an opinion. But the decision is up to Sanchez...once he makes that decision, his coach should at least publicly support him. Pete Carroll looks like a prima donna in this press conference by his petulant attitude towards Sanchez. I think every coach in the country should make a video of this press conference and show it to every recruit who has any thought about going to USC.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

You know it's fine for you, gridironguy, to have an opinion on whether Sanchez should stay at USC or go to the NFL, just like it's fine for his coach, Pete Carroll, to have an opinion. But the decision is up to Sanchez...once he makes that decision, his coach should at least publicly support him. Pete Carroll looks like a prima donna in this press conference by his petulant attitude towards Sanchez. I think every coach in the country should make a video of this press conference and show it to every recruit who has any thought about going to USC.

i can't imagine how any usc and or carroll fan could not watch that presser and not feel disappointed in him. he sulked like a baby and made an ass out of himself. made me wonder if he's looking out for pete or mark. when bradford announced he was staying, the no brainer was for sanchez to leave. the kid will get his degree this spring and is a 4th yr jr. no brainer for him to leave as he will undoubtedly be the 1st or 2nd qb taken.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I agree...I felt the same way when I watched it on ESPN and then Kirk Herbstreit, whom I used to respect, comes on immediately and says what a great guy Carroll is, always looking out for his kids and telling them to go pro if they're ready and all this BS.

Jason Whitlock was correct...ESPN is the enemy of truth

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Got to give the 2 ESPN talking heads on First Take credit today, they both agreed that Pete Carroll was acting selfish and not in the best interest of his QB, Sanchez. As I said, it's fine for Carroll to disagree with Sanchez about leaving USC and even fine for him to try and talk him out of it. But he comes across looking real selfish when he goes to the press conference and acts like a prima donna, and his remarks will definitely hurt Sanchez in the eyes of NFL management. This should be used against Carroll by other NCAA coaches who recruit against him.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

bradford just won the heisman and played in the bcs title gm, put up all world stats this season. losing lotsa o-linemen, wr's, and maybe the te early. new offensive starters all around him next season = worst stats and could be devastating to his draft stock. only way to go is down. i believe bradford should leave as he will be either the 1st or 2nd qb taken. probably a top 3 pick either #1 to detroit or #3 to kc. stafford the other guy in the mix.

sanchez would probably be the 3rd qb taken behind bradford and stafford. sanchez has great upside. problem is he only has one yr starting experience and had a bad knee to start the season. pros could be concerned about the knee and only one yr starting. bradford started 2 yrs, stafford started 3.

i believe bradford leaves and sanchez stays, and that's probably the best decision for both guys.

stafford is obviously gone from georgia already.

12io4j2w90

rjt721

EOG Master

they have too many guys who look the same, interchangeable parts, kobe, lamar, ariza, etc, but MOST importantly they are too soft, gasol is soft, bynum is soft, the backcourt is soft, no one does the dirty work and mixes it up, they have no interior defense, their down low post gm is too inconsistent

the reason the nuggets and the cavs are > to the lakers is that they are built better with guys who are not only more talented than ppl think but they understand their roles, they know how to get down and dirty and play defense which is something the lakers do not have

the lakers of '08 and '09 are like the mavericks of '06, they are very pretty to watch because they have fluid, smooth players who are interchangeable, but they do not have the intangibles and the hustle and dirty work in their game to get it done

name an NBA championship team from the last 25 yrs and i will show you at least 2 key players on each team who knew how to do the dirty work and i will name at least 5 key players who surrounded the superstars and knew their roles

the lakers are DONE, no championship coming for kobe without shaq and probably not even another finals appearance

12io4j2w90

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Oh man, Ditka is on fire.

Sanchez in the playoffs and Bradford a top 5 pick this year. It must suck being wrong this often.

They both should have left last year. Sanchez because he was getting picked to high and bradford because his stock was never going to get higher.

Bradford was smart. He didn't want to play for the Lions. He's still a top 10 pick and now doesn't have to spend the first 3-5 years of his career getting crushed every time he drops back.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

These type of post are so funny. Now Sanchez is Johnny Unitas. If Detroit would have drafted him we would be talking about a bust right now. It is amazing how a dominate defense hides certain quarterbacks. Just ask Mcnab. The good thing for Sanchez is that he gets to develop behind that defense. Mcnab, Couch, Smith. Which one had the dominating defense and which two guys played with brutal defenses? The one that is still in the league had the dominating defense(Mcnab). Hell Mcnab has all the weapons in the world now but guess what? His defense finally sucks. which shows you just how mediocre the guy really is.